Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Christians continue in Sin, are they uncoverted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Christians continue in Sin, are they uncoverted?

So why do Christians continue in sin, are they still desiring and holding on to what puts them under its bondage? What must they do...

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." John 3:3.

Jesus laid down the first principle of how we may become a child of God. This new spiritual birth is true conversion.

Nicodemus came one night came to have a talk with Jesus. Jesus knew where Nicodemus needed help. He told him, how we must have this new spiritual birth. Nicodemus did not understand at first. He asked Jesus, "How can a man be born when he is old?"

John 3
    Jesus Teaches Nicodemus
    1Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2He came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him."
    3In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.[a]"
    4"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!" 5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7You should not be surprised at my saying,'You[c] must be born again.' 8The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."
    So we must be 'born of the Spirit' and be converted, so what does this mean?
    Jesus said, "Verily I say unto you, Except you be converted, and become as
    little children, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3.

This does not mean that we should become childish, but childlike. A child has confidence in his parents and believes them. So we must trust and believe God.

Conversion, also called the new birth, is plainly taught in the word of God. Peter said: "Repent you.... and be converted." Acts 3:19.

Paul and Barnabas on their journey "passed through Phenice and Samaria, declaring the conversion of the Gentiles: and they caused great joy unto all the brethren." Acts 15:3.

So we need to be converted, or to be born again. Without this experience we will not accept Christ as the Holy Spirit is what guides us to Him and truly turn from sin and be saved. Like Nicodemus many do not understand this, and think if they belong to some church, they are converted. Nicodemus belonged to a church, too, but he was not converted when he talked with Jesus. Church membership does not save, being converted by the Holy Spirit so we truly accept Christ does.

Re: Why Christians continue in Sin, are they uncoverted?

Christians still sin because their converted soul lives in a body of corrupted flesh. Ask Paul about that. He said that he did things he didn't want to do and didn't do things that he knew he should do.

There is no sinless perfection.

Christians need to do their utmost to flee from sin, flee TO Christ, and reject immorality. We will not be perfect until we leave these corrupted bodies and put on our incorruptible bodies as Paul speaks of.
    sigpic
    ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

I do think Christians can scramble up their lives and not live a life of complete spiritual victory. I believe God's ultimate wish for us is that we live in spiritual victory. However, life is tough, and circumstances can really corrupt us, making a complete conversion of attitude impossible. We need to follow the Word of God every day. But the degree of victory we enjoy is subject to circumstance.

All of my life, in Christian friends, and even in myself, I see a good Christian attitude compromised by the failures we've experienced over time. I told my wife this morning that I envy Moses--he lived a life of victory for most of his time in the Wilderness, and only lost his temper once, then being barred from the Promised Land.

By contrast I lose my temper nearly every day because there's areas of my life that have been compromised, and I simply have to go through disciplines to keep me on the straight and narrow.

We shouldn't judge all fellow Christians as if we expect them to be Moses. If we do this we will have no friends, and nobody will be edified by us!

Comment

Originally posted by jayne View Post
        Christians still sin because their converted soul lives in a body of corrupted flesh. Ask Paul about that. He said that he did things he didn't want to do and didn't do things that he knew he should do.

There is no sinless perfection.

Christians need to do their utmost to flee from sin, flee TO Christ, and reject immorality. We will not be perfect until we leave these corrupted bodies and put on our incorruptible bodies as Paul speaks of.
        Amen Jayne! Those who believe they live a sinless, without fault or defect, flawless, absolute perfect life 100% of the time (exactly as Jesus lived) are suffering from a terminal case of self righteousness. (1 John 1:8-10)
        Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Comment

The Christian's "bar of soap" is 1 John 1:9. No one was perfect except Jesus. We all make mistakes. Romans 12:1-2 mentions our body being presented as a living sacrifice and our mind needing to be renewed. We are 3 part beings - spirit, soul, and body. Our spirit is sealed/preserved by the Holy Spirit (Eph 1:13) but our body and mind needs to be continually kept in order by the grace of God. We should let our spirit lead our body and mind.

Comment

Originally posted by mailmandan View Post
            Amen Jayne! Those who believe they live a sinless, without fault or defect, flawless, absolute perfect life 100% of the time (exactly as Jesus lived) are suffering from a terminal case of self righteousness. (1 John 1:8-10)
            I don't really know of anyone that makes that claim Dan. If they do, they are surely mistaken. There are different definitions of sin also. We have an advocate for when we do sin. If we re seeking the ways of the spirit we are not condemned.

Rom. 8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."
            John 15:17 "These things I command you, that ye love one another."

Comment

Originally posted by Deade View Post
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR="#8B4513"]I don't really know of anyone that makes that claim Dan. If they do, they are surely mistaken.
              As you spend time here, you'll encounter new members pontificating of how one (they) can be perfect and sinless.
              Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

The bible says, in Romans 10:9-10, That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine HEART that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

FOR WITH THE HEART MAN BELIEVETH UNTO RIGHTEOUSNESS and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Does this mean that salvation by faith is really a heart issue and the lifestyle changes gradually through sanctification? If we had to turn from sin in order to be saved, we would never reach that goal. If we had to be perfect to get to heaven we would never get there.

If it were possible to be perfect, Jesus would never have needed to die. They law was not able to do it, that's why they had to sacrifice continually. Jesus was the perfect sacrifice and believing in His finished work on the cross covers us while God works on us.

Consider for a moment all the sins we commit that we are not even aware of. There is no such thing as a perfect, sinless human being. It's just not possible. This is why the bible says, Man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart. 1 Samuel 16:7

The outward appearance will never show perfection, but the heart shows God we really want to please him.

Comment

I don't really know of anyone that makes that claim Dan. If they do, they are surely mistaken. There are different definitions of sin also. We have an advocate for when we do sin. If we re seeking the ways of the spirit we are not condemned.

Rom. 8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."
                  I have run into a handful of people on various Christian forum websites who have made the claim of being sinless. One such person was a member of BibleForums. We certainly do have an advocate for when we sin. (1 John 2:1) Walking according to the Spirit is descriptive of children of God. Those who are habitually dominated by the sinful nature (unbelievers) put their minds on the things of the sinful nature, but those who are habitually dominated by the Spirit (believers) put their minds on the things of the Spirit. (Romans 8:8-11)

I have run into a handful of people on various Christian forum websites who have made the claim of being sinless. One such person was a member of BibleForums. We certainly do have an advocate for when we sin. (1 John 2:1) Walking according to the Spirit is descriptive of children of God. Those who are habitually dominated by the sinful nature (unbelievers) put their minds on the things of the sinful nature, but those who are habitually dominated by the Spirit (believers) put their minds on the things of the Spirit. (Romans 8:8-11)
                  Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeDee50 View Post
                    The bible says, in Romans 10:9-10, That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine HEART that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

FOR WITH THE HEART MAN BELIEVETH UNTO RIGHTEOUSNESS and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Does this mean that salvation by faith is really a heart issue and the lifestyle changes gradually through sanctification? If we had to turn from sin in order to be saved, we would never reach that goal. If we had to be perfect to get to heaven we would never get there.

If it were possible to be perfect, Jesus would never have needed to die. They law was not able to do it, that's why they had to sacrifice continually. Jesus was the perfect sacrifice and believing in His finished work on the cross covers us while God works on us.

Consider for a moment all the sins we commit that we are not even aware of. There is no such thing as a perfect, sinless human being. It's just not possible. This is why the bible says, Man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart. 1 Samuel 16:7

The outward appearance will never show perfection, but the heart shows God we really want to please him.
                    Thus why Samson, David, Peter, Paul, me, you, any other disciple who sins... will be in heaven due to repentance and keeping our eyes on God, despite flesh slips and falls.
                    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

If you hang around here long enough you will see it. I know.... hard to believe, but so true.

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                      As you spend time here, you'll encounter new members pontificating of how one (they) can be perfect and sinless.
                      This times 1000 .. It's true.

Comment

1 John 3:8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.

Every person, including the Christian, sins. The difference for Christians is they forsake the lifestyle of sin. If someone who calls himself a Christian clings to his sinful lifestyle - a practice of sinning, he is not genuinely born again.
                        Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

Originally posted by jayne View Post

We will not be perfect until we leave these corrupted bodies and put on our incorruptible bodies as Paul speaks of.
                          Not one verse of scripture suggests a change to any part of man pre-post sin, so if what you suggest, without scripture, is true then we were created without faith to sin, God is the sinner, and you have a huge problem with your theology called Gnosticism (which is the vast majority of Christianity). True Christianity teaches were are created with bodies that tempt and faith that delivers and the only thing that changed was the relationship and fellowship needed to exercise faith. Proof? Jesus restored relationship/fellowship and said it was all that was needed to not live in sin.

Comment

Originally posted by ChangedByHim View Post
                            1 John 3:8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.

Every person, including the Christian, sins. The difference for Christians is they forsake the lifestyle of sin. If someone who calls himself a Christian clings to his sinful lifestyle - a practice of sinning, he is not genuinely born again.
                            1 John 3:9 - No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. The idea of practice is to perform repeatedly or habitually and thus describes repetition or continuous action. This describes the practice as habitual, as one's lifestyle or bent of life with no goal or effort to stop. Those who practice sin demonstrate that they have not been born of God. To have weak moments and stumble and sin intermittently is different than making these behaviors a willful, habitual lifestyle.

In regards to 1 John 3:9, Greek scholar AT Robertson comments - Doeth no sin (amartian ou poiei). Linear present active indicative as in verse John 4 like amartanei in verse John 8. The child of God does not have the habit of sin. His seed (sperma autou). God's seed, "the divine principle of life" (Vincent). Cf. John 1. And he cannot sin (kai ou dunatai amartanein). This is a wrong translation, for this English naturally means "and he cannot commit sin" as if it were kai ou dunatai amartein or amarthsai (second aorist or first aorist active infinitive). The present active infinitive amartanein can only mean "and he cannot go on sinning," as is true of amartanei in verse John 8 and amartanwn in verse John 6 . For the aorist subjunctive to commit a sin see amarthte and amarth in John 2:1 . A great deal of false theology has grown out of a misunderstanding of the tense of amartanein here. Paul has precisely John's idea in Romans 6:1 epimenwmen th amartiai (shall we continue in sin, present active linear subjunctive) in contrast with amarthswmen in Romans 6:15 (shall we commit a sin, first aorist active subjunctive).

https://www.biblestudytools.com/comm...-john-3-9.html

Originally posted by ChangedByHim View Post

1 John 3:9 - No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. The idea of practice is to perform repeatedly or habitually and thus describes repetition or continuous action. This describes the practice as habitual, as one's lifestyle or bent of life with no goal or effort to stop. Those who practice sin demonstrate that they have not been born of God. To have weak moments and stumble and sin intermittently is different than making these behaviors a willful, habitual lifestyle.

In regards to 1 John 3:9, Greek scholar AT Robertson comments - Doeth no sin (amartian ou poiei). Linear present active indicative as in verse John 4 like amartanei in verse John 8. The child of God does not have the habit of sin. His seed (sperma autou). God's seed, "the divine principle of life" (Vincent). Cf. John 1. And he cannot sin (kai ou dunatai amartanein). This is a wrong translation, for this English naturally means "and he cannot commit sin" as if it were kai ou dunatai amartein or amarthsai (second aorist or first aorist active infinitive). The present active infinitive amartanein can only mean "and he cannot go on sinning," as is true of amartanei in verse John 8 and amartanwn in verse John 6 . For the aorist subjunctive to commit a sin see amarthte and amarth in John 2:1 . A great deal of false theology has grown out of a misunderstanding of the tense of amartanein here. Paul has precisely John's idea in Romans 6:1 epimenwmen th amartiai (shall we continue in sin, present active linear subjunctive) in contrast with amarthswmen in Romans 6:15 (shall we commit a sin, first aorist active subjunctive).

https://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/robertsons-word-pictures/1-john/1-john-3-9.html

Comment

Originally posted by mailmandan View Post

https://www.biblestudytools.com/comm...-john-3-9.html

I agree with you. But this passage of scripture is controversial.

I have heard some suggest that a born again Christian will not sin based on the scripture below. But this would be taking the passage out of context. One thing worth noting is, where it mentions "his seed" remaineth in him. The seed referred to here is the indwelling of the spirit of Christ. It is the spirit of Christ that is being referred to as, who cannot sin. This is our inner man that dwells within us, being the spirit of Christ.

When we do sin, it is not the spirit of Christ, but as a result of giving into the lust of the flesh.

1 John 3:9
                              Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Comment

Working...
                              X