Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Speech

Got to love Justice Thomas.

“I regret only that the plurality does not acknowledge that today’s decision, although purporting not to overrule Buckley, continues to chip away at its footings,” Justice Thomas write. “In sum, what remains of Buckley is a rule without a rationale. Contributions and expenditures are simply ‘two sides of the same First Amendment coin,’ and our efforts to distinguish the two have produced mere ‘word games’ rather than any cognizable principle of constitutional law.”

The supreme court ruled that government cannot limit speech by saying how many people a person can donate to. Justice Thomas rightly asked why not just get rid of the limits entirely and let someone speak as much as they wish with their money?

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2xkKE0H5T

Last edited by Brother Mark; Apr 2 2014, 04:16 PM. Reason: Because I just can't spell. Geesh.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Re: Free Speech

The master called "money" won the battle in the highest court of humans.

1 Tim 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.Matt 5:6

I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. John 13:15

Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
    And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
    Matt 25:46

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith,
    and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
    1 Tim 6:10

Comment

Originally posted by Protective Angel View Post
      I disagree. A man should be able to spend as much money as he wants to speak in this country. Religion has nothing to do with it. That's what the first amendment is all about. To limit a persons ability to speak with his money, is unconstitutional. The court will eventually over turn all of the campaign finance limits and they should.

1 Tim 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
      True! But that's got nothing to do with whether a man should be able to speak with his money for good or evil according to the constitution and law.
      13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
      NASU

Comment

I think the US is great, but if I choose between "mans laws" and "Gods laws", my answer is clear. God first. Man can not serve two masters.
        Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.Matt 5:6

Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
        And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith,

Comment

I think the US is great, but if I choose between "mans laws" and "Gods laws", my answer is clear. God first. Man can not serve two masters.
          If Abraham were here, with all his wealth, under our constitution, he should be able to spend that wealth to say all he wants to say about government, politics, religion, etc. God is not against that either. The ruling had nothing to do with "love of money" and everything to do with allowing people the freedom to spend that money for speaking.

Thank God the Supreme Court held that he is free to spend that money on political speech. It never should have been hindered to begin with by the government.
          NASU

Comment

Does politics serve God? How does it help the Kingdom?

How many of the lost will be brought to heaven by this "extra money"?

Luke 14:11 For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
            12 Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.
            13 But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:
            14 And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

Comment

Does politics serve God? How does it help the Kingdom?

How many of the lost will be brought to heaven by this "extra money"?
              Dude, would you have the supreme court rule differently?

Would you limit the money a man could spend to help elect those that would stop abortion?

Would you limit the money a man could spend to help keep religious freedom in this country?

Money never has and never will bring people into the kingdom. How a man spends that money may make a difference though.

Did David expand the kingdom of God through politics? Did Esther? Did Josiah?
              NASU

Comment

You have confused freedom with love of money. They are two different things.
                NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                  You have confused freedom with love of money. They are two different things.
                  Freedom is just that. Free to do.

Money is just that. Work to survive. A righteous and humble man should not need money to speak. His "words" should work just fine. He is free to speak whatever he chooses in this "great land". If I had ten billion dollars today, to speak on Jesus return and everyone should "get ready", DO YOU THINK more people will turn to Christ because of the MONEY OR THE SPEECH?

Our "words" are more important than any dollar amount. Those collecting the great money will be laughing all the way to the bank. It's PEOPLE's HEARTS that change things, NOT the money spent.

Change peoples hearts and more will get done.

Comment

Freedom is just that. Free to do.

Money is just that. Work to survive. A righteous and humble man should not need money to speak. His "words" should work just fine. He is free to speak whatever he chooses in this "great land". If I had ten billion dollars today, to speak on Jesus return and everyone should "get ready", DO YOU THINK more people will turn to Christ because of the MONEY OR THE SPEECH?
                    The supreme court is not about leading people to Christ. To expect them to "rule" in the Kingdom does not fulfill the purpose God gave them in Romans 13.

You do need money to speak. Money enables you to type on this board. If you really believed what you wrote, you would not use print, a computer, a telephone, etc. to "speak".

Change peoples hearts and more will get done.
                    The purpose of government is not to change men's heart.
                    NASU

Comment

The supreme court is not about leading people to Christ. To expect them to "rule" in the Kingdom does not fulfill the purpose God gave them in Romans 13.

You do need money to speak. Money enables you to type on this board. If you really believed what you wrote, you would not use print, a computer, a telephone, etc. to "speak".

The purpose of government is not to change men's heart.
                      Oh my brother and friend. Money does indeed help to spread the "word" of God. God's "word" is very powerful. God's word is, not his money.

It is true that "words" can be spread faster with money. "Thanks be to God" for all the ways to help spread the word. But that reminds me of another scripture.

Matt 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
                      20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
                      21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
                      22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
                      23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Will the extra money make them "understand" better?

Does the extra money choke the word?

Will the extra money help more scripture issues? Feeding the poor, stopping abortion. I pray so. BUT I'm afraid it will just be money that is lost forever. Like many who could have used that money to survive.

Will Joel Osteen now give millions to promote Christianity to politics.
                      What about Pat Robertson? How many "extra dollars" will he give, to "get his say"?

Comment

Oh my brother and friend. Money does indeed help to spread the "word" of God. God's "word" is very powerful. God's word is, not his money.

It is true that "words" can be spread faster with money. "Thanks be to God" for all the ways to help spread the word. But that reminds me of another scripture.
                        The church has a purpose and the government has purpose. The Supreme Court ruled rightly as government is concerned nor did they go against God's will in the ruling at all. There was no endorsement of sin. Just an endorsement of freedom for a man to spend the money God gifted him with in the political arena.

Money didn't win here. Freedom did.
                        NASU

Comment

There was no endorsement of sin. Just an endorsement of freedom for a man to spend the money God gifted him with in the political arena.

Money didn't win here. Freedom did.

John Edwards had the "freedom" to tell the truth many times. He did not "endorse his sin" til in court. Yet the dollars spent to hide his sin were spent.

A man and family we all believed was right. BUT the money covered it? His sin came out.

Are you not afraid of the enemy? What about Russia backing a US citizen for president? Billions maybe even trillions of money spent on a candidate no one has even heard of. Much like Obama coming out of nowhere to win. The enemy is out there. Freedom is for everyone in the United States. It's a scary thing to think of all the foreign people in this "free to what you want" country, running around.

Comment

John Edwards had the "freedom" to tell the truth many times. He did not "endorse his sin" til in court. Yet the dollars spent to hide his sin were spent.

A man and family we all believed was right. BUT the money covered it? His sin came out.

Are you not afraid of the enemy? What about Russia backing a US citizen for president? Billions maybe even trillions of money spent on a candidate no one has even heard of. Much like Obama coming out of nowhere to win. The enemy is out there. Freedom is for everyone in the United States. It's a scary thing to think of all the foreign people in this "free to what you want" country, running around.
                            Russia does not have constitutional rights in our country. Those rights belong to citizens. Non-citizens don't have the right to vote, the right to free speech concerning campaigns for office, etc. in this country. Constitutionally, a US citizen has a right to speak about politics (or government or elections) through the TV, the newspaper, the radio, or any other form, regardless of how much money he may have to spend to do it.

The government, per the constitution, is not allowed to limit a citizen's speech. If it tells that citizen "you cannot buy adds on TV beyond X dollars" then they are limiting that man's speech and how many people he can speak to. Thankfully, the supreme court ruled rightly. Eventually, the entire campaign finance limits will go away completely.
                            NASU

Comment

Russia does not have constitutional rights in our country. Those rights belong to citizens. Non-citizens don't have the right to vote, the right to free speech concerning campaigns for office, etc. in this country. Constitutionally, a US citizen has a right to speak about politics (or government or elections) through the TV, the newspaper, the radio, or any other form, regardless of how much money he may have to spend to do it.

The government, per the constitution, is not allowed to limit a citizen's speech. If it tells that citizen "you cannot buy adds on TV beyond X dollars" then they are limiting that man's speech and how many people he can speak to. Thankfully, the supreme court ruled rightly. Eventually, the entire campaign finance limits will go away completely.
                              My brother and friend.

I wish we could "trust" everyone with their riches. There are those out there that sit on money to do satans work as well. Those are who I fear.

If everyone could be trusted with money and do what "we" thought was best, the country would have almost no corruption.

Yet Russia can't vote, BUT they can sure secretly back a US citizen for president. Doesn't that scare you? It does me.

Comment

Working...
                              X