Israeli spy to be set free by the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israeli spy to be set free by the US?

Wow. If this is true it is big news. I am not a fan of releasing convicted spies unless we can get back our own spies in return.

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - An Israeli spy serving a life sentence in the United States and groups of Palestinian prisoners could be freed under an emerging deal to salvage Middle East peace talks, sources close to the negotiations said on Monday.The sources, who spoke as U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry prepared to meet Israeli and Palestinian leaders, said under the proposed arrangement that Jonathan Pollard, a former U.S. Navy analyst caught spying for Israel in the 1980s, could be released by mid-April.
    In addition, Israel would go ahead with a promised release of a fourth group of Palestinians, among the 104 it pledged to free in a deal that led to the renewal of peace talks last July. Another group of jailed Palestinians would also go free - and the peace talks would be extended beyond an April 29 deadline, the sources said.
    (Reporting by Jeffrey Heller, Editing by Allyn Fisher-Ilan)

http://news.yahoo.com/u-could-free-i...164934422.html
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Re: Israeli spy to be set free by the US?

Why are all these people being freed? They all had their day in court and were convicted.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

Comment

I don't know Fenris. And we are freeing him in order to get Israel to free Palestinians. Doesn't make much sense to me. If I was Israel, I would wonder why the US was willing to set him free for Palestinians but not for something that would favor Israel.
      13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
      NASU

Comment

Apparently we asked the Israelis not to free terrorists with American blood on them. But if they killed Israelis we are ok with that. It's just crazy. How does freeing unrepentant terrorists from prison advance the cause of peace? And FWIW I am not a fan of linking Pollard to this madness either. He's also unrepentant.
        "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

Comment

I didn't think you would be. For the first time in my life, my government is scary. (I even wondered about posting that thought on a public forum. Does that make me paranoid or realistic?)
          NASU

Comment

I know it's amazing how far they're willing to go for a foreign policy success story. The rest of the world is coming apart at the seams but by golly they'll make peace between Israel and the Palestinians no matter what the price.

Isaiah 54

Comment

Am I reading this wrong, or did we agree to release a spy in exchange for prisoners who would have been released anyway?
              我们有这盼望,就像灵魂的锚,又稳当又坚固,通过幔子直进到里面。
              This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and reliable...
              (Hebrews 6:19 CNV / NASB)

Comment

Dunno. I think the Israelis are holding off on releasing any more Palestinian prisoners. Especially since it all seems to be for nothing.

Isaiah 54

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                  I didn't think you would be. For the first time in my life, my government is scary. (I even wondered about posting that thought on a public forum. Does that make me paranoid or realistic?)
                  haha this is the first time you've found the government to be scary?

Comment

In Israel's defense, why should they be the only one making concessions?

Isaiah 54

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post
                      In Israel's defense, why should they be the only one making concessions?
                      They shouldn't. But we shouldn't be releasing spies either without getting something big in return. What's amazing to me about this (and should be scary for Israel) is that the US is willing to release a spy in order to get something for the Palestinians. What????? That doesn't make sense to me at all. I guess they are saying it is for the overall peace process. Maybe. Who knows anymore.
                      NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                        They shouldn't. But we shouldn't be releasing spies either without getting something big in return.
                        We are getting something. Obama gets to brag about his foreign policy prowess. That's what this is all about anyway.

You know I'm not a fan of releasing Pollard, but the Israelis should push back.

Isaiah 54

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post
                          You know I'm not a fan of releasing Pollard, but the Israelis should push back.
                          Of course they should. I guess my main point is if I was an Israeli negotiator, my eyes would be wide open right now. IOW, the US was willing to release Pollard for what reason? For Israel's good? Or for the good of Palestine? Or both?
                          NASU

Comment

Because Obama needs a foreign policy success. No other reason.

Isaiah 54

Comment

Now this is interesting. An interview given by former SecDef Caspar Weinberger about his book-

Ironically, one major episode omitted from Weinberger's life story, is his pivotal involvement with the Jonathan Pollard spy case. Weinberger was called upon by the Judge to assess the damage Pollard did to national security. In our interview, Weinberger was asked why he skipped the incident. Weinberger casually replied,"Because it was, in a sense, a very minor matter, but made very important." Asked to elaborate, Weinberger repeated,"As I say, the Pollard matter was comparatively minor. It was made far bigger than its actual importance." Pressed on why the case was made far bigger than its actual importance, Weinberger replied,"I don't know why-it just was."
                              Doesn't change my opinion, but it's...interesting

Isaiah 54

Comment

Working...
                              X