Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus of Nazareth...My Reflections On Him

Light Pierced the Darkness!

~The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined~
    Isaiah 9:2

Darkness…how dark it had been for hundreds of years! It was a time of political darkness as a cruel king ruled. It was a time of spiritual darkness and social-economical darkness. Palestine was in a state of decline. Hopelessness and despair abounded in many hearts.

Why were You silent, oh God? Why were You silent so long? But, quietly God stirred beneath the darkest of nights. He was born; the long-promised Messiah was brought forth in humble surroundings.

There were only a few during those early years that recognized Him as Emmanuel, God with us. Of those that God so favored, Heavenly praise burst forth from their tongues. And Mary, the mother of Jesus, wondered.

Unnoticed by most, He was born in an obscure town. Under the cover of night His mother and step-father fled with Him to Egypt, fearing the wrath of King Herod who wanted to slaughter Him. When Herod died, back the couple came with the young Jesus and dwelt in a city called Nazareth.

And then, the quiet years, as He grew up. How He must have loved nature and spent much time alone with His Heavenly Father observing the birds, the flowers, the ways of God. Years later He would gently say, in the common language of the day, things such as ~Your Father knows~, ~Will He not take care of you, oh ye of little faith? ~ ~Your Father cares, and knows all of your needs, little ones~. How tender, how kind, this gentle Jesus was!

Finally the time appointed by the Father, for His public appearing, came. ~Behold the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world! ~ John the Baptist cried out upon seeing Jesus. John, the apostle, later wrote of the first public manifestations of Christ to a waiting world:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    The same was in the beginning with God.
    All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
    In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
    And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
    The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
    He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
    That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
    He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
    He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
    But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
    Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
    And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
    John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.
    And of his fullness have all we received, and grace for grace.
    For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

John 1: 1-17

Onward to the wilderness, the Holy Spirit drove Him to be tempted by the devil for forty days and nights. He then returned in the power of the Holy Spirit…

And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
    And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
    The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
    To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
    And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
    And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
    Luke 4: 16-21

With these words, He announced, that the greatest Love and Light of the world had come down from Heaven to dwell amongst His creatures – Emmanuel - God with us. It was a fulfillment of the words of Isaiah from hundreds of years earlier of what Jesus Christ came to do….

The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound
    Isaiah 61:1

He had come! God finally came to this sinful, dark, death-filled earth to fulfill what He promised to do.

So, let us follow Him, two thousand years later, watch with awe and wonder and see how He sets prisoners free. Let us gaze upon Him as He gives sight to the blind. Let us adore Him as we see Him go after the outcast, the sinful, the despised. Let us see Him give hope to the hopeless, joy to the broken-hearted and how He can make beauty out of a life that has been ravished by sin and despair.

~To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness~

Last edited by ConqueredbyLove; Jul 12th 2008, 07:12 AM.
    ~ My testimony~

Yes, the Light has come, bringing hope for the hopeless and joy to the broken hearted. Sounds like a good start to your Bible study. Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Before His Feet Were Pierced

~How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!

~Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing!

How tiny His holy feet were when He was born. He came from Heaven where He is adored down to this dark world. Emmanuel, God with us is Jesus.

Born King of the Jews, yet He humbled Himself to take on the form of man, born in a feeding trough.

As we think of those precious feet of Jesus we see them first carrying Him coming from Egypt back to Nazareth, drawn by God the Father to fulfill His mission of love.

Embarking on His public ministry, those blessed feet brought Him to John the Baptist. In awe and adoration, the humble John cries “Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world”! Oh, behold Him, for there is no spot in Him! Perfectly holy and harmless is He! Guided by His Heavenly Father, those feet carried Him north to the Sea of Galilee where He would reach out the most during His three and one half years of being in public.

Those feet carried Him through dusty Palestine, up into the hills, down to the sea, out into the wilderness bringing His message of perfect love to sinners, the outcasts, the sick and the dying. Those feet carried Him to a tomb to raise the dead. Those feet carried Him to teach the message of God’s perfect love and hope for the desperate, to set the captive free and to promise everlasting life to those who would receive Him. Those feet walked on water.

It was a woman who recognized the value of the holy feet of Jesus. Adoring His beautiful Character, she must express her adoration in any way that she could. Breaking the perfume over His beautiful feet, she washed them with her tears and dried them with her hair.

Oh, the fragrance of that one act to our beautiful Saviour! How it gave Him the courage to continue on to fulfill the last part of His earthly mission.

As we travel with Him during those final hours we see those feet carry Him to the Garden of Gethsemane where His struggle was so fierce. No mortal man can understand the agony He went through in that Garden! He went through the struggle for you, dear reader; He went through the struggle for me.

As His earthly life comes to a close, His feet carried Him up the bloodstained path to Calvary. That path was covered with our precious Jesus’ blood. We follow the Lamb of God up the hill Golgotha. Finally, as He offers His perfect Soul as a ransom for our sins, we see the nail go through those beautiful feet.

Fixed in agony and bleeding, those precious feet were nailed to the cross until He died.

~They pierced My hands and My feet~

ConqueredbyLove,
      ~ My testimony~

Comment

I have had the privledge of studying the ways and character of Jesus of Nazareth for years now. During my quiet moments and hours, while doing this, I am often transported back in time. I wonder how the Apostle John could have had such a close, intimate relationship with the Master. This devotion is one result of my wondering....

Beholding God

“That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life”
        (1 John 1:1).

The great Apostle, John begins both this Epistle and the Gospel of John speaking of God. It is as if his heart is full and overflowing with thoughts of the One that he was so close to. He tries his best to communicate to us of Jesus Who he dearly loved. He had touched the face of God and he wants to share with us the reality of Immanuel, God with us.

He first reminds us that Jesus is from eternity past. He is the great “I AM” of the prophets of old. He is the self-existent One and there has never been a time that He did not exist. At the perfect time the Heavenly Father sent Him to us. During the thirty-three years that He lived upon this earth, Jesus was God veiled in human flesh.

John heard Him speak the words of eternal life. If we need to know what God the Father is like, we need only study the life of Christ to hear the words of God. He speaks in many ways but, in the gospels the kind, gentle heart of God is opened up to us through the words of Jesus.

John then tells us that he gazed upon the Face of God with his own eyes. Such a Face was veiled for centuries from mankind but John saw His lovely Face. Such tenderness, compassion and loving-kindness radiated from those Divine Eyes. Such peace and tranquility was etched in that Face. John could not get close enough to God so he laid his head on the breast of God gazing into the Face of his Beloved.

And then as if it was not enough to say that he saw the Face of God he said that he looked upon the Word of life, Jesus. When he said that he looked upon Jesus, it means that he observed closely or perceived. John studied his beloved Jesus; he could not help but study this loving Being.

Finally, at the close of this beautiful verse, John said that he handled God. He touched the heart of God with his love and his hands handled the being of God. It was if he wanted to be sure that this was truly God in the flesh. So enraptured with love for his Jesus, he must touch Him to fully believe that this very One was real. The word “handled” means to “verify by contact”.

In the end, John must share with us the reality of God manifest in the flesh. He was actually there with Jesus for three blissful years but he never forgot Who he saw, Who he gazed upon and Who he handled. He so adored the Son of God that he must share with us the One who was so real to him so that we might look, gaze upon and handle Him with a heart full of faith.

conquered...
        ~ My testimony~

Comment

Hi, Conquered! I really like your user name, by the way! I just wanted to suggest to you that you post each of these as individual devotionals...I think it's easier for your readers to find them.

They are excellent, by the way...

Just to clarify, they are original works of yours, are they not? I see your signature at the bottom, so am assuming they are...just want to make sure they are not copyrighted in any way.

Thanks for your contributions!
          ~Mercy
          "Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ,
          keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
          Set your mind on the things above, not the things that are on the earth.
          For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God."
          Col. 3:1-3

"Some people think God does not like to be troubled with our constant coming and asking. The way to trouble God is not to come at all." - D.L. Moody

Comment

Originally posted by Mercy4Me View Post
            Hi, Conquered! I really like your user name, by the way! I just wanted to suggest to you that you post each of these as individual devotionals...I think it's easier for your readers to find them.

They are excellent, by the way...

Just to clarify, they are original works of yours, are they not? I see your signature at the bottom, so am assuming they are...just want to make sure they are not copyrighted in any way.

Thanks for your contributions!
            Thank you, so much...

Yes, they are mine. I will follow your advice.

Blessings!
            ~ My testimony~

Comment

I am happy to report that this thread has been reopened, and is again ready for discussion!
              ~Mercy
              keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.

"Some people think God does not like to be troubled with our constant coming and asking. The way to trouble God is not to come at all." - D.L. Moody

Comment

If I Could Describe Him

If I Could Describe Him

If I could describe to you the greatest love story ever recorded, I would. If I could tell you of hands that touched the untouchables, I would gladly do so. If I could help you understand weary feet that traveled constantly up and down dusty hills, of a regal head that had a stone for a pillow, of a body that had no place called home, I would try. If I could describe to you His face that radiates the purest light of love, how could I hold it back?

I cannot. Because His story is so incredible, it cannot adequately be described. It is the story of the God who angels bow in absolute adoration to. It is the story of One Who all history points to. And it is the story of One Who millions worship and bend their knee to.

It is the story of Emmanuel, God with us; God, Who condescended to leave the glories of Heaven to come to this dark, cruel, sad world. He came for us. He came to teach us about the Father. He came to live for us. He came to die for us and then...the Heavenly Father resurrected Him.

Since no mortal being can fully describe Him, I can only attempt to take you by the hand and bring you to Him so that you may discover Him for yourself.

I have intensely studied His encounters with individuals from the Bible. I have gazed upon Him and noted how God treats the rejected, tormented, the hated and the fearful. I have fallen in love with Him as I have watched Him reach out to the outcasts. I have watched Him be a friend of sinners. I have seen Him touch the untouchables.

For you see, I have been each one of those people. And, as I watched Him reach out to them 2,000 years ago, it gradually dawned on me that He was doing the same with me.

The great longing of God’s heart is for us to know and experience Him. So, let us see how He invites us to Himself, reveals Himself to us and how He is able to ravish a person’s heart with His tender-mercies, gentleness and indescribable love.

author's note...
                I decided to pull this thread up and post my devotionals on this thread. I am doing this only for the reason that it is what I am used to and it is easier for me to keep track of what I have posted....I sincerely hope this does not confuse any of my treasure readers....

moderator...
                Is there anyway my first posts on this thread can be deleted so that I might start the thread with this post?
                ~ My testimony~

Comment

Conquered, we usually don't delete posts in a thread unless there's a really good reason, especially when there have been some replies...otherwise I'd have to delete not only your posts but others' as well.

You're welcome to continue posting here, and I'm sure people will check in and read, if that's what you choose to do.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and blessings to you today!
                  ~Mercy

Comment

Originally posted by Mercy4Me View Post
                    Conquered, we usually don't delete posts in a thread unless there's a really good reason, especially when there have been some replies...otherwise I'd have to delete not only your posts but others' as well.

You're welcome to continue posting here, and I'm sure people will check in and read, if that's what you choose to do.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and blessings to you today!
                    Thank you, so much....
                    ~ My testimony~

Comment

He Wore the Crown of Thorns

~Then Pilate therefore took Jesus, and scourged him. And the soldiers plaited a crown of thorns, and put it on his head, and they put on him a purple robe, And said, Hail, King of the Jews! and they smote him with their hands~

Your Sacred Head was wounded for us; You felt the deadly pain. It was the end of Your sorrowful life, walking amongst Your beloved creation.

Your Sacred Head first lay in a feeding trough because there was no room for You in the inn. You were born into a world that rejected You, yet You loved us until the end.

As You grew, You grew in wisdom. No evil of us filled Your thoughts. Perfectly Holy and harmless were You. And yet, You were hated by most.

Pure kindness and grace poured from Your mouth. Heavenly mysteries You unfolded to us. The common people heard you gladly. The sick, infirmed, brokenhearted and sinful flocked to You.

You taught us the truth about the Heavenly Father. You taught us about the birds the wildflowers and You had pity on the innocent animals. You loved the children. But the religious leaders wanted to kill you.

Tears flowed from your eyes at the sight of suffering. You wept over others grief, You wept over death, You wept over Your beloved Jerusalem. You are a Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.

Towards the end of Your life, You presented Yourself as the King of Israel. As You came to the descent of the Mount of Olives the people cried ~Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord ~

But it was not to be; for now. They mocked You saying ~Hail, King of the Jews~ They put a purple robe on You. They smote You, they mocked You. They cruelly shoved down on Your regal Head a crown of thorns. Oh, such pain and anguish, shame and disgrace You suffered; for the lost, for those with no hope, for me!

As You hung upon the cross it is possible that the only thing you wore was that cruel, cruel crown of thorns. You bowed Your Head. Your arms were outstretched to all embracing all who would come to You. Your Head bent unto death under the weight of the Crown of thorns.
                      ~ My testimony~

Comment

In The Storms of Life
                        Part One
                        Jesus Sees Us

~It is I; be not afraid~.

Have we heard Him speak to us? Have we heard Him whispering those gentle, kind words to our hearts in the midst of our fear? Best known as the miracle where Jesus walks on water, let us not overlook many other treasures in this wonderful story.

The Sea of Galilee is surrounded by mountains and deep canyons. Storms can come up suddenly with winds whipping down through the canyons upon the lake. But the disciples were seasoned fisherman and Jesus had directed them to go by ship to the other side of the lake.

Then the storm came! How frightening it must have been as the raging storm tossed the ship! How could this be? They were under the Lord's directive when this life-threatening storm hit them. How can this be when we are following the Lord and suddenly our storm of life hits us? Certainly our faith can be near shipwrecked during these times.

We may be encouraged as we look closer at the ways of Jesus when we are in the midst of a tempest. First of all, Jesus went up the mountain after He sent the disciples. The mountain represents the place of authority. Our Lord has authority over all the affairs of our life, the calm and the frightening. Even though dark times may come, at one command He will put an end to our storm when He sees the perfect timing. In this story, He waited until the fourth watch of the night. It must have seemed like an eternity of tempest and darkness to these men. Has your storm seemed like and eternity, dear reader? Do you feel as if your faith is about to fail?

But our text says ~and He saw them toiling in rowing~. Oh, His loving eye is ever upon us while we are in the storms of life. There is great comfort remembering our loving Lord never takes His eyes off His bewildered and frightened children in the midst of our storm! We are not alone in our difficulty. Jesus sees us and is with us!

Author's note~ My treasured readers. Lately, I have started linking some of my writings to various songs and videos. Although the song I link to with this devotional is not one of our better "fits", nevertheless, I love the song and wanted to share it with you. Moderator, it is a link to a youtube video and song by Nicole C. Mullen ~enjoy!

Last edited by ConqueredbyLove; Aug 14th 2008, 04:14 PM.
                        ~ My testimony~

Comment

In the Storms of Life
                          Part Two

~I have prayed for thee~

~ And straightway he constrained his disciples to get into the ship, and to go to the other side before unto Bethsaida, while he sent away the people. And when he had sent them away, he departed into a mountain to pray. And when even was come, the ship was in the midst of the sea, and he alone on the land. And he saw them toiling in rowing; for the wind was contrary unto them: and about the fourth watch of the night he cometh unto them, walking upon the sea, and would have passed by them. But when they saw him walking upon the sea, they supposed it had been a spirit, and cried out: For they all saw him, and were troubled. And immediately he talked with them, and saith unto them,
                          Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid~
                          Mark 6:45-50

In our first lesson together we looked at some dynamics of the Sea of Galilee. We also learned we can be in the midst of faithfully following Jesus when our storm can come suddenly upon us bringing great fear and perplexity. We learned that often Jesus waits until we are stretched almost beyond our limits before He commands the storm to depart our life.
                          We saw that Jesus went up the mountain and from that high vantage point He could see the disciples in the midst of their storm. Oh, there is great comfort when we know that Jesus has not left us alone and that He sees us and is with us in the midst of the tempest!

However, let us glean further comfort from the ways of Jesus during the raging sea of our lives. From the place of authority and seeing the disciples, Matthew’s Gospel says that He went up the mountain to pray.

Do we remember that Jesus ~ever lives to make intercession for us~? All authority has been given to Him by the Heavenly Father. He sits at the right side of the Father, the place of authority. His prayers are always answered by the Father! Always! And ~if God be for us, who (or what) can be against us~? Our heavenly Father, through His Son’s intercession, will not let us escape out of His omniscient right hand! No tempest will destroy us! He will bring us through! His faith will never fail and He is praying for us!

Sometimes, when I feel stretched beyond my limit, and feel no one else is praying for me, out of pure desperation I cry “Jesus pray for me”! Following this prayer I receive God’s peace. For I know He already is praying for me, He has my best interest in mind and His prayers are always answered. Somehow, though, I sense that He stands up from His lofty throne when I pray that and His attention is absolutely fixed on…me.

~I have prayed for thee, and when thou are converted, strengthen your brethren~.

Let us note in this verse, where Jesus spoke to Peter, ~when thou are converted~ not if thou are converted. There is no question in the heart of Jesus whether we will ultimately be victorious through our trial….Let us take heart.

To be continued…
                          ~ My testimony~

Comment

In The Storms of Life
                            Part Three

Cry out to Jesus

~ And straightway he constrained his disciples to get into the ship, and to go to the other side before unto Bethsaida, while he sent away the people. And when he had sent them away, he departed into a mountain to pray. And when even was come, the ship was in the midst of the sea, and he alone on the land. And he saw them toiling in rowing; for the wind was contrary unto them: and about the fourth watch of the night he cometh unto them, walking upon the sea, and would have passed by them. But when they saw him walking upon the sea, they supposed it had been a spirit, and cried out: For they all saw him, and were troubled. And immediately he talked with them, and saith unto them,
                            Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid~
                            Mark 6:45-50

In our first two lessons we learned that great storms of life can visit us in the midst of following Jesus. We learned that Jesus sees us in these storms. We learned that He is in the place of authority as He prays for us and His prayers are always for our good and always answered by our Heavenly Father.

How frightening the storms of life can be! The darkness can feel overwhelming and we can feel totally alone. We may question whether it will ever end and we feel stretched beyond our limit. The pain or fear is almost unbearable. Sometimes we feel as if God is nowhere to be found or that perhaps He does not care as much as we once thought. The enemy darkens our minds with tormenting questions such as “if God were so loving…”

It is imperative that we don’t feel condemned or guilty for our doubts or thinking such things. It is normal for mere mortals to have doubts and Jesus knows that such doubts may come our way.

In our story above, let us glean one final thought. Our text says ~he cometh unto them….and would have passed by them~. I have always wondered why He would have passed them by. What caused Him to change course, so to speak and caused Him to talk with and reassure them?

They cried out to Jesus! Oh, how precious it is to Him when we cry out to Him in our distress! It is not His way to interrupt our lives uninvited. He waits until He is invited to help in the midst of our despair. He is sensitive to our desire or lack of to have Him take part in our life. When they cried out to Him, however, He immediately talked with them, calming their fears and reassuring them that He was with them. His gentle, loving, kind Presence can bring peace to the most desperate of hearts.

Have we cried out to Jesus in the midst of our storms of life? Have we ever cried out to Him? He longs to be part of our lives even if we, by our past follies brought our troubles and heartache upon ourselves.

Let us cry out to Jesus. Would we have Him come and comfort us and bring His great peace to our lives? Do we desire Him to bring beauty out of our sorrow and pain? Would we desire to mount up with wings of an eagle and soar above our circumstances, having Him embrace us in His loving hand while we arise to a new life filled with hope?

~Listen and watch by clicking below. You are very precious to Him~

A link to a Christian song and video on youtube
                            ~ My testimony~

Comment

That Mighty Nail-Pierced Hand

~Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth.
                              And they laughed him to scorn, knowing that she was dead.
                              And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid, arise.
                              And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway~
                              Luke 8:54

That hand swept across the darkness and said ~Let there be light~, and the light pierced through the darkness. That same hand came as a tiny hand waving in the air as the newborn God-man came to earth – Immanuel, God with us. That hand took the hand of its mother as a young child fleeing to Egypt; a cruel king wanted to kill him.

That hand was raised in prayer to His Father as He fought through near starvation and temptation before His ministry started. That hand gently and lovingly opened the Scriptures as He proclaimed He is the long awaited Messiah ~ The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised~ No more precious words have ever come from the lips of man. He had come. Messiah had come.

That hand was placed on the heads of little children as He blessed them. That hand touched the hand of the blind and the first face they saw was the face of Jesus. That hand led the deaf mute away from the crowd, placed His finger in the deaf man’s ear as He sighed and the man’s ears were opened.

That hand broke the bread and fish and fed thousands with only a few fish and loaves. That hand reached out to Peter and lifted him up to safety after Peter cried out he was perishing in the storm. That hand touched the leper, the untouchable and cleansed him, making him white as snow.

That hand stilled the waves, cleansed the temple, was raised in blessing to His Father. That hand healed the sick and raised the dead.

And then…that hand was bound. Never allowed to do good anymore while He walked this earth. That loving, kind, generous hand was then…crucified…fixed in agony…on a cruel cross.

Yet once more, that hand will wave across humanity. That loving hand will still have the nail-prints upon it. Mightly, all-powerful it will sweep across this earth, raising multitudes from the grave so that we may forever be with Him and kiss that nail-pierced hand. That loving hand will be placed on our heads as we bow in wonder and adoration before Him.

conquered,
                              ~ My testimony~

Comment

Working...
                              X