Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time, reading through Joshua, here goes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time, reading through Joshua, here goes!

Joshua chapter 1 NKJV

I like the questions that Frances asks in her studies, so she has allowed me to use them for my own...thanks Frances!

What did I learn of God? Something that really stuck out in this chapter is that God told Joshua twice to " be strong and of good courage" and once He said," only be strong and very courageous". If God says it three times, it must of been very important. He knew what was ahead of this "mission" for Joshua. I learned that God will prepare us for what lies ahead, if we will listen. I learned that His word is so very important.

What did I learn of myself? I learned that just as God is telling Joshua to be strong and of good courage, He is saying the same thing to me. I am going through one of the hardest trials in my life that the enemy is seeking to destroy me, and God is telling me to " be strong and of good courage", " I will never leave you nor forsake you", " do not let My word depart from your mouth, but meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous and then you will have good success"

What did I praise God for? Thank you Lord Jesus for speaking to my heart in this chapter. You have given me such wonderful and precious promises that You will never leave me nor forsake me and if I continue to meditate in your word, trusting and obeying You. You will make my life prosperous and my children will have good success. Praise, glory, and honor to Almighty God!!!!

Joshua chapter 2

What did I learn of God? If you have faith in Him, He can use you and it doesn't matter what your life is like now or what is in your past, He will use you if you have faith in Him. Rahab was a harlot and she was pretty bold to go against the king, but because she BELIEVED that their(children of Israel) God was the one true God of heaven and earth, she lied to the king and hid the two spys. She believed that God would give them the land and so she made a deal with them.

What did I learn of myself? This scripture verse comes to mind," one thing I do; forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead." My past doesn't matter,it is gone, it's the past and my sins have been forgiven through the blood of Christ. I am a new creation in Him, no longer a slave to this world,the flesh and the devil, but a daughter of the King, holy and dearly loved, through Christ who has paid the price for me.

What did I praise God for? Using Rahab as an example that anyone who believes in Him, will be saved. You don't have to wait to clean up your life, come to Him as you are and Christ will forgive you and you will be a new creation.

What did I pray for? That anyone who is reading this who is an unbeliever, doesn't matter who you are now or what your past looks like, if you will surrender your life to Christ, asking Him to come into your heart, He will forgive you and change you. He loves you. Come as you are.

Comment

Joshua chapter 3

It's getting pretty exciting now, Joshua and the children of Israel are crossing the Jordan, led by the priests who are carrying the "ark of the covenant".

I had to go back and read about the "ark of the covenant" in exodus because I didn't know what it was. Besides Psalm and Proverbs, I have not studied much else of the OT, why God was leading me to Joshua, I don't know...okay back to my study...

As I was reading about how the "ark of the covenant" was to be made, I said to the Lord, " I really wish I had a picture of it" I also asked the Lord why He went into so much detail in making it, is there a purpose with the rings, how big is a cubit? what are these cheribum? Just questions I was asking the Lord, He hasn't answered yetMaybe if I do a google search.

One thing I do know and that was this " ark of the covenant" held the testimonies of God, His commandments, His word. How precious is the word of God that it is carried in something, made of gold. The ark of the covenant was to go before the children of Israel and they were to follow it. Oh the Lord just showed me something.

He reminded me of this scripture verse," the Word became flesh" Oh thank you Lord, just as His word was in the ark of the covenant that they were to watch and follow, Jesus is the same with us, we are to focus on Him and follow Him, oh amen! I am really loving this book

God stops the waters from flowing and the children of Israel cross the Jordan, with their feet on dry ground.

Comment

Continuing On...

When I began this study last year, I did not know what God was preparing me for and the command that God gave to Joshua," Be strong and of good courage, do not be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go" that verse I would later cling to. I hope by completing the study of this book and posting my experiences this past year, which by the way has been the most difficult and trying year of my life, will somehow minister to others and remind me of the Lords faithfulness, His power and love...and forgiveness.

Comment

Joshua Chapter 4.

In chapter 4 the children of Israel cross over the Jordan. In the previous chapter, the Lord promises Joshua that He would magnify him before Israel, that they may know, that just as God was with Moses, He will be with Joshua.

I have learned that with every great trial, if we obey the Lord, we receive a great victory and God always keeps His promises.

The Lord commands Joshua to tell the priests to take up 12 stones as a memorial, that they, along with their children will remember that the Lord their God dried up the Jordan so that they could cross over, and also to know the hand of the Lord that it is mighty that they may fear the Lord God forever.

After reading this chapter last year, I began to keep a journal of my walk with the Lord. It is a reminder of what God has done in my life. I look back and read and wonder how I made it through that time and I weep because so many times in my journal, it says," thank you Lord" and " I praise you for your faithfulness" Sometimes you can't see the hand of God right away in the midst of your trial, but sometimes when you look back you can see what His purpose.

Comment

This is one of my most favorite books of the Bible. It saw me through very tough times.

I learned..do not be afraid, be obedient to the Lord, the Lord gives victory to those who love and serve Him.

Although many don't like this book because of it being wars and bloody and yes I know it was, I felt like God was walking with me through the spiritual realm. I saw the natural in it yes, but there is so much more to it.

It truly is a book of victory through our God!
            "Hope in God never disappoints, hope in man always leads to disillusionment." Dumitru Duduman

Comment

Amen fontz! I too felt the war going on in the spiritual wrelm this past year. I read in Joshua, what was done in the physical, and apply it to the spiritual. Thank you!

It really is a book of victory in the Lord! I like the action in it too.

Comment

Joshua chapter 5

"Commander of the army of the Lord" " His sword drawn in His hand"... I love this description of the Lord . Makes me feel safe, that He is watching over me, protecting me. and whatever battle I face, the battle is the Lords...Amen!! I love you Lord Jesus. Just as He commanded moses at the burning bush, He commanded Joshua to take his sandal off, because where he was standing was holy ground.

In chapter 5 the kings of the Ammorites and the kings of the Cananites heard what God had done for the children of Israel and their "hearts melted" and there was no spirit in them any longer because of the children of Israel. The Lord commanded Joshua to circumcise all of the sons of Israel. Their fathers died in the wilderness and this new generation had not been circumcised yet. After they were circumcised, the Lord said, that He would "roll away" the reproach of Egypt from them.

As a believer, my heart needs to be circumcised, from sin. That the Lord may "roll away" the reproach of Egypt, my "egypt" would be anything that causes me to be a slave to sin.

No more manna, the children of Israel ate the food of the land that year in Canaan.

Comment

Joshua chapter 6

In this chapter the Lord hands over the city of Jericho to Israel to be destroyed, He commands Joshua to have the priests( seven priests and seven trumpets) to march around the city six days, once a day and on the seventh day, seven times. On the seventh day they marched around the city seven times, blew their trumpets and the people gave out a loud shout, the wall of Jericho fell down flat.

The Lord is just, and merciful. Rahab the harlot and her family was saved before the city of Jericho was destroyed.

I praise God that He will remove His church before He pours out His wrath in the tribulation. Yes, I am pre-trib and I believe the rapture can happen at any moment, and I believe Israel is the key, after the Lord removes His church, He will turn His focus back to Israel.

Come Lord Jesus!!!

Comment

Joshua Chapter 7

In this chapter I learn that you cannot get away with sin. God told Joshua to tell His people not to take any of the "accursed things" from the people of Jericho, except for all of the gold and silver, that was to be put into the treasury of the Lord, but there were some who took of the accursed things and tried to hide it.

I know from this chapter that you can't hide from God, but that He sees everything. How many times do we try to hold onto just a little bit of sin and try and rationalize it and say," I won't get caught" or we think that we are an exception that we could somehow get away with it. We deceive ourselves. The bible says that God is not mocked, and whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. Sooner or later, the strong Hand of discipline will come down upon every believer who willfully disobeys the Lord, it's because He loves us so much and He sees what sin does to His children. Sin by it's very nature is enslaving. We have been set free from slavery to sin and we know what it is like to walk in total freedom in Christ, why would be want to be enslaved once again? I've learned this lesson the hard way, and it was painful, but afterwards I was praising Him for His discipline.

Achan took of the accursed things and so God let Israel be defeated by their enemies at Ai. Joshua didn't know what Achan had done, so when they were defeated, he cried out to God and was complaining.

Sometimes things don't work out the way we planned and God throws a curve ball into our lives, but we have to trust that He knows the end from the beginning and He sees what we don't.

Verse 21 describes how Achan sinned and it's how many of us fall into the same temptation, we look, we covet, we act, then we try and hide it. Here is the verse...

Joshua 7:21
                    When I saw among the spoils a beautiful Babylonian garment, two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold weighing fifty shekels, I coveted them and took them. And there they are, hidden in the earth in the midst of my tent, with the silver under it.”

They stoned Achan and his family and they burned them and all that he had with fire.

Comment

Joshua chapter 8

Okay this war is bloody. The Lord hands the city of Ai over to Israel and all the people of Ai fell by the edge of the sword. men and women, about twelve thousand.

I don't know what to take from this chapter, all scripture is good for instruction in righteousness, but i don't know what this chapter is teaching me other than Father God is a God of love and also a God of war. Why did He allow such a bloody war?hmm, I think I will post this question somewhere on the board to get some insight for other who might know the answer to this.

Comment

Joshua chapter 9

In chapter 9 the Gibeonites deceived Israel into believing that they were from a distant country , they feared the God of Israel because they heard what had happened in Egypt and what he had done to the two kings of the Amorites. So Israel made an oath with them, then later found out that they lived nearby but couldn't kill them because they had made an oath with them. So they(Gibeonites) were cursed, they would forever serve Israel as woodcutters and watercarriers.

Comment

Joshua chapter 10

So the king of Jerusalem found out what happened in Ai and that the Gibionites had made a treaty with Israel so he got the other kings to join forces with him to go up against the Gibeonites because they were larger than Ai and their men were good fighters. So all of the kings of the Amorites went up against them. Then the Gibeonites called on israel to help them and the Lord told Joshua not to be afraid but that He would deliver them over to Israel to be destroyed. Their enemies fled before them and Israel pursued them, God sent hailstones on them and some of them died from the hailstones and the others by the sword of the israelites. YES! VICTORY!

This was the most exciting chapter yet, I didn't know the bible could read like a story similar to watching the Gladiator, or Braveheart or the movie 300 but this is better because this is a real battle and our enemies are not people, they are the world, the flesh ,and the devil and God is on our side and we have the victory in Christ, He that is within us is GREATER! Our battle is a spiritual battle and I am learning that in this chapter.

Our God is not a God of war, no He is a God of love, mercy, and justice.
                          In this chapter Joshua gave a powerful prayer that the sun would stand still and the Lord heard Joshua and so the sun stood still for a whole day,I think that means there was no night for 24hrs.

They utterly destroyed and conquered 5 whole cities and their kings, there were no survivors and they did this all in one campaign. because God was on their side!!! AMEN!VICTORY!!!!

Comment

In the matter of Scripture reading, special attention was directed to those who were overseers of the nation. To Joshua, Jehovah said: “Take care to do according to all the law.” With a view to his fulfilling that responsibility, he was told: “You must in an undertone read in it day and night, . . . for then you will make your way successful and then you will act wisely.” (Joshua 1:7,*8) As is true of any Christian overseer today, Joshua’s regular reading of the Scriptures would help him to keep clearly in mind the specific commandments that Jehovah God had given to His people. Joshua also needed to understand how God had dealt with His servants under various circumstances. As he read statements of God’s purpose, it was important for him to think about his own responsibility in connection with that purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsdaughter View Post
                              Joshua chapter 1 NKJV

I like the questions that Frances asks in her studies, so she has allowed me to use them for my own...thanks Frances!

What did I learn of God? Something that really stuck out in this chapter is that God told Joshua twice to " be strong and of good courage" and once He said," only be strong and very courageous". If God says it three times, it must of been very important. He knew what was ahead of this "mission" for Joshua. I learned that God will prepare us for what lies ahead, if we will listen. I learned that His word is so very important.

What did I learn of myself? I learned that just as God is telling Joshua to be strong and of good courage, He is saying the same thing to me. I am going through one of the hardest trials in my life that the enemy is seeking to destroy me, and God is telling me to " be strong and of good courage", " I will never leave you nor forsake you", " do not let My word depart from your mouth, but meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous and then you will have good success"

What did I praise God for? Thank you Lord Jesus for speaking to my heart in this chapter. You have given me such wonderful and precious promises that You will never leave me nor forsake me and if I continue to meditate in your word, trusting and obeying You. You will make my life prosperous and my children will have good success. Praise, glory, and honor to Almighty God!!!!
                              Hello

Thanks for this. after read your, I read Joshua before bed and think that way careful pondering. gotta to say it is uplifting.

Praise God for all His wonderful.

Gillian

Comment

Working...
                              X