As I struggle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As I struggle...

...to quit smoking I wonder if people who work for the tobacco companies are sinning by earning a paycheck peddling cancer sticks.

Your thoughts?
    As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Hmmm. Sin is the breaking of God's law. I don't recall anything about 'thou shalt not manufacture nor sell tobacco products.'

Comment

Even though they know that it is addicting and causes numerous health problems and death?

Comment

Yep. What was it Paul said, 'All things are permisible. Not all things are expedient' (paraphrased).

Comment

Would you also argue that the bible permits the selling of cocaine, etc?
          Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
          Proverbs 3:5

My soul yearns for you in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for you. When your judgements come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness.
          Isaiah 26:9

Comment

Would you argue that the Bible disallows the selling of cocaine? If so, please provide the scriptures.
            (That is not to say I would condone doing any of the above......)

Comment

Originally posted by Gulah Papyrus View Post
              ...to quit smoking I wonder if people who work for the tobacco companies are sinning by earning a paycheck peddling cancer sticks.

Your thoughts?

Why do you find it a struggle to quit smoking? Why don't you just quit and be done with it? I'm speaking from experience here, so I'm not telling you to do something that is impossible.

I used to smoke a pack or so a day. One day I simply decided to quit smoking for good. I haven't smoked since. To give an idea how long ago that was, when I quit smoking, cigarettes were 65 cents a pack. The same way with pot. I used to be a bigtime pothead, I started smoking in the early 70s. In Oct 1985 I decided I didn't want to smoke anymore of it, so I abruptly quit just like that. I have not smoked any weed since that day in 1985 nor will I ever again. Why? Because I quit and I meant it. No struggling to deal with. It's not as hard to do as you think. It only becomes hard to do when you really don't do it. Also, I didn't mean to get off topic, but when I saw that word 'struggle'...oh well.

Comment

That's great that you were able to drop smoking so easily...Others arent always so fortunate. The fact of the matter is that nicotine's addictive properties are on-par with that of heroin. I still fight having a smoke so I can sleep at night.

Originally posted by tayariswife View Post
                Would you also argue that the bible permits the selling of cocaine, etc?
                Cocaine is illegal...Therefore, manufacturing or selling it would be going against the Lord's command to submit to government. I do not agree with the use of cocaine at all, be it legal or not, but I only answer by the context of your question.
                Jeremy, a bondservant of the Lord.

Today is a good day to die for Christ.

Comment

You can be sure people who work for tobacco companies are sinning--a trait they have in common with everyone but Jesus.
                  Phl 4:11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

Comment

Your thoughts?
                    My father is in the hospital right now with emphysema at the age of 59 and not doing very well at all. This past year his brother, sister, and mother all passed away from the same thing. I hate cigarettes and can't understand what makes them worthy of being legal, they have no medical benefits... yet marijuana which does have medical benefits is illegal... go figure!
                    Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
                    -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post
                      Why do you find it a struggle to quit smoking? Why don't you just quit and be done with it? I'm speaking from experience here, so I'm not telling you to do something that is impossible.

I used to smoke a pack or so a day. One day I simply decided to quit smoking for good. I haven't smoked since. To give an idea how long ago that was, when I quit smoking, cigarettes were 65 cents a pack. The same way with pot. I used to be a bigtime pothead, I started smoking in the early 70s. In Oct 1985 I decided I didn't want to smoke anymore of it, so I abruptly quit just like that. I have not smoked any weed since that day in 1985 nor will I ever again. Why? Because I quit and I meant it. No struggling to deal with. It's not as hard to do as you think. It only becomes hard to do when you really don't do it. Also, I didn't mean to get off topic, but when I saw that word 'struggle'...oh well.
                      Congratulation?

Why do i struggle? Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nicotine addiction?

Comment

Your thoughts?

If they are then I am sinning driving a diesel truck. I don't even have to peddle (maybe pedal) my wares; I give away free of charge plenty of carcinogenic fumes
                        ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

Originally posted by crossnote View Post
                          If they are then I am sinning driving a diesel truck. I don't even have to peddle (maybe pedal) my wares; I give away free of charge plenty of carcinogenic fumes
                          Actually - diesel burns cleaner than regular unleaded gasoline. You're good!
                          Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
                          Not second or third, but first.
                          Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
                          when He is the source of all hope,
                          when His love is received and freely given,
                          holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
                          will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

Your thoughts?
                            It's still your choice to smoke, is it not?

Are workers at McDonalds sinning by cranking out those addictive Big Macs and french fries day after day?

I can't understand how they would be sinning by making a product that is legal and that no one is forced to use.
                            My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Kahtar View Post
                              Hmmm. Sin is the breaking of God's law. I don't recall anything about 'thou shalt not manufacture nor sell tobacco products.'
                              I'd consider it as being under the part of "Do not kill". Such people are wantonly creating, packaging, marketing, and profiting off of something that does nothing except kill the person who uses it. They make money by seducing and killing people through a little box filled with chemicals that, when ingested otherwise, could kill a person in no-time at all. They don't care about their customers, they hold no value for life, and they most certainly don't care if the people giving them money keel over as a result of the product they're making.

When you take away all of the semantics and build-up, when you really get right down to it, all they're doing is selling death.

Just because smoking is a "choice" doesn't suddenly mean the manufacturers are clean of any wrongdoing.

Are workers at McDonalds sinning by cranking out those addictive Big Macs and french fries day after day?
                              Big Mac's aren't "addictive". If anyone gets addicted to them, it's because they like the taste and have no self-restraint. On the other hand, cigarettes and the like, do contain chemicals that are addictive: the body's regular workings are altered by the chemicals and quickly adapts to them, then freaks out when it doesn't get enough. No one's pouring nicotine into the cooking grease for burgers. Cigarettes, on the other hand...
                              To This Day

Comment

Working...
                              X