Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Daily Bible Study - Exodus

Exodus 1

- (from the book heading in my NKJV) this book begins with ''now'' to show it is the continuation of Genesis. 'Exodus' means 'departure', in Luke 9:31 it is used of Jesus' death. Exodus' theme is redemption - which is only accomplished through death. His people's situation in Egypt mirrors the spiritual condition of the human race. ie all humanity is enslaved to Sin; only the Power of God could ensure Israel's release, as only His Power can break Sin's hold on us and make us truly free.

What did I learn of God? - He ensured the birth, and growth, of the nation He had chosen was recorded. He ensured they were in a land (Egypt) where their population could increase sufficiently to inhabit the land He would give them. He let them be ill-treated to such an extent that they'd be pleased to leave the place they thought of as home. He may allow apparent disaster to come on His people today so they are willing to go to where they will be able to experience His Blessing.

What did I learn of myself? - God knows who I am, and who my ancestors were. He knows what difficulties I have faced, and will face, and He will enable me to Glorify Him through each one. Is God using difficulties I encounter to encourage me to do things I would not otherwise do? Am I intent on pleasing God in all I do? Do I stand up for the Jews, and the sanctity of life, even when those I associate with denigrate them?

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom in bringing His Purposes to pass.

What did I pray for? - To trust Him in-spite of all difficulties, to be working circumstances toward my ultimate good.

What does this say in one sentence? - Israel's suffering in Egypt.

Re: My Daily Bible Study - Exodus

Exodus 2

What did I learn of God? – He puts His desires in the hearts of those determined to please Him. He ensures His people receive the necessary training they will need to fulfill tasks He will give them. He is prepared to wait many years to accomplish His Purposes if necessary. He has foreknowledge and foresight.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I follow the Lord's directions, human instinct, or Satan's suggestions? Am I willing to give something precious to others to prevent it being destroyed? Are my priorities shaped by financial status, education, or God? Do I gratefully accept pleasures the Lord gives? The Lord ensures I am in the right place, with the necessary training, at the right time to fulfill His present purpose for me.

What did I praise God for? - His Foreknowledge and Patience.

What did I pray for? - To willingly accept the training God provides to enable me to fulfill His Purposes, and offer gratitude for His Blessings.

What does this say in one sentence? - Moses birth, early and mid life.

Comment

Exodus 3

What did I learn of God? - He meets with His people wherever they are. He knows what will get the attention of the person He intends to speak to. He is, was, and always will be God. He knows and understands each of His people's difficulties. He is leading me to a place of plenty - but I may have to fight for it, under God's direction. He had chosen Moses 80years previously for the task He was giving him - which is why He'd encouraged Moses’ mother to keep him hidden, then to put him where the princess would find him; He'd encouraged the princess to adopt Moses, so that he would be well educated and, 80years later would have access to
      Pharaoh. . . God has laid His plans for my life just as carefully. He ensures His people have sufficient of this world's goods to fulfill His Purposes for them.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I wait for God to direct me? or get tired of waiting for Him, and make a mess of things? Do I trust Him in all things? I will never be too old for God to use me to Glorify Him - if I do everything His Way. Am I so used to conversing with God, and obeying Him, that I will do whatever He tells me to? Moses spent 40years being 'somebody' then 40years learning to be 'nobody' before God could rely on Him sufficiently to use him in an amazing way - have I fully learned to be 'nobody' yet? Is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob my God? I have, at this moment, all of this world's goods that I currently need. Do I acknowledge my weaknesses? Do I realize that I will make a mess of what I do for God, and that only by allowing Him to work through me His Way will anything of value be achieved. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is with me too. Am I willing to continue learning all He wants to teach me? Are all the things God enables me to learn to enable me to do things for Him one day, or so that I can teach others?

What did I praise God for? - Preparing me for the tasks He intended/intends me to do.

What did I pray for? - To realize that God's Timing is crucial for fulfilling His Purposes.

What does this say in one sentence? - Moses and the burning bush.

Quote (Florence Nightingale)''If I could give you information on my life it would be to show how a woman of very ordinary ability has been led by God in strange and unaccustomed paths to do, in His service, what He has done in her. And if I could tell you all, you would see how God has done all and I nothing. I have worked hard, very hard, that is all; and I have never refused God anything.''

Comment

Exodus 4

What did I learn of God? - He is able to work miracles through those who trust Him. He is not pleased, and may become angry, with excuses for disobedience.. He would not use Moses to lead His people until his disobedience was rectified. He made clear that only through obedience and blood will we be Saved. He warns of difficulties to come. He doesn't remove all obstacles for His people, but allows difficulties to encourage them to grow spiritually.

What did I learn of myself? - What I may consider ‘good reasons' why I can't do the Lord's Will He regards as excuses and disobedience. He will open the Way for me to do His Will. He is able to perform miracles through me when I'm 100% obedient to Him. I am Saved by the Blood of Jesus. God is able to use what I already have (eg. stick, hand, water) to convince others He is 'real'. God will be with me in spite of obstacles (like pain, difficulties and tragedies) and may not remove them. Have I fulfilled, and continue to fulfill, all I must do to enjoy Salvation? Does my faith in God persist in spite of difficulties?

What did I praise God for? - The Miracles of Salvation and Freedom through Christ.

What did I pray for? - To be 100% obedient to Him, in spite of any reservations I may have.

What does this say in one sentence? - God enabled Moses to do some miraculous signs to show Pharaoh to prove He was with the Israelites.

Comment

Exodus 5 + 6

I]What did I learn of God?[/I] - His Ways may sometimes seem hard to His people - but are never without a beneficial purpose. He is the Lord. He is always mindful of Covenants He has made with His people. He knows who all His people are, and their ancestry.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I trust the Lord, without question? even when doing so brings pain instead of pleasure? God hears my prayers. What God Promises me may not happen immediately, or in the way I'd prefer. The Lord knows all about me. When my expectations turn sour, do I remember Ps.37:7 and 'wait patiently for Him'?

What did I praise God for? - His Wisdom.

What did I pray for? - Greater understanding of His Ways, and willingness to obey Him and wait for Him to act on my behalf.

What does this say in one sentence? - The Lord assured Moses of Salvation.

Comment

Exodus 7

What did I learn of God? - He speaks to those who will listen to Him. He allows those opposed to Him to disregard Him - but only to fulfill His greater Purposes more effectively. He expects His people to continue to obey Him, and to persevere through discouragements. When demonstrating His Power to unbelievers He sometimes allows His people to suffer too. (eg. all water in Egypt turned to blood).

What did I learn of myself? - Do I always obey the Lord, even if what He tells me to do seems totally unreasonable? Do I realize I may suffer too when His Power is demonstrated to those who don't acknowledge Him? If I encounter difficulties when obeying the Lord, do I assume I'd made a mistake and He hadn't really spoken to me, go on trusting Him r egardless, or do I ask for confirmation or rejection of my course of action?

What did I praise God for? - His Power over 'nature'.

What did I pray for? - To always accurately discern His Voice; to trust Him to fulfill His Promises to me; and that I never doubt His clear Voice.

What does this say in one sentence? - God made Aaron's snake eat the magician's snakes, turned all the water in Egypt to blood, and the fish died.

Quote:- (L.O.Richards)''God did not harden Pharaoh's heart against Pharaoh's will. If Pharaoh's heart had been like wax instead of like clay, it would have softened rather than hardened when God revealed His Power more fully''.(the way the sun hardens clay but melts wax)
            ''If our hearts are like wax we will respond to God as He speaks to us. If our hearts are like clay. . . the more God speaks to us the harder we will become, until He is forced to break us''.

Comment

Exodus 8

What did I learn of God? - He repeats what He has said until He is obeyed. He may multiply 'good' things until they become very bad (eg.frogs) if He is not obeyed. He is not taken in by false promises. He sometimes allows His servants to choose the timing of the demonstrations of His Power. Though demons have power God's Powers are far superior. He is able to choose precisely where ''natural'' disasters will happen - to make plain His Power to protect His people and harm evil-doers.

What did I learn of myself? - If I don't obey God's specific instructions at once He will require me to do it at some time in the future. He will ensure that what I idolize will overpower me. Do I always recognize the 'finger of God'(acts of God) in my life? Some folk who ask me to pray for them, like Pharaoh, will return to their Sin as soon as God gives them relief from what afflicts them.

What did I praise God for? - The many opportunities He gives folk to obey Him before making them really suffer.

What did I pray for? - To obey God immediately, and keep my promises to Him.

What does this say in one sentence? - God demonstrated His Power over Hept, the Egyptian god of birth whose symbolic frogs became stinking heaps of death; and by ensuring only the Egyptians suffered from some of the plague He sent.

Comment

Exodus 9+10

What did I learn of God? – He warns of His Judgments to allow those who trust Him to escape them. No one will ever win a battle with Him, unless He allows it to fulfill His Purposes. He is Gracious to all who respect His Word.

What did I learn of myself? – If I do not trust the Lord ‘today’ I may well suffer a catastrophe ‘tomorrow’. Others can see what is in my heart by what I do.

What did I praise God for? – His Persistence.

What did I pray for? – That He will soften my heart.

What does this say in one sentence? – The 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th plagues – Anthrax, Boils, Hail, Locusts and Darkness.

Comment

Exodus 11

What did I learn of God? – He never fails to accomplish His Purposes. He knew that progressively worsening situations for the Egyptians ensured that the Israelites would not only be set free, but would be given much wealth too.

What did I learn of myself? – Do I accept all the benefits the Lord offers me? or do I refuse to accept His Blessings from those who refuse to acknowledge Jesus Christ as Lord? Do I continue to trust the Lord 100% even after many disappointments? I would be wise to surrender to God’s Discipline immediately, or worse may follow.

What did I praise God for? – His Wisdom.

What did I pray for? –That my faith in Him and His Love never wavers.

What does this say in one sentence? – Moses told Pharaoh all the 1st born of the Egyptians and their livestock would die, and told the Israelites to ask their Egyptian neighbours for articles of gold and silver.

Quote:- (C.S.Lewis) “You will hear men say that people ‘in olden times’ believed in miracles ’because they didn‘t know the laws of Nature’ A moment’s thought shows this to be nonsense. If events were not known to be contrary to the Laws of Nature how could they suggest the presence of the supernatural? How could they be surprising unless they were seen to be exceptions to the rules? And how can anything be seen to be an exception till the rules are known? . . . Belief in miracles, far from depending on ignorance of the laws of Nature, is only possible if those Laws are known.”
                  [/SIZE]

Comment

Exodus 12 (1446BC)

What did I learn of God? – When He gives detailed Instructions He expects all of them to be carried out. He keeps His Word. He said only His people by birth or conversion could eat the Passover meal.

What did I learn of myself? – Jesus is my ‘Passover Lamb’, His Blood frees me from the power of Sin and Death. Do I always do precisely what He tells me to do? Do I note every small detail? Do I go where, and when, He tells me? Do I frequently thank Him for His Salvation?

What did I praise God for? – His Guidance.

What did I pray for? – To always be motivated to do His Will, His Way without deviating the smallest amount.

What does this say in one sentence? – The Passover regulations, the 10th plague (death of 1st born) and Exodus.

Comment

Exodus 13

What did I learn of God? – He has great Power. He requires His people to frequently remember His Power (for their own protection). After He releases His people from slavery He, deliberately, leads them a long and difficult route giving them time to adjust to Freedom, so preventing them returning to slavery at the first battle. He is with His people day and night. Those He Saves belong to Him, and are obligated to obey Him.

What did I learn of myself? – As my Freedom was bought by Jesus Christ’s Blood I am obligated to give up my desires to please Him. (I must not be tempted to assume that if I please God He is obligated to please me). God’s requirements for me, His adopted child, are to trust Him completely – and true repentance if I do not act in accordance with His Word. God may not lead me in the direct route to fulfill His main Purpose for me, but every detour He leads me on will have a purpose. Being with God, day and night, is more important than arriving at the end of the journey.

What did I praise God for? – His willingness to lead me the most beneficial way to my Promised Land.

What did I pray for? – To be aware when I am not about to act in total obedience to Him.

What does this say in one sentence? – The Lord didn’t lead His people by the most direct route, He said they must always hold a Passover feast in Abib to remind future generations of His Power and He claimed all future 1st born.

Comment

Exodus 14

What did I learn of God?- He may lead His people to apparent disaster, but only to encourage them trust Him, and to demonstrate His Power, as He destroys all that would harm them. He fights on behalf of His people. He performs amazing miracles. What He does may give 'light'(understanding) to His people, and 'darkness'(confusion) to their enemies. He may remove the 'sea' of an impossible situation, and then expect His people to walk through an area of possible catastrophe to receive His Promise. What gives Freedom to His people may annihilate their enemies.

What did I learn of myself? - Only my total obedience to God will suffice. I have no need to hear anything more from God if I am doing precisely what He tells me, for His Purposes will be accomplished. If He tells me to say nothing, He will fight for me if I obey Him 100%. When God intends to accomplish great things all He requires of me is apparently very little. The understanding God gives me may totally confuse those opposed to Him. I must trust the Lord in the midst of apparently certain disaster, or I will not gain all He wants to give me.

What did I praise God for? - Being my 'pillar of cloud and fire'.

What did I pray for? - An undivided heart 100% faithful to Him.

What does this say in one sentence? - Crossing the Red Sea.

Note:- For those totally obedient to the Lord (Ex.14:14) “The Lord will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace.”

Comment

Exodus 15

What did I learn of God? - He always triumphs. He is the Strength and Saviour of those who worship Him. He is Glorious in Holiness. He has no equal. He wants His people to diligently heed all He says - for their own benefit.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I sing, and listen to, songs celebrating Who the Lord is, what He has done and will do? - or do I sing and listen to ungodly songs? Is the Lord my Strength? Has He become my Saviour? Is He my God? Do I always obey Him? Do I trust Him to fight my battles? Do I fight with Him, under His direction, or ignore Him and fight my battles my own way? Do I always allow the Lord to lead me? Do I submit myself to Him 100%. If I am totally obedient to the Lord He is my Healer. I will encounter problems in my life with Him.

What did I praise God for? - Being my Saviour.

What did I pray for? - To be nagged, if necessary, into total obedience to Him.

What does this say in one sentence? - Songs of Moses and Miriam, also the Lord showing Moses how to make the water fit to drink.

Quote :- (William Law)''If anyone would tell you the shortest, surest way to all happiness and all perfection, he must tell you to make a rule to yourself to thank and praise God for everything that happens to you. It is certain that whatever seeming calamity happens to you, if you thank and praise God for it, you turn it into a Blessing. If you could work miracles, therefore, you could not do more for yourself than by this thankful spirit. It heals and turns all it touches into happiness.''

Comment

Exodus 16

What did I learn of God? - He provides what His people need and ask for (meat and bread). He enables His people to see their own un-trustworthiness. His Provision is on a daily basis - (not in a big lump to last my entire life).

What did I learn of myself? - Do I complain about the Lord’s Provision for me? I would be wise to realize that I will enjoy (or otherwise) what I ask Him for, for the time He determines, which may be a very long time. Am I content with His present Provision for me? Do I keep one day each week specifically to worship the Lord? or do I let ‘secular’ things take over? Do I keep reminders of the Lord’s Goodness to me? Do I praise Him for the provision of my needs (not necessarily wants)? Do I realize that I may have to work for what the Lord Provides? Do I depend on the Lord for my needs each day?

What did I praise God for? – His Provision.

What did I pray for? – An endlessly grateful spirit.

What does this say in one sentence? - The Lord’s provision of Manna.

Query:- Could my present problems be in answer to one of my prayers in the past?

Comment

Exodus 17

What did I learn of God? – The Way He tells His people to go may involve difficulties that can be removed by His Power alone – so they learn to depend, totally, on Him. Sometimes He doesn’t give us all we need unless we ask Him for it, while believing He will Provide. He regards his people’s hands raised to Him as prayer and worship.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I surprised when I meet discouragements when following the Lord’s directions? Do I continue to trust Him expecting to learn more of His Power? When tempted to doubt Him, do I remind myself of the good things He has done, and is doing, for me or do I focus on the problems? Do I pray for, and otherwise support, those unable to fulfill their God appointed tasks without help?

What did I praise God for? – His limitless Power.

What did I pray for? – To trust Him to ensure I benefit somehow from each ‘impossible’ situation.

What does this say in one sentence? – The Lord produced water from a rock, and enabled the Israelites to win the battle against the Amalekites, while Moses hands were raised.

Comment

Working...
                              X