Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

PHILADELPHIA A couple who believes in faith-healing were sentenced Wednesday to 3 to 7 years in prison in the death of a second child who never saw a doctor despite being stricken with pneumonia.

Herbert and Catherine Schaible defied a court order to get medical care for their children after their 2-year-old son, Kent, died in 2009. Instead, they tried to comfort and pray over 8-month-old Brandon last year as he, too, died of treatable pneumonia.

''My religious beliefs are that you should pray, and not have to use medicine. But because it is against the law, then whatever sentence you give me, I will accept,'' Catherine Schaible, 44, told the judge. She added that her beliefs have since changed.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2014...s01&source=rss

Yet more reasons why I'm greatful I left the Charismatic movement in the 80s and not sorry that I did.

Re: Pa. couple face prison after sons' prayer deaths

"Their pastor, Nelson Clark, blamed Kent's death on a ''spiritual lack'' in the parents' lives, and insisted they would never seek medical care, even if another child was dying. "

IMO, this pastor should be serving time right along with them. These people were obviously brainwashed by him. But notice that the pastor takes no blame whatsoever, but instead says it was 'spiritual lack'' in the parents' lives. I'm surprised the pastor didn't blame it on the children as well, that they lacked faith to be healed, regardless that one was 8 months and the other was 2 years old, which would mean they had no faith to speak of, and that their well being was solely left up to others. And look what happened to them. Things like what happened to these children angers me if I'm going to be honest about it.

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post
      PHILADELPHIA — A couple who believes in faith-healing were sentenced Wednesday to 3 to 7 years in prison in the death of a second child who never saw a doctor despite being stricken with pneumonia.

Herbert and Catherine Schaible defied a court order to get medical care for their children after their 2-year-old son, Kent, died in 2009. Instead, they tried to comfort and pray over 8-month-old Brandon last year as he, too, died of treatable pneumonia.

''My religious beliefs are that you should pray, and not have to use medicine. But because it is against the law, then whatever sentence you give me, I will accept,'' Catherine Schaible, 44, told the judge. She added that her beliefs have since changed.

Yet more reasons why I'm greatful I left the Charismatic movement in the 80s and not sorry that I did.
      When I read this the first thing that comes to my mind is interpretations of people like Bill Nye from the left, He creates a labrynth of his own creation by not being able to read literature, and the same problem resides to those on the right-opposite ends of the spectrum, but the same fundamental mistake

Comment

PHILADELPHIA — A couple who believes in faith-healing were sentenced Wednesday to 3 to 7 years in prison in the death of a second child who never saw a doctor despite being stricken with pneumonia.

Give me a break with that last comment! That's about as inflammatory as one can get.
        Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

I wonder how many children they would have let die until they finally figured out their strategy was total nonsense.
          我们有这盼望,就像灵魂的锚,又稳当又坚固,通过幔子直进到里面。
          This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and reliable...
          (Hebrews 6:19 CNV / NASB)

Comment

This has nothing to do with a charismatic movement. This has everything to do with a deceiving spirit masquerading itself in what is perceived as a charismatic situation.

Dave, what you found is a prime example of the devils wiles and devices to harm Christians and the Kingdom of God. The whole situation has wrong all around it but this is an isolated situation, repeated periodically by satan's forces and even as high as his principalities... but this does not mean God does not move supernaturally. This isolated situation DOES show us how satan continues to steal, kill and destroy and how even those IN Christ, can be devoured bt his deceitful devices.
            --
            Slug1--out

~John 8:14 Jesus answered and said to them, “Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from and where I am going.~

~John 6:62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before?~ (Jesus is Eternal - existed before becoming a man)

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by ChangedByHim View Post
              Give me a break with that last comment! That's about as inflammatory as one can get.
              Then you have never walked in my shoes, nor experienced some of the craziness that I have. From my perspective I was only referring to me, not anyone else when I said that. If it was then inflammatory, then I guess it was inflammatory against myself. It would be nice every once in awhile, instead of folks jumping to conclusions, to first ask the person what they meant. And then if you don't like the answer, then perhaps one can jump to some conclusions. But i will say this though, it was never my intentions to paint anything with a broadbrush since I know full well that God is still working healings and miracles. But i say He's only doing it through people that He's anointed to do so. Obviously no one was anointed in the above tragedy with those 2 children, otherwise they would likely still be alive and they would have been healed. But since that didn't happen,the parents should have listened to the courts instead of their pastor and church. They broke the law believe it or not. But I did like Slug's answer. He took the time to try and explain things, rather than simply taking offense and proceeding from there. I'm not saying he didn't take offense of some kind. I'm just saying he handled it better IMO.

Comment

I guess they didn't have any substance to the things they hoped for, and wound up with no evidence for the things they did not see.

Comment

Originally posted by Senormac View Post
                  I guess they didn't have any substance to the things they hoped for, and wound up with no evidence for the things they did not see.
                  When people are taught "error" then that means they have faith in something that is not God and is thus, powerless. Thus why the devil deceives so many with such devices to keep the Body of Christ powerless.
                  --
                  Slug1--out

~John 8:14 Jesus answered and said to them, “Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from and where I am going.~

~John 6:62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before?~ (Jesus is Eternal - existed before becoming a man)

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Then you have never walked in my shoes, nor experienced some of the craziness that I have. From my perspective I was only referring to me, not anyone else when I said that. If it was then inflammatory, then I guess it was inflammatory against myself. It would be nice every once in awhile, instead of folks jumping to conclusions, to first ask the person what they meant. And then if you don't like the answer, then perhaps one can jump to some conclusions. But i will say this though, it was never my intentions to paint anything with a broadbrush since I know full well that God is still working healings and miracles. But i say He's only doing it through people that He's anointed to do so. Obviously no one was anointed in the above tragedy with those 2 children, otherwise they would likely still be alive and they would have been healed. But since that didn't happen,the parents should have listened to the courts instead of their pastor and church. They broke the law believe it or not. But I did like Slug's answer. He took the time to try and explain things, rather than simply taking offense and proceeding from there. I'm not saying he didn't take offense of some kind. I'm just saying he handled it better IMO.
                    It really has nothing to do with walking in your shoes. You slandered a whole movement based on a bizarre, extreme action by some fringe group. We should all be mindful of our words. I don't consider myself "charismatic" but you may consider me one since I speak in tongues and believe in miracles.
                    Some people don't mind contradicting themselves as long as they can keep disagreeing with you...

Comment

I am not aware of anyone in the Charismatic movement, except fringe nut cases, who say you cant go to the doctor.

Comment

"Their pastor, Nelson Clark, blamed Kent's death on a ''spiritual lack'' in the parents' lives, and insisted they would never seek medical care, even if another child was dying. "

IMO, this pastor should be serving time right along with them. These people were obviously brainwashed by him. But notice that the pastor takes no blame whatsoever, but instead says it was 'spiritual lack'' in the parents' lives. I'm surprised the pastor didn't blame it on the children as well, that they lacked faith to be healed, regardless that one was 8 months and the other was 2 years old, which would mean they had no faith to speak of, and that their well being was solely left up to others. And look what happened to them. Things like what happened to these children angers me if I'm going to be honest about it.
                        Pastors serving time for their preaching. Thats a wonderful idea. Actually, that about the worst idea I have ever heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Reynolds357 View Post
                          I am not aware of anyone in the Charismatic movement, except fringe nut cases, who say you cant go to the doctor.
                          Are you being serious or joking? I can't tell. Most of the Christian world considers anyone who speaks in tongues to be "charismatic" whether they consider themselves that nor not. I hope you are joking.

Comment

Originally posted by ChangedByHim View Post
                            Are you being serious or joking? I can't tell. Most of the Christian world considers anyone who speaks in tongues to be "charismatic" whether they consider themselves that nor not. I hope you are joking.
                            I am being serious. Why do you hope I am joking? I would consider speaking in tongues Charismatic by definition. The main denominations in the Charismatic movement are of the subset called Pentecostal. Most Pentecostals believe the same thing about healing that Baptists believe; "sometimes He will, sometimes He wont. Sometimes he does, sometimes He dont." I am Charismatic and particularly of The Word of Faith division of the Charismatic movement. I do not believe the extreme doctrines in the fringes of the movement, but I do believe most of what the founders of the movement believed. Not name calling, but I must use a name simply for date setting and clarification. I dont know of any other way to state it. (Pre-Copeland doctrine of the WOF movement is what I subscribe to) The movement really has two completely different belief systems,Pre-Copeland and Copeland influenced.

Comment

The way that you phrased your statement led me to misunderstand you brother.

Comment

Working...
                              X