Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Daily Bible study - Job

Job 1

What did I learn of God? - He drew Satan's attention to Job. He may allow Satan to cause His faithful people distress. He gives Blessings, and also He may take them away.

What did I learn of myself? - My relationship with God does not guarantee me an easy life. Do I get annoyed with God when I suffer? He only allows Satan to touch me or my possessions if He intends Blessings to follow.

What did I praise God for? - He always acts in my best interests.

What did I pray for? - to trust Him in every situation I will face in the future.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God allowed
    Satan to test Job - so his property was stolen and his children killed.

Job 2

What did I learn of God? - He may allow Satan to cause His people bodily distress, but only if it will fulfill His Purposes.

What did I learn of myself? - Does God regard me as blameless and upright? Why or why not? Do I respect God and shun all Evil? Do I only honour God because of His Blessings? Do I hold fast to my integrity when in great distress? or blame God? Do I accept adversity as His Gift of Love? Do I know when to keep silent? or do I feel I must speak on every occasion?

What did I praise God for? - His many Blessings - those that delight me and those that have caused distress.

What did I pray for? - to see His Love in my adversity.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Satan caused Job to have painful boils, but only after God gave him permission, and Job's friends sat in silence with him 7 days.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "One reason God permits Christians to suffer is to display the reality of relationship with the Lord. Believers suffer when hurt . . . . but our continuing faith in God's Goodness testifies to all that God does make a difference. God is Glorified as Christians continue to hope in the Lord despite suffering."

Comment

Job 3

What did I learn of God? - He is free to act as He chooses.

What did I learn of myself? - Have I ever wished I had never been born? Is there ever a difference between what I believe to be true and my emotions? between what I know intellectually and what I feel? When I suffer do I react as Job did? Do I, also, affirm the reality of what I believe in spite of my feelings? Emotional turmoil is not necessarily lack of faith in the Goodness and Love of God.

What did I praise God for? - He is always with me when I am suffering.

What did I pray for? - that I will never doubt His Love for me.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job wished he had not been conceived or born alive.

Comment

Job 4+5

What did I learn of God? - He is Angry with those who cultivate Evil and sow trouble. He is Pure. He is Righteous. He does marvelous things. He corrects His people to Bless them.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I patient? Do I encourage others to trust God? Does what I do, or Who God is, give me confidence to continue trusting Him? I am certainly not more righteous than God? Do sufferers experience the Love of God through me? or theological statements - even if they are coupled with pious reassurances? Do I trust God's Love for me when I am suffering?

What did I praise God for? - His Righteousness.

What did I pray for? - to be enabled to strengthen, and encourage, those whose faith in God is weak.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Eliphaz says Job is suffering because he has Sinned.

Comment

Job 6+7

What did I learn of God? -

What did I learn of myself? - Do I really believe that God is Good? or am I tempted to doubt Him when I suffer? Have I ever felt cut off from God? Have I ever felt crushed by Him? Have I ever accused anyone of malpractice when they are already in despair? Do I focus on my feelings or on God's Power and Love for me (as demonstrated on the Cross)? Do I always expect God to Forgive my unrepented Sin?

What did I praise God for? - He is always in Loving control of whatever touches His people.

What did I pray for? - thanksgiving that He makes incapacity and pain bearable for those who trust Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job feels his complaints are Just and his suffering devoid of any comfort.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "Job's experience helps us identify what happens within us when tragedy strikes. The . . conviction that God is Good is brought into question.
          If we understand this we can accept our own doubts and uncertainty without feelings of guilt. And we can empathise with others who experience tragedy."

Comment

Job 8

What did I learn of God? - He is the Judge and He is Just. His Purposes are not always discerned by mankind.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I ever, mistakenly, assume I know what God's Purpose is in each situation? Do I ever give advise without first hearing from God? Might I ever say what sounds Biblical but is, in fact, wrong? Do I ever assume I know God so well I don't need to consult Him on every issue? Am I willing to allow God freedom of action? Do I assume I know why each person suffers?

What did I praise God for? - that His thoughts and Ways are so much more complex than mine.

What did I pray for? - that He will Guide everything I say and do.

What is this saying in one sentence? Bildad, wrongly, thought Job needed to repent.

Comment

Job 9+10

What did I learn of God? - He will win every argument. He is Wise and Mighty. He Created the heavens. He does many things mankind does not understand. He performs countless miracles. He comes unseen by mankind, and has all Power. He is the Judge, He answers prayer - either 'yes', 'no', or 'wait'. He is Strong. He is Just. Jesus Christ is the Mediator between God and man. He Created me. His Care preserves my spirit.

What did I learn of myself? - I am not righteous before God. God always answers prayer. My pride will be my downfall. Do I choose my words with care? I am not innocent of Sin. Do I fear suffering? Do I fear God's Wrath? I am an intricate unity. My Sins make indelible marks. If I accept Jesus' Righteousness I will have New Life, and He will be my Mediator. Do I plead with God on behalf of those who are in the depths of despair?

What did I praise God for? - the Peace of mind Salvation through Jesus Christ gives.

What did I pray for? - His Mercy.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job wanted a mediator between himself and God.

Comment

Job 11

What did I learn of God? - He speaks. His Wisdom has no limits. He is the Judge. He is Merciful.

What did I learn of myself? - Is what I believe about God substantiated in His Word? Do I seek His Wisdom. Am I ever deceitful or sinful? Do I turn to God in prayer? Do I have the hope in Him that gives courage and security? If I assume I know what is in another persons heart I am on dangerous ground. If I think I know all God's Ways I am guilty of spiritual pride.

What did I praise God for? - His Mercy.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Zophar says Job is suffering because of some unrepented Sin.

Comment

Job 12 - 14

What did I learn of God? - He answers prayer. He Provides. He controls Life and the time of death. He is Wise, Strong and Understanding. No one can reverse what He does. He gives, and may remove, what people prize. He may test me with difficulties. He will rebuke those who say untruths about Him or mock Him. He is Trustworthy. He determines how long my life will be. He offers Salvation.

What did I learn of myself? - I cannot understand all God's ways. I am not inferior to anyone. Do I expect God to answer my prayer? Do I hear God speak to me?
                  Do I ridicule others? Do I provoke Him? Do I help or hinder those in trouble? I am secure in the Lord; my life is His to control. Do I accept, or fight against, difficulties He sends to me? All I have comes from Him. If I have any sense l will continue to trust God whatever difficulties I face. Do I, stupidly, defend Him with lies? Have I accepted the Salvation He offers through Jesus Christ? God determines when I will die. Do I answer when He calls me? Am I concerned about other folk's experiences when I am in pain? I cannot know the specific reasons suffering comes, either to me or to others. I will rise to Life again after the heavens are no more.

What did I praise God for? - He is totally trustworthy, His Provision and Wisdom.

What did I pray for? - to recognise and repent of, my Sin, and enduring faith in Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job's understanding of God.

Quote:- (Reinhols Niebuhr) "It is quite easy to see that religious faith prospers because of, and not in-spite of, the tribulations of this world. It is because this mortal life is felt as an irrelevancy to the main purpose in life that men achieve the courage to hope for immortality."

Comment

Job 15

What did I learn of God? - He gives Counsel. He Comforts His people.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I engage in idle chatter? Do I revere God? Is what I say ever deceitful? Do I consider myself wise? Do I share my knowledge? Am I trustworthy? Do I defy Almighty God? Do I fear death? Do I use money wisely? Do I trust in wealth?

What did I praise God for? - His offers of Counsel and Comfort.

What did I pray for? - His Wisdom. particularly with regard to finance.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Eliphaz' accusations against Job.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) "As the New Testament emphasises, God does punish the wicked and reward the righteous. But not necessarily in this life. Yes, the books will be balanced. But this will take place only at history's end."

Comment

Job 16 + 18

What did I learn of God? - He tests His people, not in anger but in Love.

What did I learn of myself? - When folk are suffering does what I say and do cause them relief or more torment? Do i encourage those who suffer to talk of their feelings? Do I praise God in times of distress or rile against Him? Do I pray for those in distress? Do I really recognise God's Sovereignty, that He has the right to use me for His Purposes in whatever way He chooses? Have I wrongfully accused anyone, or misunderstood them? Do I use my theology or Bible verses as a weapon to attack others? Do I encourage those who suffer by reminding them of God's Love?

What did I praise God for? - encouraging me to talk to Him and plead for others.

What did I pray for? - friends and neighbours in physical and mental pain.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job considers his friends pitiless and prays that they will understand how he feels and acknowledge his innocence.

Comment

Job 19

What did I learn of God? - He is the Redeemer. He is Alive. He has stood( and will stand again) on Earth.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I blame God for my difficulties? Does He seem unjust? In spite of how I feel when I suffer do I still trust God to fulfill His Word? Do I know He is my Redeemer? Do I know He Lives? Do I know He will return to Earth? Do I know that after my present body is dead and decayed I will have another body and see God? Do I trust Him to avenge those who wrong me?

What did I praise God for? - offering Redemption to all.

What did I pray for? - mercy for those who unknowingly wrong me .

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job trusts God in spite of everything he suffers.

Quote:- (Lawrence O Richards) "We're reminded that when another person is hurting is not time for theological discussion. What a hurting person needs is a hand to hold, a caring voice to listen to, and some evidence from friends that he, or she, is still loved and valued."

Comment

Job 20

What did I learn of God? - He punishes those who don't live by His Rules.

What did I learn of myself? Do I think I must give a reason for every situation? My understanding regarding a situation may be defective.

What did I praise God for? - His consistency.

What did I pray for? - that I will always be willing to question my understanding regarding a situation.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Zophar proclaims his theology regarding the wicked.

Quote:- (Robert Ballarmine) "He permits His friends to suffer much in this world, that instead He may crown them all the more gloriously in Heaven, and make them more like His only begotten Son . . . . "

Comment

Job 21

What did I learn of God? - He doesn't often chastise those who ignore Him in this life. He has all knowledge. He is the Judge..

What did I learn of myself? - Do I really listen to all others want to say? or do I interrupt them? do I let my thoughts wander while they are speaking? Do I mock others? Do I complain to God or other people? Do I ignore God and His Ways? Do I consider my difficulties are worse than other folk have? Do I ignore God? Do I consider my Blessings are due to my own ability? Do I trust God completely? Am I prepared to alter my theology to fit the facts of life while holding firmly to my conviction that God exists, desires the best for me, and wants me to seek Him(Heb. 11:6)?

What did I praise God for?
                            - His many Blessings, including those disguised as difficulties.

What did I pray for? - that I always recognise the Blessing behind each difficulty.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Job's view of those who ignore God.

Quote- (Lawrence O. Richards) "What Job finally shouted was, in effect, 'Why don't you get Real! Why don't you face facts? Why don't you consider what we all know, that sometimes bad guy's actually are Blessed? . . . while God's good guys struggle to make a living?' . . . Job's point was a good one. His friends preferred to distort reality in order to hold onto a floored theology. . . This is a lesson for you and me. Our trust is to be in God, not in our theology."

Comment

Job 22

What did I learn of God? - He gains pleasure from those who are Righteous (who have accepted the Salvation Jesus Christ offers and) do their best to please Him. He is the Judge. He is Righteous. He offers Instructions. He restores those who turn to Him. He knows all things. A relationship with Him is more valuable than gold or silver. He answers prayer.

What did I learn of myself? - Have I accepted Jesus Christ's offer of His Righteousness? Have I repented all Sin? God knows everything I think and do, and Blesses me in spite of my imperfections. Do I know God is the Judge yet think I am capable of judging others? Do I have a relationship with Him? Do I experience His Peace? Do I accept His Instructions? Is anything of more value to me than Him? if so, my priorities need adjusting. Do I pray to Him, knowing He will answer? Do I take other folk's questioning about God as rejection of Him?

What did I praise God for? - He is the Judge - not me.

What did I pray for? - that I do not mis-interpret God's Ways.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Eliphaz accused Job of being wicked.

Comment

Working...
                              X