Was totally laughed at today :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was totally laughed at today :(

As most of you know, I work as a maintenance technician on industrial equipment, and it is a pretty dirty job. Many days, when i get off of work, I am just filthy, so I don't really like to go anywhere unless it is absolutely necessary.

Today was one of those days. It was a rough day at work, and by the end of the day, I had dust and grease on my shirt. I didn't even realize how dirty my face was until I got home. I don't like getting grimey, but its my job. What choice do I have?

Well, when I went into the rental store to make a payment on my account, there was this guy at the counter. As soon as I walked in, the guy looks at me, then kind of nods toward me while looking at his friend. His friend turns her body around to look at me (she was sitting with her back to me), and starts laughing hysterically. I didn't say anything, but I was really bummed out and embarassed.

I get up to the counter, and the guy says "oh, wow, you're a hard worker," and starts asking me about my job. Everyone was just completely staring at me, looking all astonished. Then, after I'm done with my business, I turn around to leave, and the girl just glares at me. We make eye contact, but then when I'm just out of her view, she starts snickering.

WHY?!! What's so funny about me having dirt and grease on my clothes? It made me feel really bad, and I so badly wanted to say something to her, but I also didn't want to ruin my witness, so I just walked away, but even so, I felt so depressed. It was a rough day, and I'm tired at work, and to have another lady laugh at me because I have to work this crummy job which involves grease and hydraulic fluid...It's not humbling. It's humiliating!!!!

Even at the bank, people were totally staring at me. This one woman just sort of looked me up and down with that snobby look that people give you sometimes, and i just sort of stared back.

Why are people like this?! If it were a guy who was greay and filthy, it wouldn't be any big deal. Is it offensive to people or something?!

I am sorry that happened to you. It was something different so the people did that, no excuse at all though if they were snobbish about it or laughed like a hyena.

Comment

Originally posted by Welder4Christ View Post
      As most of you know, I work as a maintenance technician on industrial equipment, and it is a pretty dirty job. Many days, when i get off of work, I am just filthy, so I don't really like to go anywhere unless it is absolutely necessary.

Today was one of those days. It was a rough day at work, and by the end of the day, I had dust and grease on my shirt. I didn't even realize how dirty my face was until I got home. I don't like getting grimey, but its my job. What choice do I have?

Well, when I went into the rental store to make a payment on my account, there was this guy at the counter. As soon as I walked in, the guy looks at me, then kind of nods toward me while looking at his friend. His friend turns her body around to look at me (she was sitting with her back to me), and starts laughing hysterically. I didn't say anything, but I was really bummed out and embarassed.

I get up to the counter, and the guy says "oh, wow, you're a hard worker," and starts asking me about my job. Everyone was just completely staring at me, looking all astonished. Then, after I'm done with my business, I turn around to leave, and the girl just glares at me. We make eye contact, but then when I'm just out of her view, she starts snickering.

WHY?!! What's so funny about me having dirt and grease on my clothes? It made me feel really bad, and I so badly wanted to say something to her, but I also didn't want to ruin my witness, so I just walked away, but even so, I felt so depressed. It was a rough day, and I'm tired at work, and to have another lady laugh at me because I have to work this crummy job which involves grease and hydraulic fluid...It's not humbling. It's humiliating!!!!

Even at the bank, people were totally staring at me. This one woman just sort of looked me up and down with that snobby look that people give you sometimes, and i just sort of stared back.

Why are people like this?! If it were a guy who was greay and filthy, it wouldn't be any big deal. Is it offensive to people or something?!
      People are stupid is about all I can say.

Comment

Originally posted by Reynolds357 View Post
        People are stupid is about all I can say.
        Ya, but its still disheartening

Comment

I find it odd actually that people would act that way..I see dirty guys coming into the local grocery store all the time getting a few groceries. Its obvious they have been doing some hard labor job..they are dirty, tired and just want to get their stuff and go home. People around here have the highest respect for those that do physical labor and frankly I think they have a right to be proud of the work they do. Too many now are too prideful to do that kind of work and would be appalled at the idea of getting even a little dirty. If you ask me (and here goes my rant on this) because we have gotten spoiled and are unwilling to do the tough jobs we put them off on immigrants, legal or not, because too many didn't want to get dirty from hard physical labor. Then we wonder why we now have an immigrant problem...

I am truly sorry you were treated this way. God knows and He knows you handled it well. You have nothing to be ashamed of and should be proud. I know people that would rather end up on the streets homeless then work if they can't get a nice office job...crazy isn't it? And one day those folks might find themselves scrubbing toilets for a living and remember you!

Hang in there. I am sure God will bless you for the restraint you showed today.

God bless
          "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

I'm sorry.
            (((((HUGS)))))

You should never, ever be made to feel shame for honest grit and grime that you earned.

I have a hard time with people who treat others as outcasts due to their appearance or dress. The next time you go into the rental place, do me a huge favor. Go in your work clothes, all greasy and messy. And if the person behind the counter looks askance at you, please tell them that you have just left work. W-o-r-k. That's where you go each day to get the money M-o-n-e-y that pays THEIR wages. You know - what they use to buy their groceries comes from you.

Then smile and tell them you are glad thry are there to serve you. And mean it.

(((((HUGS)))))
            V
            I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
            - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

I wouldn't worry about what these people thought about you. They sound very ignorant.

((((hugs))))

Jeanne
              Refrain your voice from weeping, and your eyes from tears, for your work shall be rewarded declares the Lord, and they (your children) will come back from the land of the enemy. Jeremiah 31:16-17
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sometimes God lets you hit rock bottom so that you can discover He is the rock at the bottom

All the forces of darkness cannot stop what God has ordained. Isaiah 14:27

Comment

Thanks for the replies, all.

Vhayes -- the people behind the counter weren't the ones who were rude, but some of the other customers.

This is probably going to come out really bad, but the girl who laughed at me...I get the sneaking suspicion that she nor anyone she was with even had a job, nor do they want one. I think you know what I'm getting at.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanne D View Post
                  I wouldn't worry about what these people thought about you. They sound very ignorant.

((((hugs))))

Jeanne
                  Why do people do that?! What do you mean they are ignorant?

Comment

Then it's the need to feel superior. You won't fix it, nor will I. it's endemic in human nature.

Thank God that you have a job, smile and know that what you have, you have by the grace of God and someday, when you have plenty, you will willingly share with others - God sees and knows the hurts. He also heals them completely.
                    V
                    I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
                    - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

I hope you don't mind me saying this but;

I am sorry that you were made to feel uncomfortable.

I am honored to be able to offer encouragement. Our society honors foolish petty things like appearance over truly honorable things like integrity and hard work that I am blessed to be able to offer you encouragement.

Blessings to you sister.
                      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
                      ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
                      ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

I used to be a mechanic too. I made really good money back then, so the grime and dirt was worth it...plus, I was good at it.
                        Having full time work and actually working is something many people have no concept of.
                        I do pray you see the importance of the skills that you have and wear that grease with confidence...its an annointing of a humble soul with steady hands.

Usually when something like what you mentioned happens to me..I eventually figure out those people need prayer, because I know in order to forgive them that I end up praying for them. God works in mysterious ways against the enemy of this world.
                        Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

1 Corinthians 1:30

Comment

Next time, look them straight in the face and ask them what's so funny. Smile real big when you ask. Not a fake smile either. Just a friendly, open, unthreatening smile.

Seriously. Do it. It's important.

Comment

Originally posted by Welder4Christ View Post
                            Why do people do that?! What do you mean they are ignorant?
                            Well they were laughing at you because you were dirty, BUT they had no idea why.. thus they were ignorant about it.

Personally I admire you for what you do, and honestly, I don't know what's funny about a woman being dirty. If it was me, and I saw you , I'd assume it was for a good reason.

Jeanne
                            Refrain your voice from weeping, and your eyes from tears, for your work shall be rewarded declares the Lord, and they (your children) will come back from the land of the enemy. Jeremiah 31:16-17
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sometimes God lets you hit rock bottom so that you can discover He is the rock at the bottom

All the forces of darkness cannot stop what God has ordained. Isaiah 14:27

Comment

Originally posted by DaniHansen View Post
                              Next time, look them straight in the face and ask them what's so funny. Smile real big when you ask. Not a fake smile either. Just a friendly, open, unthreatening smile.

Seriously. Do it. It's important.
                              Thanks, Dani....I wish I could. I have no backbone, though. Guaranteed she would have done one of two things: Try to start trouble, or laugh at me even more.

Comment

Working...
                              X