No announcement yet.

Is a 'Strong Delusion' already upon us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a 'Strong Delusion' already upon us?

2 Thessalonian 2:9-12 states:

"The coming of the lawless one will be accompanied by the working of Satan, with every kind of power, sign, and false wonder, and with every wicked deception directed against those who are perishing, because they refused the love of the truth that would have saved them. For this reason, God will send them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie, in order that judgment will come upon all who have disbelieved the truth and delighted in wickedness."

I don't believe the 'powerful delusion' spoken of here is now upon us. My interpretation of the text says the strong delusion refers to the 'wicked deception' and 'false wonders' of the lawless one, who is yet future.

However, the text does say something which I believe applies to our day and time. It says the strong delusion will come upon those who "refused the love of the truth," and who "disbelieved the truth and delighted in wickedness." We have become increasingly a Christianity that Paul describes to Timothy: "For the time will come when men will not tolerate sound doctrine, but with itching ears they will gather around themselves teachers to suit their own desires."—2 Timothy 4:3. Many are primed right now to fall for the strong delusion.
    Love is patient, love is kind. . .

Yes, I very much believe that the strong delusion is upon the world today. The strong delusion is antecedent to the coming of the lawless one, and his coming wouldn't be possible without it. In times past, if a man were to claim deity and demand worship, he would be laughed off the stage. Today?

Comment

Originally posted by pdun459 View Post

"The coming of the lawless one will be accompanied by the working of Satan, with every kind of power, sign, and false wonder, and with every wicked deception directed against those who are perishing, because they refused the love of the truth that would have saved them. For this reason, God will send them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie, in order that judgment will come upon all who have disbelieved the truth and delighted in wickedness."

I don't believe the 'powerful delusion' spoken of here is now upon us. My interpretation of the text says the strong delusion refers to the 'wicked deception' and 'false wonders' of the lawless one, who is yet future.

However, the text does say something which I believe applies to our day and time. It says the strong delusion will come upon those who "refused the love of the truth," and who "disbelieved the truth and delighted in wickedness." We have become increasingly a Christianity that Paul describes to Timothy: "For the time will come when men will not tolerate sound doctrine, but with itching ears they will gather around themselves teachers to suit their own desires."—2 Timothy 4:3. Many are primed right now to fall for the strong delusion.
      The opposite of God's truth (will/desire of God in believers) is Satan's lie (will/desire of Satan in unbelievers).

Strong delusion is Satan's will/desire. It works out chaos, tribulation, affliction and sin in unbelievers. Strong delusion has since been sent to earth and it is at work in heirs of death by unbelief.
      Grace and peace unto you from God the Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ!

Comment

There have always been deceivers, but what concerns me is the systemic nature of the deception today. I believe there are still good churches, don't get me wrong. But they tend to be small and on the decline. The churches that are growing are preaching 'a different gospel' than the one I grew up with. At least it seems so to me.

Comment

He gave me the priestly duty of proclaiming the gospel of God, so that the Gentiles might become an offering acceptable to God, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.
          Therefore I glory in Christ Jesus...Romans 15:15-17

... It says the strong delusion will come upon those who "refused the love of the truth," and who "disbelieved the truth and delighted in wickedness." We have become increasingly a Christianity that Paul describes to Timothy: "For the time will come when men will not tolerate sound doctrine, but with itching ears they will gather around themselves teachers to suit their own desires."—2 Timothy 4:3. Many are primed right now to fall for the strong delusion.
          But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth. 14 He called you to this through our gospel, that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Thessalonians 2:12-14

Comment

There have always been deceivers, but what concerns me is the systemic nature of the deception today. I believe there are still good churches, don't get me wrong. But they tend to be small and on the decline. The churches that are growing are preaching 'a different gospel' than the one I grew up with. At least it seems so to me.
            A lot of churches are conforming today and choosing their own self determined beliefs which is what happened to the faithful people of God right before the flood. I guess history repeats itself and with the same consequences

Comment

2Th 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
              2Th 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
              2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
              2Th 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
              2Th 2:5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
              2Th 2:6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
              2Th 2:7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
              2Th 2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
              2Th 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
              2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
              2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
              2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

The strong delusion from God only is sent to reinforce the lie being told and that lie is only told at a certain time, not just all the time. It is the lie of tehn man of sin being God that God wants some people to believe so He sends strong delusion.

The lie and the strong delusion to believe that lie does not exist until the person telling the lie is here and lying to people. That only happens during the 42 months.
              James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

We are now in the time of the falling away. Just look around and see how laws are made to justify sin.
                2Th 2: 3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man be revealed, the son of perdition;

Comment

Originally posted by angelmike View Post

We are now in the time of the falling away. Just look around and see how laws are made to justify sin.
                  2Th 2: 3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man be revealed, the son of perdition;
                  No. The falling away spoken has not occurred. The falling away is the event when those receive the mark of the beast.

Comment

Originally posted by ewq1938 View Post

The lie and the strong delusion to believe that lie does not exist until the person telling the lie is here and lying to people. That only happens during the 42 months.
                    Correct. And the falling away are those then believing the lie and receiving the mark of the beast.

Comment

Yes, this speaks of a special delusion associated with the Antichrist. Since he has not appeared yet, neither has the delusion. And you are right, the passage also refers to unbelievers today, who have their own problems with a lack of love for the truth. I would go so far as to say there is even a delusion, of sorts, today, which does not refer to Antichrist himself, but rather, to the antichrists of history. There have been "many antichrists already."

Comment

Originally posted by ross3421 View Post

No. The falling away spoken has not occurred. The falling away is the event when those receive the mark of the beast.
                        Come on chappie, read the script again and you will see, first the falling away and then the AC

Comment

Originally posted by ewq1938 View Post

The strong delusion from God only is sent to reinforce the lie being told and that lie is only told at a certain time, not just all the time. It is the lie of tehn man of sin being God that God wants some people to believe so He sends strong delusion.

This is pretty much my position.

Comment

The 'apostasy' may in some way be related to the restrainer. When the restrainer is taken out of the way, this triggers the apostasy ('falling away' in some translations) and subsequent appearing of the 'lawless one.' For he can't be revealed until the restrainer is removed.

Comment

Originally posted by angelmike View Post

Come on chappie, read the script again and you will see, first the falling away and then the AC
                              Actually, it sounds to me as if the falling away and the appearance of Antichrist are simultaneous. The beginning of the rule and policies of the Antichrist are an expression of rebellion against God, and as such they are the same thing. It really depends on how you read it.

It would be like the Germans electing Hitler to be chancellor of Germany. Both the initiation of Hitler's evil policies and the German people's choice to elect his party constituted a rebellion against God. Paul seemed to be arguing that until this event, ie the Antichristian rebellion, takes place Christ cannot yet come for his Church.

Comment

Working...
                              X