At Last! A Common Sense Law!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Last! A Common Sense Law!!

A new law, which goes into effect July 1, will require the Florida Department of Children and Family Services to perform drug tests on adults applying to the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. Welfare recipients will be responsible for the cost of the screening, but will regain the money in their assistance if they qualify. Those who fail the drug test may deligate another person to receive the benefits on behalf of their children.

Some Democrats are furious over the new legislation. CNN reports that one Democrat even deemed the bill “downright unconstitutional.” "'Indeed, investigating people when there is probable cause to suspect they are abusing drugs is one thing,' Rep. Corinne Brown said in a joint statement," as mentioned by CNN. "'But these tests amount to strip searching our state's most vulnerable residents merely because they rely on the government for financial support during these difficult economic times.'"

Can a simple drug test truly be considered “strip searching” though? Employers perform drug tests on their most loyal employees all the time.

Gov. Rick Scott says it’s “’unfair for Florida taxpayers to subsidize drug addiction,’” as noted by CNN. "’It's the right thing for citizens of this state that need public assistance. We don't want to waste tax dollars. And also, we want to give people an incentive to not use drugs.’"

Link:
    Florida Governor Signs Welfare Drug Screening into Law - For What It's Worth - Comcast.net

http://xfinity.comcast.net/finance/f...cid=hero_media
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Re: At Last! A Common Sense Law!!

I think this is a good law. I don't see what is unconstitutional about this. If you are going to the government for assistance, they should be willing to follow whatever guidelines are set to receive this assistance.

Yes, very smart with a lot of common sense.

Comment

I think this is a good law. I don't see what is unconstitutional about this.
      I'm going to guess this is what people think makes it unconstitutional -

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Comment

At my job, I was required to take and pass a drug test as a condition of employment. I don't feel that it was unconstitutional. If a person is going to the government for assistance, I don't see the problem with the gov't asking these people to take a drug test. If they pass the test, they get their money back anyway. If they don't, oh well.

Makes perfect sense to me............but what do I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Tension View Post
          At my job, I was required to take and pass a drug test as a condition of employment. I don't feel that it was unconstitutional. If a person is going to the government for assistance, I don't see the problem with the gov't asking these people to take a drug test. If they pass the test, they get their money back anyway. If they don't, oh well.

Makes perfect sense to me............but what do I know.
          One of the many reasons I want to move back to South Florida ASAP!
          Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.

Comment

What if they can't afford the upfront cost of the drug test?

Not saying it is a bad thing, just asking if someone already dead broke can't afford the upfront cost, even being reimbursed is not really helping because one can't afford it in the first place thus is shut out of the assistance?

sigpic

Comment

That sounds good, but if you can afford to pay for the test, why do you need the assistance? I think it is a 'sounds good' law that is just going to go nowhere except to discourage families that need help. I like the idea of drug screening, but the burden can be hard to impossible for those that need the help. It will, however, provide 'jobs' for those performing the tests...but then, 'zero tolerance' laws can boomeranging...

In many ways this sounds like a Catch-22 law....
              God happens!
              'I Can Only Imagine'

Bless the Beasts and the Children:
              http://youtu.be/AhR36gV6vW4

On cautionary note:
              Originally posted by ProjectPeter
              When they say something... it is about anyone's guess what it is they really mean... but NEVER ask for clarification of their mysterious language... they are often very happy to give it and that's when the discussion goes FREAKY!

Comment

I can't see anything negative about this at all. I also had to do a drug test before I got my job. And I have to WORK for my money.
                This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

At my job, I was required to take and pass a drug test as a condition of employment. I don't feel that it was unconstitutional.
                  It wasn't. And it has nothing to do with this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post
                    I can't see anything negative about this at all. I also had to do a drug test before I got my job. And I have to WORK for my money.
                    Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cornflake View Post
                      It wasn't. And it has nothing to do with this situation.
                      As I said earlier, this proposal makes perfect sense......but what do I know.

So, why don't you enlighten us, oh learned one.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornflake View Post
                        I'm going to guess this is what people think makes it unconstitutional -
                        "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
                        Its not unreasonable. Thats the reason the TSA can do what it does, courts have ruled it legal, although they haven't heard a case about scanners yet.
                        Don't bother quoting me, I'll go back and correct my posts about a dozen times so I can fix all the dumb mistakes, typos, and parts that don't make sense, once I'm done then you can quote it.

Comment

Originally posted by Diggindeeper View Post
                          A new law, which goes into effect July 1, will require the Florida Department of Children and Family Services to perform drug tests on adults applying to the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. Welfare recipients will be responsible for the cost of the screening, but will regain the money in their assistance if they qualify. Those who fail the drug test may deligate another person to receive the benefits on behalf of their children.

Some Democrats are furious over the new legislation. CNN reports that one Democrat even deemed the bill “downright unconstitutional.” "'Indeed, investigating people when there is probable cause to suspect they are abusing drugs is one thing,' Rep. Corinne Brown said in a joint statement," as mentioned by CNN. "'But these tests amount to strip searching our state's most vulnerable residents merely because they rely on the government for financial support during these difficult economic times.'"

Can a simple drug test truly be considered “strip searching” though? Employers perform drug tests on their most loyal employees all the time.

Gov. Rick Scott says it’s “’unfair for Florida taxpayers to subsidize drug addiction,’” as noted by CNN. "’It's the right thing for citizens of this state that need public assistance. We don't want to waste tax dollars. And also, we want to give people an incentive to not use drugs.’"

Link:
                          Florida Governor Signs Welfare Drug Screening into Law - For What It's Worth - Comcast.net

http://xfinity.comcast.net/finance/f...cid=hero_media
                          At last a law that I have been saying should be in existence for as long as I've understood the system. I've known sooo many people on assistance and on drugs too.
                          And I don't know the democrats are crying about this, they aren't crying about us working folks having to take the same test in order to get a JOB. Why should they find it offensive that someone who is using our tax dollars should be drug tested? Personally, I think they should do it every 3-6 months, and it should be DNA testing....because you can find evidence of drug use in DNA for anywhere from 3-6 months.
                          Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Saved7 View Post
                            At last a law that I have been saying should be in existence for as long as I've understood the system. I've known sooo many people on assistance and on drugs too.
                            And I don't know the democrats are crying about this, they aren't crying about us working folks having to take the same test in order to get a JOB. Why should they find it offensive that someone who is using our tax dollars should be drug tested? Personally, I think they should do it every 3-6 months, and it should be DNA testing....because you can find evidence of drug use in DNA for anywhere from 3-6 months.
                            Hit that one waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of the park here!! Great post!!

Comment

Will they also be bringing out a tests, for alcohol use, gluttony, gambling, tobacco, etc, etc, etc?

Comment

Working...
                              X