Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Daily Bible study - Isaiah (2)

Isaiah (2)

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Isaiah was a prophet of the southern kingdom of Judah, at the time the northern kingdom, Israel, was destroyed by the Assyrians. . . we may tentatively place his active ministry at about 745 – 695 BC.”

Isaiah 1

What does the text say? – Isaiah had Visions of God during the reigns of Uzziah, Jothan, Ahaz, and Hezekiah in Judah. God said the Israelites had rebelled against Him, forsaken Him and provoked His anger, but He had allowed a small remnant to remain in the land. God asked what the purposes of their sacrifices was, saying they gave Him no pleasure at all. He told the people to stop taking meaningless gifts to Him as they are sinful, a burden to Him, not a pleasure. God said He would not listen to their prayers, for their sins were many, the people must stop doing evil and learn to do good. Eg. seek justice, help the oppressed, defend the fatherless and plead for widows. The Lord said that though the people’s sins were scarlet He would wash them as white as wool. If His people obeyed Him they’d have plenty to eat, but if they rebelled against Him they’d die in battle. Jerusalem had become an evil place but the Lord of Heaven’s armies would turn against them, would remove all impurities and give good counsellors and wise judges and those who repented would be righteous, but sinners will be completely destroyed.

Application? – Am I fully aware of the Holiness of God, or do I regard Him as an amiable ‘Father Christmas’? Does my ‘worship’ of God come from my heart or does He regard it as meaningless? Could what I ‘do for God’ be a burden to Him? Does God pay as much attention to my prayers as I do to Him? Would I be wise to repent? Do I obey God or rebel against Him while give the outward appearance of being a ‘good Christian’? Do I go to Christian meetings mainly to meet with God or other people?

Re: My Daily Bible study - Isaiah (2)

Isaiah 2

What does the text say? – Isaiah’s Vision concerning Judah and Jerusalem was that in future the hill the Temple stands on will be the highest mountain on the earth, and people from many nations will go there to learn of the Lord; He will mediate between nations and settle international disputes and there will be no more war (the opposite of Joel 3:10). The descendants of Jacob were rejected by the Lord because of their evil practices and alliances. Although their land is full of good things, it is also full of idols the people have made for themselves which they bow down and worship, so they will be humbled. Only the Lord will be exalted on the day of Judgement; He will punish, and bring low, everyone and everything prestigious. He will break down mighty trees and level the hills and mountains, every tower and wall, all the trading ships, human pride and arrogance and only the Lord will be exalted on Judgement day. Idols will completely disappear when the Lord shakes the earth and people hide from the terror of the Lord and His Glorious Majesty; they will leave their idols and abandon their gold and silver idols, and try to escape the terror of the Lord. Don’t put your trust in mere humans, they are as frail as a breath.

Application? – Do I spend time with the Lord both alone and with other people who also want to learn more of Him? Does the Lord reject me because of my ungodly practices and alliances? Is anything, or anyone, my idol taking the Lord’s place in my life? Do I humble myself before the Lord? Could tsunamis, volcanoes, tornados and hurricanes be signs of the Lord’s Anger and coming Judgement?

Comment

Isaiah 3+4

What does the text say? – The Lord will remove everything Judah and Jerusalem depend on; all the bread and water, the heroes and soldiers, judges and prophets, diviners and elders, army officers and high officials, advisors, skilled craftsmen and astrologers. He will make boys their leaders and toddlers their rulers. People will oppress each other. Young people will insult their elders. No one will want to rule the ruins of the once-proud land. Judah will fall because the people refuse to obey the Lord and don’t even try to hide their Sin. The wicked are doomed but the Godly will receive the riches of the wealthy. The men will be killed and the women live in poverty, there will be 7 times more women than men left alive. Those who have survived those times of Judgement will be holy and the Lord will wash the filth away, leaving everything beautiful – then He will protect His people

Application? – Do I oppress anyone? Could difficulties I face be a result of disobedience to the Lord? Does the bad behaviour of many of the youth today be a result of the nation disregarding God? Does ‘the Branch of the Lord’ refer to Jesus Christ?

Comment

[I]Isaiah 5[/I
        ]
        What does the text say? – Isaiah’s song about Israel, God’s vineyard, planted on a rich fertile hill. God ploughed the land, cleared the stones and planted the best vines, He built a watch-tower in the middle, and carved a winepress in the rock. When the grapes were harvested they were not sweet but bitter – what more could He have done? He would leave His vineyard untended, having no rain, and be left for the wild animals. The people of Judah are those vines. The Lord had expected a crop of justice but found oppression, He expected righteousness but heard cries of violence. No one considers the Lord or what He wants, therefore they will go into captivity, those who are now honoured will starve and the majority will die of thirst. Woe to those who mock God, who say evil is good and good is evil. What sorrow will come for those who are wise in their own eyes but who God considers foolish as they despise the Lord and reject His Law. Now He will crush them with nations from far away.

Application? – Do I represent a wild or cultivated grapevine? Is the fruit I produce for the Lord sweet or bitter? Do I do what the Lord wants? Do I ever mock God by saying what is evil is good, or what is good, evil? Do I reject God’s Law?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “The vast estates of the rich, accumulated by robbing the poor, would soon be waste-land . . . Invading nations – Assyria in Isaiah’s time; Babylonians 100 years later destroyed Jerusalem; and Romans in AD70 who struck the death-blow to Jewish national existence.”

Comment

Isaiah 6

What does the text say? –_In the year that king Uzziah died Isaiah had a Vision of the Lord on a throne in the Temple ‘high and lifted up’, with seraphim flying above, all crying ‘Holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts, the whole earth is filled with His Glory’. Their voices shook the Temple and the whole building was filled with smoke. Then Isaiah confessed how sinful he, and the people he lived among, were; then one of the seraphim took a burning coal from the altar, touched his lips with it, and told him his Sins were Forgiven and guilt removed. Then he heard the Lord saying “Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” Then Isaiah said “Here am I. Send me.” Isaiah was sent to tell the people the Lord’s Message – they would listen but not understand as their hearts would be hardened so they would not turn back to Him; Isaiah asked how long for and the Lord replied that He was removing nine tenths of the people from the land.

Application? – Have I acknowledged my Sinfulness? Do I trust Jesus Christ to be my Saviour? I will not be useful to the Lord until He has cleansed me. Am I willing to go wherever the Lord sends me? Am I willing to be disbelieved and ignored by the Lord’s people?

Quote:- (David Pawson)- “Uzziah (792-740BC) was a good king to begin with and had a long reign of 52years. But in the last years he became a bad king . . . and died of leprosy. “

Comment

Isaiah 7

What does the text say? – Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”The occasion of this prophecy was the invasion of Judah by the kings of Syria and Israel. They attacked Judah separately (2Chronicals 28:5-6), then conjointly (2 Kings 16:5). Their object was to displace Ahaz with another king. Ahaz appealed to the king of Assyria for help (2 Kings 16:7). The king of Assyria responded with an invasion of Syria and North Israel, and carried their people away into captivity (2 Kings 15:29; 16:9). This was the Galilee captivity (734BC). In the early part of this Syro/Israelite attack on Jerusalem Isaiah ventured to assure Ahaz that the attack would fail, Syria and Israel be destroyed, and Judah be saved. The 65 years is thought to cover the period from the first deportation of Israel (734BC), to the settlement of foreigners in the land by Esar-haddon about 670BC (2 Kings 17:24, Ezra 4:2). The “Virgin” and her son “Immanuel” is spoken of as a sign intended to give assurance to sceptical Ahaz of speedy deliverance. The virgin is not named but the reference is to something very unusual . . . that was to happen forthwith in David’s family. It is a case of blending pictures in near and far horizons, as is so frequent in the prophets".

Isaiah 8,

What does the text say? – Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”
            In connection with the Syro-Israel invasion of Judah 3 children are mentioned: one in the family of David, “Immanuel” (7:13-14); and two in Isaiah’s own family, “Shear-jashub” (7:3) and “Maher-shal-hash-baz” (8:1-4). Shear-jashub means ‘a remnant shall return’. A hundred years before it came to pass, the Baylonian captivity of Judah envisions a remnant and it’s glorious future, is the main theme of Isaiah’s book. “Maher-shal-hash-baz’ means ‘the spoil speeds, the prey hastens’, that is Syria and Israel shall speedily be despoiled . . . it promptly occurred . The victorious Assyrians swept on into Judah and were stopped by direct intervention of God (37:36). Thus names of Isaiah’s sons embodied ideas of his daily preaching – Present deliverance, Coming captivity, and Future glory”.

Comment

Isaiah 9

What does the text say? – One day the people of Galilee who live in darkness will see a great light when a Child is born and God’s Son is given to the people (1st Coming), His Government will increase and have no end (2nd Coming) and His Name will be Called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace(Trinity). Because the people of Israel continue to ignore God they will be attacked by the Syrians and Philistines, and the Lord will have no mercy for them, but will still be angry because the people will not repent and turn to Him. He will destroy the leaders and false prophets who have misled the people, and those people left will starve.

Application? – Do I repent and turn to the Lord when I have displeased Him?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Most of Israel were carried away in 734 BC; but Samaria held out till 721 BC. These lines seem to belong to the 13 intervening years when the people who were left still persevered in their defiance of both God and the Assyrians.”

Comment

Isaiah 10

What does the text say? – God is angry with those who pass unfair laws that deprive the poor of justice, He will send disaster from a distant land and no one will help His people; they will either be prisoners or dead. God will use the Assyrians to express His anger against His people, but the king of Assyria won’t know he is just God’s tool, his plan is simply to destroy. After the Lord has used the king of Assyria to punish His people He will send a plague among the Assyrian army, He will be a fire and burn them up in a single night. At that time the remnant left in Israel will no longer depend on other people but will faithfully trust the Lord, the Holy One of Israel. Only a few of Jacob’s descendants will remain as the Lord has decided to destroy the land. The Lord says to His people “Do not be afraid when you are oppressed by the Assyrians, for in a little while I will destroy them” Then Lebanon will fall to the Mighty One.

Application? – Am I responsible for depriving anyone of justice? Do I depend on other people or on the Lord? Am I faithful to the Lord in every way?

Quote;-(Henry H. Halley) “This was written after the fall of Samaria . . .the cities named were just north of Jerusalem. God had used the Assyrians to punish Israel but here cautions them against over-estimating their power and Promises them a humiliating defeat. A year after he had destroyed Samaria Sargon invaded Judah (720 BC) Again (713 BC) he invaded Judah, Philistia, Edom and Moab. And again (701 BC) a vast army of Assyrians come into the land, at which time God made good His Promise, and dealt the Assyrians such a sudden and violent blow that they came no more against Jerusalem. (37:36)".

Comment

Isaiah 11+12

What does the text say? – From the descendants of David will come a Spirit-filled man. He will be filled with the Spirit of Wisdom and Understanding, the Spirit of Council and Might, the Spirit of Knowledge and fear of the Lord. He will delight in obeying the Lord. He will give Justice to the poor, and make fair decisions for the exploited. The earth will shake at the force of His Word, and one breath from His mouth will destroy the wicked. He will wear righteousness like a belt, and truth and faithfulness as His underclothes. In that day the wild carnivores will not attack other animals, but will eat herbage too and be led by a young child, and a baby will be safe by a cobra’s nest. Nothing will hurt or destroy, for the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord as the water cover the sea, and the Gentiles will seek Him. Then the remnant of the Lord’s people will come back to their home-land from all other nations. The jealousy between Israel and Judah will end and the Lord will make a highway for His people to come home. Then Isaiah sang a song praising the Lord for that time that will surely come.

Application? – Do I delight in obeying the Lord? Are my decisions fair and just? Am I know for my integrity? For many years now Jews have been returning to Israel from every nation. Will the peace between all forms of life be on earth or only in heaven?

Comment

Isaiah 13+14

What does the text say? – Concerning the destruction of Babylon – the Lord has dedicated soldiers who will rejoice when He is exalted by expressing His Anger by attacking Babylon. Vast armies will march against Babylon, will kill sinners and make the land desolate. The Lord will punish the world for it’s evil, crush the arrogance of the proud and humble the tyrants. People will be rarer than fine gold. Everyone will return to their own land, all those captured will be killed. Babylon will be devastated like Sodom and Gomorra, and will remain empty for many generations (or for ever). Only birds and animals will live there. The Lord will have mercy on His people and bring them back to their own land. Then Israel will rejoice over the destruction of the Babylonians. He will break the Assyrians in His land and trample them underfoot. No one can change the Lord’s plans. The year king Ahaz died Isaiah’s message was that the Philistines must not rejoice over Babylon’s demise as from that stock a more poisonous destroyer would come from the North, and destroy them.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) – In Isaiah’s time Babylon was a dependency of Assyria. Babylon rose to world power in 606 BC and fell 536 BC. Thus Isaiah sang of the fall of Babylon 100 years before it’s rise. . . the splendour to which Babylon rose 100 years after Isaiah’s day “the glory of kingdoms”(13:19), “the city of gold”(14:4) is as clearly envisioned as though Isaiah was there. . . . Medes, who in Isaiah’s day were an almost unknown people, are named as Babylon’s destroyer. (13:17-19); and Babylon shall pass away for ever (13:19-22, 14:22-23). For fulfilment of this prediction see 2 Kings 25. The fall of Babylon would mean the release of the captives (14:1-4). Within one year after Babylon fell, Cyrus, the Medo-Persian king issued a decree for the return of the Jews to their homeland (Ezra1:1).

Comment

Isaiah 15+16

What does the text say? – Isaiah’s message concerning Moab:- In one night the town of Ar and city of Kir will be destroyed then the people of Heshbon, Elealah, and as far as Jahaz will be afraid and flee, and the their brave warriors will be helpless with terror. Lions will hunt for the survivors – those who try to escape and those who remain. When their oppression and destruction has ended then God will put one of David’s descendants on the throne to rule with mercy and truth. Before all this happens the people of Moab will worship at their pagan shrines which will do them no good, for the Lord has decreed that within 3 years Moab will be defeated and only a few of it’s great population will be left alive.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Moab was a rolling plateaux of rich pasture lands lying east of the Dead Sea. Moabites were descendants of Lot (Gen. 19:17) . . . the cities named were pillaged by Tiglath-pileser (734 BC) by Sargon (713 BC) and by Sennacherib (701 BC) it is not indicated to which of these Isaiah refers. . . . The Moabites had a hand in the founding of the House of David in the person of Ruth.”

Comment

Isaiah 17+18

What does the text say?
                        – Isaiah prophesied that Damascus would become a heap of ruins and the towns of Aroer would be deserted. The fortified towns of Israel would also be destroyed, and the land would be deserted, with only a few people left. Only then would the people turn back to their Creator, instead of worshipping at pagan altars and the idols they had made. The finest vines may be planted, and the most expensive seeds sown but the harvest will only be grief and unrelieved pain. Those who seek to benefit from Israel’s distress will be destroyed. Ethiopia, that sends ambassadors down the Nile, who are feared because of their conquests and destruction, will be attacked by the Lord and their mighty army will perish. Then the Ethiopians will bring gifts to Jerusalem, where the Lord of Heaven’s armies dwells.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Ethiopia was South Egypt, whose powerful king at that time had sway all over Egypt. This is not a prophecy of doom; but seems to refer to the excitement and call to arms among the Ethiopians at the advance of Sennacherib’s army into Judah, whose fall would leave open the gateway for the Assyrian march into Egypt (1-3) the miraculous deliverance of Jerusalem (4-6; 37:36) and Ethiopia’s message of gratitude for the destruction of the Assyrian army (7, 2 Chronicles32:23).” (?)

Comment

Isaiah 20, 21 & 22

What does the text say? – At the time that the king of Assyria’s army commander fought against Ashod the Lord told Isaiah to walk barefoot and naked prophesying against Egypt and Ethiopia, which he did for 3 years, demonstrating that Assyria would conquer them and take them away barefoot and naked – then the Israelites would know those they relied on for help against the Assyrians could not help them. Isaiah’s prophesy against Babylon was that disaster was coming to them from the Negev to make an end to all the misery Babylon had caused; when they were feasting they would be attacked, conquered and their idols be destroyed. Isaiah prophesied against Edom and Arabia, then His message to the people of Jerusalem was that bodies of those who had died of famine and disease would be lying everywhere, their leaders would flee and the people be captured in a day of defeat, confusion and terror, yet no one asked the Lord for help. Long before this the Lord had told His people to repent of disregarding Him, but they did not, so He would never forgive them. The Lord told Isaiah to confront Shebna the palace administrator, and tell him he would not be buried in the expensive tomb he had prepared, as he would die far away and be replaced by Eliakim, Hilkiah’s son; doors he opened would not be shut, and doors he shut would not be opened, but one day he would fall too.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Isaiah’s warning (713 BC) of their defeat and captivity, was intended to discourage Judah from looking to Egypt for aid against Assyria. The prediction was fulfilled 12 years later (701 BC). . . Babylon, surrounded by a vast system of dykes and canals was like a city in the sea. . . Jerusalem is rebuked for reckless indulgence while besieged by the Assyrian army, their defence (9-11; 2 Chronicles 32:3-5) included everything except turning to God. . . In the elevation of Eliakim to office may be hints of Messianic implication.

Comment

Isaiah 19

What does the text say? – The prophecy concerning Egypt. The Lord will make the Egyptians fight each other, He will confuse their plans, none of their idols, mediums and spirits will not help them. Egypt will be handed over to a cruel nation. The Nile will not flood but dry up – there will be no flax or fish. Pharaoh will receive unwise counsel and his officials will be deluded fools because the Lord has sent a spirit of foolishness on them. The Egyptians will cower with fear beneath the fist of the Lord of Heaven’s armies. At that time 5 Egyptian cities will follow the Lord and even begin to speak Hebrew. At that time there will be an altar to the Lord in the heart of Egypt and a monument to Him at it’s border. When the people cry out to the Lord He will send them a Saviour. In that day Egypt and Assyria will both worship God and Israel will be their ally and be a blessing to them and the Lord will claim all 3 of them.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Shortly after Isaiah’s death Esar-haddon subdued Egypt and split it into a number of petty governments, whose main duty was to ‘slay, plunder and spoil’ their subjects. The decline and disintegration of Egypt came to pass (Jer. 46; Ezekiel 29). . . After the Captivity many Jews remained in the Euphrates valley, and great numbers of them settled in Egypt, Alexandria was predominantly a Jewish city. There the Septuagint translation of the Old Testament was made. At Heliopalis, city of ‘the sun’, a temple modelled after that in Jerusalem was erected (149 BC), a centre of worship for both Egyptians and Jews. At the time of Christ’s appearance the Hebrew nation was composed of 3 main sections, with connecting highways – Palestinian, Egyptian and Mesopotamian – making Egypt a sort of three-fold nation. These regions were among the first to accept Christianity. Thus this chapter is a very accurate pre-charting of . . .Israel’s history for the following 600 years.

Comment

Isaiah 23,24 &25

What does the text say? – Isaiah prophesies that Tyre will be destroyed, including the ships of Tarshish and the land will be left virtually uninhabited for 70 years, but the people will still not return to the Lord. The money made in the future will be given to the Lord’s people. The whole earth will suffer for the Sins of it’s people, for they have twisted God’s instructions, violated His Laws and broken His Everlasting Covenant. Only a few people will be left but they will worship the Lord and Glorify Him singing His praises, and He will rule. Isaiah says he will praise and honour God’s Name for He has all Power and is a tower of Strength to the poor, and a tower of Refuge to those in distress. The Lord God will swallow death, wipe away all tears, and stop His people being insulted and mocked, then they will rejoice in His Salvation and His Blessing will be on Jerusalem.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Tyre had been for centuries the maritime centre of the world’s commerce. . . it’s overthrow, depression for 70 years and restoration are here predicted.
                              This Vision (24) seems to relate to the same period that Jesus spoke of in Matthew 24. It delineates the fearful calamities under which the earth, with it’s castes, occupations, and social distinctions, shall pass away.
                              Isaiah saw . . beyond the crash of the world, into the age of the new heavens and new earth, and put into the mouth of the Redeemed a song of praise to God for His wonderful works. Most wonderful of all is the destruction of Death . . . this cannot refer to anything else than the Resurrection of Jesus from the dead, and brought to mankind the guarantee of Eternal Life.”

Comment

Working...
                              X