Forgetting the Old Hymns / The Saddest Thing In The World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPORTANT Forgetting the Old Hymns / The Saddest Thing In The World

We are loosing our faith today because we are loosing contact with the great theology that the hymns of yester-year once reminded of us as we hummed them in our day to day tasks. When I need encouragement I am often heard humming or even singing great hymns like It Is Well With My soul. Every time I remember the origin of that hymn I am brought to shame and to tears because of the author's strength as he wrote the lines on the back of an envelope.

The author had planned a trip from Chicago to New York to board a ship to vacation in England with his family when Mrs. O'Leary's cow kicked over the lantern and burned all his holdings to the ground in the great Chicago Fire. He sent his wife and daughters ahead for their holiday while he remained to rebuild and to salvage all that he could.

On the trip to England the ship sank. When his wife was saved and arrived in England she sent the telegram, "Saved, Alone!" As he sailed toward England he asked the captain to have him notified when they reached the sight of the sinking, the grave sight of his daughters. It is reported that in the still of the early hours of the morning, he stood on the bow, prayed, praised God and composed the hymn. Just typing it brings me to tears.

Following are the words to Trust And Obey. The words are full of the truth of the Gospel and when I am down and out of sorts it is a great piece to sing and to think on. When life really sucks, please, remember the hymns.

When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
    What a glory He sheds on our way!
    While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
    And with all who will trust and obey.

Refrain
    Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
    To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Not a shadow can rise, not a cloud in the skies,
    But His smile quickly drives it away;
    Not a doubt or a fear, not a sigh or a tear,
    Can abide while we trust and obey.

Refrain

Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,
    But our toil He doth richly repay;
    Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,
    But is blessed if we trust and obey.

Refrain

But we never can prove the delights of His love
    Until all on the altar we lay;
    For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows,
    Are for them who will trust and obey.

Refrain

Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet.
    Or we’ll walk by His side in the way.
    What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
    Never fear, only trust and obey.

Refrain

Hi th1bill

This is the very first time I heard this story. I woke up this morning being very discouraged. At first a felt overwhelmed by depression, and decided that I would rather get on the forum and search for inspirational Words.

When I started to read this thread, it brought tears to my eyes. Yes, it remininded me that it does not matter what happen in life, how alone one might feel, how angry and bitter. IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL, IF GOD IS STILL WITH ME.

This was so inspiring, thank you for sharing!
    Saved by Grace!

Praying for Mieke and Charles
    Cor 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation ; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

My testimony
    http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=149096

Comment

Originally posted by th1bill View Post
      We are loosing our faith today because we are loosing contact with the great theology that the hymns of yester-year once reminded of us as we hummed them in our day to day tasks.

...The words are full of the truth of the Gospel and when I am down and out of sorts it is a great piece to sing and to think on. When life really sucks, please, remember the hymns.
      Amen brother, yet not all of us are "loosing our faith"!

The great hymns of the faith are just that - great! I'm thankful we still sing them at church and at home, and as for me and my house we will continue to sing them until the Lord shows up. Each great hymn is a mini sermon in itself that speaks to the heart, filled with great doctrine about the deity of Christ, the blood, and the pure word of God, to name a few.

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
      - Matt -
      Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing
      of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13

Comment

Hey Bill, that's a beautiful hymn, and the story behind it only makes it more poignant. Do you have a name for the author?
        Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

That is one of my favorite hymns, if not my absolute favorite. The story behind it just speaks of incredible faith in the light of absolute dire and heartbreaking circumstances. This man had a revelation of his God, and would that we all had the same.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
          When sorrows like sea billows roll;
          Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
          It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
          Let this blessed assurance control,
          That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
          And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
          My sin, not in part but the whole,
          Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
          Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
          The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
          The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
          Even so, it is well with my soul.

- Words by Horatio G. Spafford, 1873
          - Music by Philip P. Bliss, 1876

Comment

You know, on a side note ... I know that God is always moving and always revealing Himself and doing new things, but in Scripture we see over and over where in the OT people made altars and land markers to remind themselves of encounters with God and His goodness to them.

I don't believe in living in the past or trying to repeat something in the flesh that can only happen by the Spirit alone, but we have such a rich heritage that it would behoove us to draw from believers that have passed on who have had a solid faith and a solid walk with the Lord and who kept their testimony until the very end. There is a reason certain hymns are treasured, because a price has been paid for them, and when we listen to them, we can sense the Presence of God on that person's life. We would do well to learn from their wisdom and draw from their experiences, because God has not changed. We are surrounded by such an amazing cloud of witnesses, people with strong faith and incredible lives with God, we should embrace that heritage and inheritance and build on it instead of always looking for the next next next thing, without fully appreciating what God has already done and what He has left for us through those gone before us.

Comment

We are loosing our faith today because we are loosing contact with the great theology that the hymns of yester-year once reminded of us as we hummed them in our day to day tasks. When I need encouragement I am often heard humming or even singing great hymns like It Is Well With My soul. Every time I remember the origin of that hymn I am brought to shame and to tears because of the author's strength as he wrote the lines on the back of an envelope.

The author had planned a trip from Chicago to New York to board a ship to vacation in England with his family when Mrs. O'Leary's cow kicked over the lantern and burned all his holdings to the ground in the great Chicago Fire. He sent his wife and daughters ahead for their holiday while he remained to rebuild and to salvage all that he could.

On the trip to England the ship sank. When his wife was saved and arrived in England she sent the telegram, "Saved, Alone!" As he sailed toward England he asked the captain to have him notified when they reached the sight of the sinking, the grave sight of his daughters. It is reported that in the still of the early hours of the morning, he stood on the bow, prayed, praised God and composed the hymn. Just typing it brings me to tears.

Following are the words to Trust And Obey. The words are full of the truth of the Gospel and when I am down and out of sorts it is a great piece to sing and to think on. When life really sucks, please, remember the hymns.

When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
              What a glory He sheds on our way!
              While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
              And with all who will trust and obey.

Refrain
              Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
              To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Not a shadow can rise, not a cloud in the skies,
              But His smile quickly drives it away;
              Not a doubt or a fear, not a sigh or a tear,
              Can abide while we trust and obey.

Refrain

Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,
              But our toil He doth richly repay;
              Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,
              But is blessed if we trust and obey.

Refrain

But we never can prove the delights of His love
              Until all on the altar we lay;
              For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows,
              Are for them who will trust and obey.

Refrain

Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet.
              Or we’ll walk by His side in the way.
              What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
              Never fear, only trust and obey.

Refrain
              I love those old hymns myself.

About the authorship.. The song above..thus "Trust and Obey" was written by John Sammis.

The story told, as is mentioned by the OP is written by Horatio B Spafford who wrote, "It is Well With My Soul."

It is really a wonderful story and >>

You can find information about Spafford and more of the story on the Glimpses of Christian History (website) - Horatio B. Spafford...

here: http://chi.gospelcom.net/GLIMPSEF/Gl...mpses210.shtml

wiseoldowl ... facilitator...C&E...
              "The flowers appear on the earth,
              the time of singing has come,
              and the voice of the turtledove
              is heard in our land
              ." SofS 2:12 (RSV)

Comment

Originally posted by daughter View Post
                Hey Bill, that's a beautiful hymn, and the story behind it only makes it more poignant. Do you have a name for the author?
                Words: Horatio Spafford, 1873. Music: Philip Bliss, 1876.

Comment

Words: Horatio Spafford, 1873. Music: Philip Bliss, 1876.
                  We checked this out and you are listing the writer of "It is Well with My Soul." and the story you mention refers to him, Horatio Spafford; but the song you quoted is "Trust and Obey," by John Sammis.

Here is the information on John Sammis as writer of "Trust and Obey."

http://library.timelesstruths.org/music/Trust_and_Obey/

They are both fine old hymns.
                  is heard in our land

Comment

This would be a good thread to share our favourite old hymns.

One of my favourites (makes me cry every time we sing the original version in church) "And Can it Be".

Sadly they tweak the lyrics in some churches and choirs, so instead of "pursuing Jesus to death," we simply "spurn His love." But the original though it's more savagely truthful, is also immensley more encouraging. Because I know what I did to my Lord, and this shows me the wonderful extent of His love.

Charles Wesley wrote some real doozies, didn't he?

1. And can it be that I should gain
                    an interest in the Savior's blood!
                    Died he for me? who caused his pain!
                    For me? who him to death pursued?
                    Amazing love! How can it be
                    that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
                    Amazing love! How can it be
                    that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

2. 'Tis mystery all: th' Immortal dies!
                    Who can explore his strange design?
                    In vain the firstborn seraph tries
                    to sound the depths of love divine.
                    'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore;
                    let angel minds inquire no more.
                    'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore;
                    let angel minds inquire no more.

3. He left his Father's throne above
                    (so free, so infinite his grace!),
                    emptied himself of all but love,
                    and bled for Adam's helpless race.
                    'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
                    for O my God, it found out me!
                    'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
                    for O my God, it found out me!

4. Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
                    fast bound in sin and nature's night;
                    thine eye diffused a quickening ray;
                    I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
                    my chains fell off, my heart was free,
                    I rose, went forth, and followed thee.
                    My chains fell off, my heart was free,
                    I rose, went forth, and followed thee.

5. No condemnation now I dread;
                    Jesus, and all in him, is mine;
                    alive in him, my living Head,
                    and clothed in righteousness divine,
                    bold I approach th' eternal throne,
                    and claim the crown, through Christ my own.
                    Bold I approach th' eternal throne,
                    and claim the crown, through Christ my own.
                    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sQeIGb...eature=related
                    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

In the mission field, we depend very heavilly on these classic hymns of the faith, and "Trust and obey" continues to be a favourite and pivotal song.

Though some would say, "you must modernize and seek out new musical genres," truth be known, these hymns convey spiritual truth and the salvation experience in such depth and ease, they could never be replaced, and certainly can be credited with helping to bring multitudes to the saving knowlege of Christ.

includes: "It is well," and "And can it be," as cited in this thread.

Comment

As a musician that God is allowing Satan to sift the first tune I have learned on the Harmonica, my new instrument, is God is Good. I learned it because it is a part of my everyday life and it is a simple number to play. The first big push to learn is, imo, one of the most inspirational hyms ever written.
                        ... In The Garden is a tune that I use to fortify myself with by putting on the full armor of God. I've never heard the origin of this number but I have listened to a China Pastor, called Pastor Lee. Pastor Lee served fifteen years in China's State Penal System for preaching the Gospel of Jesus, the Christ. Being a Church Leader it seemed to be very important to break him and there-by use him as an example, a living example.
                        ... Everyday Pastor Lee would be issued his hand tools and he would march off to his government assigned task. As he marched down into the open septic system h began to sing In the Garden. Pastor Lee said that just as in the song God met him there every day of those fifteen years and the song was his sanity, his health and spoke to the reason he continued to go forward, preaching the Gospel, every night in the prison. I often find myself in prayer with tears rolling down my cheeks and all I can think to pray is "thank-you, LORD!"

Comment

I've never heard that story before.... That's so amazing. It inspires me to REALLY dig deeper and deeper into the Word of God, and to dig my feet deeper into the Rock that I too may stand firm when trials come up. Thank you for sharing that story! That was amazing!

Comment

Just as I Am...

daughter has a good idea about sharing some good old hymns to bless one another...

Here is one of my favorites.

Just as I Am, Without One PleaText: Charlotte Elliott, 1789-1871
                            Music: William B. Bradbury, 1816-1868

Here are the words to "Just as I Am"

Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood was shed for me, and that thou bidst me come to thee,
                            O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, and waiting not to rid my soul of one dark blot, to thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,

Just as I am, though tossed about with many a conflict, many a doubt, fightings and fears within, without,

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind; sight, riches, healing of the mind, yea, all I need in thee to find,

Just as I am, thou wilt receive, wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve; because thy promise I believe,

Just as I am, thy love unknown hath broken every barrier down; now, to be thine, yea thine alone,

[I love this hymn which tells me how great is my Savior, Christ Jesus, to receive me "Just as I Am." ]

is heard in our land

Comment

Originally posted by HisLeast
                              Christianity was already very old by the time some of those hymns were new. I appreciate their value, but to me they have nothing to do with faith.
                              ... In reality the hymns of the past are so filled with the examples of faith that we would do well to learn them and to learn why they were written. Those hymns, unlike much of today's Christian Music are just loaded with the Gospel. I know of several folks that were led to the foot of the cross, just by listening to these numbers on the radio and at Saturday Night Sing-alongs.
                              ... When we become familiar with the old hymns we discover Miss Fanny Cosby. Miss Cosby was blinded as a very young child and yet she wrote hundreds of hymns and each number by her gives us insight into her life as she lived for Christ. Much of the model for my life comes from Miss Cosby, though blind from infancy she felt that she was blessed to be blind because the very first thing she recalls seeing is Jesus. If a precious lady like that can demonstrate such mercy, wisdom and character while never having seen this world how could an ex-bad boy like myself ever complain because the LORD has allowed Satan to afflict and to sift me?
                              ... You see, I draw great faith from the pieces of other's lives.

Comment

Working...
                              X