Are Christians called to suffer? Yes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Christians called to suffer? Yes!

Here is a message from John Piper at the One Passion Conference, where he makes it abundantly clear from Scripture that Christians ARE called to suffer - challenging and encouraging in equal measures!

The link is from a Blog by one of the members on the Forum (New Creation), which I have checked out and is fine. The video is from www.illbehonest.com, which is also a fine and challenging Christian website.

http://thegreatcommission.wordpress.com/

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
    Here is a message from John Piper at the One Passion Conference, where he makes it abundantly clear from Scripture that Christians ARE called to suffer - challenging and encouraging in equal measures!

The link is from a Blog by one of the members on the Forum (New Creation), which I have checked out and is fine. The video is from www.illbehonest.com, which is also a fine and challenging Christian website.

http://thegreatcommission.wordpress.com/

This is the message we need to hear. We are in the midst of the great falling away were we seem to have eliminated the cross from Christianity altogether. It's good to know God always has a faithful remnant.
    Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.

Comment

Are Christains called to suffer?.Yes

2 Corinthians 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
      I peter 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
      When we suffer with Him and we are identified with Him ,we also will be glorified together. We shouldn not be ashamed of Our Lord and Christ.

Comment

Thanks so much for sharing this powerful message. I am finding out in my new walk with the LORD that praising Him in the midst of my struggles is the most comforting thing to experience!
        Thank You, Jesus for everything.

Comment

Philippians 1:27-30

Comment

1Pe 2:19 For this is a gracious thing, when, mindful of God, one endures sorrows while suffering unjustly.
            1Pe 2:20 For what credit is it if, when you sin and are beaten for it, you endure? But if when you do good and suffer for it you endure, this is a gracious thing in the sight of God.
            1Pe 2:21 For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps.

1Pe 4:1 Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same way of thinking, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,
            1Pe 4:2 so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions but for the will of God.

2Co 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
            2Co 12:10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

2Co 4:17
            For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison,

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

The last two refer to sanctification. I believe; however, that the two are related. In 2nd Corinthians we see Paul boasting in his infirmities and being content with suffering.
            How then can we become more like Paul, who suffered greatly but rests in the security of Christ Jesus and salvation.

Therein lies the answer to the question. Are we called to suffer. Yes. Only through our suffering are we able to magnify the power of Christ in our lives.

For when I am weak, then I am strong.

-Blessings

tt1106

Comment

Excellent responses, everyone - comforting and encouraging - what this Board is all about!

Comment

Christians are to do the works of the lord, in those works can come suffering. Blessed are those who suffer for the lords sake, they shall be blessed.

Comment

hello

dint go too far tho My God blesses ands encourages and brings healing ajd prosperity. Being saved isnt all doom and glolom

Comment

Our Lord learned obedience through suffering. We are not greater than our Master so we too will suffer. It is one of the ways he works the cross in us.
                    Matt 9:13
                    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                    NASU

Comment

Great message. The past year has been full of suffering, - death, my daughter's depressions and loss of income. It is easy to feel that God does not care since so many are the name it claim it group. Most Christians want to walk with the risen Lord, but how many want to be nailed to the cross? Jesus suffered and he understands our sufferings as well. Thank you Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkcandy View Post
                        dint go too far tho My God blesses ands encourages and brings healing ajd prosperity.
                        What do you mean by prosperity? Is it for the poor folks in the third world too?

Being saved isnt all doom and glolom
                        Piper isn't saying it's doom and gllom at all - in fact I know of no other preacher around today who makes more of knowing the joy of the LORD in EVERY circumstance - including suffering (maybe especially so in suffering).

Let me ask you: does your God intend you to suffer for your faith?

Comment

What do you mean by prosperity? Is it for the poor folks in the third world too?

Piper isn't saying it's doom and gllom at all - in fact I know of no other preacher around today who makes more of knowing the joy of the LORD in EVERY circumstance - including suffering (maybe especially so in suffering).

Let me ask you: does your God intend you to suffer for your faith?
                          Certainly he intends for us to suffer. But certainly he intends for us to prosper as well. It's both and not either or, IMO. There is a joy laid before us when the cross comes our way. If our Lord learned obedience by suffering so shall we. But he also experienced prosperity in the afterlife and in this life. Who knows if we will be like King David or Job or if we will be like Lazarus who died a beggar. Either way, there will be rewards both here and in the ever after.

IMO, the promised land is for the here and now. But we don't get there without first walking through the desert and learning it's lessons.
                          13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                          NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                            Certainly he intends for us to suffer. But certainly he intends for us to prosper as well. It's both and not either or, IMO. There is a joy laid before us when the cross comes our way.
                            Amen!

If our Lord learned obedience by suffering so shall we. But he also experienced prosperity in the afterlife and in this life.
                            Not materially! That's why I asked her to explain what she meant by prosperity.

Who knows if we will be like King David or Job or if we will be like Lazarus who died a beggar. Either way, there will be rewards both here and in the ever after.
                            Agreed, but I'm concerned the poster may think that she has a God-given right to material prosperity.

IMO, the promised land is for the here and now. But we don't get there without first walking through the desert and learning its lessons.
                            If we get the promised land now, then what is left for when we die....?

Comment

Not materially! That's why I asked her to explain what she meant by prosperity.
                              Sometimes, yes, materially. Scripture addresses that too. It's just that some take it too far.

Agreed, but I'm concerned the poster may think that she has a God-given right to material prosperity.
                              I wouldn't say all believers experience the same level of prosperity. Nor do all experience the same level of suffering.

If we get the promised land now, then what is left for when we die....?
                              Heaven is far greater than the promised land. Keep in mind that victory and war and overcoming occurred in the promised land. That is not a picture of heaven, but rather of a spirit filled life, IMO.
                              Last edited by Brother Mark; Jun 4th 2009, 03:35 AM.
                              NASU

Comment

Working...
                              X