Give scriptural encouragement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give scriptural encouragement.

Some time ago one of our members here asked we share with him scriptures of comfort and encouragement. That thread has long been inactive so I thought it would be good to start a new one in which we take turns sharing with one another for our edification and blessing at least one of our favorite scriptures of Comfort and/or Encouragement. Follow with a prayer if you like.

I'll start with one of my favorites - one which does comfort and encourage me.

John 14:27 (Words of Jesus) "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

My prayer is: [Lord Jesus, thank you for the peace which the world does not give.]

Please share one of yours..more if you like and more than once on the thread if you feel so inclined.

wiseoldowl
    "The flowers appear on the earth,
    the time of singing has come,
    and the voice of the turtledove
    is heard in our land
    ." SofS 2:12 (RSV)

1Pe 5:10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

(Psalm 46:10) “Be still, and know that I am God”

Comment

Jeremiah 29:11
        For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Comment

1 Timothy 1:15
          Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.

Comment

encouraged in heart

Colossians 2:2 NIV
            My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ,...

My prayer: [God, grant that every day we also be 'encouraged in heart and united in love', so that we may have better understanding, in order that we may grow in our knowledge of Jesus ]
            is heard in our land

Comment

I absolutely love the story of the leper who Jesus cleansed. In all three accounts, the leper says "if you will (or in modern speak, "if you want to") you can make me clean." And Jesus reaches out and says, "I want to. Be clean."

I just love the fact that Jesus WANTS to make us clean, and reaches out His hand to do so.

The story is in Matthew 8, verses 1 to four, Mark 1, verses 40 to 45, and Luke 5, 12 to 16.

When you think how outcast lepers were... Jesus reached out and TOUCHED him.

That comforts me so much, because Jesus still reaches out to cleanse us.

Here's the version from Matthew. Enjoy!

8:1 After he came down from the mountain, large crowds followed him. 8:2 And a leper 1 approached, and bowed low before him, saying, 2 “Lord, if 3 you are willing, you can make me clean.” 8:3 He stretched out his hand and touched 4 him saying, “I am willing. Be clean!” Immediately his leprosy was cleansed. 8:4 Then Jesus said to him, “See that you do not speak to anyone, 5 but go, show yourself to a priest, and bring the offering 6 that Moses commanded, 7 as a testimony to them.” 8
              Last edited by daughter; Oct 26th 2008, 02:11 PM.
              Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Psalm 91:4: He will comfort you with his pinions and under his wings you will find refuge. His faithfulness is a shield and Buckler.

Comment

A bruised reed He will not break, and smoking flax He will not quench.... Is 42:3 NKJV

I remember hearing a missionary home on furlough preaching over 20 years ago and he mentioned this verse, with the following simple yet profound application:-

Are you a bruised reed? God's not going to break you.

Are you a smoking flax? God's not going to snuff you out.

Beautiful.

Comment

Psalm 91 and Psalm 51 v10, 17.
                    Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

I am sharing my favorite passage in the forum of a video I did, if that is ok:

What is Love

Nice thread wiseoldowl!

God bless
                      "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post
                        I am sharing my favorite passage in the forum of a video I did, if that is ok:

What is Love

Nice thread wiseoldowl!

God bless
                        MG, This is very beautiful..1 Cor. 13..especially that last precious line..

"and the greatest of these is love."

So encouraging..

wiseoldowl
                        is heard in our land

Comment

Originally posted by wiseoldowl View Post
                          MG, This is very beautiful..1 Cor. 13..especially that last precious line..

"and the greatest of these is love."

So encouraging..

wiseoldowl
                          Thanks!

I was sitting here thinking I need to make another one...I had something in mind the other day, but I forgot what is was...

But I really should clean house...

My other favorite is Psalms 23

A Psalm of David.
                          1 The LORD is my shepherd;
                          I shall not want.
                          2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
                          He leads me beside the still waters.
                          3 He restores my soul;
                          He leads me in the paths of righteousness
                          For His name’s sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
                          I will fear no evil;
                          For You are with me;
                          Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
                          You anoint my head with oil;
                          My cup runs over.
                          6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
                          All the days of my life;
                          And I will dwell in the house of the LORD
                          Forever.

God bless
                          "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

phil 4:13 & galatians 2:20
                            Galatians 2:20
                            I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Comment

Psalms 34:17 NKJV

17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears,
                              And delivers them out of all their troubles.

This is one of the many verses I love in the bible and find great comfort in We cry out to the Lord and he hears us and he delivers us out of ALL not some. not half, but ALL of our troubles!

WOW! Thank God for Jesus!
                              I will sing of your works & your mighty ways
                              My Rock & My Salvation
                              Who will hide me in the time of trouble?
                              Who is like the lord, so full of gace and truth!

Comment

Working...
                              X