Rebuilding the temple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding the temple

Do the Jews HAVE to rebuild the temple to fulfill prophecy? If so, do you think it will happen before the tribulation? Does it have to be in the exact same spot as the Dome of the Rock???

I think the Jews, or certain groups of them believe that the temple must be restored, rebuilt rather, to bring the Messiah they await.

However, as far as Christians go, or me anyway, I don't believe the temple must be rebuilt to bring Jesus Second Advent, I think prophecy teaches us it will be rebuilt, but not for the bringing about of Christ Second Advent.

I think if the temple is rebuilt while I am still alive I will be walking around bumping into things because I will only be looking up, but that does not mean the temple brought Christ Second Advent to pass, but that it is a sign it is soon.

There are groups definitely working to get a that temple built though.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by catlover View Post
      Do the Jews HAVE to rebuild the temple to fulfill prophecy? If so, do you think it will happen before the tribulation? Does it have to be in the exact same spot as the Dome of the Rock???

I know there will be mixed responses to this question....
      My personal opinion is that there's no need for another temple. JESUS became the temple, which was raised in three days.

Here's a link to an article that sums up pretty much everything I would say about this toipic.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/barnwell/barnwell46.html
      Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Meike & I have the same birthday! Na-na na, na-na!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quiet dove View Post
        I think the Jews, or certain groups of them believe that the temple must be restored, rebuilt rather, to bring the Messiah they await.

However, as far as Christians go, or me anyway, I don't believe the temple must be rebuilt to bring Jesus Second Advent, I think prophecy teaches us it will be rebuilt, but not for the bringing about of Christ Second Advent.

I have to agree with you concerning whether or not the temple MUST be rebuilt.
        There's nothing ANY of us can do to "usher in" Jesus' return.
        God's time has been determined, & it's set in place. HE knows what time that is.

It has nothing to do with humans erecting a building to "bring him in".

As far as the temple being rebuilt at all...... I'll keep the reply short & just say that I'm not on the same page about scripture teaching that it WILL be rebuilt.

So, I guess it's a 50/50 split this time.
        Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Meike & I have the same birthday! Na-na na, na-na!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markdrums View Post
          I know there will be mixed responses to this question....
          My personal opinion is that there's no need for another temple. JESUS became the temple, which was raised in three days.

Here's a link to an article that sums up pretty much everything I would say about this toipic.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/barnwell/barnwell46.html
          My thoughts exactly! There will be no third temple, because Jesus is that Third Temple.
          Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Check out my new blog at pilgrimtozion.blogspot.com

Comment

And he certainly put an end to all blood sacrifices observed in the temple.

Can't you just imagine everyone from all over the world going to a temple, be it in Jerusalem or wherever? First of all, they'd never fit into it...and second, how would we transport all the doves or lambs or whatever we would be required to be sacrificed.

Christ Jesus was the final sacrifice. Remember: When Abraham went with the intention of sacrificing his only son because God told him to do that...Isaac said to him, "Father, I see fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?"

And Abraham said, "My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together." Genesis 22:7-8

That happened on Mt. Moriah, which later came to be called Mt. Calvary!

WOW!

...and He DID provide HIMSELF....(By the way, Abraham ended up NOT sacrificing his only begotten son after all! WOW again!)
            My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Comment

Whilst agreeing that Jesus IS the temple I am still inclined to think another brick&mortar one might be rebuilt.

My beef with dispensational temple talk is that they tend to glorify it - as if it were a good thing. It is my belief that a temple will be rebuilt but that it will be a snare to Jews and some Christians.

The temple altar of sacrifice is the abominable object IMHO that causes desolation.
              "Your name and renown
              is the desire of our hearts."
              (Isaiah 26:8)

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post
                Whilst agreeing that Jesus IS the temple I am still inclined to think another brick&mortar one might be rebuilt.

My beef with dispensational temple talk is that they tend to glorify it - as if it were a good thing. It is my belief that a temple will be rebuilt but that it will be a snare to Jews and some Christians.

The temple altar of sacrifice is the abominable object IMHO that causes desolation.
                Agreed. Not only can we say Jesus is the temple, but:

Mat 12:6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.

Jesus is greater than any brick and mortar temple. Even if the Jews did build a temple, would it be anything more than brick and mortar to God?
                In Christ,

-- Rev

“To preserve the government we must also preserve morals. Morality rests on religion; if you destroy the foundation, the superstructure must fall. When the public mind becomes vitiated and corrupt, laws are a nullity and constitutions are waste paper.” – Daniel Webster, 4th of July, 1800, Oration at Hanover, N.H.

Comment

The Jews tried to build a third temple already.

According to both Christian and Pagan sources (including at least one firsthand Pagan source who worked for the emperor), the Roman Emperor of the time worked with the Jews to build a third temple. But the building was put to an end when various events disrupted the building process, including fire erupting from the earth and an earthquake.

Problems with a future temple being built:

1. It simply will not be a temple of God. Christ claimed He was greater than the temple, the epistles claim that we (Christians) are God's temple, and the Revelation claims that in the new creation there is no physical temple because Christ is our temple.

2. If a third temple is built, even if it is admitted not to be a temple of God, it cannot be desecrated because it was never sacred to begin with! The common belief is that a third temple will be rebuilt in order to be desecrated by the antichrist, but this could never happen because it could never be a temple of God to begin with in order to be sacrileged.

3. There's no prophecy about a third temple to be built.
                  To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post

You know what, I totally agree her, and I am a premil! And especially the reddened sentence. (What?! An Amil and a Premil in agreement?!)

Actually, from what I have read, the temple has to be built. The only reason why it has to be built is so that 2 Thessalonians 2:3-8 can be fulfilled. The Man of Sin has to stand in the Holy Place, proclaiming himself to be God. That can not happen unless there is a place that is "suppose" to be holy, like the Holy of Holies that is only found in the temple. The brick and mortar temple will not be built for God's glory, but rather for the glorification of the man of sin.

It is not to be something that we as Christians should be happy about! The moment that 2 Thes 2:3-4 is fulfilled, Zechariah 14:1 kicks in and the event that Lord Jesus warned Judah about in Matthew 24:15-22 ends up being fulfilled. Followed by the Great Tribulation immediately thereafter. Granted, the Lord comes about 3.5 years afterward, but the greatest period of human suffering ever will commence, once the man of sin enters the Holy of Holies in the rebuilt brick and mortar temple.

Comment

Originally posted by third hero View Post
                      The only reason why it has to be built is so that 2 Thessalonians 2:3-8 can be fulfilled.
                      What about verse 7, in which Paul states that the "mystery of lawlessness" was "already at work" at the time he was writing it?

You can't quote Paul's statement that the "man of lawlessness" was going to stand in the temple and claim that he was god and omit the part where Paul says that the "mystery of lawlessness" was "already at work" at that very moment he was writing.
                      To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by markedward View Post
                        What about verse 7, in which Paul states that the "mystery of lawlessness" was "already at work" at the time he was writing it?

You can't quote Paul's statement that the "man of lawlessness" was going to stand in the temple and claim that he was god and omit the part where Paul says that the "mystery of lawlessness" was "already at work" at that very moment he was writing.
                        The mystery of lawlesness has been in operation since the fall of man. That has never changed. The "Mystery" will be revealed when the man of Sin is revealed, for the man of sin is the mystery of lawlessness, hence the reason why Paul mentioned it in the same paragraph that he mentions the man of sin sitting in the Holy Place, declaring himself to be God.

I am sorry if I didn't mention the "mystery of lawlessness", but I implied it, as anyone who has read 2 Thessalonians 2:3-8 would realize. I thought it would be a "no-brainer". But thank you anyway for the correction.

Comment

The mystery of lawlesness has been in operation since the fall of man.
                          In that case, why did Paul mention it as a currently operative thing, instead of claiming it was in power since the fall of man? It was so easy for you to say, why didn't Paul say it just as easily unless he meant that the lawlessness that he referred to was a contemporary problem as opposed to one that had been around for a long time?
                          To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by markedward View Post
                            In that case, why did Paul mention it as a currently operative thing, instead of claiming it was in power since the fall of man? It was so easy for you to say, why didn't Paul say it just as easily unless he meant that the lawlessness that he referred to was a contemporary problem as opposed to one that had been around for a long time?
                            You know, I do not believe that Paul had to say that. He didn't have to be that concise, because anyone who has any knowledge of the Bible would know that the mystery of iniquity has been in operation since the temptation of Adam and Eve in Eden. Why should Paul have to say that?

Markedward, you are aware that the mystery of iniquity has been in operation since the fall of man. You know of Nimrod's apostacy, of the wickedness of the people before the flood, the iniquity of the nations from the first dispersion onward (dispersion from the Tower of Babel). Does this have to be stated in order for us to know the depths of the mystery of iniquity?

I still hold to the thought that the 3rd temple has to be rebuilt in order for the mystery of iniquity to be revealed once and for all, as the Man of Sin is the mystery of iniquity, and the spirit of the Antichrist is the agent at work that brings him about. That is what I believe is what Paul was talking about in 2 Thesalonians 2:3-8.

Comment

You know of Nimrod's apostacy
                              Off-topic, but, nothing in canon Scripture says that Nimrod was an apostate.

On-topic, we'll just have to disagree.
                              To This Day

Comment

Working...
                              X