Sounds like a humanitarian crisis.

Send in the cruise missiles.

Comment

Re: Another big quake - this time in Myanmar

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
      Sounds like a humanitarian crisis.

Send in the cruise missiles.
      That'll teach those faults.
      Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
      Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

Originally posted by teddyv View Post
        That'll teach those faults.
        It's the faults fault.
        If Satan can keep us busy swinging our swords at one another, there is no hope of a united attack on the kingdom of darkness. KJV, NIV, ESV or ABCDEFG; there is no time to bicker over such things. We'll devour each other if allowed to continue. We should grab the marching orders written in the way we best understand and get to work.

Andrew_no_one

Comment

These things are coming in thick and fast now. It's getting to the point where every time one checks the news you kind of "expect" another disaster somewhere. When we opened this forum at the beginning of the year (two months ago!) we expected there would be a need for it, but not like this. All I can say is things are happening a lot faster than I thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/wo...r=1&src=twrhp:

BANGKOK — A strong earthquake of magnitude 6.8 struck northeastern Myanmar Thursday evening near the borders of Thailand and Laos, shaking buildings as far away as Bangkok, 900 miles to the south.
          Time's up

Comment

I am not surprised..in fact I expected other earthquakes sooner because big ones like the one in Japan usually sets off more since the plates are all connected...here is a map showing the ring of fire: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pa...ng_of_Fire.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ring_of_Fire

The Ring of Fire is a direct result of plate tectonics and the movement and collisions of crustal plates. The eastern section of the ring is the result of the Nazca Plate and the Cocos Plate being subducted beneath the westward moving South American Plate. The Cocos Plate is being subducted beneath the Caribbean Plate, in Central America. A portion of the Pacific Plate along with the small Juan de Fuca Plate are being subducted beneath the North American Plate.

Along the northern portion the northwestward moving Pacific plate is being subducted beneath the Aleutian Islands arc. Further west the Pacific plate is being subducted along the Kamchatka Peninsula arcs on south past Japan. The southern portion is more complex with a number of smaller tectonic plates in collision with the Pacific plate from the Mariana Islands, the Philippines, Bougainville, Tonga, and New Zealand; this portion excludes Australia, since it lies in the center of its tectonic plate. Indonesia lies between the Ring of Fire along the northeastern islands adjacent to and including New Guinea and the Alpide belt along the south and west from Sumatra, Java, Bali, Flores, and Timor.

The famous and very active San Andreas Fault zone of California is a transform fault which offsets a portion of the East Pacific Rise under southwestern United States and Mexico. The motion of the fault generates numerous small earthquakes, at multiple times a day, most of which are too small to be felt. The active Queen Charlotte Fault on the west coast of the Queen Charlotte Islands, British Columbia, Canada, has generated three large earthquakes during the 20th century: a magnitude 7 event in 1929, a magnitude 8.1 occurred in 1949 (Canada's largest recorded earthquake) and a magnitude 7.4 in 1970.

I haven't heard of any reports of damage or deaths...yet anyway.

Hope not!
            "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

We who live on the San Andreas have taken notice.

Again.

(We're very exciting people)

Comment

Originally posted by IMINXTC View Post

Again.

(We're very exciting people)
                Oh yea..I can image...

While we don't have quakes here..this time of year we get 'tornado ready'... Which reminds me I really need to get some flashlights, and other stuff put down in the basement so when the time comes, I won't have to run around looking for them along with grabbing everything we need. I usually get a couple of sacks and hand one to my son and I take one and we put in things we would need if the house got blown away...and things we wouldn't want to lose (we do this when the weather warnings come out) so when the sirens go off we can just grab out sack and run downstairs! fun, fun... not.

God bless
                "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Thing is... the fault in Japan was one that they didn't know existed... until that massive quake. Imagine... even with all our technology... God still chucks curve balls that they just can't hit.

It is getting thicker and will get even more intense as the year moves forward. Me, being me, just has to say this... it will be interesting to hear all the folks who say "it's just a pattern"... "this stuff happens throughout history" etc. It's like the storm of the century stuff... problem is that we've had a few of those this year alone. Thing about storms like that... they happen once every 100 years or so. Not four or five times in one year. Even heard a guy on the weather channel say that there was a time when thunder snow storms were rare. This year they were as common as a southern rain in April.

Visit our new website
                  ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                  "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                    Thing is... the fault in Japan was one that they didn't know existed... until that massive quake. Imagine... even with all our technology... God still chucks curve balls that they just can't hit.

It is getting thicker and will get even more intense as the year moves forward. Me, being me, just has to say this... it will be interesting to hear all the folks who say "it's just a pattern"... "this stuff happens throughout history" etc. It's like the storm of the century stuff... problem is that we've had a few of those this year alone. Thing about storms like that... they happen once every 100 years or so. Not four or five times in one year. Even heard a guy on the weather channel say that there was a time when thunder snow storms were rare. This year they were as common as a southern rain in April.
                    Where did you hear this was a fault they didn't know about? Not long ago they showed a map where three fault lines are right by Japan. Is there a fourth? I would be interested in reading that.

As far as the other stuff you wrote..I am in a wait and see mode right now concerning the earthquakes. When that horrible one hit the day after Christmas in Indonesia there were others because big ones set off others. In checking the data on the earthquakes a year ago (haven't checked recently but I will) there has been no increase in the amount or size of them...I doubt their will be now, unless a true increase happens. I see nothing wrong with looking at the facts..and the stats show there haven't been any changes in their patterns.

In reading in history about massive earthquakes in the past, there have been much, much worse. I am not discounting these...because I think they play a part in a bigger picture that is going on. But if I went solely by these earthquakes as being a marker to anything...so far they aren't out of the ordinary. That is just fact. Jesus never says there will be an increase in earthquakes or in their intensity. He only says they will happen in varies places. Which is why the rest of what He says needs to be considered..not a couple of words.

The reason they appear to be worse is because their are more of us..more people living in earthquake areas so more get hurt, killed and their is more damage. Would we have the same reaction if no one even lived in Japan..it was just some remote island? Probably not. Would we be concerned if no one lived in Myanmar either? Probably not.

God bless

Comment

They were talking about it on the news this morning.

Visit our new website
                      ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                      "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Re: Another

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                        They were talking about it on the news this morning.
                        Ok ..this is all I have found so far...talking about an undiscovered one a couple of years ago...the idea though it still frightening.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/22/sc...anted=1&src=me
                        This was not the first time scientists have underestimated the ferocity of an earthquake fault. Many were also caught by surprise by the magnitude-9.1 quake in 2004 off Sumatra, which set off tsunamis radiating across the Indian Ocean, killing more than 200,000 people.

Sometimes, scientists are blindsided by earthquakes because they occur along undiscovered faults. The deadly earthquakes in New Zealand this year; in Haiti last year; in Northridge, Calif., in 1994; and in Santa Cruz, Calif., in 1989 all happened along faults that scientists were unaware of until the ground shook.

“It’s shameful, but we’ve barely scratched the surface,” said Ross Stein, a geophysicist with the United States Geological Survey. In California, for instance, scientists have cataloged 1,400 faults, yet for smaller earthquakes — magnitude 6.7 or less — about one in three still occur on previously unknown faults.

“Humbling,” Dr. Stein said.

That raises a worrisome question: How many major quakes are lurking in underestimated or unknown faults?

The basic dynamics of earthquakes have been understood for decades. Earth’s crust is broken into pieces — tectonic plates — which slide and collide. But the sliding is not always smooth. When the plates stick together, they begin to buckle. Stress builds until the ground breaks and jumps, releasing energy in the form of vibrations: an earthquake. Not surprisingly, places close to plate boundaries are beset by earthquakes, while those far from the boundaries are not earthquake-prone.

The largest earthquakes occur in subduction zones, places where an ocean plate collides with and slides under a continental plate, particularly around the edge of the Pacific Ocean.

Comment

Re: Another

That ain't nothing. I don't pretend to understand all the science behind it but it is like that New Madrid area in Missouri/Tn (Memphis area)... that's the scary one. Unlike normal faults... these, of the same magnitude, do far greater damage over a far greater area. It hasn't been a major issue since the 1800's but scientist are thinking it is due and acting a bit skeewaddy of late. In comparrison to the San Fran earthquake... same magnitude... this quake was even felt as far away as New York. It was felt in more than half the states in the US. Mind you too... this was pre-major population and whatnot. Shook so hard that even the Mississippi flowed north for a little while.... that's been recorded even as far up as Minnesota from way back. Messed with the loggers big time! Anyway.. it's going to increase and we're not immune. You have to worse case scenario's here in the US. New Madrid is one of those as well as the Cascadia up in the NorthWest. Both scientist figure are going to pop with major quakes anytime between today and the next 30 years. I suspect we'll see it within a year or thereabout. The earth is travailing. If the church would travail as seriously... we'd be on to something.

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Originally posted by IMINXTC View Post
                            Many years ago we lived near the mines and there were regular tremors from underground explosions and cave-ins etc and it really freaked me out. I need solid ground ...would be a head case if I lived in your neighborhood
                            Time's up

Comment

Originally posted by bdh View Post
                              Many years ago we lived near the mines and there were regular tremors from underground explosions and cave-ins etc and it really freaked me out. I need solid ground ...would be a head case if I lived in your neighborhood
                              Haha, you should feel it when they go off and your there when it set off or you yourself set them off...wow....so i can only imagine a really powerful earthquake.
                              Theres also not much more to drive fear into miners/people underground than an earthquake.

Comment

Working...
                              X