• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Bible Study on the book of Joshua

My bible study – The book of Joshua

Introduction to the book of Joshua

The book of Joshua begins after the death of Moses
    . Joshua was chosen by God to lead Israel into the promised land [Deut 1:38; Deut 3:28] of Canaan.

God had made a promise to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob that their descendants would inherit land through a promise. The promised land was not Egypt, although the descendants of Jacob lived in the land for 430 years. The promised land was Canaan.

God chose Canaan for the descendants of Abraham, for it was the most beautiful of all lands and God wanted the best for his people.

(Ezek 20:6 NIV) On that day I swore to them that I would bring them out of Egypt into a land I had searched out
    for them, a land flowing with milk and honey, the most beautiful of all lands.

Joshua the son of Nun was one of Moses servants and served in the tabernacle (Ex 33:11).

Moses laid hands on Joshua before he died and Joshua was fill with a spirit of wisdom (Deut 34:9).

Joshua fought against the Amalekite’s (Ex 17:9-14). He was Moses aide (Minister – Ex 24:13).

Joshua was one of the 12 leaders of Israel, sent to explore the land of Canaan. One leader from each tribe of
    Israel was sent to explore the land (Nu 13:3-16).

(Num 13:3 KJV) And Moses by the commandment of the LORD sent them from the wilderness of Paran: all those men were heads of the children of Israel.

(Num 13:4 KJV) And these were their names: of the tribe of Reuben, Shammua the son of Zaccur.

(Num 13:5 KJV) Of the tribe of Simeon, Shaphat the son of Hori.
    (Num 13:6 KJV) Of the tribe of Judah, Caleb the son of Jephunneh.
    (Num 13:7 KJV) Of the tribe of Issachar, Igal the son of Joseph.
    (Num 13:8 KJV) Of the tribe of Ephraim, Oshea the son of Nun.
    (Num 13:9 KJV) Of the tribe of Benjamin, Palti the son of Raphu.
    (Num 13:10 KJV) Of the tribe of Zebulun, Gaddiel the son of Sodi.
    (Num 13:11 KJV) Of the tribe of Joseph, namely, of the tribe of Manasseh, Gaddi the son of Susi.
    (Num 13:12 KJV) Of the tribe of Dan, Ammiel the son of Gemalli.
    (Num 13:13 KJV) Of the tribe of Asher, Sethur the son of Michael.
    (Num 13:14 KJV) Of the tribe of Naphtali, Nahbi the son of Vophsi.
    (Num 13:15 KJV) Of the tribe of Gad, Geuel the son of Machi.
    (Num 13:16 KJV) These are the names of the men which Moses sent to spy out the land. And Moses called Oshea the son of Nun Jehoshua.

The 12 spies report

After spying out the land, the 12 leaders of Israel came back to Moses and Aaron to give their report (Num 13:26-28).

(Num 13:26 KJV) And they went and came to Moses, and to Aaron, and to all the congregation of the children of Israel, unto the wilderness of Paran, to Kadesh; and brought back word unto them, and unto all the congregation, and showed them the fruit of the land.

(Num 13:27 KJV) And they told him, and said, We came unto the land whither thou sentest us, and surely it floweth with milk and honey; and this is the fruit of it.

(Num 13:28 KJV) Nevertheless the people be strong that dwell in the land, and the cities are walled, and very great: and moreover we saw the children of Anak there.

The sons of Anak, were Giants (Num 13:33) and 10 of the leaders gave a bad report, because the size of the people who inhabited the land were Giants, compared to them.

Reasons and consequences of Why the report was bad?

*** Unbelief and Rebellion against God ***

They believed that God had not brought them out of Egypt to go into a promised land as God had promised, but to be killed by the sword and being defeated by a people who were larger [Giants] then them in size.

(Num 14:3 KJV) And wherefore hath the LORD brought us unto this land, to fall by the sword, that our wives and our children should be a prey? were it not better for us to return into Egypt?

*** Murmured ***

The people murmured against Moses and against Aaron. These were Gods chosen leaders, who God had appointed to help lead them out of Egypt and into the promised land. By the signs done in Egypt, and the miracles don while journeying through the desert, they still did not believe that God would fulfil the promise given. The promised land, which the spies had seen was a good land.

Murmured H3885. luwn, loon; or liyn, leen; a prim. root; to stop (usually over night); by impl. to stay permanently; hence (in a bad sense) to be obstinate (espec. in words, to complain):--abide (all night), continue, dwell, endure, grudge, be left, lie all night, (cause to) lodge (all night, in, -ing, this night), (make to) murmur, remain, tarry (all night, that night).

(Num 14:1 KJV) And all the congregation lifted up their voice, and cried; and the people wept that night.

(Num 14:2 KJV) And all the children of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron: and the whole congregation said unto them, Would God that we had died in the land of Egypt! or would God we had died in this wilderness!

*** Rebellion ***

The people within Israel did not trust in Gods Promise or Gods appointed leaders.

They did not believe the will of God was for them to go forward into the promised land.

They trusted in their own strength and understanding. They could not see any way which God could defeat the Giants, living in the land of Canaan (Although God had delivered them from slavery and bondage in Egypt).

They wanted to appoint their own leaders [chosen and appointed by man] – to lead them back to captivity, rather than have faith and trust in the Godly leaders that the LORD God had appointed to lead them forward into the promised land [A type of backsliding - Turning back and away from Gods promise and will for thier lives and disobeying God].

The people of Israel wanted to go back into slavery and bondage in Egypt. They wanted to become slaves again to the Egyptians who treated them harshly and be under the influence of the False Gods of Egypt [Demons].

By wanting this they were rebelling against the will of the LORD God [Num 14:9] and the promise of God for them [Exodus 33:1].

(Num 14:4 KJV) And they said one to another, Let us make a captain, and let us return into Egypt.

*** The punishment for Disobedience***

Becuase of Israel’s unbelief, grumbling and rebellion against God, Gods appointed leaders, Gods will and promise, Judgment came. The generation of men that came out of Egypt, 20 years old and above would not be able to enter into the promised land.

They were to wander in the desert for 40 years until they died, because of their unbelief, rebellion and sin against God and his leadership and God’s promise.

(Num 32:10 KJV) And the LORD'S anger was kindled the same time, and he sware, saying,

(Num 32:11 KJV) Surely none of the men that came up out of Egypt, from twenty years old and upward, shall see the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob; because they have not wholly followed me:

(Num 32:12 KJV) Save Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite, and Joshua the son of Nun: for they have wholly followed the LORD.

(Num 32:13 KJV) And the LORD'S anger was kindled against Israel, and he made them wander in the wilderness forty years, until all the generation, that had done evil in the sight of the LORD, was consumed.

*** Even Moses was not allowed to enter because of his dis-obedience. ***

And the LORD was angry with Moses for his disobedience, so he could not enter into the promised land either [Number 20:8-12].

The LORD God told Moses to speak unto the Rock for water to come out; but Moses disobeyed and struck the Rock twice with his Rod.

(Num 20:8 KJV) Take the rod, and gather thou the assembly together, thou, and Aaron thy brother, and speak ye unto the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water, and thou shalt bring forth to them water out of the rock: so thou shalt give the congregation and their beasts drink.

(Num 20:9 KJV) And Moses took the rod from before the LORD, as he commanded him.

(Num 20:10 KJV) And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock?

(Num 20:11 KJV) And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also.

(Num 20:12 KJV) And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.

*** The two leaders who gave a good report ***

Through faith, only Joshua and Caleb gaver a good report of the promised land (Nu 14:6; Nu 25:65).

They were allowed to enter into the promised land, because they had faith and had bought a good report and did not discourage Israel not to enter into the land.

God had promised to Israel and into Gods promise (Nu 14:30; Num 32:12; Deut 1:35=37).

(Num 32:12 KJV) Save Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite, and Joshua the son of Nun: for they have wholly followed the LORD.

Joshua was from the tribe of Judah of and Caleb the tribe of Ephraim.

Note: The tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh were the descendants of the two sons of Joseph.

*** The Divided Kingdom ***

Due to Solomon’s sin, 10 tribes of Israel would be torn from Solomon and given to his servant Jeroboam. But for the sake of David, this would not happen during Solomon’s reign as king, but during the reign of Solomon’s son Rehoboam [1 Ki 11:9-13].

As 10 tribes of Israel were given over to Jeroboam and were eventually exiled. [1 Ki 11:3132; 1 Ki 11:34-41].
    Judah remained under King Rehoboam of Judah, Solomon’s son.

(1 Ki 12:20 KJV) And it came to pass, when all Israel heard that Jeroboam was come again, that they sent and called him unto the congregation, and made him king over all Israel: there was none that followed the house of David, but the tribe of Judah only.

*** The restoration ***

Judah also went into exile in Babylon, but were restored to Jerusalem.

Only the tribe of Judah and the household of Joseph were restored back to Jerusalem after Exile in Babylon.

(Zec 10:6 NIV) "I will strengthen the house of Judah and save the house of Joseph. I will restore them because I have compassion on them. They will be as though I had not rejected them, for I am the LORD their God and I will answer them.

Note: It was the leaders of the tribe of Judah [Joshua] and the leader from the tribe of Ephraim [Oshea] who gave a good report after spying out the land of Canaan. (Nu 13:30; Nu 14:6-9; Num 14:30; Num 32:12; Deut 1:35=37).

Ephraim was the descendant of one of the sons of Joseph.

So the two tribes that gave a good report before entering into the promised land of Cannan, were able to enter in. Joshua [The leader of Judah] and Caleb [The leader of Ephraim / Josephs’s son and descendants]did not die in the desert.

After Israel was released from captivity and Exile in Babylon, it was the tribe of Judah and Joseph’s descendants that returned to Jerusalem. The two tribes that gave a good report, before entering into Canaan [The promised land].

(Zec 10:6 NIV) "I will strengthen the house of Judah and save the house of Joseph. I will restore them because I have compassion on them. They will be as though I had not rejected them, for I am the LORD their God and I will answer them.

The 10 tribes of Israel, under Jeroboam had already been taken captive and exiled to Assyria
    (2 Ki 18:10-12).

(2 Ki 18:10 KJV) And at the end of three years they took it: even in the sixth year of Hezekiah, that is the ninth year of Hoshea king of Israel, Samaria was taken.

(2 Ki 18:11 KJV) And the king of Assyria did carry away Israel unto Assyria, and put them in Halah and in Habor by the river of Gozan, and in the cities of the Medes:

(2 Ki 18:12 KJV) Because they obeyed not the voice of the LORD their God, but transgressed his covenant, and all that Moses the servant of the LORD commanded, and would not hear them, nor do them.

Summary: The start to the End.

The book of Joshua is the start of the journey to inhabit the land of Cannan, the promised land. Israel would possess the land, then go through a period of Judges and Kings. After King David, his son Solomon did good in the eyes of the LORD God, then later committed so much evil that the LORD God tore the kingdom out of his hands, but not during his lifetime.

He gave 10 tribes of Israel to a servant, Jerboboam and the tribe of Manasseh followed Rheoboam, (Solomon’s son). Under the divided kingdom, both Israel and Judah turned from the LORD God and worshiped the false Gods of the nations around them and worshiped them.

There were some attempts to turn back to the LORD, but the generations after turned again to False Gods again. Israel [under the divided kingdom of Jeroboam and his descendants] were the first to be taken captive by the Assyrians. Judah followed being taken captive and exiled to Babylon for a short time, before being restored to Jerusalem, for the sake of David.
    Last edited by chad; Aug 8th 2017, 10:44 AM.

Re: My Bible Study on the book of Joshua

Joshua Chapter 1

(Josh 1:1 KJV) Now after the death of Moses the servant of the LORD it came to pass, that the LORD spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying,

Minister H8334. sharath, shaw-rath'; a prim. root; to attend as a menial or worshipper; fig. to contribute to:--minister (unto), (do) serve (-ant, -ice, -itor), wait on.

(Josh 1:2 KJV) Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, even to the children of Israel.

(Josh 1:3 KJV) Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses.

(Josh 1:4 KJV) From the wilderness and this Lebanon even unto the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and unto the great sea toward the going down of the sun, shall be your coast.

(Josh 1:5 KJV) There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

The LORD Gods word to Joshua, that God would be with him as he was with Moses. God will not fail or forsake thee.

(Josh 1:6 KJV) Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them.

(Josh 1:7 KJV) Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.

God commanded Joshua to do according to the Law which Moses had given, so they may prosper wherever they go.

Courageous H553. 'amats, aw-mats'; a prim. root; to be alert, phys. (on foot) or ment. (in courage):--confirm, be courageous (of good courage, stedfastly minded, strong, stronger), establish, fortify, harden, increase, prevail, strengthen (self), make strong (obstinate, speed).

Observe H8104. shamar, shaw-mar'; a prim. root; prop. to hedge about (as with thorns), i.e. guard; gen. to protect, attend to, etc.:--beware, be circumspect, take heed (to self), keep (-er, self), mark, look narrowly, observe, preserve, regard, reserve, save (self), sure, (that lay) wait (for), watch (-man).

(Josh 1:8 KJV) This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

If Israel kept the law, they would be prosperous and have good success.

Prosperous H6743. tsalach, tsaw-lakh'; or tsa-leach, tsaw-lay'-akh; a prim. root; to push forward, in various senses (lit. or fig., trans. or intrans.):--break out, come (mightily), go over, be good, be meet, be profitable, (cause to, effect, make to, send) prosper (-ity, -ous, -ously).

Success H7919. sakal, saw-kal'; a prim. root; to be (caus. make or act) circumspect and hence intelligent:--consider, expert, instruct, prosper, (deal) prudent (-ly), (give) skill (-ful), have good success, teach, (have, make to) understand (-ing), wisdom, (be, behave self, consider, make) wise (-ly), guide wittingly.

(Josh 1:9 KJV) Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

(Josh 1:10 KJV) Then Joshua commanded the officers of the people, saying,

(Josh 1:11 KJV) Pass through the host, and command the people, saying, Prepare you victuals; for within three days ye shall pass over this Jordan, to go in to possess the land, which the LORD your God giveth you to possess it.

Hosts H4264. machaneh, makh-an-eh'; from H2583; an encampment (of travellers or troops); hence an army, whether lit. (of soldiers) or fig. (of dancers, angels, cattle, locusts, stars; or even the sacred courts):--army, band, battle, camp, company, drove, host, tents.

Victuals H6720. tseydah, tsay-daw'; or tse-dah, tsay-daw'; fem. of H6718; food:--meat, provision, venison, victuals.
    (Josh 1:12 KJV) And to the Reubenites, and to the Gadites, and to half the tribe of Manasseh, spake Joshua, saying,

The tribes of Reuben, Gad and the half tribe of Manasseh were given the land on the side of the Border not in Canaan for possession as they had asked.

(Josh 1:13 KJV) Remember the word which Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, saying, The LORD your God hath given you rest, and hath given you this land.

(Josh 1:14 KJV) Your wives, your little ones, and your cattle, shall remain in the land which Moses gave you on this side Jordan; but ye shall pass before your brethren armed, all the mighty men of valour, and help them;

Valour G 2428. chayil, khah'-yil; from H2342; prob. a force, whether of men, means or other resources; an army, wealth, virtue, valor, strength:--able, activity, (+) army, band of men (soldiers), company, (great) forces, goods, host, might, power, riches, strength, strong, substance, train, (+) valiant (-ly), valour, virtuous (-ly), war, worthy (-ily).

(Josh 1:15 KJV) Until the LORD have given your brethren rest, as he hath given you, and they also have possessed the land which the LORD your God giveth them: then ye shall return unto the land of your possession, and enjoy it, which Moses the LORD'S servant gave you on this side Jordan toward the sunrising.

(Josh 1:16 KJV) And they answered Joshua, saying, All that thou commandest us we will do, and whithersoever thou sendest us, we will go.

(Josh 1:17 KJV) According as we hearkened unto Moses in all things, so will we hearken unto thee: only the LORD thy God be with thee, as he was with Moses.

(Josh 1:18 KJV) Whosoever he be that doth rebel against thy commandment, and will not hearken unto thy words in all that thou commandest him, he shall be put to death: only be strong and of a good courage.

Comment

Joshua Chapter 2

(Josh 2:1 KJV) And Joshua the son of Nun sent out of ****tim two men to spy secretly, saying, Go view the land, even Jericho.

And they went, and came into an harlot's house, named Rahab, and lodged there.

****tim H7851. ****tiym, ****-teem'; the same as the plur. of H7848; acacia trees; ****tim, a place E. of the Jordan:--****tim.

Harlot 2181. zanah, zaw-naw'; a prim. root [highly fed and therefore wanton]; to commit adultery (usually of the female, and less often of simple fornication, rarely of involuntary ravishment); fig. to commit idolatry (the Jewish people being regarded as the spouse of Jehovah):--(cause to) commit fornication, X continually, X great, (be an, play the) harlot, (cause to be, play the) whore, (commit, fall to) whoredom, (cause to) go a-whoring, whorish.

Two men to spy. Two tribes believed and gave a good report. Joshua sent out two men to spy secretly. (Maybe the two spies sent out to spy the land is coincidental to two tribes who gave a good report)?

(Josh 2:2 KJV) And it was told the king of Jericho, saying, Behold, there came men in hither to night of the children of Israel to search out the country.

The spies were seen and reported to the King of Jericho. At this time, Israel had no Kings, but the Heathen (Gentile) nations did.

(Josh 2:3 KJV) And the king of Jericho sent unto Rahab, saying, Bring forth the men that are come to thee, which are entered into thine house: for they be come to search out all the country.

(Josh 2:4 KJV) And the woman took the two men, and hid them, and said thus, There came men unto me, but I wist not whence they were:

Rahab hid the two spies.

(Josh 2:5 KJV) And it came to pass about the time of shutting of the gate, when it was dark, that the men went out: whither the men went I wot not: pursue after them quickly; for ye shall overtake them.

Overtake H 5381. nasag, naw-sag'; a prim. root; to reach (lit. or fig.):--ability, be able, attain (unto), (be able to, can) get, lay at, put, reach, remove, wax rich, X surely, (over-) take (hold of, on, upon).

(Josh 2:6 KJV) But she had brought them up to the roof of the house, and hid them with the stalks of flax, which she had laid in order upon the roof.

(Josh 2:7 KJV) And the men pursued after them the way to Jordan unto the fords: and as soon as they which pursued after them were gone out, they shut the gate.

(Josh 2:8 KJV) And before they were laid down, she came up unto them upon the roof;

(Josh 2:9 KJV) And she said unto the men, I know that the LORD hath given you the land, and that your terror is fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land faint because of you.

Rahab knew that the LORD had given them the land and of the coming terror.

(Josh 2:10 KJV) For we have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red sea for you, when ye came out of Egypt; and what ye did unto the two kings of the Amorites, that were on the other side Jordan, Sihon and Og, whom ye utterly destroyed.

Stories of how God had delivered Israel out of Egypt and the defeat of the two Amorite kings Sihon and Og - (See - Num_21:21-35; Deu_2:30-37, Deu_3:1-8)

(Josh 2:11 KJV) And as soon as we had heard these things, our hearts did melt, neither did there remain any more courage in any man, because of you: for the LORD your God, he is God in heaven above, and in earth beneath.

Melt H 4549. macac, maw-sas'; a prim. root; to liquefy; fig. to waste (with disease), to faint (with fatigue, fear or grief):--discourage, faint, be loosed, melt (away), refuse, X utterly.

She had faith, she believed in the LORD God and the coming judgment on them .

(Josh 2:12 KJV) Now therefore, I pray you, swear unto me by the LORD, since I have showed you kindness, that ye will also show kindness unto my father's house, and give me a true token:

Swear H7650. shaba', shaw-bah'; a prim. root; prop. to be complete, but used only as a denom. from H7651; to seven oneself, i.e. swear (as if by repeating a declaration seven times):--adjure, charge (by an oath, with an oath), feed to the full [by mistake for
      H7646], take an oath, X straitly, (cause to, make to) swear.

In exchange for showing kindness to them by saving them from being captured, she asked that they sware (as in an oath) to show kindness to her father’s house.

Token H226. 'owth, oth; prob. from H225 (in the sense of appearing); a signal (lit. or fig.), as a flag, beacon, monument, omen, prodigy, evidence, etc.:--mark, miracle, (en-) sign, token.

(Josh 2:13 KJV) And that ye will save alive my father, and my mother, and my brethren, and my sisters, and all that they have, and deliver our lives from death.

Rahab asked that not only she be saved from death, but also her family.

(Josh 2:14 KJV) And the men answered her, Our life for yours, if ye utter not this our business. And it shall be, when the LORD hath given us the land, that we will deal kindly and truly with thee.

(Josh 2:15 KJV) Then she let them down by a cord through the window: for her house was upon the town wall, and she dwelt upon the wall.

(Josh 2:16 KJV) And she said unto them, Get you to the mountain, lest the pursuers meet you; and hide yourselves there three days, until the pursuers be returned: and afterward may ye go your way.

JBF Commentary Josh 2:16

Get you to the mountain.
      A range of white limestone hills extends on the north, called Quarantania (now Jebel-Karantul), rising to a height of from 1,200 to 1,500 feet, and the sides of which are perforated with caves. Some one peak adjoining was familiarly known to the inhabitants as "the mountain." The prudence and propriety of the advice to flee in that direction, rather than to the ford, were made apparent by the sequel.

(Josh 2:17 KJV) And the men said unto her, We will be blameless of this thine oath which thou hast made us swear.

The spies made an oath with Rahab.

Oath H7621. shebuw'ah, sheb-oo-aw'; fem. pass. part. of H7650; prop. something sworn, i.e. an oath:--curse, oath, X sworn.

(Josh 2:18 KJV) Behold, when we come into the land, thou shalt bind this line of scarlet thread in the window which thou didst let us down by: and thou shalt bring thy father, and thy mother, and thy brethren, and all thy father's household, home unto thee.

(Josh 2:19 KJV) And it shall be, that whosoever shall go out of the doors of thy house into the street, his blood shall be upon his head, and we will be guiltless: and whosoever shall be with thee in the house, his blood shall be on our head, if any hand be upon him.

(Josh 2:20 KJV) And if thou utter this our business, then we will be quit of thine oath which thou hast made us to swear.

Business H1697. dabar, daw-bawr'; from H1696; a word; by impl. a matter (as spoken of) or thing; adv. a cause:--act, advice, affair, answer, X any such (thing), + because of, book, business, care, case, cause, certain rate, + chronicles, commandment, X commune (-ication), + concern [-ing], + confer, counsel, + dearth, decree, deed, X disease, due, duty, effect, + eloquent, errand, [evil favoured-] ness, + glory, + harm, hurt, + iniquity, + judgment, language, + lying, manner, matter, message, [no] thing, oracle, X ought, X parts, + pertaining, + please, portion, + power, promise, provision, purpose, question, rate, reason, report, request, X (as hast) said, sake, saying, sentence, + sign, + so, some [uncleanness], somewhat to say, + song, speech, X spoken, talk, task, + that, X there done, thing (concerning), thought, + thus, tidings, what [-soever], + wherewith, which, word, work.

The two spies would honour their oath, However if Rahab told thier business, the Oath would be broken.

(Josh 2:21 KJV) And she said, According unto your words, so be it. And she sent them away, and they departed: and she bound the scarlet line in the window.

The New Testament writes this was an act of faith by Rahab. Even though she was a Harlot, she was considered justified for giving lodging to the spies and sending those searching for them in another direction (Hebrews 11:31; James 2:25)

(Heb 11:31 KJV) By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.

(James 2:25 KJV) Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

(Josh 2:22 KJV) And they went, and came unto the mountain, and abode there three days, until the pursuers were returned: and the pursuers sought them throughout all the way, but found them not.

(Josh 2:23 KJV) So the two men returned, and descended from the mountain, and passed over, and came to Joshua the son of Nun, and told him all things that befell them:

(Josh 2:24 KJV) And they said unto Joshua, Truly the LORD hath delivered into our hands all the land; for even all the inhabitants of the country do faint because of us.
      Last edited by chad; Aug 16th 2017, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Joshua Chapter 3

(Josh 3:1 KJV) And Joshua rose early in the morning; and they removed from ****tim, and came to Jordan, he and all the children of Israel, and lodged there before they passed over.

(Josh 3:2 KJV) And it came to pass after three days, that the officers went through the host;

Host G 4264. machaneh, makh-an-eh'; from H2583; an encampment (of travellers or troops); hence an army, whether lit. (of soldiers) or fig. (of dancers, angels, cattle, locusts, stars; or even the sacred courts):--army, band, battle, camp, company, drove, host, tents.

(Josh 3:3 KJV) And they commanded the people, saying, When ye see the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, and the priests the Levites bearing it, then ye shall remove from your place, and go after it.

The ark of the covenant was to lead and go out before Israel and Israel were to follow it.

(Josh 3:4 KJV) Yet there shall be a space between you and it, about two thousand cubits by measure: come not near unto it, that ye may know the way by which ye must go: for ye have not passed this way heretofore.

Two thousand cubits was the distance between the people and the Ark = A thousand Yards (NIV).

(Josh 3:5 KJV) And Joshua said unto the people, Sanctify yourselves: for tomorrow the LORD will do wonders among you.

Sanctify H6942. qadash, kaw-dash'; a prim. root; to be (causat. make, pronounce or observe as) clean (ceremonially or morally):--appoint, bid, consecrate, dedicate, defile, hallow, (be, keep) holy (-er, place), keep, prepare, proclaim, purify, sanctify (-ied one, self), X wholly.

Wonders H6381. pala', paw-law'; a prim. root; prop. perh. to separate, i.e. distinguish (lit. or fig.); by impl. to be (causat. make) great, difficult, wonderful:--accomplish, (arise . . . too, be too) hard, hidden, things too high, (be, do, do a, shew) marvelous (-ly, -els, things, work), miracles, perform, separate, make singular, (be, great, make) wonderful (-ers, -ly, things, works), wondrous (things, works, -ly).

(Josh 3:6 KJV) And Joshua spake unto the priests, saying, Take up the ark of the covenant, and pass over before the people. And they took up the ark of the covenant, and went before the people.

(Josh 3:7 KJV) And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day will I begin to magnify thee in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee.

As God was with Moses when he led Israel, The LORD God would also give a sign that the LORD God was with Israel when Joshua led them into the promised land of Canaan.

Magnify H1431. gadal, gaw-dal'; a prim. root; prop. to twist [comp. H1434], i.e. to be (caus. make) large (in various senses, as in body, mind, estate or honor, also in pride):--advance, boast, bring up, exceed, excellent, be (-come, do, give, make, wax), great (-er, come to . . estate, + things), grow (up), increase, lift up, magnify (-ifical), be much set by, nourish (up), pass, promote, proudly [spoken], tower.

(Josh 3:8 KJV) And thou shalt command the priests that bear the ark of the covenant, saying, When ye are come to the brink of the water of Jordan, ye shall stand still in Jordan.

When they come to the water of Jordan, the priests carrying the ark of the covenant, shall stand in the water with the Ark.

(Josh 3:9 KJV) And Joshua said unto the children of Israel, Come hither, and hear the words of the LORD your God.

(Josh 3:10 KJV) And Joshua said, Hereby ye shall know that the living God is among you, and that he will without fail drive out from before you the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Hivites, and the Perizzites, and the Girga****es, and the Amorites, and the Jebusites.

Israel was to know that the living LORD God was with them, and the LORD God will drive out the nations of the Canaanites who dwelt in Canaan.

They were the Jitties, Hivites, Perizzites, Girga****es, Amorites and the Jebusties
        ( The descendants of Ham [Noah’s son], where as the Israelites were the descendants of Shem [One of Noah’s other sons] ).

Hitties H2850. Chittiy, khit-tee'; patron. from H2845; a Chittite, or desc. of Cheth:--Hittite, Hittites.

Hivites H2340. Chivviy, khiv-vee'; perh. from H2333; a villager; a Chivvite, one of the aboriginal tribes of Pal.:--Hivite.

Perizzites H6522. Perizziy, per-iz-zee'; for H6521; inhab. of the open country; a Perizzite, one of the Canaanitish tribes:--Perizzite.

Girga****es H1622. Girgashiy, ghir-gaw-shee'; patrial from an unused name [of uncert. der.]; a Girga****e, one of the native tribes of Canaan:--Girga****e, Girgasite.

Amorites H567. 'Emoriy, em-o-ree'; prob. a patron. from an unused name derived from H559 in the sense of publicity, i.e. prominence; thus a mountaineer; an Emorite, one of the Canaanitish tribes:--Amorite.

Jebusties H2983. Yebuwciy, yeb-oo-see'; patrial from H2982; a Jebusite or inhab. of Jebus:--Jebusite(-s).

In accordance with the promise of Abraham.

(Gen 15:13 KJV) And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;

Note: The time Israel spent as Slaves in Egypt.

(Gen 15:14 KJV) And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.

Note: Israel carrying with them out of Egypt much substance.

(Gen 15:15 KJV) And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age.

(Gen 15:16 KJV) But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.

(Gen 15:16 KJV) But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.

The Amorites also were descendants of Ham.

(Gen 10:15 KJV) And Canaan begat Sidon his firstborn, and Heth,

(Gen 10:16 KJV) And the Jebusite, and the Amorite, and the Girgasite,

Mathew Henry Commentary

The reason why they must not have the land of promise in possession till the fourth generation was because the iniquity of the Amorites was not yet full.

Israel cannot be possessed of Canaan till the Amorites be dispossessed; and they are not yet ripe for ruin.

The righteous God has determined that they shall not be cut off till they have persisted in sin so long, and arrived at such a pitch of wickedness, that there may appear some equitable proportion between their sin and their ruin; and therefore, till it come to that, the seed of Abram must be kept out of possession.

Note.

(1.) The measure of sin fills gradually. Those that continue impenitent in wicked ways are treasuring up unto themselves wrath.

(2.) Some people's measure of sin fills slowly. The Sodomites, who were sinners before the Lord exceedingly, soon filled their measure; so did the Jews, who were, in profession, near to God. But the iniquity of the Amorites was long in the filling up.

(3.) That this is the reason of the prosperity of wicked people; the measure of their sins is not yet full. The wicked live, become old, and are mighty in power, while God is laying up their iniquity for their children, Job_21:7, Job_21:19. See Mat_23:32; Deu_32:34.

(Josh 3:11 KJV) Behold, the ark of the covenant of the LORD of all the earth passeth over before you into Jordan.

(Josh 3:12 KJV) Now therefore take you twelve men out of the tribes of Israel, out of every tribe a man.

(Josh 3:13 KJV) And it shall come to pass, as soon as the soles of the feet of the priests that bear the ark of the LORD, the Lord of all the earth, shall rest in the waters of Jordan, that the waters of Jordan shall be cut off from the waters that come down from above; and they shall stand upon an heap.

(Josh 3:14 KJV) And it came to pass, when the people removed from their tents, to pass over Jordan, and the priests bearing the ark of the covenant before the people;

(Josh 3:15 KJV) And as they that bare the ark were come unto Jordan, and the feet of the priests that bare the ark were dipped in the brim of the water, (for Jordan overfloweth all his banks all the time of harvest,)

(Josh 3:16 KJV) That the waters which came down from above stood and rose up upon an heap very far from the city Adam, that is beside Zaretan: and those that came down toward the sea of the plain, even the salt sea, failed, and were cut off: and the people passed over right against Jericho.

The waters parted of the rivers of Jordan, when the priests carrying the ark of the covenant stood in the water, so Israel could go through. The LORD God parted the waters. A wonder/sign. Similarly how Moses parted the waters through the power of God, these waters also parted.

(Josh 3:17 KJV) And the priests that bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD stood firm on dry ground in the midst of Jordan, and all the Israelites passed over on dry ground, until all the people were passed clean over Jordan.

Comment

Working...
        X