Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Christians continue in Sin, are they uncoverted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Christians continue in Sin, are they uncoverted?

I don't know if there's one good answer for why people who say they are Christians continue to sin. I do know Christ measures our progress not our perfection. He's the one who will judge.

But there are a lot of so-called Christians who live lives of sin willingly and aren't even concerned about it; these are the ones who probably aren't actually converted.

Others are caught in an addiction of one kind or another; or have some kind of disorder that makes them susceptible to certain sins. Christians caught in this dilemma should have our utmost love and concern because it's a hellish existence and can easily cause a person to give up.

Some people may be immature as Christians as we find examples of in the New Testament. They may not be aware that what they're doing is that serious—they may need to grow and understand more completely.

In any event, I don't believe we shouldn't automatically assume a person isn't truly converted if they continue to sin.

Comment

Originally posted by TMarcum View Post
      I agree with you. But this passage of scripture is controversial.

I have heard some suggest that a born again Christian will not sin based on the scripture below. But this would be taking the passage out of context. One thing worth noting is, where it mentions "his seed" remaineth in him. The seed referred to here is the indwelling of the spirit of Christ. It is the spirit of Christ that is being referred to as, who cannot sin. This is our inner man that dwells within us, being the spirit of Christ.

When we do sin, it is not the spirit of Christ, but as a result of giving into the lust of the flesh.

1 John 3:9
      Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
      Yes, it is controversial and I've heard three different interpretations for 1 John 3:9. Those who are born of God never sin at all (sinless perfection in the flesh) those who are born of God do not practice sin and each one having been begotten (or born) of God does not do sin because His (God’s) seed in him remains, and he (or it) is not able to sin because He (or it) has been begotten (or born) of God. I strongly disagree with the sinless perfection of the flesh view.
      Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Comment

Originally posted by pdun459 View Post
        But there are a lot of so-called Christians who live lives of sin willingly and aren't even concerned about it; these are the ones who probably aren't actually converted.
        Amen! There are genuine Christians and there are "nominal" Christians. There are genuine believers and there are make believers.
        Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Comment

Originally posted by pdun459 View Post
          I don't know if there's one good answer for why people who say they are Christians continue to sin. I do know Christ measures our progress not our perfection. He's the one who will judge.

Others are caught in an addiction of one kind or another; or have some kind of disorder that makes them susceptible to certain sins. Christians caught in this dilemma should have our utmost love and concern because it's a hellish existence and can easily cause a person to give up.

Some people may be immature as Christians as we find examples of in the New Testament. They may not be aware that what they're doing is that serious—they may need to grow and understand more completely.

In any event, I don't believe we shouldn't automatically assume a person isn't truly converted if they continue to sin.
          In my experience, the only Christians who use this verse in effort to prove their perfect sinless and "I don't ever sin" mentality, are those who will point out your sin to you. So what fruit does this put on display?

There is a balance and when we read scripture both OT and NT, sins of disciples, some of which were utilized by God to write scripture... are revealed, confessed, declared, etc. They all knew they were not sinless, some (in the NT) confess of their struggles with the flesh but also, explain that overcoming (resisting) sin is possible. This however, does not make them reach a point of sinless perfection. Man "can" fall into sin... we are warned:

Galatians 6:1 Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. 2 Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. 3 If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important.

Those finger pointers... I do believe Paul is addressing them at verse 2-3 in effort to correct their attitude.
          Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
            Galatians 6:1 Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. 2 Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. 3 If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important.

Those finger pointers... I do believe Paul is addressing them at verse 2-3 in effort to correct their attitude.
            Wow, thanks Slug1, isn't God good !
            I can see now why these verses have never established a firm root in my mind until just now = (our adversary is clever).
            IMO those verses sum-up 50 to 75% of our sanctification.
            Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.
            Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow

Comment

Originally posted by TMarcum View Post
              I agree with you. But this passage of scripture is controversial.

I have heard some suggest that a born again Christian will not sin based on the scripture below. But this would be taking the passage out of context. One thing worth noting is, where it mentions "his seed" remaineth in him. The seed referred to here is the indwelling of the spirit of Christ. It is the spirit of Christ that is being referred to as, who cannot sin. This is our inner man that dwells within us, being the spirit of Christ.

When we do sin, it is not the spirit of Christ, but as a result of giving into the lust of the flesh.

1 John 3:9
              Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
              This verse is not controversial "IF" you would read 1 John chapters 1 and 2. 1 John 1:8 says, "If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us." So, those who say there sinless and don't commit sins even as a "self-proclaimed Christian, they are deceived.

Secondly, 1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Vs10, "If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar,and His word is not in us." So, the reality is that as Christians we do commit sin, period.

Now, (and here's the kicker?) 1 John 2:1, "My little children, (John is specifically addressing Christians), I am writing these things to you (what is John's authorial intent here?) that you may not sin, And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; vs2, "and He Himself is the proptiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world."

In other words, John is "NOT" implying that sin is inevitable. He is writing to help them to avoid committing even a single act of sin. The point being that as Christians John does not want you to have the mindset that if sin is inevitable we might as well throw up our arms and think to ourselves , "what's the use, we might as well give up." John does not want us to get discouraged. So, in a nut shell, if we are sinless then what is the sense or point of having an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous?

IN GOD THE SON,
              maverick

Comment

Working...
              X