Parable of the three servants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parable of the three servants

The servants who were given five and two talents of money were told well done. The one servant that buried his single talent in the ground was cursed and told that he could have at least earned interest from the talent in a bank.

How can we ourselves profit God like the first two servants did? When told to at least earn interest on the talent God gives does that simply mean a tithe? Is that the very least we should be doing?

Re: Parable of the three servants

I would encourage you to seek out the differences in what most perceive to be parallel parables that are not.

https://bible.org/seriespage/27-para...0-luke-1912-28

Not saying I agree with it, but it should help you realize this parable is not at all what most make it to be.

Interest would have to be 10% so no, forget about 10%. Interest would have been, and would be, whatever rate interest was/is set at. The individual simply did nothing with the money. Note, it is money not an ability. Because they had the ability to do something with the money and did nothing they were cast into outer darkness. Not the case in Luke 19. Works vs faith. Kingdom of heaven vs kingdom of God.

Comment

Originally posted by Ri Chasu View Post
      The servants who were given five and two talents of money were told well done. The one servant that buried his single talent in the ground was cursed and told that he could have at least earned interest from the talent in a bank.

How can we ourselves profit God like the first two servants did? When told to at least earn interest on the talent God gives does that simply mean a tithe? Is that the very least we should be doing?
      Hi Ri Chasu,
      It was easier for me to understand this parable when I acknowledged that those servants in this parable were entrusted with those talents, not given those talents.
      ....And also realize that those talents were Truth(s) about God that were entrusted to them by God, Truths that the Holy Spirit put in them by the cleansing/renewing of their mind through reading or hearing God's word.

There are way more than just one reason why folks will read or hear God's word.
      (Some folks will read or hear it just for a free meal, or just to say that they witnessed a miracle)
      But, when we read or hear the word of God in an effort to know God more and more, then it cleanses/renews our mind.
      The more we read or hear it with that intent(to know God more) then the more it will cleanse/renew our mind.
      ....So, I see the meaning of the servant in that parable who received five talents as his mind was renewed 5x more than the servant who only received one talent, and the servant who received three talents as his mind being renewed 3x more than the servant who only received one talent.
      Which makes me then also see that what those servants did with that renewed mind's knowledge of God (how they used their renewed mind's knowledge) as what brings differing amounts of profit.
      ....What I mean is, I see the first two servants bringing more profit from it by not just adjusting their own lives to conform to their renewed mind's knowledge of God, but they also shared their renewed mind's knowledge of God with their fellows which caused some of those fellows to also conform their own lives to that knowledge of God too.(more profit!)
      ....The servant who brought 90 fold profit shared his renewed mind's knowledge of God with his fellows more than the servant who only brought about 30 fold profit did.
      ....The servant who buried his renewed mind's knowledge of God, definitely did not share that renewed mind's knowledge with his fellows, but buried it away so that he wont lose it.

I personally think that the last servant buried it away rather than share it with his fellows because he feared persecution for sharing it, or that sharing it would open opportunities for men with un-renewed minds to convince or persuade him through arguments or debate that his renewed mind's knowledge of God was in error.
      Hence why that last servant brought no profit from what God had entrusted to him.
      Last edited by Jacob's Ladder; Oct 22nd 2019, 01:01 PM. Reason: an addition
      Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.
      Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow

Comment

I post the context below for quick reference.

The Parables does NOT concern salvation. It concerns the efforts of the "Lord's OWN servants" in preparing and buildinga Kingdom that will be instituted and established when Christ returns. When God made man He had a twofold purpose for him in Genesis 1.26-28. (1) Be in God's image and likeness to disply Him, and (2) rule the earth, sea and sky with a God-like rulership. This Parable concerns the second purpose - to prepare the men and women of the Church to be able and capable rulers in the image of their King - Jesus.

The Salient features of this Parable are:
        • The Talents are ONLY given to "His OWN servants". (v.12)
        • The Talents are given "according to personal ability" (v.15)
        • The Talents are "His Goods". He may at all time withdraw them (v.12)
        • The receivers of the Talents knew that they had them for they all did something with them
        • The receivers of the Talents knew that they had a responsibility to use them for God
        • The King - Jesus, WILL RETURN to "reckon with His OWN servants
        • There is NO TALK of losing one's salvation. Though the wayward servant is called "wicked" and "slothful", he is still called a servant (v.30)
        • The THREAT here is NOT PARTAKING IN THE MILLENNIAL KINGDOM

The problem in Christianity
        Unwittingly, Christianity has played right into the Devil's hands. The number one way to prevent this Kingdom being built by talented Christians is to SILENCE them. The Kingdom is to be given to the Church (Matt.16:18-19, 21:43). So building the Kingdom is the same as building the Church. Building - NOT in numbers particularly, but building in SUBSTANCE. Thus, the talents are those "GIFTS" that the Lord gave before taking His journey. And Ephesians 4, in the context of taking His journey, the Lord gave the spiritual gifts for building the Church (Eph.4:7-14). And if we study these gifts in both Ephesians and 1st Corinthians Chapters 12 - 14, we are struck by one thing. They are ALL speaking gifts. Even the gift of miracles is there to CAUSE SPEAKING. When Peter raised Tabitha from the dead it, "... was known throughout all Joppa; and many believed in the Lord" (Act.9:42). So if I was the Devil, my main effort would be to SILENCE the Christian. And this is what we have done.

In 99% of all Christian meetings around the world, there is ONE Pastor and he directs the meeting. He does the speaking and few, if any, others may speak. Compare this with Paul's instructions to Corinth in 1st Corinthians 14:26-31. But first Paul makes prophecy the most important gift (14:1). Then he defines it as any speaking that, "edifies" (builds up), and "exhorts" (warns and encourages), and "comforts" (14:3). And then he commands that ALL who are GIFTED must speak.

26 "How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
        27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
        28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
        29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
        30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
        31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted."

The only restriction is in speaking in a foreign language, and when you perceive that another brother has something to say. The modern Church has ABOLISHED this and this is the main reason why the Churches have not grown in SUBSTANCE. The Talented brothers and sister are SILENCED. I can testify that in EVERY Assembly I have visited in the last 23 years, when they have found out that I possess some knowledge of the Word, have asked me not to speak - even before the have heard what I have to say. Although Satan will lose the war, he has won some decisive battles.

USURY
        Then we have those brothers and sisters who have a certain ability, and God gives them the divine Talent for His Church's edification. And what do they do. They "bury" in it the earth. The "wicked" and "slothful" servant DID make a profit. He was scared of God. But he made a decisive mistake - and every servant of the Lord is faced with this problem - the problem of the HARVEST.

God has ordained that something is planted, watered, weeded and cared for FOR A LONG TIME before the fruit comes. So it is in spiritual matters (1st Cor.3:6). The Lord's work is hampered and attacked from all sides. The Devil hates it and does what he can. The world hates it and does anything to make it difficult. Our flesh hates it and tries to slow things down. And in-fighting and jealousy in the Church slows it down. The CROP is LONG in coming. Most of servants die before the crop comes. And herein lies the danger. We see no fruit and get scared. So what should we do? We must BELIEVE that the Talents are working because the Holy Spirit is "working" (1st Cor.12:11) and persevere. If we don't we will turn to an EASIER WAY. Where does the crop come quickly for a talented person? THE WORLD! We have TEEN-IDOLS. Talent invested in the "earth" can bring fruit VERY SOON.* So the impatient and scared Christian will invariably turn to the "earth" to produce gain. But what did the King think of this?

The King thought that NOTHING had been achieved. To invest in the earth can bring a huge crop. But in heavenly view IT IS NOTHING! It has no eternal effect, it has no lasting substance, it has no effect of the Millennial Kingdom, and it does not EDIFY the Church. What then is USURY (v.27)? When I give my money to a bank, THEY Work with it. But I retain ownership of my money AND I get interest. If the slothful and wicked servant had JUST LET OTHER CHRISTIANS USE HIS TALENT, God would have had INTEREST. He should have kept it IN THE CHURCH. And if the Church was acting worldly, he should have been diligent to find a ministry that was of the Lord - AND INVESTED THERE!

* I always marvel at the Talented Christian musicians and singers, how they will only produce songs that the people BUY. One would think that with such a beautiful talent, they would compose songs to, and about the Lord FOR FREE - seeing as the received their Talent FOR FREE. But then again, many Bible Teachers and Preachers ARE PAID to give their messages. I wonder what Hudson Taylor would say? And worse, I wonder what the Lord and Master, Who walked this earth WITHOUT A CENT, and gave Himself, His talent and His LIFE for free, would say???

For Ref: Matthew 25:14-30 (KJV)
        14 "For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
        15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
        16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
        17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
        18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
        19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
        20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
        21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
        22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
        23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
        24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
        25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
        26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
        27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
        28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
        29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
        30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Comment

To me the most important lesson from this parable isn't so much about what the third servant should have done, but what he actually did—he buried it. In other words, he didn't do anything with it. What a person should do in each circumstance will vary from person to person.

Comment

I will use other parables to explain that of the servants' given different talents by their lord. The "talents" represent spiritual gifts or divine ability and skill given to every believer and how they put it to use to advance and enrich the Body of Christ (1 Cor 12:7). In Matt 13 Jesus explained the moral of the parable of the sower. Describing those that fell on good soil - which we know as those that received the word of God, believed it, got saved and what did they do? I will let the scripture explain.

Matt 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

In John 15:5 & 8 we also have a corroboration with Matt 13:23 where Jesus confirmed that he is the Vine and us (believers) as the branches and that if we abide in him, we shall bear fruits.

There you have it: as human gifts and ability are not equal, this is reflected in the differing number of talents received and their outcome in varying degrees of yield/increase produced by each servant, save for the one that never put his to use. Now, I should point out that the fruit believers produce to enhance the body of Christ include but not limited to witnessing for Christ, agape love, praise and worship, intercession, etc.

With regards to the servant who buried his talent and refused to put it to use, this sadly refers to some believers who have never reflected Jesus Christ' sacrifice and grace bestowed upon them in a manner that benefits others. Remember what Jesus said in:

Matt 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, In as much as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, In as much as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

Hope this helps?

Comment

Matthew 25:14-30 (KJV)

14 "For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
              15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
              16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
              17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
              18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
              19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
              20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
              21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
              22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
              23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
              24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
              25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
              26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
              27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
              28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
              29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
              30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

The above parable sheds light on how a servant works out his/her gift of faith unto abundance. It is all about creating an economy of abundance by gift of faith of the kingdom.

A servant operates in the realm of good things by the faith of God/Christ.

A talent is a measure of the substance of anything in the heavenly kingdom that the servant hopes for. It could be a talent of the name, power or riches of the kingdom received as the gift of faith.

As a righteous duty, a servant must take every talent (measure of substance) received to the Trader whose duty is to double the talent. It is the doubling of things of faith and the multiplication of grace that creates abundance of good and acceptable things on earth.

The Son of God is the Trader who exchanges every talent of faith for a double measure of same talent. It is our work of righteousness to go to the Trader with our talents

if we don't go to Him with our measure of faith for doubling, our faith becomes dead and a rob/prevent God from bringing about abundance of good things on earth.
              Grace and peace unto you from God the Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ!

Comment

Working...
              X