Revelation 1:5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revelation 1:5

Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

the faithful witness - A witness is a person who can give a first hand account of something. A faithful witness is one who will not distort the facts. Moses spoke of Christ in Duet 18:15 The Lord thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken. John the Baptist spoke of Christ in Matt 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire. God the Father spoke from heaven concerning Christ in Matt 3:16-17 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Christ's own works testified of Him, Jesus said in John 5:36 But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me. Jesus Christ was and is the faithful witness of God. Jesus said in John 14:9 ...he that hath seen me hath seen the Father. Jesus is the truth, not just a truth, but “the truth”. This is perhaps an answer for one of the great problems of many today. For them Jesus is a partial truth or one of many truths which means they partially build their life upon Him. When Jesus becomes “the truth” He becomes the center and foundation of life. That is His rightful place.

the first begotten of the dead - Jesus is not God's only Son as some translations of the Bible declare, He is, however, God's only begotten Son. Begotten in the sense He was born of a woman, conceived by the Holy Ghost. John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. All of God's children are begotten of Him as described in 1 Pet 1:3, but not in the same sense as Jesus was. First begotten of the dead speaks of the necessity that Christ be the first to rise from the dead bodily and enter heaven. 1 Cor 15:20-23 ...now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. Concerning the resurrection of Christ we find in Matt 27:50-53 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many. I think it's possible we fail to grasp the miraculous events which took place around the death and resurrection of Jesus. It was so remarkable that at least one man, the Roman centurion in charge of Christ's crucifixion, said, “truly this man was the Son of God”. The centurion was partially correct, Jesus “is” the Son of God. Christ literally and bodily rose from the dead and His resurrection is the guarantee of our resurrection. A picture of that truth is the saints who rose from the dead with Christ and showed themselves in Jerusalem.

the prince of the kings of the earth
    - The word prince here means ruler or chief. Isaiah said of Christ in Isa 9:6-7 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, the everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this. The last sentence in those verses means no power in the universe will stop it. The events of The Revelation will reveal who Jesus really is to the world and He will reign over all the Earth. Jesus said to Pilate in John 19:11 Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above. Sounds like Jesus may have been trying to let Pilate know who was really in charge. Paul wrote in Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Every person who has come to power on earth was allowed and ultimately used by God to fulfill His plan. We can see it in what God said to the Pharaoh of Egypt in the time of Moses, Ex 9:16 And in very deed for this cause have I raised thee up, for to shew in thee my power; and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth. God used Pharaoh's rebellion to reveal His power. John wrote of Christ in Rev 19:16 ...he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS. Everyone who has or ever will have any kind of authority in this world has only been allowed it by the one who has all authority. Jesus Christ is truly the prince of the kings of the earth.

him that loved us
    - No one has ever loved you or ever will love you like Jesus. We can see it through the Bible's testimony of what He did for us. Rom 5:6-8 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. 1 John 4:9-10 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. We can continue to see Christ's love through His care for us as His children. Matt 6:31-33 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?...for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. David said in Ps 37:25 I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread. God takes care of those who trust in Him and that shows His love. We can also see His love in what He has promised us. Jesus said in John 14:2-3 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. Christ's love for us has moved Him to construct us a mansion, but I would have to say my love for Him may not allow me to rest in it. Why would I want to be resting in a mansion when I could be with Jesus or doing His bidding? We can only love Him because He first loved us.

washed us from our sins in His own blood – Of all God declares to us, to me, this is the most amazing. There is simply no way for us to fully appreciate the holiness of God. His perfection and completeness are beyond our comprehension. The proof of that is our many attempts at judging Him, we can't understand why He says this or that, why He does things a certain way, so we question Him. In fact a failure to grasp His perfection and holiness is the reason man's idea of redemption is very different from God's. We're not that bad, so we can be involved in our redemption. That way of thinking is evidence of being greatly deceived. There are four unique creatures around the throne of God. Isaiah, Ezekiel and John saw these creatures and partially described them for us. The following is what John said the creatures were saying. Rev 4:8 ...they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come. God is holy and that is the attribute of Him which stands out above all others. After mankind rebelled against God it was impossible for Him to associate with us. The only remedy was for God to make us holy as He is. The only real way to accomplish that was to sacrifice Himself for us, become as one of us, lay down His earthly life, shed His blood to wash us from our sins. It was His perfect and complete love for us that made Him do it. God is holy and we should praise Him for being holy. You know what heaven or paradise would be like if God wasn't perfect? It would be much like the places people call paradise and heaven on earth. I can't speak for you, but I surly don't want that. I'm looking for a place much better than we can find anywhere on earth. Heb 9:22 ...almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. Heb 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. 1 Pet 1:18-19 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot. Many view the sacrifice of animals God commanded in the Old Testament and the sacrifice of Christ on the cross as foolishness. However, our sin is so ugly and vile in the sight of God that were we to have to pay for it ourselves we would spend an eternity separated from God in torment. In the shedding of Christ's blood we can be washed and made clean in His sight. In accepting Christ as our Savior we are recognizing our guilt and God's deliverance. Titus 3:5-7 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. God's complete perfection and holiness is the reason you and I can have no part in our salvation, we must be washed from our sins in the blood of Christ. “No one ever cared for me like Jesus, there's no other friend so kind as He. No one else could take the sin and darkness from me. Oh how much He cares for me”.
Working...
X