X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus went to hell?

People say that Jesus did not go to hell, but it says:

Acts 2:27
    Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Ephesians 4:9
    Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
    We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

What people say that?

Comment

Originally posted by Bladers View Post
      People say that Jesus did not go to hell, yet but it says:

Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
      Jesus was in hades, hades is distinguished from the lake of fire. Hades is the aobde of the dead. Peter says that He preached to the Spirits while He was there.

1 Peter 3:18-20 ( KJV ) 18For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: 19By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; 20Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Comment

I believe thats what it say's. I know alot of people disagree, if Jesus took our punishment on himself and we deserve hell than I believe this to be the case.

Comment

Doesn't Peter declare that Christ went and ministered to the spirits in prison?

Sounds to me like He went to hell.

Comment

Originally posted by tt1106 View Post
            What people say that?
            a few self righteous heresy hunters that i spoke to...
            We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

Comment

People say that Jesus did not go to hell, but it says:

... The very first lesson on reading the scriptures is to never take them out of their context and when we read the Bible through from "In the beginning" to the final "Amen" or The Revelation we are struck by the truth that every word of the entire Bible is in one context. Next we know from reading our Bibles that Heaven and Hell are places in the Spiritual Realm and for that reason cannot be seen by the natural eye.
              ... Although it is a popular thought that Hell is in the core of the Earth there is no Biblical reason to believe this and there is a Biblical reason to not believe this tradition. God cannot stand sin and yet every person that has ever sinned and refused to repent and seek after God will be in Hell. It is also true that Heaven will be found on the "new" Earth and the number of people that will reside in Hell is staggering. A couple of years ago I was interested in how many people would be in Hell and dug into the matter. The one estimate I found to be the best thought out was that while we are about six billion strong, in number, today, there seem to be about that same number that have preceded us on the Earth. So if no more were ever born, that would mean that about twelve billion souls with bodies would be contained in the center of the Earth, beneath Heaven. When you consider that after the Rapture and the Tribulation there will be much better than a billion to begin the 1000 year reign of Christ, that number looks like it might exceed 18 billion contained in the core of the earth and that just staggers the mind.
              ... Now, when I buried my dad and my mother they descended into the bowels of the Earth to await the Second Resurrection. They did not go into Hell and noone other than some of the fallen Angels will ever go there until they stand at the Great White Throne Judgment. With careful and prayerful reading of the latter verses of Matthew 27 we can see that Jesus went from the Cross into Paradise, aka. Abraham's Buxom, to preach to and release the Old Testament Saints;

Mat 27:51 And behold, the veil of the temple was rent in two from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake; and the rocks were rent;
              Mat 27:52 and the tombs were opened; and many bodies of the saints that had fallen asleep were raised;
              Mat 27:53 and coming forth out of the tombs after his resurrection they entered into the holy city and appeared unto many.

... While I have given you a lot to consider, I pray that this will help you in your quest.

Comment

Apparently it was an early church belief as Jesus' descent into hell or Hades is confessed in creeds (developed to combat heresy) believed to either have been influenced by the Nicene Council or to have originated in 5th century Gaul. The Roman Catholics, Church of England, Lutheran, and Presbyterian churches still confess it in their creeds. Curiously the Methodists removed it from theirs.
                "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?'
                And I said, 'Here am I. Send me!'"
                Isaiah 6:8

Comment

I take a middle Lutheran-Reformed position. Jesus went into hell as a Victor proclaiming His victory to the captives (Lutheran); yet suffered hell for us while on the cross (Reformed).
                  ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

'Although it is a popular thought that Hell is in the core of the Earth there is no Biblical reason to believe this and there is a Biblical reason to not believe this tradition'

Dear th1bill,

I believe one of the verses from the Bible which proves the opposite is written in Numbers 16:30: 'But if the LORD make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down quick into the pit; then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the LORD.' The word 'pit' in the original text (ancient Hebrew) here is 'sheh-ol' which is often used for hell all over the Old Testament. In the New Testament (in ancient Greek) it is 'hades' or 'thanatos'. These words have the same meaning as 'sheh-ol'.

Comment

Jesus' body went to the grave.

Sometimes in the earlier form of the language; the grave was interchangeable with hell.

We still carry that notion around today, even though we know it isn't the case; and they are describing two different places.

Where do you tell a child heaven is? Up above....
                      Where do you tell a child hell is? down below....but it isn't under the ground...that's just where the graves are...thus the old association still holds forward.

Jesus' body went into hell (the grave) for 3 days; then arose.

He however, finished atonement for all men on the cross; (not in the grave or in hell)...when He said, "IT IS FINISHED".

His death paid the price for all sins of all men, past, present, and future who would faithfully believe and trust in Him.

King David of old, born almost a thousand years before Jesus, placed his hope in the resurrection of Christ from the grave.

As for Noahs day and others who died...they had their turn...during the time of their lives. There is no such thing as purgatory, or after-death 2nd chances to belief and be saved. Isaiah said, "Now is the appointed time, Now is the day of salvation". (so did Paul). Noone gets another chance after their deaths. Just like Jesus told us in the parable of the rich man, who wanted to be saved after his own death; prior to Christ's death. Jesus told him it was too late; the great uncrossable gulf had been fixed at the moment of death; and those who were wicked only have torment and remorse. Not a second chance post-death for salvation.

Comment

a few self righteous heresy hunters that i spoke to...
                        TBN still tossing around that "heresy hunters" line?

Visit our new website
                        ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                        "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Originally posted by Welder4Christ View Post
                          Doesn't Peter declare that Christ went and ministered to the spirits in prison?

Sounds to me like He went to hell.
                          There is a distinction between imprisoned spirits and spirits in prison. Yeshua told the thief "Today you will be with me in Gan-Eden." Yeshua preached the Gospel to both the saints in Gan-Eden and to the 'bad guys.' Everyone gets the Gospel. When Yeshua said no one comes to the Father but through Me, He meant it for all who were, who are and who are to be. No one goes anywhere, either to the Father or to 'hell' until they recieve the Gospel. Great news for some, really really bad news for others. All knees will bow. That includes the deceased.
                          Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
                            There is a distinction between imprisoned spirits and spirits in prison. Yeshua told the thief "Today you will be with me in Gan-Eden." Yeshua preached the Gospel to both the saints in Gan-Eden and to the 'bad guys.' Everyone gets the Gospel. When Yeshua said no one comes to the Father but through Me, He meant it for all who were, who are and who are to be. No one goes anywhere, either to the Father or to 'hell' until they recieve the Gospel. Great news for some, really really bad news for others. All knees will bow. That includes the deceased.
                            Are you saying the 'bad guys' get the Gospel preached to them as a chance to receive the Gospel? It seems to me that would contradict Hebrews 9 "For it is appointed for man to die once and then the judgment". Besides, who wouldn't choose the Gospel and Jesus after spending time in Hades?
                            ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

Originally posted by crossnote View Post
                              I take a middle Lutheran-Reformed position. Jesus went into hell as a Victor proclaiming His victory to the captives (Lutheran); yet suffered hell for us while on the cross (Reformed).
                              Does that mean he suffered hell on behalf of Satan? Don't know why I suddenly thought that. Sounds like a reasonable question though.

For the grave it would only be for us. It makes sense that he died for us so that our shed blood can be united with His shed blood so that all may be awaken at appropriate times. But for the second death, that was never meant to be for us but for Satan and his angels.
                              Nothing more. Nothing less.
                              My faith in Christ is righteousness!
                              Jesus came to save us, His Spirit to change us.
                              Christ covers OUR imperfection with HIS perfection!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X