Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was it possible for Jesus to sin?

Thoughts.........

Well I am not really clued up with the Bible yet, but my thoughts is that it was possible for Him to sin, but He chose not to, because He had to be the perfect offer. As He became flesh he went through the very same things we do. I mean think about this, HE gave up His perfect place next to the Father, to come to earth to be rejected. He gave up everything He had, just for us.
    He cried when Lazurus died, He was tempted by Satan. ect. He knew what it was like to be human, and that made it possible for Him to sin.But HE CHOSE not to sin, so that we could be saved!
    Saved by Grace!

Praying for Mieke and Charles
    Cor 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation ; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

My testimony
    http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=149096

Comment

I would have said yes, but thinking it through...not so much.

If it were possible for Christ to sin, then it was possible for all the prophets to be wrong and make God a liar.

Jesus had the potential to sin, but He never could. God knew He wouldn't.

Kind of like Jesus telling Peter he would deny Christ three times. Peter didn't want to, but once Christ said it would happen, it had to happen, or else Christ became a liar.....which I guess would bring us back to whether Christ could sin or not.

Yuke

Comment

Originally posted by ross3421 View Post
        Thoughts.........
        Yes, Jesus could have sinned. He chose not to. Can we choose to sin?? I'm sure the answer will be yes, except maybe for Yuckerboy. If we can sin so could Jesus.

Hebrews 2:16-18 ( KJV ) 16For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. 17Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. 18For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Comment

Yes. Butch quoted an excellent verse. He was just as we are. One purpose in His coming as a man was to prove that it is possible to live in accordance with the law. Satan rebelled in heaven and suckered in 1/3 of the angels because he was discontent with the government. He thought he was worthy of worship too, thus thought he could do a better job of ruling than God. Is that not the basis for all rebellion? Discontent with the current law and the ruling authority? So as Satan continued to develop his rebelluion on earth through men, The decision needed to be made and the question answered: whose rule is better? God's rule of the heavenly kingdom through Christ and obedience to His laws, or Satan's rule on earth and disobedience to God's law.
          If Jesus came and lived and had any advantage over us Satan would then have something to gloat over by claiming that it is impossible for man to be obedient, therefore God's laws are unfair, unjust, and arbitrarily impossible to obey.
          Jesus showed that through love and faith in the power of God, anything was possible, including obedience and therefore faithful allegiance to the heavenly kingdom.
          Jeremiah 15:16 Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and
          rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Comment

I agree also - yes
            Last edited by VerticalReality; Dec 19th 2008, 02:17 PM. Reason: Unnecessary comment
            "Let no man deceive you"

I also am "man" - this includes myself !

Comment

Christ was sinless.

Comment

This is one of those that is easy to go back and forth on.

Jesus Christ

Man God

Anyway, as a man, it seems Jesus was subject to the potential of sin:

Luke 22:42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

But Jesus did not become God by not sinning. He was already God. So who could Jesus have sinned against?

So, as Jesus Christ, if He was who He claimed to be, then He couldn't sin.

See what I mean?

But such thinking can be extended to other things as well. For example, was it possible for Jesus to die? We know Jesus died. Did God die? Of course not. So in the sense that Jesus could and did die, I also believe that Jesus could and didn't sin.

God Bless!
                Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Originally posted by watchinginawe View Post
                  This is one of those that is easy to go back and forth on.

Jesus Christ

Man God

Anyway, as a man, it seems Jesus was subject to the potential of sin:

Luke 22:42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

But Jesus did not become God by not sinning. He was already God. So who could Jesus have sinned against?

So, as Jesus Christ, if He was who He claimed to be, then He couldn't sin.

See what I mean?

But such thinking can be extended to other things as well. For example, was it possible for Jesus to die? We know Jesus died. Did God die? Of course not. So in the sense that Jesus could and did die, I also believe that Jesus could and didn't sin.

God Bless!
                  When we say God we have to differentiate between deity and the Father.
                  Jesus was God (deity), but He was not the Father. It was possible for Him to sin agaist the Father.

Comment

Was it possible for Jesus to sin?

Interesting question ross3421
                    Was it possible for Jesus to sin?
                    I will put it in the same category as the question can God make a rock so big that He can not move it ?
                    Jesus was in deed fully man but also fully God too ,an to sin is to separate one self from God . So would Jesus separate Himself from Himself ? My opinion is that No he could not sin . Jesus is God an God dose not act contrary to His own nature .
                    Your brother in Christ
                    Bill

Comment

Hebrews 2:17
                      For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for[a]the sins of the people.

Philippians 2:6-11
                      Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
                      But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
                      And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Hebrews 4:15
                      For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
                      We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

Comment

Originally posted by Laish View Post
                        Interesting question ross3421 I will put it in the same category as the question can God make a rock so big that He can not move it ?
                        Jesus was in deed fully man but also fully God too ,an to sin is to separate one self from God . So would Jesus separate Himself from Himself ? My opinion is that No he could not sin . Jesus is God an God dose not act contrary to His own nature .
                        Your brother in Christ
                        Bill
                        If He couldn't sin, then He wasn't tempted just as we are.

Comment

Define temptation.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post
                            Define temptation.
                            James 1:14-15 (NIV)
                            14but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed.
                            15Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

James 1:14-15 (KJV)
                            14But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
                            15Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
                            We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
                              When we say God we have to differentiate between deity and the Father.
                              Jesus was God (deity), but He was not the Father. It was possible for Him to sin agaist the Father.
                              God is God. IMO, there is not the possibility of a dissention between the persons of the Godhead. There was the possibility that Jesus wasn't who He claimed to be. THAT possibility would have been proven if Jesus had sinned, right? Jesus' sinless life proves His deity.

God Bless!
                              Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Working...
                              X