Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crucified third hour - What is the third hour today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crucified third hour - What is the third hour today?

Mark 15:25 says Jesus was crucified the third hour...Q. What time would the third hour be in today's time?

Mark 15:25
    And it was the third hour, and they crucified him.

Jews measured a day from sunrise to sunset.

Jesus was crucified roughly over a 6 hour period.

He was put on the cross mid morning at the 3rd hour.

Roughly 3 hours later, at the 6th hour of crucifixion, darkness covered the land. (for the next 3 hours)

At the 9th hour, Jesus gave up the ghost and commended His spirit into the Father’s hand, as the earth shook and the temple veil ripped asunder.

Comment

David...thank you...so based on your answer...in practical terms...where I live in California I just checked what time is sunrise...6:55am...so rounding off to 7:00am...accordingly...our Lord was crucified about 10:00am...then starting about 1:00pm darkness covered the whole land for the following three hours...that is until about 4:00pm...and our Lord gave up the ghost...that is, He died...(then rose again three days later)...

Thanks again for clarifying the sunrise day start...as i wanted to know in a practical time frame how Jesus paid my way into heaven...He is so wonderful beyond words...praise His wonderful name...thank you Jesus...praise Your wonderful mighty name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...thank You....thank You....

Comment

Ok so...now that we have established when the eternal superbowl was won...let's forego for the time being all the things His death supplied us...such as the power we now have...and look at how long before he rose again...

We have established that He died about 4:00pm on a Friday...and by sunrise the following Sunday He had risen...because we know from Mark 16:1-6 that two Mary's...Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Salome...came to His sepulcher at the rising of the sun...and He was gone...

Quote:
        Mark 16:1-6
        1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
        2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
        3 And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?
        4 And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great.
        5 And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
        6 And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.
        Unquote

Comment

I dont believe the scriptures teach Jesus was crucified on Friday.

That has become a Roman Catholic tradition that is celebrated today as if it were Friday.

The scriptures better align for me, with a Wed-Thu Crucifixion, especially knowing that passover week that year had an extra sabbath day that week (called a high Sabbath), that was after the crucifixion but before the regular weekly Sabbath.

Comment

Originally posted by David Taylor View Post
            I dont believe the scriptures teach Jesus was crucified on Friday.

That has become a Roman Catholic tradition that is celebrated today as if it were Friday.

The scriptures better align for me, with a Wed-Thu Crucifixion, especially knowing that passover week that year had an extra sabbath day that week (called a high Sabbath), that was after the crucifixion but before the regular weekly Sabbath.
            I do not know anything about catholic tradition...matter fact I don't really recall reading or hearing any opinion what day Jesus was crucified. My assertion Jesus was crucified on a Friday is based on Mark 15:42

Mark 15:42
            And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the Sabbath,
            Unquote

The Sabbath is Saturday...so the "day before" would certainly be Friday...Mark 15:42 clearly seems to be speaking of what was happening after Jesus had given up the ghost. Indeed Mark 15:42 is part of the narrative of what happened after Jesus had given up the ghost...that is from the time the veil was torn in the temple (15:38)...to when Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses beheld where He Jesus was laid (15:47)...I believe all those paragraphs reference the day Jesus was crucified…Therefore they would all be taking place “the day before the Sabbath” as Mark 15:42 asserts.

It’s not clear to me how having an extra Sabbath day that week could change “the day before the Sabbath” from being a Friday....Moreover I don’t understand how there could be two Sabbaths in one week...or if so what it would imply.

Comment

Carlton,
              The sabbath they were taking Jesus off the cross to prepare for was not the usual weekly Sabbath.
              That is how you know He wasn’t crucified on Friday.
              Also Jesus and other NT writers tell us many times He would be in the grave for 3 days.
              A Friday crucifixion is only a portion of 1 day (Friday), and 1 full day Saturday. He rose before dawn Sunday so Sunday cannot be counted as day 3.
              Day 3 in the grave has to be Saturday....the question then becomes are we counting full days (a Wed crucifixion), or only portions of a days (a Thu crucifixion).

To be dead at least a portion of three days, He had to be crucified at least on Thursday.

John 19 shows us Jesus was taken off the cross and buried quickly before the special High Day sabbath (Friday), which is distinguished from the regular weekly (Saturday) sabbath.

John 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.”

An indepth detail tieing all the scriptures together (this one argues a Wed not Thu crucifixion), is found here:

http://www.centuryone.com/crucifixion.html

I personally am have not spent enough time to decide if Wed or Thu is the most likely candidate, but I am convinced either are more convincing than Friday.

Comment

Working...
              X