My Daily Bible Study - Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Daily Bible Study - Chronicles

1 Chronicles (from the foreword in my NKJV)
    "the books of 1 and 2 Chronicles cover the same period of Jewish history as described in 2 Samuel and 1+2 Kings, but the perspective is different . . . no mere repetition of the same material, but rather from a divine editorial on the history of God's people. While 2 Samuel and 1+2 Kings give a political history of Israel and Judah, 1+2 Chronicles present a religious history of the Davidic dynasty of Judah. the former are written from a prophetic and moral viewpoint, and the later from a priestly and spiritual perspective. . . 1st Chronicles . . . traces the spiritual significance of David's righteous reign.

1 Chronicles 1 - 9

What did I learn of God? - Family histories are important to Him, including where each person lived and whether they fully trusted Him and, in some instances their occupation. Repeated unfaithfulness to Him brings retribution.

What did I learn of myself? - My family history is known to the Lord. He knows of all character and physical defects I have inherited from my forebears.

What did I praise God for? - knowing each of his people intimately.

What did I pray for? - That I will earn the right to be recorded in His book of Life as one who fully trusted, and was obedient to, Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Genealogies - the descendants of Jacob's sons.

Note:- when I feel unimportant and insignificant I must remember each name represents an individual who is important to, and remembered by, God. . . these 'boring' lists are a reminder of God's Love for each apparently insignificant one of His people.

1 Chronicles 10

What did I learn of God? - He removes His protection from those who are unfaithful to Him, also from those who consult mediums for guidance instead of turning to Him.

What did I learn of myself? - God has prepared/is preparing someone to do all I do for Him - and maybe they will do it more conscientiously and/or better? Have I sought guidance from a medium (or similar) instead of from the Lord? if so, have I repented and sought Forgiveness through Jesus Christ? or made excuses for my behaviour?

What did I praise God for? - He always keeps His Word.

What did I pray for? - to be reminded of everything I've done that has displeased the Lord but not yet been repented of.

What is this saying in one sentence? - the deaths of Saul and his sons because of his disobedience/unfaithfulness to God.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards)"Even a member of the Covenant community, even one exalted to be king over God's people, must submit to God and do His Will. The faithless Saul was rejected . . . Yet even the unfaithfulness of Saul could not thwart God's good purposes for His people. Saul was set aside, but the Lord 'turned the kingdom over to David"'

Comment

1 Chronicles 11

What did I learn of God? – He ensures those who please Him have the right friends and helpers.

What did I learn of myself?
      – Has the Lord prepared me/is He preparing me to be used in some way in the ‘Work of His Kingdom? Desperate situations I face maybe for future service for Him, although it ay not necessarily be to confront an angry lion in a pit in icy underfoot, but I must be prepared to face other frightening and difficult circumstances. If I want to be a peacemaker I must not show favouratism to nzy factions (Jerusalem was on the borderline between the northern and southern sections of @David’s kingdom was part of neither.

What did I praise God for? - The training He ensures I| receive to enable me to serve Him in the way He desires.

What did I pray for?
      – that I never turn away from difficulties but face each one with Him..

What is this saying in one sentence? – David was made king and a list of his ‘mighty men’.

Many Thanks
      Frances

Comment

1 Chronicles 12

What did I learn of God? - He provides sufficient helpers to enable leaders He chooses to accomplish all He desires in His Strength.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I ensure those I follow are faithful to the Lord in all things? am I loyal to them? Do I understand what the Lord is doing and do it with Him? Do I inspire loyalty as David did? if not, why not? It is right to take risks when the Lord asks me to do so in His Service, but not to take risks to satisfy a leader's longings, or my own ego. Am I as concerned for the well-being of my friends as David was? Do I provide what I am able for those in need?

What did I praise God for? - The preparation He has given me for the spiritual Battles ahead, and loyal friends.

What did I pray for? - greater discernment.

What is this saying in one sentence? - those the Lord sent to join David's army.

Comment

1 Chronicles 13

What did I learn of God? - He is Holy. His people must ensure they are not only pleasing God but obeying Him in the way they do it (Ex. 25:14; Num. 4:2-15; Deut. 10:8). He Blesses those who welcome Him. He must be obeyed. What He said in times past still hold good today.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I consult the Lord regarding my proposed actions before asking others? Do I only continue with what I propose if I have His Peace to do so? Do my reflex actions follow the Lord's instructions implicitly?

What did I praise God for? - His standards never change.

What did I pray for? - to know Him so well that every movement I make will be pleasing to Him.

What is this saying in one sentence?- What the Lord said in times past still hold good today and David decided to take the Ark to Jerusalem, but ignored God's Instructions for moving it.

Comment

1 Chronicles 14

What did I learn of God? - He must be consulted, even for two situations that appear to be similar, as the best way to deal with them may not be the same.

What did I learn of myself?
            - What the Lord has Promised me may not become manifest for many difficult years. Do I always consult the Lord regarding decisions I have to make? especially if my decision will affect others? Do I trust Him with every detail of my life? I, too, have good friends who will help me.

What did I praise God for? - each of the folk He has inspired to befriend and help me.

What did I pray for? - to be thoughtful regarding God's right to rule my life, not thoughtless.

What is this saying in one sentence? - David was sent cedar trees, masons and carpenters to build him a house; he married more women and fathered more children; and defeated the Philistines twice, following God's directions.

Comment

1 Chronicles 15

What did I learn of God? - When He is obeyed He Blesses and helps.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I always obey God? do I treat what has been dedicated to Him with the respect I should?(eg. other people and my own body). Do I involve everyone possible in serving the Lord? or give the impression - maybe without meaning to - that I think I'm more important and can do without their help? Do I recognize God's Help? or take it for granted? Do others despise me for the ways I believe glorify God? if so they may suffer for it? (as Mical did).

What did I praise God for? - that everyone, and what they do, is important to Him.

What did I pray for? - to take good care of the piece of precision engineering that is my body, not abuse it or take it's painless functioning for granted.

What is this saying in one sentence? - The Ark was joyfully taken to Jerusalem.

Comment

1 Chronicles 16

What did I learn of God? - He is Great, and worthy of praise and thanks. His Covenant with Abraham and His oath to Isaac was confirmed to Jacob - an everlasting Covenant to give them the land of Canaan. He protects His people. His offer of Salvation is Good News. He made the Heavens. He is the Judge of the Earth. His Mercy endures for ever.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I give gifts to celebrate joyful occasions? do I bless others in the Name of the Lord? Do I pray to the living God? Do I make His deeds known? Do I sing to Him? Do I glory in His Holy Name? Do I seek His face and His Strength? Do I remember His marvelous works and His Judgments? Do I proclaim the Good News of His Salvation? Do I give Him His due?

What did I praise God for? - His Mercy and the Good News that His Salvation is available for all people.

What did I pray for? - His Mercy.

What is this saying in one sentence? - The Ark was put in the tabernacle, David's song of thanksgiving was sung, and regular worship continued.

Comment

1 Chronicles 17

What did I learn of God? -He may not be pleased with what we want to do for Him. He Promised to always be Merciful to David's son who would succeed him and that his throne would be established forever, (brought to fulfillment in Jesus Christ).

What did I learn of myself? - Am I doing/haveI done anything for God that has displeased Him? Do I always acknowledge God's Graciousness and Mercy to me? He does not ask me to do great things for Him, but to allow Him to do great things through and for me. I must submit to God to allow Him to act for me in amazing ways.

What did I praise God for? - His Grace and Mercy.

What did I pray for? - that before starting to do anything for Him to always ask if it will please Him.

What is this saying in one sentence? - God's Covenant with David.

Quote:- (Robert Cecil) " Faith makes all evil good to us, and all good better; unbelief makes all good evil, and all evil worse. Faith laughs at the shaking of the spear, unbelief trembles at the shaking of a leaf, unbelief starves the soul; faith finds food in famine, and the table in the wilderness. In the days of danger faith says "I have a great God". When outward strength is broken, faith rests on the Promises. In the midst of sorrow faith draws the sting out of every trouble, and takes out the bitterness from every affliction. '

Comment

1 Chronicles 18 - 20

What did I learn of God? - He acts with, and for, those who honour Him.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I honour God and His Word? Do I, wrongly, suspect those who intend to be kind of intending to harm me? When I make mistakes do I confess and make restitution or try to cover them up and get deeper in trouble? am I willing to be inconvenienced to encourage those who are ashamed or humiliated?

What did I praise God for? - that He acts with, and for, those who serve Him.

What did I pray for? - to always show compassion to those humiliated or ashamed.

What is this saying in one sentence? - Davids's conquests.

Comment

1 Chronicles 21

What did I learn of God?
                      - He is displeased with any form of personal pride. His Mercies are great. His punishments are severe.

What did I learn of myself? - Do I acknowledge any ability that I have comes from the Lord? or do I consider achievements are due only, or mainly, to my personal ability? Is my trust in the Lord complete? or only partial, as an addendum to my personal ability? Prior to obeying leaders do I warn them if their actions will displease the Lord? God is pleased with my genuine repentance. Do I offer the Lord what costs me nothing? Do I act in harmony with God's Word? Do I examine my motives before acting?

What did I praise God for? - His Mercy.

What did I pray for? - Wisdom to please God in all things.

What is this saying in one sentence? - David ordered Joab to count the number of soldiers available - which God punished.

Quote:- (Lawrence O. Richards) " The Hebrew 'shatan' means 'adversary'. It is possible it should be rendered this way in 21:1. In that case, Satan was not involved, but it was the appearance of adversaries preparing for war . . .that prompted David to take a military census.

Comment

1 Chronicles 22

What did I learn of God?
                        – He did not allow David to build the Temple to Glorify Him because he had shed a lot of blood (even though He had enabled David to be the warrior he was) He said Solomon would be born to David and build the Temple, during a time of peace. He established the kingdom of Israel for ever.

What did I learn of myself? – Am I willing to make preparations for others to do great things for God instead of doing them myself? or do I make the mistake of thinking I must do the special things? If I am careful to obey God’s decrees and regulations I will be successful in what He wants me to do. I, too, have benefited from my ancestors allegiance to the Lord my God. Have I determined to do God’s Will in every area of my life?

What did I praise God for? – being far more faithful to me than I am to Him.

What did I pray for? – greater determination to do His Will in every tiny detail.

What is this saying in one sentence? – David made preparations for Solomon to build the Temple and encouraged him to be faithful to God.

Comment

1 Chronicles 23, 24 +25

What did I learn of God? – Visible worship and praise of Him are of paramount importance. He gives His people Peace –spiritual, mental and sometimes physical too. He has endowed His people with ‘natural’ talents He expects them to use for His Glory.

What did I learn of myself? - Is the most important thing to me to worship and praise the Lord in all I do and say? Is my first consideration always to ensure others know He is worthy of adoration? Do I trust Him enough to allow His Peace to rule my life.

What did I praise God for? – being unique.

What did I pray for? – to be single-minded in my devotion to Almighty God.

What is this saying in one sentence? – David’s orders regarding the Priests, Levites and musicians to ensure continual praise and worship of God.

Comment

1 Chronicles 28

What did I learn of God? – He requires those He Blesses to obey Him and His Word. He searches all hearts and understands the intentions and thoughts of all minds. Those who seek Him will find Him – but those who forsake Him, He will reject. His Spirit enlightens those of His people who are receptive. He never forsakes those intent on doing His Will.

What did I learn of myself? – the Lord may not want me to do what I would like to do for Him. Do I always obey the Lord? Do I know Him intimately? Do I worship Him with my whole heart and a willing mind? God knows what is in my heart and every one of my thoughts. When I seek God I will find Him. If I forsake God He will reject me. Do I always do the best I am able in His service? Have I made preparations for the Lord’s Work to continue with some of my resources after I am dead? The Lord will be with me as I work for His Glory.

What did I praise God for? – knowing everything about me.

What did I pray for? - to fulfill God’s purposes for me.

What is this saying in one sentence? – David’s instructions to Solomon regarding the Temple.

Comment

1 Chronicles 29

What did I learn of God? – He chose Solomon to be king of Israel. Giving to Him with a willing heart produces Joy. His is the Greatness, the Power and the Glory, the Victory and the Majesty. All that is in Heaven and Earth belongs to Him. He is Head over all. Riches and Honour come from Him. He reigns over all. He is able to give Strength to all. All things come from Him. He tests the hearts of His people. His people’s integrity gives Him pleasure.

What did I learn of myself? – Is it important to me to give abundantly to the Lord’s Work? Whatever I do, for or against God’s Will, some others will follow my lead. Do I fully realize the Greatness, Power, Victory, Majesty and Glory of the Lord? Do I realize all that is in Heaven and on earth is His? and that He Reigns over everyone everywhere? that both riches and honour come from Him? and that He has all Power and Might? and that He is able to give me His strength, am I able to receive it? Do I thank and praise Him sufficiently? I have nothing to give Him that He didn’t first give me. Do I give enough back to Him? Are all my promises to the Lord fulfilled? God doesn’t value what I give Him so much as the intention of my heart. (eg. the widow’s mite)

What did I praise God for? – being Himself

What did I pray for? – Forgiveness, and greater realization that giving to Him for His Work is not a duty but a privilege.

What is this saying in one sentence? – David’s offerings to, and praise of God; Solomon anointed king and David’s death.

Comment

Working...
                              X