UnitedHealth expects to lose nearly $1 billion on Obamacare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UnitedHealth expects to lose nearly $1 billion on Obamacare

UnitedHealth (UNH), which is weighing an exit from the Obamacare exchanges, reported it lost about $475 million on Obamacare-compliant plans in 2015 and expects to lose more than $500 million this year.

The insurer, the parent company of United Healthcare, ended last year with about 500,000 enrollees in Obamacare exchange plans. It expects that number to grow towards 800,000 during the 2016 open enrollment period, which ends Jan. 31, before dropping again as some members get jobs, stop paying premiums or find insurance elsewhere. (Also in 2015, it had about 150,000 enrollees who signed up outside the exchanges for individual policies that are compliant with Obamacare.)

UnitedHealth, which sat out the first year of Obamacare in 2014, said itis not looking to grow its exchange business. Instead, it has increased prices, eliminated marketing and commissions and withdrawn its top-tier products. In an effort to stem the losses, it is also working more closely with providers and enrollees to manage their illnesses and care. UnitedHealth warned in November that it might pull out of the Obamacare exchanges altogether in 2017, citing higher-than-expected claims. In particular, it blamed the large number of members signing up outside the open enrollment period who were using a lot of medical services.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/19/news...are/index.html
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Re: UnitedHealth expects to lose nearly $1 billion on Obamacare

I am telling you, Obama care is working exactly how Obama wants it to work. He wants it to be so bad that we will WELCOME single payer (true socialized medicine) to get out from under Obama care.

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
      UnitedHealth (UNH), which is weighing an exit from the Obamacare exchanges, reported it lost about $475 million on Obamacare-compliant plans in 2015 and expects to lose more than $500 million this year.

The insurer, the parent company of United Healthcare, ended last year with about 500,000 enrollees in Obamacare exchange plans. It expects that number to grow towards 800,000 during the 2016 open enrollment period, which ends Jan. 31, before dropping again as some members get jobs, stop paying premiums or find insurance elsewhere. (Also in 2015, it had about 150,000 enrollees who signed up outside the exchanges for individual policies that are compliant with Obamacare.)

UnitedHealth, which sat out the first year of Obamacare in 2014, said itis not looking to grow its exchange business. Instead, it has increased prices, eliminated marketing and commissions and withdrawn its top-tier products. In an effort to stem the losses, it is also working more closely with providers and enrollees to manage their illnesses and care. UnitedHealth warned in November that it might pull out of the Obamacare exchanges altogether in 2017, citing higher-than-expected claims. In particular, it blamed the large number of members signing up outside the open enrollment period who were using a lot of medical services.

So, I just wonder who will cover these loses for the insurance companies who lose money? Maybe they will just absorb the losses? Or maybe it will be some other way??

Comment

Originally posted by Simple Man View Post
        So, I just wonder who will cover these loses for the insurance companies who lose money? Maybe they will just absorb the losses? Or maybe it will be some other way??
        The losses will be covered from other revenue the company generates from its other premiums. So, you and I pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Reynolds357 View Post
          I am telling you, Obama care is working exactly how Obama wants it to work. He wants it to be so bad that we will WELCOME single payer (true socialized medicine) to get out from under Obama care.
          Exactly right. That's been the plan all along.

Comment

Originally posted by Simple Man View Post
            So, I just wonder who will cover these loses for the insurance companies who lose money?
            The middle class, who else?
            Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Reynolds357 View Post
              looks like the Bern has "perfect timing." Coincidence?

Comment

looks like the Bern has "perfect timing." Coincidence?
                Hardly. Single payer socialized medical care is what the liberal Democrats are aiming for. Let's not forget, the Republicans could have killed ObamaCare in Congress, but didn't. The establishment Republicans are to blame too.

Comment

That's sorta funny, in a way.

Rush Limbaugh said 4 years ago, if I recall correctly, that Obamacare was designed to run the insurance companies out of business.

Rush also claimed that the guvmint is temporarily paying the insurance companies to make up for part of their losses.
                  JER 14:13 Then said I: 'Ah, Lord GOD! behold, the prophets say unto them: Ye shall not see the sword, neither shall ye have famine; but I will give you assured peace in this place.'
                  JER 14:14 Then the LORD said unto me: 'The prophets prophesy lies in My name; I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spoke I unto them; they prophesy unto you a lying vision, and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their own heart.

Comment

As much debt as this nation is running up, in time it will take so much of our money just to pay the interest on it.

At some point, they will come to know you can't get blood from a turnip - even if you plug it full of IVs.

Comment

At least Rubio killed the slush fund Obama was going to ransom to the insurance companies who signed on to his wacky Ponzi scheme.

Comment

At least Rubio killed the slush fund Obama was going to ransom to the insurance companies who signed on to his wacky Ponzi scheme.
                        Really?

Where is the 500 billion dollar grant that disappeared for Solyndra?

What about the 735 million dollars given to Nancy Pelosi's brother-in-law for a solar power station named "Crescent Dunes?"

It seems to me that we have paid for a whole bunch of I-don't-know-what.
                        JER 14:13 Then said I: 'Ah, Lord GOD! behold, the prophets say unto them: Ye shall not see the sword, neither shall ye have famine; but I will give you assured peace in this place.'
                        JER 14:14 Then the LORD said unto me: 'The prophets prophesy lies in My name; I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spoke I unto them; they prophesy unto you a lying vision, and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their own heart.

Comment

I just read yesterday that another promise made by obama that illegal aliens would not receive any benefits from his healthcare nightmare is anything but true. About 750 million has gone to illegal aliens.

what congressmen or senator was that that yelled out "you lie" when obama made that claim? Yea, he was right - obama was just telling one more lie in a long list of lies.

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post
                            Really?

Where is the 500 billion dollar grant that disappeared for Solyndra?
                            It's running through Debbie Blabbermouth's Shultz's organization and being laundered right into Hillary's campaign fund, where else?

Comment

It's running through Debbie Blabbermouth's Shultz's organization and being laundered right into Hillary's campaign fund, where else?
                              Oh I can't stand that woman. She is about as dumb a person as I've ever seen. She can't even lie well. I wish so much she would get the democrat nomination. We could run the Cookie Monster and win against her.

Comment

Working...
                              X