39% of New York city pregnancies end in abortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 39% of New York city pregnancies end in abortion

We desperately need a law to protect these children. Can you imagine the outcry if 39% of the 2 year olds in NY city were killed by their mothers and doctors?

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – Archbishop Timothy Dolan is calling for efforts to make abortions in New York City “rare.”

Dolan gathered with other religious leaders on Thursday to draw attention to the city’s high abortion rate. The city health department last month released statistics that showed 39 percent of pregnancies ended with induced termination in 2009.
    In the Bronx, it's even higher.

In 2009, there were 225,667 pregnancies in the City with 126,774 resulting in live births and 87,273 resulting in abortions. In addition to those abortion numbers, there were 11,620 spontaneous terminations.

Forty-six percent of all births in the Bronx result in abortions—the highest among the five boroughs, according to the report.
    Linky

Government was established by God because of such violence in the world. Man's heart is filled with violence so much these days, that we think nothing of killing the most defenseless people in our society.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Re: 39% of New York city pregnancies end in abortion

That is a staggering figure. Wow.
    Psalm 19:14
    Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
      We desperately need a law to protect these children.

Man's heart is filled with violence so much these days, that we think nothing of killing the most defenseless people in our society.
      Hard to reconcile these two statements though isn't it?

There is already a law against it, written by a much greater authority than any man-made law. We cannot legislate morality. If we try, we could perhaps save a few, but one can always go to another city, county or state, or it's driven underground causing even more problems.

The problem is bigger than abortions. Over 40% of the live births were to unwed mothers, 70-85% in some districts. The report also says the leading cause of death in people aged 15 to 34 is homicide. To me these numbers are symptomatic of entire communities that have lost hope.

We need to reach these people with the Gospel, in truth and love, somehow.

We need to reach out to the babies too. In a book “How Christianity Changed the World” by Alvin J. Schmidt, he described in Roman days instead of abortions, women would throw their newborns off a bridge into a river. Christians would be down there in boats with nets fishing the babies out and adopting them. Is there any equivalent today? I can imagine millions of Christian couples willing to adopt if they could be linked to the mothers considering an abortion. Would that help set the kind of example people need to see? Or do I have a wild imagination?
      In Christ,

-- Rev

“To preserve the government we must also preserve morals. Morality rests on religion; if you destroy the foundation, the superstructure must fall. When the public mind becomes vitiated and corrupt, laws are a nullity and constitutions are waste paper.” – Daniel Webster, 4th of July, 1800, Oration at Hanover, N.H.

Comment

Originally posted by RevLogos View Post
        Hard to reconcile these two statements though isn't it?

There is already a law against it, written by a much greater authority than any man-made law. We cannot legislate morality. If we try, we could perhaps save a few, but one can always go to another city, county or state, or it's driven underground causing even more problems.
        I don't buy that at all. We have laws against murder now and they work pretty good. Before abortion was legal, it protected the vast majority of babies from being killed.

Let me ask you this... should we just get rid of murder laws because we can't legislate morality? God didn't give government the sword in order to change people's hearts. It was to bring vengeance so as to prevent what was in man from getting out of control again.

The problem is bigger than abortions. Over 40% of the live births were to unwed mothers, 70-85% in some districts. The report also says the leading cause of death in people aged 15 to 34 is homicide. To me these numbers are symptomatic of entire communities that have lost hope.

We need to reach these people with the Gospel, in truth and love, somehow.
        Of course we do! Let me ask another question.

There is plenty of child abuse going on. Should we legalize it, say child prostitution, until we can get the perpetrator saved and it doesn't happen any more?

We need to reach out to the babies too. In a book “How Christianity Changed the World” by Alvin J. Schmidt, he described in Roman days instead of abortions, women would throw their newborns off a bridge into a river. Christians would be down there in boats with nets fishing the babies out and adopting them. Is there any equivalent today? I can imagine millions of Christian couples willing to adopt if they could be linked to the mothers considering an abortion. Would that help set the kind of example people need to see? Or do I have a wild imagination?
        Save a life does that. There are ministries out there now that help with adoptions over abortions.
        Matt 9:13
        13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
        NASU

Comment

In a book “How Christianity Changed the World” by Alvin J. Schmidt, he described in Roman days instead of abortions, women would throw their newborns off a bridge into a river. Christians would be down there in boats with nets fishing the babies out and adopting them. Is there any equivalent today? I can imagine millions of Christian couples willing to adopt if they could be linked to the mothers considering an abortion. Would that help set the kind of example people need to see? Or do I have a wild imagination?
          In theory it would be great. In reality, I read recently that there are more churches in America than there are American children needing families. Meaning that if one family from every church adopted one child domestically, we'd have no more children without families in our country. That doesn't seem like a lot to ask (I know at least three families in my small church who are pursuing domestic adoption, and two are looking for sibling groups), but it hasn't happened. So I wouldn't count too much on saving and finding homes for all the aborted children either, much as I'd love to see it happen.

As a side note: I'm not saying domestic adoptions are better than international; I just recently heard that figure and it struck me as pretty amazing. Don't know what the numbers are internationally.
          Give me one pure and holy passion
          Give me one magnificent obsession
          Give me one glorious ambition for my life:
          To know and follow hard after You.

Comment

I think this thread would be better served in Controversial Issues.

Thanks.
            Jeanne
            Refrain your voice from weeping, and your eyes from tears, for your work shall be rewarded declares the Lord, and they (your children) will come back from the land of the enemy. Jeremiah 31:16-17
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sometimes God lets you hit rock bottom so that you can discover He is the rock at the bottom

All the forces of darkness cannot stop what God has ordained. Isaiah 14:27

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanne D View Post
              I think this thread would be better served in Controversial Issues.

Thanks.
              Jeanne
              I agree.....................
              This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                I don't buy that at all. We have laws against murder now and they work pretty good. Before abortion was legal, it protected the vast majority of babies from being killed.

Let me ask you this... should we just get rid of murder laws because we can't legislate morality? God didn't give government the sword in order to change people's hearts. It was to bring vengeance so as to prevent what was in man from getting out of control again.

Of course we do! Let me ask another question.

There is plenty of child abuse going on. Should we legalize it, say child prostitution, until we can get the perpetrator saved and it doesn't happen any more?
                I would like to think we could have a debate on this without throwing in obvious strawmen like shall we make murder legal, or child abuse. These all fall well into Natural Law. You can do better than that.

The link was to a report that is showing entire dysfunctional communities where the leading cause of death is homicide, where more than 40% of households are single parent and where abortion rates are astronomical. Human life is not particularly precious here. One could try to make abortions less legal but that would be like giving aspirin to a cancer patient. The pathology is much greater than the symptom of abortions.

We live in a country that has rejected the notion that human life exists prior to the point of viability. Or at least the Supreme Court has. Shall we continue to bang our head against that wall or shall we look to the root causes? How did legislating sin from the great Christian temperance movement a century ago work out?

And these pathologies continue to lead this country into other areas of social decline like eliminating marriage as we know it, legalizing pot, legalizing prostitution, expanding gambling, and really decadent TV programming...

The only way people will understand the sanctity of life is through God. The only way to transform people is through Jesus. And even if we do want to make abortion illegal, and stem the tide in these other areas through legislation, we still need to transform people first because it is these people who become the politicians and judges who ultimately write and interpret these laws.

We are not in desperate need of new laws. We are in desperate need of transforming lives through the Gospel of Christ.
                In Christ,

-- Rev

“To preserve the government we must also preserve morals. Morality rests on religion; if you destroy the foundation, the superstructure must fall. When the public mind becomes vitiated and corrupt, laws are a nullity and constitutions are waste paper.” – Daniel Webster, 4th of July, 1800, Oration at Hanover, N.H.

Comment

We are not in desperate need of new laws. We are in desperate need of transforming lives through the Gospel of Christ.
                  Actually I think you're both right. It doesn't have to be an 'either / or' thing. We need both, whether one happens before the other or simultaneously.
                  analyze. synthesize. repeat.

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

Comment

Isn't all law knit inextricably to morality in some form?
                    The Rookie

Twelve is the number of government. Thus, it is quite apropos that I am on my way towards wielding the power of twelve bars - each bar like, say, a tribe.....or a star.....or, maybe an apostle. A blue apostle. Like apostle smurfs. Does anyone remember smurfs? And all the controversy about them being from the devil? It's probably bad that I juxtaposed "apostle" and "smurf" in the same sentence. But then, I probably lost you at "blue apostle". Yes, my friends, this is what "rare jewel of a person" is actually implying. "Rare Jewel of a Person" really means, "Potentially Insane".

Comment

Originally posted by the rookie View Post
                      Two words... "Tax Law".

That being said, how can these communities be hopeless? I thought that there would be enough hopium to go around.
                      For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

Or one word....

"Control."

Comment

If you've been listening to our President, then yes, all tax law is knit to morality...
                          The Rookie

Twelve is the number of government. Thus, it is quite apropos that I am on my way towards wielding the power of twelve bars - each bar like, say, a tribe.....or a star.....or, maybe an apostle. A blue apostle. Like apostle smurfs. Does anyone remember smurfs? And all the controversy about them being from the devil? It's probably bad that I juxtaposed "apostle" and "smurf" in the same sentence. But then, I probably lost you at "blue apostle". Yes, my friends, this is what "rare jewel of a person" is actually implying. "Rare Jewel of a Person" really means, "Potentially Insane".

Comment

I would say it's knit into a 'sense of morality' (ambiguous). That is why I can't convince anyone to follow Nietzsche, no matter how hard I try. The problem is that their 'moral sensabilities' are offended - though they don't know why, and can't explain it, and won't forsake it. It just is, and to say otherwise is unheard of (I've been told as much many times here.) The question is, what moral beliefs are 'properly basic', and what find form in particular culture?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
                              Or one word....

"Control."
                              Which leads to 3 more words:
                              "Health Care reform"
                              .......................John 3:16.........................

My testimony:http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112657I hope that it inspires one and all

Comment

Working...
                              X