First mention and types and shadows and spiritual warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First mention and types and shadows and spiritual warfare

First things first... these two things are sometimes abused. I understand that. However, we need to be careful with throwing them out because someone goes to far. IOW, there are two ditches... on one side, they are rarely used and on the other side, they are products of imagination.

With that said, it is interesting to me that love and worship are first mentioned with Abraham offering Isaac. IMO, this is a picture of God the Father and Jesus. Here is an interesting verse:

Gen 22:2 Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, whom you love--Isaac--and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you."

God referred here to Isaac as Abraham's only son, whom he loved. That is very much like John 3:16. And there are many parallels that most of you are familiar with to verify the type/shadow. It was 3 days journey to the mountain. Isaac carried the wood up the mountain. The mountain was the future location of Jerusalem/place of worship. And so on. As he started up the mountain, Abraham called what he was going to do "worship". He said "the lad and I go to worship and we will return to you". That's the first mention of worship. Is there any worship greater than offering ourselves as a living sacrifice unto the Lord God? Romans 12 speaks to this.

My point?

Isn't it interesting that the very first mention of Satan in the scriptures is as a type and shadow:

Gen 3:1 1Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, “Indeed, has God said, ‘You shall not eat from any tree of the garden’?”

IMO, if we want to truly understand warfare, we need to understand the types and shadows.

God bless!

Mark
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Re: First mention and types and shadows and spiritual warfare

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
    First things first... these two things are sometimes abused. I understand that. However, we need to be careful with throwing them out because someone goes to far. IOW, there are two ditches... on one side, they are rarely used and on the other side, they are products of imagination.

With that said, it is interesting to me that love and worship are first mentioned with Abraham offering Isaac. IMO, this is a picture of God the Father and Jesus. Here is an interesting verse:

Gen 22:2 Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, whom you love--Isaac--and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you."

God referred here to Isaac as Abraham's only son, whom he loved. That is very much like John 3:16. And there are many parallels that most of you are familiar with to verify the type/shadow. It was 3 days journey to the mountain. Isaac carried the wood up the mountain. The mountain was the future location of Jerusalem/place of worship. And so on. As he started up the mountain, Abraham called what he was going to do "worship". He said "the lad and I go to worship and we will return to you". That's the first mention of worship. Is there any worship greater than offering ourselves as a living sacrifice unto the Lord God? Romans 12 speaks to this.

My point?

Isn't it interesting that the very first mention of Satan in the scriptures is as a type and shadow:

Gen 3:1 1Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, “Indeed, has God said, ‘You shall not eat from any tree of the garden’?”

IMO, if we want to truly understand warfare, we need to understand the types and shadows.

God bless!

Mark
    Your right, however can you explain why Isaac is identifed as Abraham's only son when Abraham had other sons?

IN HIM,
    maverick

Comment

Originally posted by maverick View Post
      Your right, however can you explain why Isaac is identifed as Abraham's only son when Abraham had other sons?

IN HIM,
      maverick
      The sonship is in reference to him being the only heir or possible carrier of God's blessing. Ishmael was also Abraham's son, but prior to this event, he had been exiled from the family:

Sarah said to Abraham, “Cast out this slave woman with her son, for the son of this slave woman shall not be heir with my son Isaac." ... God said to Abraham, "Whatever Sarah says to you, do as she tells you, for through Isaac shall your offspring be named." (Genesis 21)

Evidently God viewed Isaac as the only legitimate son, heir, and continuation of His promise. That's why the sacrifice was such a big deal, because there was no covenant for Ishmael:

And Abraham said to God, “Oh that Ishmael might live before you!” God said, “No, but Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him. [Although Ishmael] shall father twelve princes, and I will make him into a great nation ... I will establish my covenant with Isaac. (Genesis 17)

So, "your only son" is directly referencing the offspring covenant, which Ishmael was not accounted for.

Because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son ... in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed. (Genesis 22)
      「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
      撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

Originally posted by maverick View Post

IN HIM,
        maverick
        He was the son of promise. The other son was a son of flesh. Flesh first, spiritual 2nd. God never has recognized what we do in the flesh as legitimate. All the other sons Abraham had were born after he had offered up Isaac.
        13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
        NASU

Comment

Carrying on....

In the new testiment, we see some intereting "types". In the most important parable, or key parable in the NT is found in Mark 4 and Mark 13. Jesus said of this parable: Mark 4:13 And He said to them, "Do you not understand this parable? And how will you understand all the parables? And it is key because it shows us how important the condition of our heart is to understanding God, i.e. receiving what is sown into our heart and abiding in it.

In Mark 4:3-4, Jesus says this "Listen to this! Behold, the sower went out to sow; 4 and it came about that as he was sowing, some seed fell beside the road, and the birds came and ate it up." In verse 15, Jesus gives us the key to understanding who the birds are: 15 "And these are the ones who are beside the road where the word is sown; and when they hear, immediately Satan comes and takes away the word which has been sown in them."

We see the same type in Revelation 18:2 And he cried out with a mighty voice, saying, "Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great! And she has become a dwelling place of demons and a prison of every unclean spirit, and a prison of every unclean and hateful bird"

Birds of the air can often refer to the demonic in scripture. Let's look again at Gen 3:1 "Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made." We also know from Revelations, that the serpant is Satan. Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world;..." So the serpant is also a type and shadow of Satan and his hoard. But what about the "beast of the field"? Was God saying in Gen 3:1 that Satan was more suble than lions and tigers? Or was he saying that snakes are smarter than bulls? Neither of those fit, IMO. So let's compare some NT scripture. In 1 Peter, Peter states that Satan is like a "roaring lion". To me that sounds like a beast of the field. In 1 Cor 15, Paul wrote about fighting with beasts at Ephesus. 1 Cor 15:32 If from human motives I fought with wild beasts at Ephesus, what does it profit me? What did Paul write to the Ephesians about their fight? He said our fight is not against flesh and blood but against principalities, etc. IMO, we can see where Paul fought with beasts in Acts 19.

We see then that birds, snakes and beasts can be used in scripture to refer to the demonic. Satan is more suble than all the other demons that were created. He is smarter than us and he wars against us. We should not be ignorant of his devices.

God bless!
          NASU

Comment

All you have to do is go to countries in parts of Africa and Asia to find out why snakes are reviled.
            Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
            Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

Great thread Brother Mark! You're always stirring us up to KNOW what we believe. Love it and God bless you!

Comment

Originally posted by teddyv View Post
                All you have to do is go to countries in parts of Africa and Asia to find out why snakes are reviled.
                Was out in the bush for 2 weeks in Africa. Nobody there liked snakes... including me. And for very good reason!
                NASU

Comment

Having laid a very small foundation... now we can look at a verse that at first glance seems very strange. But once the types and shadows are evident, something opens up for us.

Mark 1:13 And He was in the wilderness forty days being tempted by Satan; and He was with the wild beasts, and the angels were ministering to Him.

What was God saying here? That Jesus was with lions and tigers and that was important for us to know? Not in my opinion. When Satan was tempting Jesus in the wilderness, he was taking his best shot. He brought demons with him (perhaps all of them) to attack Jesus. Jesus was with "the wild beasts". It go so bad, that God sent angels to minister to Jesus.

Now we can more fully appreciate the passsage in Hebrews where it says that "Jesus was tempted in every way as we are but without sin". Every demonic temptation of self rule, lust, pride, anger, etc. was put in front of Christ, but He held firm never once giving into temptation.

More later.

God bless!
                  NASU

Comment

Although I agree that there are some striking and important parables in Scriptures I find it equally important to test every theory and interpretation by explicit biblical doctrine. Without it we are capable of travelling to Mars or Venus--bad idea. We need an anchor to keep us tied to truth so that our carnal imaginations do not get the best of us.

Jesus used parables often to confuse those who didn't really want to know the deep truths of the Spirit, who had no interest in having love for the Son of God. So they were left with simple moral truths, and could not apply them specifically without condemning themselves.

If Satan is not something we want to focus on too much it's best to keep him as veiled as possible, only exposing darkness when it becomes a threat of sinning. I find it interesting that so little is said about Satan and demons, although the understanding literally "blew up" in the time of Jesus. That's when the demons came out of their caves, and were exposed by the Light.

The symbolism of Messiah contained in the story of Abraham and Isaac, and throughout the entirety of the OT Scriptures, it utterly amazing and interesting. Everything is tied to Jesus because the whole world was made for him, along with the whole universe. To locate these parallels is not only important but fun!

Comment

Originally posted by randyk View Post
                      Although I agree that there are some striking and important parables in Scriptures I find it equally important to test every theory and interpretation by explicit biblical doctrine. Without it we are capable of travelling to Mars or Venus--bad idea. We need an anchor to keep us tied to truth so that our carnal imaginations do not get the best of us.
                      Indeed! It is important that we let scripture interpret scripture. Well said!

Jesus used parables often to confuse those who didn't really want to know the deep truths of the Spirit, who had no interest in having love for the Son of God. So they were left with simple moral truths, and could not apply them specifically without condemning themselves.
                      If Jesus taught this way in the NT, should we be surprised if the OT is also like that? He put the story together, and it is real history, but it is also a parable that teaches a deeper truth.

Proverbs 25:2 says something like that "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the heart of kings to search it out".

If Satan is not something we want to focus on too much it's best to keep him as veiled as possible, only exposing darkness when it becomes a threat of sinning. I find it interesting that so little is said about Satan and demons, although the understanding literally "blew up" in the time of Jesus. That's when the demons came out of their caves, and were exposed by the Light.
                      We are not to be ignorant of the enemies devices though. Rather, we need to be sober and vigilant. Perhaps more on this a little later.

The symbolism of Messiah contained in the story of Abraham and Isaac, and throughout the entirety of the OT Scriptures, it utterly amazing and interesting. Everything is tied to Jesus because the whole world was made for him, along with the whole universe. To locate these parallels is not only important but fun!
                      Amen!!!! And rewarding!
                      NASU

Comment

Carrying on a little bit more:

On the cross, Jesus quoted the 22nd Psalm "My God, My God, why has Thou forsaken me". It was all about what he was experiencing at that time on the cross. He didn't have to quote the whole thing for us to know, He wanted us to read the whole thing. Let's look at that Psalm. For our purposes here though, let us focus on a few verses:

11 Be not far from me, for trouble is near;
                        For there is none to help.
                        12 Many bulls have surrounded me;
                        Strong bulls of Bashan have encircled me.
                        13 They open wide their mouth at me,
                        As a ravening and a roaring lion.

Where were the bulls of bashan when He was there? Nothing in the NT speaks of these things. And for sure, if a roaring lion was at the cross, or wild bulls, then no one else would have been there! But there was one who was far more dangerous than an earthly lion, or earlthy bull. These are "beasts of the field". Satan was referred to as a "roaring lion" in 1 Peter 5. And Satan was roaring through the bulls that were at the cross of Christ. What did he roar?

So not only was Jesus with the wild beasts in the desert, they were with him at the cross too. And what did they say (their roaring) to Him?

They said "You saved others, save yourself". Yet it was Jesus that taught us that if we seek to save our life, then we will lose it. But if we lose our life for His sake, then we will save it. The enemy was tempting Jesus "Come down off that cross" and they knew He could. He had the power to do so. The enemy continued to attack His identity and His faith/trust in God the Father. "Prophesy and tell us who hit you" and "If you are the son of God, come down off that cross" and "He trusts in God, let Him deliver Him now". Have you not heard some of these things in your own thinking? Have you never heard "Do not endure this cross and deny yourself. God doesn't really love you so why trust Him? If God loved you, would He let you endure such suffering? Lay down that cross and live! Your suffering is in vain. You should not have to deny yourself and endure such things."

If we look rightly, we can see the roaring lion and bulls of bashan were indeed at the cross and they were speaking lies to Jesus. And they will speak lies to us too.

More later.

God bless!
                        NASU

Comment

Nice work here Brother Mark, thank you.

I especially enjoyed reading how you presented parables as types too.
                          Well, probably because Jesus's parables are my third favorite things found in our bibles.

My second favorite is Proverbs.

And *drum-roll* first favorite is where I am hidden in Christ Jesus !

God bless
                          Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.
                          Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow

Comment

Working...
                          X