Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Daily Bible Study - Lamentations

Lamentations
    from the Foreword in my Bible:- "Lamentations describes the funeral of a city. It is a tear-stained portrait of the once proud Jerusalem, now reduced to rubble by the invading Babylonian hordes . . . . Jeremiah wrote his lament . . . beginning each chapter with a letter of the Hebrew alphabet, literally weeping from A to Z. And in the midst (3:23) Jeremiah triumphantly cries out "Great is Your Faithfulness". In the face of death and destruction, with life seemingly coming apart, Jeremiah turns tragedy into a triumph of faith".

Lamentations 1

What did I learn of God? - He is Righteous. He punishes His people when they rebel against Him and His patience comes to an end.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I suffer from things I have no control over? Do I seek what is necessary for Life with God? am I willing to give what is valuable to me to obtain it? Do others scorn me because I trust God? Does the Lord have good reason to be angry with me because I have rebelled against Him? Do I suffer bodily ills and weakness? Has my rebellion against God driven Him away from me? Do I repent (turn away from ) all that displeases God?

What did I praise God for? - His Righteousness.

What did I pray for? - Forgiveness.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jerusalem has lost it's splendour.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards)"The city is compared to a widow who has lost touch with all her children. She is not only alone but ignored by old friends and ridiculed by heartless neighbours. All she has is memories of better days . . . which only drive home her loneliness and cause her to weep bitter tears."

Lamentations 2

What did I learn of God? - He will demonstrate His Anger when His people try His Patience too far, and act like their enemy. He may enable His prophets to 'see' false and deceptive visions to deceive the people.

What did I learn of myself? - Am I rebelling against God n some way? Do I take His Word seriously? Do I ask the Lord to confirm in some way what I believe He has said to me? I must remember, when tragedy strikes, that God is not my enemy.

What did I praise God for? - His warnings.

What did I pray for? - To always know if difficulties I encounter are because of my Sin or for the future benefit of myself or others.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God's Anger and actions against Jerusalem.

Comment

Lamentations 3

What did I learn of God? - He is Merciful. He is Compassionate. He is Faithful. He is good to those who obey Him. He offers Salvation. He only punishes as a last resort. He answers fervent prayer. He pleads with, and for, me. He is the Judge.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I suffer because of my Sin or stupidity? Do I blame God for problems I have brought on myself? God is Merciful to me. He is Compassionate in my weakness, and unfailingly Faithful to me. Am I trusting the Lord for my Salvation? Have i fulfilled His conditions? I have no right to complain if I suffer because of my own actions. Am I faithful to the Lord in every way? Do I grieve for those who suffer?( eg. for persecuted Christians). Do I trust God to answer my prayers to Him? Do I have assurance of my Salvation? Do I leave vengeance for ill-treatment to the Lord?(Rom. 12:19)

What did I praise God for? - His Mercies are new every morning.

What did I pray for? - the strength to leave vengeance for all ill-treatment to God.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Jeremiah accused god of causing distress, then remembered His Faithfulness and Mercy.

Comment

Lamentations 4 + 5

What did I learn of God? - He disciplines His rebellious people because it is best for them in the long run. He always has been, and always will be the Lord.

What did I learn of myself? - I will suffer if I rebel against the Lord and fail to obey Him. I cannot hide from Him. If my nation rebels against God I am likely to suffer with everyone else, yet the suffering will come to an end. Do I keep trusting God through every trial, however hard? or do I turn against Him?

What did I praise God for? - Giving His people plenty of time to repent of their Sin.

What did I pray for? - greater determination to obey God.

What is this saying in one sentence? - a description of how low people can sink and a prayer to be restored.

Quote:- (H.L.Sidney Lear)"When trouble, restless fears, anxious fretfulness, strive to overpower the soul, our safety is in saying 'My God, I believe in Thy perfect goodness and wisdom and mercy. What Thou doest I cannot now understand; but I shall one day see it all plainly. Meanwhile I accept Thy Will, whatever it may be, unquestioning without reserve.' There would be no restless disturbance, no sense of utter discomfort and discomposure in our souls, if we were quite free from any - it may be almost unconscious - opposition to God's Will. But we do struggle against it, we do resist; and so long as that resistance endures we cannot be at peace. Peace and even joy, are quite compatible with a great deal of pain - even mental pain - but never with a condition of antagonism or resistance".

Comment

Working...
        X