Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revival praying

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Revival praying

    Interesting passage from Leonard Ravenhill's book "Revival Praying"

    In the current issue of Conquest for Christ (the official organ of International Students, Inc.), there is an article by Bakht Singh. This dear Christian leader in India says, "The indigenous churches in India have a great burden for America just now...And are praying that God will visit your country with revival... You feel sorry for us in India because of our poverty of material things. We who know the Lord in India feel sorry for you in America because of your spiritual poverty. We pray that God may give you gold tried in fire which He has promised to those who know the power of His resurrection... In our churches we spend four or five or six hours in prayer and worship, and frequently our people wait on the Lord in prayer all night; but in America after you have been in church for one hour, you begin to look at your watches. We pray that God may open your eyes to the true meaning of worship...To attract people to meetings you have a great dependence on posters, on advertising, on promotion, and on the build-up of a human being; in India we have nothing more the the Lord Himself and we find that He is sufficient...We are praying that the people in America might also come to church with a hunger for God and not merely a hunger to see some form of amusement or hear choirs or the voice of any man."

    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  • #2
    Re: Revival praying

    Fair comment. Everyone can use all the prayer they can get.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

    John777 exists to me only in quoted form.


    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Revival praying

      Testimony time :-)

      At times we've held "vigils" for a Friday night service. Meaning, we'd start at 7pm and not intend to leave until... released (as we'd refer to ending the vigil).

      Over the years, many different churches I've attending or visited, state level denominational conferences that would do classes all day and a service in the evening... add up to MANY, MANY services. During many of these services over the years, it would be heard... God is here, the presence of God is manifest, etc.

      Then I was involved in a vigil and after 4-6 hours of worship/prayer/exhortation, worship/prayer/exhortation, toss in a testimony or 10, more worship, more prayer... when the presence of God manifested, NONE of those previous services compared. I will be honest... while I know God's presence manifested during many of those past services, MOST we more about emotion(alism). A long time ago I used to wonder... why don't "I" feel the presence of God?? I knew why after some years... because His presence wasn't manifest despite the announcement, God is here.

      During that first vigil when God made it clear He was present... NOTHING compares. Several vigils were done during a year and literally, the presence of God HIT on a spiritual level after several hours into the vigil.

      So yeah... I agree 100% with that quote.
      Slug1--out

      ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Revival praying

        Edit - FYI, most vigils lasted until the sun was coming up on Saturday morning and we knew, we were released
        Slug1--out

        ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Revival praying

          Travailing in prayer.

          Jesus can and will destroy an unproductive tree, period.
          One duty as stewards of His advancing kingdom is to pray for spared-time toward unproductive trees in hope that they will eventually produce.
          Please note: prayers for an individual tree, not for an entire grove of trees.

          You would think that praying for a grove/large-group of people would involve more laborious prayer, but I find it much more laborious to pray for individuals.
          What I mean is, praying for a large group by default introduces weak/easy ambiguous generic generalities, which by the way also certainly opens very wide possibilities that you are actually praying for something that God certainly does not desire for one or more of the folks in that large group.
          ....So, I do not see that the Holy Spirit has or ever will move christians to pray corporately for a large group of people.
          Although Daniel did pray for his people's prophesied release from captivity, he was led by his knowledge of scripture and recognized the plans of God in the timing of their release from that captivity.
          ​Hence Daniel was moved by the Spirit to pray there, not led by a man to pray there.
          ....But even knowing that, we still willfully allow respected men to lead us, lead us to pray corporately over large groups of people, even allow them to lead us into 'their' plans for revival. While God's plan for revival is already clearly written out for us, and doesn't involve being led by any supporting plans of men.
          But still, we go on ignoring Jesus's teachings regarding how we are to pray, and how to be moved by the Spirit rather than be led by respected men.

          IMO: Seeking our Father in prayer for Him to draw an individual person closer to Jesus, is the way to work His will on Earth (one step at a time).

          Travailing in prayer is a profitable and awakening study
          Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.
          Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Revival praying

            Originally posted by Jacob's Ladder View Post
            Laboring in prayer.

            Jesus can and will destroy an unproductive tree, period.
            One duty as stewards of His advancing kingdom is to pray for spared-time toward unproductive trees in hope that they will eventually produce.
            Please note: prayers for an individual tree, not for an entire grove of trees.

            You would think that praying for a grove/large-group of people would involve more laborious prayer, but I find it much more laborious to pray for individuals.
            What I mean is, praying for a large group by default introduces weak/easy ambiguous generic generalities, which by the way also certainly opens very wide possibilities that you are actually praying for something that God certainly does not desire for one or more of the folks in that large group.
            ....So, I do not see that the Holy Spirit has or ever will move christians to pray corporately for a large group of people.
            Although Daniel did pray for his people's prophesied release from captivity, he was led by his knowledge of scripture and recognized the plans of God in the timing of their release from that captivity.
            Hence Daniel was moved by the Spirit to pray there, not led by a man to pray there.

            ....But even knowing that, we still willfully allow respected men to lead us, lead us to pray corporately over large groups of people, even allow them to lead us into their-plans for revival. While God's plan for revival is already clearly written out for us, and doesn't involve any plans of men.
            But still, we go on ignoring Jesus's teachings regarding how we are to pray, and how to be moved by the Spirit rather than be led by respected men.

            IMO: Seeking our Father in prayer for Him to draw an individual person closer to Jesus, is the way to work His will on Earth (one step at a time).

            Laboring in prayer is a profitable and awakening study.
            The term I've used is "travailing" prayer
            Slug1--out

            ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Revival praying

              Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
              Testimony time :-)

              At times we've held "vigils" for a Friday night service. Meaning, we'd start at 7pm and not intend to leave until... released (as we'd refer to ending the vigil).

              Over the years, many different churches I've attending or visited, state level denominational conferences that would do classes all day and a service in the evening... add up to MANY, MANY services. During many of these services over the years, it would be heard... God is here, the presence of God is manifest, etc.

              Then I was involved in a vigil and after 4-6 hours of worship/prayer/exhortation, worship/prayer/exhortation, toss in a testimony or 10, more worship, more prayer... when the presence of God manifested, NONE of those previous services compared. I will be honest... while I know God's presence manifested during many of those past services, MOST we more about emotion(alism). A long time ago I used to wonder... why don't "I" feel the presence of God?? I knew why after some years... because His presence wasn't manifest despite the announcement, God is here.

              During that first vigil when God made it clear He was present... NOTHING compares. Several vigils were done during a year and literally, the presence of God HIT on a spiritual level after several hours into the vigil.

              So yeah... I agree 100% with that quote.
              I think I know what you are getting at, but regardless, I think we can safely say God is always present but perhaps we are just not attuned well enough. Where two or more gather in prayer, He says he's there. I am very leery in claiming that God was here or not here based on the immediate moment. Most of the times for myself, it's in the reflection on past events that really demonstrate that God was really involved.
              Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
              Ecc 7:10

              John777 exists to me only in quoted form.


              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Revival praying

                Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                The term I've used is "travailing" prayer
                Thanks Slug1, I edited in your suggestion of Travailing in lieu of Laboring.
                Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare.
                Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Revival praying

                  Originally posted by teddyv View Post
                  I think I know what you are getting at, but regardless, I think we can safely say God is always present but perhaps we are just not attuned well enough. Where two or more gather in prayer, He says he's there. I am very leery in claiming that God was here or not here based on the immediate moment. Most of the times for myself, it's in the reflection on past events that really demonstrate that God was really involved.
                  Agreed. I've been alone in prayer with God and His presence manifest. This was more like what was experienced during vigils but has been experienced in small group prayers and even small group Bible studies, as well as during many of the past regular services.
                  Slug1--out

                  ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Revival praying

                    Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                    Interesting passage from Leonard Ravenhill's book "Revival Praying"




                    That was a bit judgmental of the author! There is certainly some truth in it, but it's hardly true that Christians in India are somehow "spiritually superior" to American Christians, unless he is speaking generally of liberal Christian churches. While there are evangelicals who are equally compromised with the world, I'm sure the same is true of Indian Christians. Whereas Indian Christians may spend hours in prayer and worship, some American Christians spend hours doing their jobs, give money for their families, churches, and to the State, which helps people. Many of us spend time on Facebook or other Social Media platforms trying to reach people with God's word--hours! Some of us have several Bible studies a week, along with church worship on Sunday, along with special praise gatherings. Many of us watch Christian TV or Christian programming on the internet. Why should we try to prove who is better? Why should someone try to tar all of American Christianity as lukewarm? Maybe they don't know us, or haven't visited all of our churches? Conviction doesn't come through "shaming."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Revival praying

                      Originally posted by randyk View Post
                      Whereas Indian Christians may spend hours in prayer and worship, some American Christians spend hours doing their jobs, give money for their families, churches, and to the State, which helps people.
                      Our equating these things with prayer and worship is part of the problem Singh is highlighting.
                      「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
                      撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Revival praying

                        Originally posted by randyk View Post
                        Conviction doesn't come through "shaming."
                        I don't think it comes from denial either. Ravenhill spent a great deal of time all over the world dealing with Christian leadership of different groups. I think his perspective deserves some respect. What is the problem with admitting that most Christians in the 10/40 window simply have a hand up on us spiritually speaking?
                        Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Revival praying

                          Originally Posted by shepherdsword
                          I don't think it comes from denial either. Ravenhill spent a great deal of time all over the world dealing with Christian leadership of different groups. I think his perspective deserves some respect. What is the problem with admitting that most Christians in the 10/40 window simply have a hand up on us spiritually speaking?
                          Hooah!

                          That's the nail to be hammered home. Speak of what is spiritual and offense is felt by some and in the emotion... dis what is spiritual.

                          Conviction points one toward a mirror after hearing testimony of brethren experiences of God in their life. So, instead of causing one to feel shame OR cause one to accuse that another is shamING them through a testimony, the conviction is a catalyst for the hearer to view one's own heart, while viewing the emotional one in the mirror, after hearing testimony of God working in another's life.
                          Slug1--out

                          ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Revival praying

                            Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                            Testimony time :-)

                            At times we've held "vigils" for a Friday night service. Meaning, we'd start at 7pm and not intend to leave until... released (as we'd refer to ending the vigil).

                            Over the years, many different churches I've attending or visited, state level denominational conferences that would do classes all day and a service in the evening... add up to MANY, MANY services. During many of these services over the years, it would be heard... God is here, the presence of God is manifest, etc.

                            Then I was involved in a vigil and after 4-6 hours of worship/prayer/exhortation, worship/prayer/exhortation, toss in a testimony or 10, more worship, more prayer... when the presence of God manifested, NONE of those previous services compared. I will be honest... while I know God's presence manifested during many of those past services, MOST we more about emotion(alism). A long time ago I used to wonder... why don't "I" feel the presence of God?? I knew why after some years... because His presence wasn't manifest despite the announcement, God is here.

                            During that first vigil when God made it clear He was present... NOTHING compares. Several vigils were done during a year and literally, the presence of God HIT on a spiritual level after several hours into the vigil.

                            So yeah... I agree 100% with that quote.
                            Praise God ! So true , nothing compares ! I would like to put it into words on how it feels in a service when the presence of God comes down . I guess you just have to be there .

                            I like to go out on front patio at night and pray in the dark under the stars . God moved on me in mighty way one night , in fact I felt so good I have nothing to compare it to . If you have never tried praying like this you need to try it out .

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Revival praying

                              Originally posted by randyk View Post
                              Many of us spend time on Facebook or other Social Media platforms trying to reach people with God's word--hours! Some of us have several Bible studies a week, along with church worship on Sunday, along with special praise gatherings. Many of us watch Christian TV or Christian programming on the internet.
                              A very well know pastor, now passed away set down from all the many elements of ministry they were doing. Why? Because in effect they too did all you just said... only to be told by God that they were failing in having a RELATIONSHIP with Him. All the WORKS you just spoke of... was the distraction (as a whole) keeping this person AWAY from a relationship with God. Doing all the works you just detailed was WHY this pastor was designated lukewarm by God and in obedience, this man set down and focused on "his" relationship with God. In effect, began to work out "his" salvation by just being a member of the church he was led to raise up and in so doing, lost sight of God in doing all those types of works... never having time for God.

                              In time, God "released" him and he returned to ministry that he was now able to put THIRD in his life. This person went from ministry first, family second, God third to the exact opposite where God was once again 1st, his first ministry which is family, was then 2nd and all those works... followed in a balance that did not crowd out God or his family.
                              Slug1--out

                              ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X