Belgium considering new euthanasia law for kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belgium considering new euthanasia law for kids

Should children have the right to ask for their own deaths?In Belgium, where euthanasia is now legal for people over the age of 18, the government is considering extending it to children something that no other country has done. The same bill would offer the right to die to adults with early dementia.
    Advocates argue that euthanasia for children, with the consent of their parents, is necessary to give families an option in a desperately painful situation. But opponents have questioned whether children can reasonably decide to end their own lives.
    Belgium is already a euthanasia pioneer; it legalized the practice for adults in 2002. In the last decade, the number of reported cases per year has risen from 235 deaths in 2003 to 1,432 in 2012, the last year for which statistics are available. Doctors typically give patients a powerful sedative before injecting another drug to stop their heart.
    Only a few countries have legalized euthanasia or anything approaching it.
    In the Netherlands, euthanasia is legal under specific circumstances and for children over the age of 12 with parental consent.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/health/belgiu...ids-8C11512194

I just find this so disturbing !!!

Re: Belgium considering new euthanasia law for kids

Originally posted by MichelleH View Post
    That is so wrong!

Jeanne
    Refrain your voice from weeping, and your eyes from tears, for your work shall be rewarded declares the Lord, and they (your children) will come back from the land of the enemy. Jeremiah 31:16-17
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes God lets you hit rock bottom so that you can discover He is the rock at the bottom

All the forces of darkness cannot stop what God has ordained. Isaiah 14:27

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanne D View Post
      That is so wrong!

Jeanne
      It is easier to think it is wrong when we are not the ones suffering.

To have the shoe on the other foot might color our views a bit.

I can see that some people believe it is better to let a person shoot himself in the head or run his car into a tree rather than let a doctor administer the lethal dose peacefully. However, we must remember that those who have never suffered in the degree that some who wish to die have will have a difficult time understanding.
      Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
      George Orwell

www.r2ucv.com

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post

I can see that some people believe it is better to let a person shoot himself in the head or run his car into a tree rather than let a doctor administer the lethal dose peacefully. However, we must remember that those who have never suffered in the degree that some who wish to die have will have a difficult time understanding.
        In Belgium they have euthanized people over depression.

I think it's upsetting because it leaves the door open for people to decide it for their children, they base decisions on quality of life.

I will say since my sister's death I am very against the idea of any doctor giving euthanasia to any depressed person.

Doctor's are supposed to be healers.

Today euthanasia is more often granted to people suffering from mental illnesses like chronic depression, schizophrenia, chronic anorexia nervosa and borderline personality disorder, etc.The law requires that a patient’s free decision has to be established before medical doctors can give the lethal injections.
        My mother suffered from chronic depression. Two years ago she broke off all contact with me. In April 2012 she was euthanased at the hospital of Vrije Universiteit Brussel (the Free University of Brussels).
        I was not involved in the decision-making process and the doctor who gave her the injection never contacted me.
        http://www.mercatornet.com/articles/...my_mother_died

Comment

I watched my father suffer his last days on this earth and I prayed that God would take him, when he was ready (spiritually).
          I don't take pleasure in anyone's suffering, but God is the giver of life and He is the one who should decide when it's time to go.
          Euthanasia is suicide and what if that is a sin punishable by hell? I wouldn't take the chance because suffering here on earth is a picnic compared to suffering for eternity.

Jeanne
          Refrain your voice from weeping, and your eyes from tears, for your work shall be rewarded declares the Lord, and they (your children) will come back from the land of the enemy. Jeremiah 31:16-17
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sometimes God lets you hit rock bottom so that you can discover He is the rock at the bottom

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanne D View Post
            I watched my father suffer his last days on this earth and I prayed that God would take him, when he was ready (spiritually).
            I don't take pleasure in anyone's suffering, but God is the giver of life and He is the one who should decide when it's time to go.
            Euthanasia is suicide and what if that is a sin punishable by hell? I wouldn't take the chance because suffering here on earth is a picnic compared to suffering for eternity.

Jeanne
            The last I checked, suicide is not the unpardonable sin. Can you think of a verse that says that suicide is a sin?

Right now, I can't think of one. I know that the catholic church has declared it to be one that causes damnation, but I have not seen their justification for that decision.

Does anyone else find it strange that we are not permitted to choose our own time of death? We can choose that time for others, though. Through the court system, we choose it for criminals when we think the crime is severe. According to law, mothers can choose it for their unborn infants.

I think both of those are more problematic than choosing our own time.
            Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
            George Orwell

www.r2ucv.com

Comment

The last I checked, suicide is not the unpardonable sin. Can you think of a verse that says that suicide is a sin?

Right now, I can't think of one. I know that the catholic church has declared it to be one that causes damnation, but I have not seen their justification for that decision.

Does anyone else find it strange that we are not permitted to choose our own time of death? We can choose that time for others, though. Through the court system, we choose it for criminals when we think the crime is severe. According to law, mothers can choose it for their unborn infants.

My sister committed suicide 4 1/2 months ago, it has been the most painful experience I have ever had.

I hope God forgives.

I don't believe in abortion or the death penalty.

On Euthanasia why not let God choose that time?

Comment

Can you prove that someone who commits suicide still goes to heaven? You haven't experienced that first hand and you can't communicate with those who have. I don't know what happens, but I won't take it for granted, because it's better to be safe than sorry. Why on earth would you take the chance? Once you cross over, there's no turning back.
                Life should be in God's hands not ours. I agree with you on most everything, but not this.

Jeanne

Comment

As I wrote earlier, those who have never been in the pit wishing to die can ever know how that feels. Let's say that I am probably more sympathetic to those who have suffered that experience. I myself have suffered that experience.

As for my understanding of the fate of those who have died via suicide, I offer this:

For other foundation can no man lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. But if any man buildeth on the foundation gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay, stubble; each man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it is revealed in fire; and the fire itself shall prove each man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work shall abide which he built thereon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as through fire.
                  1 Cor 3:11-15 (ASV)

Although I want so much to know that I have no unforgiven sin in my life when it ends, there is no guarantee of that. This verse speaks to me that there is a process where God can cleanse me if I fail to ensure that I am white as snow at the time of my death.

It really is OK if anyone disagree with me. I can be wrong, but my views on this are quite personal to me.

Please note that I am not speaking of the issue to permitting children to make that choice. That is a whole new ball of wax.
                  George Orwell

www.r2ucv.com

Comment

Working...
                  X