Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just feel like I need to save people from Hell TODAY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just feel like I need to save people from Hell TODAY!

I read a lot about Hell this weekend. What can I say, sometimes I need a kick in the butt to refocus on how important it is to spread the word. I know I am not ready yet, but when I think about how HORRIBLE Hell is, I feel unChristian for not spending ALL of my time trying to save people. Does anyone feel this way?

I mean, I read a lot of passages about Hell and its depicted as a lake of fire, a bottomless pit, a place where people will beg for a drop of water on their tongues.

And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matthew 25:30).

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death" (Revelation 21:8).

"And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame " (Luke 16:24).

"And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom" (Luke 16:23).

"The sorrows of hell compassed me about; the snares of death prevented me;" (2 Samuel 22:6).

Its the worst thing that can happen to someone!! Don't we have a duty to spend ALL our time saving people? I mean if I knew my mom or dad was kidnapped by someone and was being tormented by them, would I go to school like normal? Work at the bookstore like normal? Socialize with my friends and waste time like I know I do? Of course not! I'd be out there hanging up signs or talking with the police every day or searching for clues! I'd be obssessed!

So with Hell being like a million times worse than any Earthly torture, how can I just sit here and let people go to such a fate??? I feel so sad!

Bex

P.S. I meant to put "save" in the thread instead of "say"! *embarrassed*
    Last edited by Bex4Jesus; Dec 15th 2008, 08:22 PM.

you can edit your title..click on edit at the right hand bottom of the screen...once that comes up...again look for 'advanced edit' at the right hand bottom of the screen and then you can fix the title...

At for your post...the thing is many people don't believe in hell! So don't believe they need saving from it...how do you save someone that doesn't want to be saved?

That is the question....

That is why I don't get overly anxious about it...well one reason...its like trying to hold back a flood of water by yourself..

Second...we can't save anyone. Only God can. All we can do is lead them to God...but still He has to draw them to Him and they have to accept the gift offered...

While our work is important..its not all on our shoulders by any means. We are the workers in the field so to speak..important work but people's salvation doesn't solely rest on our shoulders by any means.

Ok...now I need to present something really difficult here but you need to be ready for it. I realize you are so excited and anxious to go out there and share the Good News...but you need to be ready for people like this:

you share the gospel and tell Joe how terrible hell is and how you want to 'save him from the horrors of it'....

And Joe says...why would you want to worship a God that tortures people and burns them alive forever in hell simply because they rejected him...sounds like some kind of terrorist dictator to me...'believe or suffer forever'...how can a loving God do such a thing? I don't want to have anything to do with a God like that...and I am appalled you would either...

How are you going to handle that?

This is what you will hear...especially on a college campus so you need to be ready for it...before you go out witnessing ...

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

I understand what you mean and I know I can't do it all by myself, but do you understand what I was saying??? Hell is so terrible, its horrible beyond words. I know some of my family does not believe. So I know, that right now,they would be going to Hell. Its been driving me crazy about how to lead them to Christ. I just HAVE to do it.

I've been having nightmares about family members and friends who don't have Jesus in their lives and its horrible. I mean, like I said, if my family was kidnapped, I wouldn't be like, "Oh well its really not on my shoulders - I didn't put them in the spot they are in." I'd be like, "I have to save you!"

Love to all,

Bex

Comment

Originally posted by Bex4Jesus View Post
        I understand what you mean and I know I can't do it all by myself, but do you understand what I was saying??? Hell is so terrible, its horrible beyond words. I know some of my family does not believe. So I know, that right now,they would be going to Hell. Its been driving me crazy about how to lead them to Christ. I just HAVE to do it.

I've been having nightmares about family members and friends who don't have Jesus in their lives and its horrible. I mean, like I said, if my family was kidnapped, I wouldn't be like, "Oh well its really not on my shoulders - I didn't put them in the spot they are in." I'd be like, "I have to save you!"

Love to all,

Bex
        Well I don't think the kidnapping thing is a good comparison though. Those that end up in hell do so willingly by rejecting Jesus. a person kidnapped had it happen against their will. I know that seems to not make sense when we feel they don't understand hell...nor believe in it...but the gospel message is about believing in Jesus not believing if there is a hell or not and the focus should be on Jesus. Jesus is our Savior from more then just hell...He has saved us from being a slave to sin...saved us from a spiritual death here and in the future...from so many things actually.

I feel when a person only focuses on hell many time it backfires for them. People need to see first how they need Jesus in their life 'now'...not for something after they die...and how being filled with the Holy Spirit improves our lives 'now'. Its so much more then just believe or burn in hell forever which too many reduce the gospel message too and this view causes many to really rebel against God...pushing them away from Him instead of too Him.

Anyway...as I said before when it comes down to it, only God can do the actual saving...unlike a situation with a kidnapper where you call the police and they hunt them down and 'save' them.

The best thing you can do for them right now is pray for their salvation! Prayer is an extremely powerful thing that isn't given enough credit too many times.

God bless
        "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post
          Well I don't think the kidnapping thing is a good comparison though. Those that end up in hell do so willingly by rejecting Jesus. a person kidnapped had it happen against their will. I know that seems to not make sense when we feel they don't understand hell...nor believe in it...but the gospel message is about believing in Jesus not believing if there is a hell or not and the focus should be on Jesus. Jesus is our Savior from more then just hell...He has saved us from being a slave to sin...saved us from a spiritual death here and in the future...from so many things actually.

I feel when a person only focuses on hell many time it backfires for them. People need to see first how they need Jesus in their life 'now'...not for something after they die...and how being filled with the Holy Spirit improves our lives 'now'. Its so much more then just believe or burn in hell forever which too many reduce the gospel message too and this view causes many to really rebel against God...pushing them away from Him instead of too Him.

Anyway...as I said before when it comes down to it, only God can do the actual saving...unlike a situation with a kidnapper where you call the police and they hunt them down and 'save' them.

The best thing you can do for them right now is pray for their salvation! Prayer is an extremely powerful thing that isn't given enough credit too many times.

God bless
          I keep coming back to this. How much worse is Hell then any idea of torment we can imagine???

Comment

I keep coming back to this. How much worse is Hell then any idea of torment we can imagine???
            Hell is not a place where demons are torturing people...nor do I believe are they physically burning either. The focus isn't on physical pain...why would it be when God is a spirit? And His concern is with the spirit? Yes it will be a horrible place...worse then these things I mentioned because its a speration from God, Himself...this time completely and totally. Even though nonbelievers don't believe in Him...He is still very much apart of everything...including them. It'll be like denying their is air to breath...until its totally cut off...pretty quickly you start believing there was air....30 second later, you are desperately wanting that air back in your life. This is how it will be for nonbelievers...they were suddenly and painfully realize how much God was in their lives...but it will be too late.

Anyway I know you are a college student ...will you be going home for Christmas break? And see some of this family you are concerned about? That might be an excellent time to talk to them about Christ. After all this time of the year focuses on Christ more then any other time and may be a great time to witness to them. Maybe you can talk them into going to a Christmas Eve services somewhere....then they will hear the Message.

God bless

Comment

Hi Bex,

You could always ask God, Commit it to God in prayer?

Chad

Love to all,

Bex

Comment

Originally posted by chad View Post
                Hi Bex,

You could always ask God, Commit it to God in prayer?

Chad
                But I don't think God leads everyone to Him, otherwise, we would all be Christian, you know???? Obviously there are TONS of people God does not 'make' follow Him, which leaves it up to us to help them find Jesus.

I know this is a bad example, but if you were in a burning building and you knew the way out but others didn't, wouldn't you help lead them out??? You wouldn't even think about just running away to save yourself.

Love to all,

Bex

Comment

But I don't think God leads everyone to Him, otherwise, we would all be Christian, you know???? Obviously there are TONS of people God does not 'make' follow Him, which leaves it up to us to help them find Jesus.

I know this is a bad example, but if you were in a burning building and you knew the way out but others didn't, wouldn't you help lead them out??? You wouldn't even think about just running away to save yourself.

Love to all,

Bex
                  This isn't true...God does give everyone a chance by drawing them to Him:

John 12:32
                  "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself."

He makes Himself know to everyone...

Romans 1:18
                  18 But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who push the truth away from themselves. 19 For the truth about God is known to them instinctively. God has put this knowledge in their hearts. 20 From the time the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky and all that God made. They can clearly see his invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse whatsoever for not knowing God.

There are many people around the world where their are no churches, no bibles, no one to witness to them...yet they get saved! This happens because God makes Himself known to them...

Before white people came to America the American Indian's knew who God and Jesus were...how was that possible with no bibles, no one to tell them? Because God isn't limited by what we can do...He gave them a vision of Him and they accepted Him. They call Him the Great White Spirit...which is exactly what God is...a spirit...white for purity and great. Of course not all the Indians accepted Him and continued on in their pagan ways and idol worship. The point is though everyone does have a chance as God doesn't want to lose anyone...

Matthew 18:14
                  "So it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones perish.

John 3:16
                  "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

2 Peter 3:9
                  The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

Of course this doesn't mean we shouldn't do our job in witnessing to people...faith comes by hearing...

Romans 10:16-18

16 However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, "LORD, WHO HAS BELIEVED OUR REPORT?"

17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

18 But I say, surely they have never heard, have they? Indeed they have;
                  "THEIR VOICE HAS GONE OUT INTO ALL THE EARTH,
                  AND THEIR WORDS TO THE ENDS OF THE WORLD."

God bless

Comment

So with Hell being like a million times worse than any Earthly torture, how can I just sit here and let people go to such a fate??? I feel so sad!
                    I know what you mean. Just remember you can't force what you want on people, but be gentle and show them slowly what may happen.

A good tool for those Naturalistic believers : The Truth of Hell

The site lists some decent empirical evidences, which can definitely make people think where they might be spending eternity.

Comment

Hi Bex,

God does a pretty good job in His own timing I think. I myself believing in free will believe that is why God does not “make” people follow him. I would not assume you could “make” them do anything either. I remember going back to my family after first understanding that Jesus was who He says He is. So exited I could hardly contain myself. My father almost disowned me and said the most hurtful things I ever heard from him. I thought I could “help” do it and put the pressure on. Backfire big time.

I have had the most success witnessing when I ask God to use me how He wants. Thy will be done sort of thing. He may have another purpose and time for the person you think needs it today.

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us. (2Co 4:7 NKJV)
                      You can stand and yell at them to follow you until you perish yourself. If they don’t want to come because they are trying to get all their gold and silver from the dresser first, they have the free will to do so. Think of the rest of the Lazerous story….

for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.' Abraham said to him, 'They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.' And he said, 'No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.' But he said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.' "(Luk 16:28-31 NKJV)

Now I am not saying don’t stay and call for them and just run out to save yourself, a few burns around the edges trying is honourable I think.

Peace,
                      Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Romber View Post
                        I know what you mean. Just remember you can't force what you want on people, but be gentle and show them slowly what may happen.

A good tool for those Naturalistic believers : The Truth of Hell

The site lists some decent empirical evidences, which can definitely make people think where they might be spending eternity.
                        Well now I know where people get this strange idea of hell being in the center of the earth...I don't believe it for one second.

And this verse they used to say people literally fell into hell in the bible:

Numbers 16:32-33 (New King James Version)

32 and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them up, with their households and all the men with Korah, with all their goods. 33 So they and all those with them went down alive into the pit; the earth closed over them, and they perished from among the assembly.

The Adam Clarke Commentary
                        And they go down quick into the pit
                        sheolah, a proof, among many others, that sheol, signifies here a chasm or pit of the earth, and not the place called hell; for it would be absurd to suppose that their houses had gone to hell; and it would be wicked to imagine that their little innocent children had gone thither, though God was pleased to destroy their lives with those of their iniquitous fathers.

the rich man in torment in the flames...if he was really burning, how could he be having a conversation? He would be screaming and its doubtful he would be aware others were there at all. Sites like this really bother me because they mix the truth in with some things that aren't true and twist scripture...

From the book "The Case for Faith" by Lee Strobel...some questions he asked J.P Moreland, trained in philosophy and science, about hell.

Lee: How could a loving God torture people forever in hell?

Moreland: For on thing, hell isn't a torture chamber. Hell is, first of all, about relationships--broken relationships. The Christian faith says that people matter intensely to God. If people matter, then so do relationships. In the bible, hell is separation or banishment from the most beautiful being in the world...God Himself. It's exclusion not only from God but also from those who have come to know and love Him.

Lee: Is hell a punishment for having broken God's standards, or is it a natural consequence of choosing to be separate from God?

Moreland: It's both. Make no mistake: hell IS punishment--but it's not a punishing. It's not torture. The punishment of hell is separation from God and the shame, anguish, and regret that go along with it. The pain may be both mental and physical, but it will be the pain and sorrow of final, unending banishment from God and the good life for which we were created. Hell is the final sentence that says you refused regularly to live in relationship with God, and the inevitable results of that choice is to be sent away from God for all eternity. It IS punishment. But it's also the natural consequence of a life that has been lived in a certain direction.

Lee: Is hell a physical place?

Moreland: Yes. The bible says that our bodies will be raised and our souls rejoined with them at the final judgment. Hell will need to be a physical place to house those physical bodies.

Lee: Will people burn in flames in hell?

Moreland: I believe that the imagery of flames the bible uses to describe hell is a figure of speech. Trying to take the flames of hell literally results in nonsense. For example, hell is described as a place of utter darkness. How can that be? Flames would light things up.

Here's a similar example: The bible says that, at His return Christ will come surrounded by flames and with a big word coming out of his mouth. Will he be unable to speak because he's choking on a sword? Few people consider that to be a literal sword. Instead, the sword in that passage of Scripture is an image that stands for the Word of God. The flames stand for Christ coming in judgment.

Another example: In Hebrews 12:29, God is called a consuming fire. Yet nobody thinks God is a cosmic Bunsen burner. Using the flame imagery is a way of saying he's a God of judgment.

Lee: What about hell being a place where worms constantly eat people's flesh?

Moreland: In Jesus' day, thousands of animals were sacrificed every week in the Temple, and there was a sewage system for the blood and fat to flow outside, where it gathered in a pool. There would have been worms and maggots constantly feeding on that waste. It must have been a very ugly---and smelly---place. When Jesus was teaching, he used this metaphor as a way of saying hell is worse than that disgusting place outside the city, a place all of His listeners would have known about.

Lee: Doesn't the phrase 'gnashing of teeth" used to describe hell mean that people are in pain and torture?

Moreland: "Gnashing of teeth" is an expression of rage at realizing you've just made a huge mistake. When you hear about people grinding their teeth or gritting their teeth today, it means their angry or frustrated, not that they are being tortured. If you've ever been around people who are really self-centered, you know they get angry when they don't get their way. I believe the gnashing of teeth mentioned in Scripture is an expression of the personality of the type of people who will end up in hell.

Lee: If hell isn't literally a fiery place with flesh-eating worms, what's so bad about being there"

Moreland: Any figure of speech has a literal point. What is figurative is the burning flame. What is literal is that this is a place of utter heartbreak. It's a loss of everything. The bible is trying to communicate that hell is the worse possible situation a person could ever find himself in.

Lee: If the people in hell are self-absorbed and self centered, is it possible that for them, heaven would be hell?

Moreland: Let me put it this way? Have you ever been around somebody who was unbelievably good-looking, extremely attractive, and alot smarter then you? When the two of you are in a group of people, the others will went to listen to him, not you. Suppose you don't care for that person, but you're kept in a room with him 24 hours a day for 30 year. That would be unbelievably difficult, even maddening.

Now multiply those qualities 10,000 times, and you'll get just a hint of what God is like. He knows everything. He's very attractive. He's morally pure. And if people do not fall passionately in love with Him, then to force them to have to be around him forever...doing the kinds of things that people who love him would want to do... would make them miserable. So, yes, hell is primarily a place for people who would not want to go to Heaven.

Lee: Who does everyone suffer the same in hell? That doesn't seem fair. Shouldn't people like Hitler suffer more?

Moreland: The bible teaches that there are different degrees of suffering in hell. One passage you can read about that is Matthew 11:20-24, Jesus says people wil be sentenced according to how they lived. There will be degrees of separation, isolation, and emptiness in hell. God's justice is proportional. There is not exactly the same experience for everyone.

Lee: Why are people punished forever? Wouldn't a loving God make the punishment fit the crime by not making hell last forever?

Moreland: This is a hard question to answer. When we think about the worse thing a person can do, usually we'll say its harming animals or destroying the environment or hurting another person. And, no question, all of those are horrible. But I believe that truly the worse thing a person can do is to mock and dishonor and refuse to love the person that we owe absolutely everything to: God our Creator.

You see, I know from experience that God is infinitely greater in his goodness, holiness, kindness, and justice that anyone esle. To think that a person could go through their whole life constantly ignoring him, constantly mocking him by the way they choose to live, saying, "I couldn't care less about what you put me her to do. I couldn't care less about your values or your Son's death for me. I'm going to ignore all that"...THAT'S the ultimate sin.

And its the only sin, when you come down to it, that lands people in hell. There will be murderers in Heaven...like the apostle Paul. There will be adulterers in heaven--like King David. And liars like Abraham and cheaters like Jacob. But what you won't find in heaven is anyone who consistently and persistently refused to have a relationship with Jesus Christ. That's that ultimate sin. And the consequence of that is everlasting separation from God.

I also don't believe anyone can just accidentally drill down into hell.

What's at the center of the earth?
                        October 18, 2005

Dear Straight Dope:

What's at the earth's core? Molten lava? Rock? Hell? Someone told me no one knows for sure.

— B

The inner core of the earth is a hot, dense solid sphere, composed primarily of iron, with some nickel. Its diameter is about 2400 km, about 19% of the earth's diameter. There is some evidence [see reference 1] that the core is in hexagonal crystalline form, possibly one giant crystal!

Surrounding the inner core is a layer of outer core 2300 km thick. The outer core is liquid, again [2] mostly iron (85%) with some nickel (5%) and some lighter element(s) (10%). The heat-induced roiling in this liquid iron layer is what creates the earth's magnetic field. Together the outer and inner core comprise 1/8 of the earth's volume, but 1/3 of its mass.

On top of the outer core is a layer called the mantle. It's composed mostly of silicate minerals containing magnesium, iron, aluminum, and calcium [2]. The mantle is hot and malleable. It's 2900 km thick (45% of the earth's depth) and comprises 7/8 of the earth's volume and 2/3 of its mass.

God bless

Comment

Hi Bex,

I just wanted to add that of the many people I have shared the Good News of Jesus *Gospel* with I don’t know what most have them have done afterward. And of maybe two or three I know say they now believe, I was just a very small part if any part at all. All the Glory goes to God.

Comment

I read a lot about Hell this weekend. What can I say, sometimes I need a kick in the butt to refocus on how important it is to spread the word. I know I am not ready yet, but when I think about how HORRIBLE Hell is, I feel unChristian for not spending ALL of my time trying to save people. Does anyone feel this way?

I mean, I read a lot of passages about Hell and its depicted as a lake of fire, a bottomless pit, a place where people will beg for a drop of water on their tongues.

And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matthew 25:30).

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death" (Revelation 21:8).

"And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame " (Luke 16:24).

"And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom" (Luke 16:23).

"The sorrows of hell compassed me about; the snares of death prevented me;" (2 Samuel 22:6).

Its the worst thing that can happen to someone!! Don't we have a duty to spend ALL our time saving people? I mean if I knew my mom or dad was kidnapped by someone and was being tormented by them, would I go to school like normal? Work at the bookstore like normal? Socialize with my friends and waste time like I know I do? Of course not! I'd be out there hanging up signs or talking with the police every day or searching for clues! I'd be obssessed!

Bex

P.S. I meant to put "save" in the thread instead of "say"! *embarrassed*
                            You must have read my post on the other topic about the scale of witnessing from doing almost nothing, living your life and answering questions only if by chance someone asks - all the way to giving up 'normal' life and just witnessing every minute possible.

At present i think you have 2 options as new in Christ. Either for the present you get stuck into the bible and learn and just live and answer the small things you already know or you ask your church/ mission organisations if you can join them. Make the sandwiches, drive people from a to b , and just play a support role as you watch, listen and learn.

Perhaps the moderators could suggest study methods? I personally suggest that you read the WHOLE bible and leave the subject of hell for the present. It looks like you've been using a computer or study aid to focus and this subject and it doesn't seem to be helping you. Contect is so important.

If you are eager - try 2 chapters a day like me, may be 3. Start at Matthew chapter 1. This time next year you'll have read the whole bible and can begin again. 5 or 6 read throughs and you'll be ready to do more. OK perhaps 2 only? SofTy.
                            1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Comment

I feel like I am getting mixed messages. God may reveal Himself to people in different ways, but He gives us free will so people can reject God once or twice or more, but maybe eventually they will accept him, IF someone is there to help lead them in the right direction. But if no one is there to nudge them, it may never happen.

And whether Hell is REALLY fire or just super torment, its still totally horrible and I just can't figure out, how if you REALLY believe in Hell and how horrible it is, why you wouldn't spend more time leading people away?!?? Its SOOOOO confusing because that doesn't make sense to me at all.

Love to all,

Bex

Comment

Working...
                              X