Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amil Interpretation of Zech 14

Behold, the day of the LORD is coming …
    ... I will gather all the nations to battle against Jerusalem …
    … Then the LORD will go forth and fight against those nations …
    … Thus the LORD my God will come, and all the saints with You.
    (Zech 14:1-5 abridged)
    Amill supporters identify the 'day of the Lord' as being the destruction of this earth at his coming. They usually quote 2 Peter 3:10. Alright then, above is Zechariahs version of the same event. Problem is, Zech doesn’t teach the final destruction of the world. On the contrary, he goes on to teach what looks like a millennial reign on earth.

… And the LORD shall be King over all the earth …
    … And it shall come to pass that everyone who is left of all the nations
    which came against Jerusalem shall go up from year to year to worship the King,
    the LORD of hosts, and to keep the Feast of Tabernacles.
    (Zech 14:9-16 abridged)
    So my question is this. What is the amillennial Interpretation of Zech 14 and how do they reconcile it to their doctrine?

PS Can we keep this thread to the opening post please? I only want to know how Amils read O.T. refs concerning the 'Day of the Lord.'

Cyberseeker
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

We've discussed this topic, from an Amill perspective, many times in the last year on this forum.

Here are several links to the threads that discussed it.

When do the feet of Jesus touch mt olives

Face melting Banjo Solos, Zech 1-14, and Amill explanations as duly requested

Face Melting Guitar Solos and Zech. 14

It seems this would support the amil view . . .

Comment

Oh boy, you sure have had a few little discussions on it.

They are rather long threads and Ive come late. I see Rookie put up some detailed argument from a premil perspective. Did anyone deal with the apparent contradiction between Zech 14:9 and 2 Peter 3:10?
      "Your name and renown

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post
        Oh boy, you sure have had a few little discussions on it.

They are rather long threads and Ive come late. I see Rookie put up some detailed argument from a premil perspective. Did anyone deal with the apparent contradiction between Zech 14:9 and 2 Peter 3:10?
        Yes, can't remember which of the threads, but look for a post discussing this from a member named 'wpm'. He differentiates the hebrew of 'the day of the Lord' and shows from the Hebrew how the Zech 14:1 phrase isn't referring to the climactic 2nd Advent where sin and death are destroyed, but rather, a future day (from Zech's perspective) when the Lord would come and literally step foot on the Mt of Olives, ala John 8:1.

Comment

Originally posted by David Taylor View Post
          Yes, can't remember which of the threads, but look for a post discussing this from a member named 'wpm'. He differentiates the hebrew of 'the day of the Lord' and shows from the Hebrew how the Zech 14:1 phrase isn't referring to the climactic 2nd Advent where sin and death are destroyed, but rather, a future day (from Zech's perspective) when the Lord would come and literally step foot on the Mt of Olives, ala John 8:1.
          Dave, is this the one you were referring to?

http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?...8&postcount=58

Comment

Man, talk about a blast from the past...
            The Rookie

Twelve is the number of government. Thus, it is quite apropos that I am on my way towards wielding the power of twelve bars - each bar like, say, a tribe.....or a star.....or, maybe an apostle. A blue apostle. Like apostle smurfs. Does anyone remember smurfs? And all the controversy about them being from the devil? It's probably bad that I juxtaposed "apostle" and "smurf" in the same sentence. But then, I probably lost you at "blue apostle". Yes, my friends, this is what "rare jewel of a person" is actually implying. "Rare Jewel of a Person" really means, "Potentially Insane".

Comment

Yeah, speaking of dripping banjos, our little praise-band got to do a fairly straight-chorded, old-timey feeling sound this morning that was in the key of G, so instead of playing bass, I pulled out my banjo and twanked away. Nothing as hot as the Zech 14 threads, but pretty good timing nonetheless.

Comment

Everything is a blast from the past on Endtime forums.
                "Your name and renown

Comment

Look what I googled up!

Look what I googled up!

Martin Luther said of Zechariah 14, “Here, in this chapter, I give up. For I am not sure what the prophet is talking about.”

Lol. I dont think he would be the only one.
                  "Your name and renown

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post
                    Look what I googled up!
                    Martin Luther said of Zechariah 14, “Here, in this chapter, I give up. For I am not sure what the prophet is talking about.”

Lol. I dont think he would be the only one.
                    Well, unless one makes the connection between Zechariah 14 to Matthew 24 and Revelation 19:11-20:7, that will be the quote that many will continue to say.

Comment

Here's my brief take on chapter 14 (I'm an amillennialist & partial preterist)...

Chapter 14 is, perhaps, one of the most difficult chapters in all of Scripture to interpret. Once again 2 major camps emerge. The first considers this a prophecy of the yet future second coming of Christ. The second considers this further description of 1st century events. Most probably fall somewhere in between, interpreting it with a blend of preterism and futurism.

The camp that sees this as the Second Coming argues that the language utilized could only speak of end-of-the-world events ('the Lord is coming,' 'all the nations,' 'the Lord will go out and fight,' 'His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives,' etc). The second camp, however, argues that this is common apocalyptic language and need not be interpreted in such a wooden literal manner. The 'coming' referred to need not be a 'bodily' coming. The Roman Empire could be spoken of as encompassing 'all the nations.' The presence of God on the Mount of Olives was symbolic for His exit from Jerusalem (Ezekiel 11:23). I, personally, am inclined toward agreement with the latter (preterist) camp.

If the preterist interpretation is correct, then chapter 14 is a prophecy of AD70. All the nations (the Roman Empire) came to fight against Jerusalem. The city was severely defeated (2) leaving half of the survivors exiled. God, who had protected Jerusalem during the Maccabean period, now removed His presence from the temple and city and resided, so to speak, on the Mount of Olives to watch His sovereign Judgment (like He had when Babylon destroyed Jerusalem, Ezekiel 11:23).

Some, however, would remain part of Jerusalem, but, according to this interpretation, in a new way. No longer would they be part of a physical Jerusalem (no longer possible seeing as how it is utterly defeated), but they were now part of a spiritual Jerusalem (the city of God's people, the church). They would have access to living water (not literal water, but the Holy Spirit, see John 7:37-39). They would be part of the eternal Kingdom of God, a Kingdom that would remain secure forever. Subsequently, many enemies of the new Jerusalem would attack, but none would prevail against it. In fact, many of the enemies (gentiles) will become citizens of the new Jerusalem. In this kingdom, even the most mundane objects will be holy to the Lord. This seems to be a beautiful prophetic image of the church.
                      The Matthew Never Knew
                      The Knew Kingdom

Comment

OK what about Zeph then?

Yes, it seem that Amill supporters have a problem with Zechariah and Premill supporters quote it to prove a millennial reign on earth.

But let us now have a look at the 'day of the Lord' according to the prophet Zephaniah. My question now is this: What is the pre-millennial interpretation of Zephaniah and how do they reconcile this to their doctrine? It seems to be more in agreement with 2Peter3:10 and seems to be saying the opposite to Zech!

I will utterly sweep away everything from the face of the earth," declares the LORD. I will sweep away man and beast; I will sweep away the birds of the heavens and the fish of the sea, and the rubble with the wicked. I will cut off mankind from the face of the earth," declares the LORD …
                        … The great day of the LORD is near …
                        … a day of darkness and gloom, a day of clouds and thick darkness …
                        … In the fire of his jealousy, all the earth shall be consumed; for a full and sudden end he will make of all the inhabitants of the earth …
                        … For my decision is to gather nations, to assemble kingdoms, to pour out upon them my indignation, all my burning anger; for in the fire of my jealousy all the earth shall be consumed.
                        (Zephaniah abridged)
                        Cyberseeker
                        "Your name and renown

Comment

Oh Cyber, you know not what you ask.
                          Even Augustine made no attempt at Zechariah 14.
                          The farthest he got was 13:2. But he did believe in the future salvation of the Jewish nation to Christ in the last days, when:
                          "..they shall look upon Me Whom they have pierced.." (Zechariah 12)
                          "It is when the people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." --Patrick Henry

His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber.Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter.

Comment

2 Peter 3:8 *But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
                            9 *The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
                            10 *But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up

Consider this, food for thought only. To tie all the refs of the day of the Lord together so that they happen in one day, we should consider 2 Peter 3:8. This doesn't mean that the Lord will keep making reappearances as things unfold. Obviously the day of the Lord spans 1000 years. At least it seems obvious to me. With this in mind, things make more sense, well at least to me. Like I stated, food for thought.
                            Personally, I also see Jeremiah 4:23-31 among many many more as part of what transpires within that thousand year time span. Most don't see the connection and the parallels to other Scriptures tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou M. View Post
                              Oh Cyber, you know not what you ask.
                              That not all I know not.
                              "Your name and renown

Comment

Working...
                              X