Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daniel 9:24-27's Historic Prophesy & Historic Fulfillment (457BC - 30AD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel 9:24-27's Historic Prophesy & Historic Fulfillment (457BC - 30AD)

I am not placing this topic in ETC, because I this study does not approach these scriptures from an End-Times perspective.

This is a topic that has many schools of thought, spanning many systematic viewpoints for when it's fulfillment occurred/occurs/will occur.

This study is solely from the historic prophesy and historic fulfillment perspective.(of Daniel 9:24-27 only, there are many future End-Tme prophecies remaining, just not this one).

Those holding to an ETC fulfillment of all or parts of Daniel 9:24-27's seventy weeks are welcome to share their varying perspective in the ETC sub-forum.

Firstly, I will list my understanding of the timeline; and then I will list the scriptures that I believe match those dates to the historical fulfillment.
    Secondly, I will list my understanding of the events themselves, and what I believe historically accounts for their fulfillment within that time-frame.

Summary:
    Daniel 9:24-27 began in the initiation of the 1st Week of 70 in 457 B.C. and concluded 'in the midst' of the final 70th Week in 30 A.D.

Daniel's use of week denotes a group of seven years. This is commonly accepted by nearly all viewpoints regarding this passage.
    70 full weeks of years span 490 years. 69 full weeks of years span 483 years. In the midst of the 70th week is roughly 486/7 years for complete fulfillment of the prophesy.

Note on the 'final' or 'missing' 3.5 years:
    Some students believe all years of all 70 Weeks (490) must be accounted for, and will attempt to find a place to persist the final 'missing' 3.5 years elsewhere.
    I do not believe this is needed, because the prophecy only states that it will be a 70 Weeks of year time period for the prophecy, not that every year must be accounted for, or that it could not conclude any time within the final 70th year. Likewise, since verse 27 itself points to the final week, and the event occuring in the midst of that week, I see the conclusion there; with no necessity for the final 3.5 years.
    This would be like me saying I am going to go to Canada in 5 years. If I left today, and arrive there in 2025, I do not have to arrive on Dec 31 for the prophesy to be completed, just some time within the midst of the final year. Same for using 7 year (week) segments.

Daniel 9 Prophecy with timeline pointers of the prophetic weeks
    24 Seventy weeks(483-490 years) are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.
    25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment
    (1w) to restore and to build Jerusalem(49y) unto the Messiah the Prince(434y) shall be seven weeks(49y), and threescore and two weeks(49y+434y total 483y): the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.

26a And after threescore and two weeks(after the 69w or first 483y, aka within the 70w) shall Messiah be cut off,
    26b (this is an additional parenthetical prophecy of an additional event that takes place afterward, and outside of the 70 Weeks prophecy. Namely of the destruction of the city and temple, that Jesus Himself spoke in Matthew 23/24 and Luke 21. That event is outside the scope of this 70 weeks study.)
    27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week(70w confirmation occurrence not duration): and in the midst of the week(70w 483-490y) he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

Daniel 9 Prophecy with current Gregorian Calendar B.C./A.D. year pointers of the prophetic weeks
    24 Seventy weeks(457 B.C. - 30 A.D.) are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.
    25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment
    (457 B.C.) to restore and to build Jerusalem(408 B.C.) unto the Messiah the Prince(27 A.D.*) shall be seven weeks(408 B.C.), and threescore and two weeks(27 A.D.*): the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
    26a And after threescore and two weeks
    (30 A.D.*) shall Messiah be cut off,
    27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week
    (30 A.D.*): and in the midst of the week(30 A.D.*) he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

* an additional year must be considered, because there was no 'year 0' in the Gregorian Calendar between 1 B.C. and 1 A.D.

Details in Scriptures arriving at the above dates:

from the going forth of the commandment(457 B.C.) to restore and to build Jerusalem(408 B.C.)
    Week 1 Start: 457 B.C. (Decree to Go Forth)
    Ezra 7:8 "And Ezra came to Jerusalem in the fifth month, which was in the seventh year of the king(457 B.C.). For upon the first day of the first month began he to go up from Babylon, and on the first day of the fifth month came he to Jerusalem, according to the good hand of his God upon him.For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the law of the LORD, and to do it, and to teach in Israel statutes and judgments. Now this is the copy of the letter that the king Artaxerxes gave unto Ezra the priest, the scribe, even a scribe of the words of the commandments of the LORD, and of his statutes to Israel. Artaxerxes, king of kings, unto Ezra the priest, a scribe of the law of the God of heaven, perfect peace, and at such a time. I make a decree, that all they of the people of Israel, and of his priests and Levites, in my realm, which are minded of their own freewill to go up to Jerusalem, go with thee. "

Weeks 1-7 End: 408 B.C. (Jerusalem rebuilt)
    Daniel 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment(457 B.C.) to restore and to build Jerusalem...shall be seven weeks (408 B.C.)

Weeks 1-69 End, Week 70 Starts: 27 A.D. (Messiah the Prince ministry begins)
    Daniel 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment(457 B.C.) to restore and to build Jerusalem (408 B.C.) unto the Messiah the Prince(27 A.D.*) shall be seven weeks(408 B.C.), and threescore and two weeks(27 A.D.*):

More details that Jesus' ministry started in week 27 A.D.

Luke 3 tells us:
    3:1 3 Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, ..., the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness. 3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins; 21 Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened, 22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased 23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age

Jesus at age 30, began his ministry at his baptism, in the 15th year of Tiberius Caesars reign began in 12 A.D., so 12 + 15 =(27 A.D.)

John quotes heroes temple as 46 years old (started 19 B.C.) in John 2:20. "Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? "
    19+46+1*=(27 A.D.)

This info tells us Jesus was born circa 4 B.C. 27-30-1*= 4 B.C.

At Jesus birth Quirinius was gov of Syria (Roman documents state 5BC)

Herod the great great still lived , he died in March 4 B.C. according to Josephus at the time of an eclipse, and Matthew 2:19-22's account of his son Herod Archelaus being his successor after they returned from Egypt to Nazareth.
    "But when Herod(the Great) was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt, Saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young child's life. And he arose, and took the young child and his mother, and came into the land of Israel. But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee:"

Jesus was born circa 4 B.C. before Herod the great's death.

So Jesus birth scriptures and dates from Matthew and Luke 4 B.C. corroborate his ministry starting at age 30 from Luke 3; in (27 A.D.), when Daniel prophesied Messiah the Prince would be known.

Weeks 1-70 End, 'In the Midst' of week 70, 27 A.D. to 30 A.D.
    The gospels record that Jesus Ministry lasted 3 years (counting the mentioned Passovers).
    John 2:13, 6:4, 11:55

26a And after threescore and two weeks(30 A.D.*) shall Messiah be cut off,
    27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week
    (30 A.D.*): and in the midst of the week(30 A.D.*) he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

27 A.D. (Ministry began as 70th final week began) plus 3 years ministry.
    John 2:13, 6:4, 11:55

30 A.D. The time of Messiah being cut off, within and ‘in the midst’ of the final 70th week, and He confirmed the covenant with many in His blood, and the abominable sacrificial system was left desolate forevermore.
    His perfect sacrificial blood was slain and the temple veil was torn asunder, denoting the desolation and end of animal sacrifice and oblation, with the one-time final sacrifice of His perfect body, forevermore, unto the consummation of time.

Conclusion:
    Now, how were the items of Daniel 9:24 fulfilled during the 70 weeks, starting in 457 B.C. and culminating in 30 A.D.?
    1. to finish the transgression, and
      Hebrews 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new covenant, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions
    2. to make an end of sins, and
      Matthew 26:28 “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
    3. to make reconciliation for iniquity, and
      Romans 5:10 we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son
    4. to bring in everlasting righteousness, and
      Romans 3:21 But now the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe
    5. to seal up the vision and prophecy, and
      Luke 24:44 And Jesus said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me(the topic and theme of Daniel's prophecy).
      Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are witnesses of these things.
    6. to anoint the most Holy.
      Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the good news, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
    What a might Saviour we serve! Fulfilled Prophecy in the most glorious detail, given by Daniel to us.

I will end with the N.T. counterpart to Daniel 9's prophecy, written over 500 years later, but touches on almost all of the salient points and concepts from Daniel's prophecy, showing all of the depth of fulfillment in Christ.

Hebrews 9-10
    "For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us: Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin. Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, By a new and living way"

That is great, David. I agree with all of that. I appreciate all the effort you put into that.

The only thing I'm not certain about is whether the prophecy was completely fulfilled in the middle of the 70th week. I certainly think that's a viable possibility, but Daniel 9:27 does say he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week. That gives the impression that the duration of confirming the covenant would be one week, which we know is 7 years.

But, I do acknowledge that it could just be saying there would be one final week (the 70th week) during which he would confirm the covenant and it doesn't mean it would have to take the entire 7 years to confirm it.

I haven't studied this in depth for years, but I know I used to think that the second half of the 70th week (I understood the first half the same as you) related to when the gospel first started being preached and how after Pentecost it went out from Jerusalem to the Gentile nations through the power of the Holy Spirit. So, when it came to Cornelius and his family and other Gentiles then that confirmed the new covenant with many (not just Jews but also Gentiles). But, I'll have to study that a bit more to see if it fits or if your understanding fits better.

Comment

Thanks Eric,
      I think some of the issue is that Daniel is using this 'week grouping' of seven years; and that is abnormal, and it of itself creates some confusion for us.

If I where to say, we have a 40 month prophecy.
      In 2 months abc will occur,
      In 15 months def will occur,
      In 31 months ghi will occur, and
      in 40 months, xyz will occur.

To require the fulfillment of the prophecy, does not require the 40th month event to occur on day 31. It just has to occur within that last group (somewhere within month 40's 31-days) or in Daniel jargon (week 7-years)..

We know that Christ confirmed the covenant in His blood for the many, in the midst of the final week (7 years).

The New testament gives us more info than Daniel, letting us know that both the covenant for the many, and the ending of the sacrifice and oblation all occurred and centered around 1 thing; that happened at one time.

Calvary. Which was i'n the midst' (3 -3.5 years) of the final 70th week.

I know some guys like to try to push a final 3.5 years after Calvary toward Stephen, and some to the end of time, etc....because they think something must occur in ever year, month, day, hour, and minute of the full 70 week prophecy, or it doesn't count. I think that is just too burdensome and unnecessary, based and what did occur.

And even then, that is a very secondary issue.
      That the glory and honor and power of the fulfilled prophecy from Daniel's Pen, to Artexerses Decree, to The last stone of the temple being layed, to the birth and ministry of Messiah, to his death; all align perfectly. That is the magnus-opus!

That large modern groups of believers have mis-interpretted Daniel to ignore, dismiss, and re-invent it to mean something completely different, is the shame.

Aside from Psalms 22; Daniel 9 is probably the most powerful fulfilled Messianic passage in the Bible; and is definately the most technically accurate and beyond coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by David Taylor View Post
        Thanks Eric,
        I think some of the issue is that Daniel is using this 'week grouping' of seven years; and that is abnormal, and it of itself creates some confusion for us.

If I where to say, we have a 40 month prophecy.
        In 2 months abc will occur,
        In 15 months def will occur,
        In 31 months ghi will occur, and
        in 40 months, xyz will occur.

To require the fulfillment of the prophecy, does not require the 40th month event to occur on day 31. It just has to occur within that last group (somewhere within month 40's 31-days) or in Daniel jargon (week 7-years)..
        I agree. Which is why I'm perfectly fine with your view of the 70th week.

We know that Christ confirmed the covenant in His blood for the many, in the midst of the final week (7 years).
        Absolutely agree. In terms of putting the new covenant into effect, that was accomplished by His death and resurrection. If the confirming of the covenant only refers to that, then it was done at that point.

The New testament gives us more info than Daniel, letting us know that both the covenant for the many, and the ending of the sacrifice and oblation all occurred and centered around 1 thing; that happened at one time.

Calvary. Which was i'n the midst' (3 -3.5 years) of the final 70th week.

I know some guys like to try to push a final 3.5 years after Calvary toward Stephen, and some to the end of time, etc....because they think something must occur in ever year, month, day, hour, and minute of the full 70 week prophecy, or it doesn't count. I think that is just too burdensome and unnecessary, based and what did occur.

And even then, that is a very secondary issue.
        I agree. It's not something even worth spending much time talking about, in my view. Just interesting to think about. The main thing is that all the things described in the prophecy were accomplished by Christ long ago.

That the glory and honor and power of the fulfilled prophecy from Daniel's Pen, to Artexerses Decree, to The last stone of the temple being layed, to the birth and ministry of Messiah, to his death; all align perfectly. That is the magnus-opus!

That large modern groups of believers have mis-interpretted Daniel to ignore, dismiss, and re-invent it to mean something completely different, is the shame.

Aside from Psalms 22; Daniel 9 is probably the most powerful fulfilled Messianic passage in the Bible; and is definately the most technically accurate and beyond coincidence.
        I couldn't agree more.

Comment

Working...
        X