The Serenity Prayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Serenity Prayer

I've been a big fan of the Serenity Prayer for a long time. It's given me peace in many a situation.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
    The courage to accept the things I can;
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

This is essentially the advice Paul gave the Corinthians in 1 Corinthians 7:21:

"Were you a bondservant when called? Do not be concerned about it. (But if you can gain your freedom, avail yourself of the opportunity.)"

If freedom isn't possible then acceptance is called for. But if freedom can be had then by all means change the situation. It can be a fine line sometimes determining when to accept and when to change; this is when wisdom comes into play.
    Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

Another concept that is often including in settings where the Serenity Prayer is presented, is:

"the three Cs"
    • I didn't Cause it
    • I can't Control it
    • I can't Cure it
    or another way to say it..........'Not my circus, not my monkeys!'
    Jesus is YHWH the eternal Great I AM.
    • Jesus said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I AM from above: ye are of this world; I AM not of this world. if ye believe not that I AM He, ye shall die in your sins. John 8:23
    • " I YHWH the LORD, the first, and with the last; I AM He. Thus saith YHWH the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer YHWH the LORD of hosts; I AM the first, and I AM the last; and beside me there is no God.” Isaiah 41:4,44:6
    • "And [the son of Man] laid his right hand upon me, saying Fear not; I AM the first and the last: I AM He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I AM alive for evermore. These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive" Rev 1:17, 2:8
    • "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I AM Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last." Rev 22:12

Comment

I've heard that one too. It's a good one.
      Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

Comment

Working...
      X