H. Spirit upon or within?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H. Spirit upon or within?

I've heard it said, many times, that in the OT the Holy Spirit "came upon" the saints, and in the NT He comes "within" the saints. I think this is an acceptable way of phrasing, if somewhat imperfect or inadequate. It does serve the purpose to show that God's purpose was a permanent indwelling in us, as opposed to just a temporary blessing upon our lives.

I find that God did indeed indwell saints in the OT. God's word was near them, and "in" them, in some respects. But indeed, there was no permanent dwelling, except in the form of promise, or in the form of hope. God indwelt Israel as a promise that He would continually abide in them *if*...... But the hope was always a deliverance from death, and return to the Tree of Life, or immortality. Israel's hope was always in going to be with the Lord "forever."

So in coming to dwell with Israel, and inhabiting the tabernacle, God was showing His intent to abide with Israel continually. But it could never be a guaranteed reality until after the cross.

So it is only after the cross, and in the NT, that Christ is viewed as truly dwelling with us in perpetuity, and on into eternity. I trust this how you understand it?

Re: H. Spirit upon or within?

Do you believe those born before Christ were unregenerated and only righteous by their own works?
    Or
    Do you believe it is the Holy Spirit that regenerates a man(regardless of birthdate/place), and it is His leading to righteousness and not of their works?

Comment

Re: H. Spirit upon or within?

Originally posted by David Taylor View Post
      Do you believe those born before Christ were unregenerated and only righteous by their own works?
      Or
      Do you believe it is the Holy Spirit that regenerates a man(regardless of birthdate/place), and it is His leading to righteousness and not of their works?
      I believe the Holy Spirit operates within the spirit of a man to regenerate him. And this is both OT and NT. However, regeneration in the OT did not result in either the possession of eternal life or the permanent indwelling of God.

When Jesus spoke of "rebirth," he was speaking in the time of the OT, and not in the NT era. And so, "regeneration" was understood by Jesus to be an OT phenomenon, even before it became a NT phenomenon with a new slant.

When we talk about the "works" of OT saints, we are never talking about operating apart from the Holy Spirit. But we are, in fact, talking about the "record" of their works that fall short of eternal life. Just because their works fell short of eternal life did not mean their works were not of God!

The simple truth is, righteousness in the OT was always about obedience to God's word, and living by the Spirit. The point, however, was that this righteousness was insufficient for salvation and required the works of Christ in order to bring them redemption. In this way, their works, inspired by the Holy Spirit, can pass through the atoning work of Christ to come out on the other end as "eternal righteousness," and "salvation."

Comment

Working...
      X