Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand God at times.

Sometimes I don't understand God.

Why aren't some of my prayers answered during certain situations?

Is God working or is he just saying no or what?

ANY comforting words?

You're not alone in the 'I don't understand God' department. His ways are far above our ways, and past our finding out.
    But, we know that He loves us, and with that comforting thought is the realization that because He loves us, He has our BEST interest in mind. And He knows the end from the beginning. We don't. We cannot see past the next minute.
    Sometimes, to be sure, His answer to our prayer is 'No', because He knows what will result if we were to receive what we ask for.
    Sometimes, His answer is 'Okay, but wait a little while', for the best time.
    What He really desires of us is simple faith, and trust that He WILL take care of us, and not lead us out into the desert to die.
    And when we DO place all our trust in Him, and believe His word and direction for our life, and act in obedience to that word, He blesses us.
    He enjoys blessing us, and providing for us. But He wants us to close our eyes to the world, and the 'wind and the waves' that threaten us, and just put our eyes on Him.

Comment

The Bible is chock full of comforting words!

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. "Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! - Matthew 7:7-11
      I just heard a sermon on this verse yesterday and it was really profound. Maybe you've already heard that God always answers our prayers with one of three answers: yes, no, or not yet. God interweaves the world together in ways we could never comprehend. Sometimes we don't understand His answers for a while and sometimes we never understand His answers. God promises us a lot of things, but He never promises that we'll understand His decisions! He tells us to trust that He knows what's best for us, whether we understand it or not.

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him;
      do not fret when men succeed in their ways,
      when they carry out their wicked schemes.

Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
      do not fret—it leads only to evil. - Psalm 37:7-8
      So, He goes on to tell us that even when we don't understand, we don't need to worry. If we are seeking Him in our lives, He's got us covered! He's watching out for us always.

Cast your cares on the Lord
      and he will sustain you;
      he will never let the righteous fall. - Psalm 55:22
      God gives it to us so simply. Put your trust in Him and we have nothing to worry about. I know it's not always so easy just to let go of situations, but God promises some pretty amazing things when we can fully surrender ourselves to Him!

The Psalms are full of comforting and encouraging verses. I'm not sure of your exact situation, but God does and He'll speak to your heart.
      "I just like to smile! Smiling's my favorite!" - Buddy the Elf

My Blog

Pray for Mieke and Charles

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly12345 View Post

ANY comforting words?
        I think we all can relate to your post . Truly we cannot understand God completley. But we do know some things that help. God sees all and all at once which means when we ask and pray for help in a situation Gods sees everything not just the present moment but also our whole future, he knows how it ends up with us and therefore gives us what we really need in the moment. Only God can tell what we really need because he sees everything at once. We only see a few frames of our life in the present time so its better for us just to trust and put our faith on God and that the answer to our prayer is exactly what we need for our whole life not just the moment. I hope thta makes some sense to you.
        God Bless
        Randy
        And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
        For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Comment

Do any of you have AIM?

Comment

Nope, but I do have Yahoo messenger if you need to talk.
            "I just like to smile! Smiling's my favorite!" - Buddy the Elf

My Blog

Pray for Mieke and Charles

Comment

aww.

maybe message on here?

Comment

ANY comforting words?
                The short answer: your life and your prayer life isn't about what God can do for you: it's about what you can do for Him.

With that view in sharp focus, we'll see that ALL prayers are answered precisely the way He wants them to be answered.

Our job is, then, to move to where He is.

Read the book of Job for some bittersweet comfort (it comes at the end of the book).

LC

Comment

Jer: 29:11

It always encourages me to remember that God see the bigger picture. I thank God for times that some of my prayers weren't answered the way I wanted them to be answered and that the Lord did more than I asked for or even expected, and definitely what was needed.

And it is also good to remember that His timing may not be our timing for something to happen..in other words His delays don't necessarily mean they are denials. And sometime, depending on what it is, we need to keep on praying.

Once I remember praying that my husband not encounter a certain individual we were having difficulty with..and, guess what, he encountered that individual the next day and the situation got turned to the better.

Our loving Father God knows what is best.

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.
                  Last edited by turtledove; Nov 18th 2008, 07:33 AM. Reason: typo
                  "The flowers appear on the earth,
                  the time of singing has come,
                  and the voice of the turtledove
                  is heard in our land
                  ." SofS 2:12 (RSV)

Comment

Hey Kelly... just to let you know, it's actually comforting to think that we don't understand God. I don't know what you're going through in life, but you know... we all "go through it" - whatever "it" is for each one of us.

We don't understand God, but thank God that we don't. If He was small enough for our limited brains and feeble imaginations to comprehend... just think how utterly hopeless life would be. I'm glad to trust someone much bigger than myself, and much stranger than I can comprehend. It's a relief to let go of understanding.

What you can understand is this... He loves you. Just as for some incomprehensible reason He loves me. That's amazing... and beyond weird. And whatever happens, He's in charge, and we can trust Him.

Hope that helps.
                    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

http://www.crosswalk.com/spirituallife/11595686/

That link above is an article entitled "how to wait for a miracle"

God answer prayers in the way that is best for us. Sometimes it can take a while. Or come in a way that knocks us off our feet. But it WILL come.

My family and I have been waiting on a miracle for going on 6 years at least. My father retired from the military, survived on what little part time jobs he could get.got a bankruptcy. Got a new job, that he was fired from later, lived on part time again. Sold our house 1 month before it was to be foreclosed on and have been living with my grandmother since last December. Recently my dad was arrested. And that's just the start of it.

All that, and I see now why a good chunk of it has happened. I am closer to God than I have EVER been. I am thankful for what has happened. He broke me and he has remade me stronger. I will wait for the miracle he has for me to come. I thank him for it now. He will give us struggles to make us even more thankful for the miracles that have come. He will help us endure so that we can speak. So that on his behalf we can testify, "I endured and am standing here now stronger than ever, Not because of myself, but because My God carried me and got me through it."

I know that when these struggles my family are going through are over I will have an amazing testimony to share. And I am thankful.

Prayers are not always answered in the way we expect or when we expect. Just know that they will be answered in the way that is best for the plan he has for you.

Comment

Sometimes it will not be right away, but be patient because God has a plan; it will be revealed in time.

Even if we need him it may be his plan to let you go through a trial so you can become stronger and know more about yourself, Him, and maybe others in the process.

God does not want us to experience pain but he wants us to learn how to be a Christian, we need to see things sometimes before we understand them.

Comment

ANY comforting words?
                          1 Samuel chapter 3: verse18. ......Eli said, 'He is YaHWeH; let him do what he thinks good.'

Now i read this in my daily reading a few weeks back and i thought - there is a true man of God. God has just used the boy Samuel to tell Eli that he is taking the priesthood away from his family because he has let his sons (also priests) curse God and not corrected them.

He doesn't doubt that God has spoken through Samuel.
                          He doesn't argue with the facts or God's sentence for the sin.

A huge bible example for us to read and try to follow. I set out on one mission personally, God took my little efforts in his name and said no - my way, here is your duty to me. I so want to 'try' different churches, but God has said you need a 'home' church. I'll allow you to go to different churches sometimes, but to grow you must mix regularly with this group of believers.

God always hears your prayers. Yes God is always working. I hope the words of Eli above are a comfort. The whole story, 1 Samuel chapters 1-3 may give you a fuller picture. Samuel is the bigger charactor/ hero, but Eli certainly teaches me a lot! Love SofTy.
                          1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Comment

Believe me, God is hard to understand. Especially why it seems like he picks and chooses certain times to answer things. He had his reasons, and his timing. I didn't find the woman I would marry until I was 27. I think it's because I wasn't ready. If I found her when I was 25 or so, I would have just drug her down.

I sometimes wonder why certain things happen in life, or why it seems like God would allow certain things to happen. My dad was very abusive towards my mother and cheated on her several times. He passed away in a helicopter crash (he was in the army, on his way over to Desert Storm) when I was ten years old. After the money ran out, our family hardly came around any more. The only person who stuck around to help, was my dad's best friend.

A year later, he snapped and went on a shooting spree hurting some, and even ending the lives of others. A couple of years after that, I started writing him in prison. Found out that he had given his life over to Jesus. I didn't talk to him for a while, did my thing in high school. I didn't learn much in school, but instead, did a lot of soul searching. I looked at Physic phenomenon, Alchemy (to a small extent); but finally accepted Jesus in the summer of 99 (shortly after learning about Cassie Bernall during Columbine).

I started talking to my dad's friend again, and we visited him on Death Row shortly before he was injected. I have never seen the man happier or more at peace in my life. It was an extremely comfortable situation for me, but I'm glad I went through with it. I never saw a happier man looking death in the face.

I hope my post didn't seem to depressing, those weren't my intentions. I thank God for all of these situations, and more. They are what made me who I am, and who I will be tommorow. I have asked him many questions in my life that seemed like they would not be answered, but then I realized two things:

1)Maybe it's not time yet. Like the many situations I didn't understand then, I understand now.

2)No is also an answer.

I hope that this helped you somehow, and I hope you keep hanging on. God is still there, and he still listens. He loves you.

Stay strong.

Comment

If God had us understand everything, they'd be no faith in that.

Sometimes He says Yes, no, not now...or He stays silent for the moment...until you're ready to receive an answer period. But always understand that whatever the answer is that you get from Him, is what you need. And when He stays silent, don't make a move or jump into conclusions until He speaks.
                              Know that He'll give you the answer or solution that you need, even if it's none. When it's none, leave it alone until He speaks on it.

Ask believing, specting and receiving whatever He's offering.
                              Don't magnify the problem, magnify the Lord.

Raise my white flag...I surrender, I surrender all to You!

Comment

Working...
                              X