No announcement yet.

Satan is bound for a thousand years ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satan is bound for a thousand years ...

It has been a year and a half since I wrote this post that I am reposting in a new thread

Originally posted by Christinme View Post
    Re: MILLENIUM: Future, not present

This morning I have been doing a bit more research on this 1000 years in Revelation 20 ... here is what I have found ...

Some places we see "a thousand years", some places we see "the thousand years" ...

Some verses the greek manuscripts are consistant in what they say (they agree as to which it would be), some verses the greek manuscripts are not consistant in what they say (they don't agree as to which it would be) ...

χίλια ἔτη = a thousand years

τὰ χίλια ἔτη = the thousand years

The verses where the greek manuscripts are consistant are:

vs 2, vs 3, vs 5, and vs 7

https://biblehub.com/texts/revelation/20-2.htm

https://biblehub.com/texts/revelation/20-3.htm

https://biblehub.com/texts/revelation/20-5.htm

https://biblehub.com/texts/revelation/20-7.htm

The verses where the greek manuscripts are NOT consistant are:

vs 4 and vs 6

https://biblehub.com/texts/revelation/20-4.htm

https://biblehub.com/texts/revelation/20-6.htm

So I am going to put the text up with a ? in the places where the greek manuscripts are not consistant ...

Revelation 20

2 And he laid hold of the dragon, the serpent of old, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years;

3 and he threw him into the abyss, and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he would not deceive the nations any longer, until the thousand years were completed; after these things he must be released for a short time.

4 Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for ? thousand years.

5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed. This is the first resurrection.

6 Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with Him for ? thousand years.

7 When the thousand years are completed, Satan will be released from his prison,

I am just going to post this without my own commentary, I will comment on it in further posts ...
    Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
    For You are the God of my salvation;
    On You I wait all the day.

Psalms 25:5

So the two places where they say that we reign with Christ it is not consistent in the manuscripts that it is a thousand years ... but the places where it says satan is bound it is consistent for a thousand years ... that is what I noticed way back then but no one picked up on from my post way back then ...

Comment

Thus far is not entirely clear to me as to what you are trying to convey here?

Comment

Whether you write "a" or "the" in the two verses makes virtually no difference. It is interesting that the inconsistent words are for the period of reigning, however as this is clearly contingent on the period that Satan is bound, then the understanding is clear regardless.

Comment

My point is that Satan is bound a thousand years ... yes Christ reigns during this time ... and reigns with His saints during this time ... BUT

that does not mean Christ only has a thousand year reign ... or even that He reigns with His saints for only a thousand years ...

Only thing this tells us is that Satan is bound for a thousand years and during this time Christ reigns and reigns with His saints ...

Comment

My point is that Satan is bound a thousand years ... yes Christ reigns during this time ... and reigns with His saints during this time ... BUT

that does not mean Christ only has a thousand year reign ... or even that He reigns with His saints for only a thousand years ...

Only thing this tells us is that Satan is bound for a thousand years and during this time Christ reigns and reigns with His saints ...
            It helps to know the purpose for which the thousand years is given. It is not only the time for Satan's binding, but also the time when disembodied souls are reigning with the Lord. Most see the thousand years only as the time given for Satan to be bound. But since saints are dying during this time, is it not also important to understand this is the time given for the Gospel to accomplish the purpose of building the Kingdom of God through the Church (saints/witnesses) on earth, through the power of the Holy Spirit?

Comment

Originally posted by RogerW View Post
              It helps to know the purpose for which the thousand years is given. It is not only the time for Satan's binding, but also the time when disembodied souls are reigning with the Lord. Most see the thousand years only as the time given for Satan to be bound. But since saints are dying during this time, is it not also important to understand this is the time given for the Gospel to accomplish the purpose of building the Kingdom of God through the Church (saints/witnesses) on earth, through the power of the Holy Spirit?
              You need to be REALLY careful. God hates Mediums. No disembodied soul will ever reign with God. He is the God of the living and NOT the dead.
              This is why the Resurrection is taught as a KEY aspect of Christian belief - UNTIL we are resurrected then we do NOT reign with Him. This is why Rev 20 explicitly states they live, and are NOT dead. They are NOT disembodied souls.

Comment

Originally posted by ForHisglory View Post
                You need to be REALLY careful. God hates Mediums. No disembodied soul will ever reign with God. He is the God of the living and NOT the dead.
                This is why the Resurrection is taught as a KEY aspect of Christian belief - UNTIL we are resurrected then we do NOT reign with Him. This is why Rev 20 explicitly states they live, and are NOT dead. They are NOT disembodied souls.
                The souls seen in heaven are not DEAD, they are alive through the Spirit of God in them. Only their body died, but alive (souls) they went as spirit body to be with the Lord in heaven after death. Because the life we receive in Christ is FOREVER. The life we receive from Christ that is FOREVER is not physical life, but spiritual life.

Comment

Jesus is spiritually reigning now in the hearts of believers but he will also reign physically when he returns. It's important to distinguish between the two. Now, with regards to Satan, he is still free and roaming the earth. But he will be bound for the 1000 year after Armageddon.

Comment

Good luck arguing with Roger!
                    By the time you are through, you'll be wondering whether you both read the same Bible.

Comment

Does the text prohibit the understanding that the believers reigns with Christ for 1000 years, but not necessarily they themselves for the whole time? With other words could believers reign with Christ for the period of 1000 years, but Christ is the only one reigning the whole time and they just for a period of their lives?

I do not want this to be a discussion of your understanding of dispensationalism or understanding of end times, but if the grammar would allow such an understanding or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalahari View Post

Does the text prohibit the understanding that the believers reigns with Christ for 1000 years, but not necessarily they themselves for the whole time? With other words could believers reign with Christ for the period of 1000 years, but Christ is the only one reigning the whole time and they just for a period of their lives?

I do not want this to be a discussion of your understanding of dispensationalism or understanding of end times, but if the grammar would allow such an understanding or not.
                        You make a good point Kalahari! Not only does the grammar allow for believers to reign within this period likened to a thousand years, but one could argue there is no other way to make sense of the thousand years. Both the reign and Satan's binding are concurrent during this time likened to a thousand years. Christ is reigning since He ascended to heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father, and the thousand years is the period of time believers reign with Him. Therefore the thousand years during which time Satan is bound, is the Gospel age, and it is during this symbolic time, likened to a thousand years, that one partakes of the first resurrection and promised the second death has no power over them.

Comment

You are right! The time likened to a thousand years equates to time given for building the Kingdom of God through the Gospel and power of the Holy Spirit. So while it is true that Christ reigns during this time, it is also true that His reign never ends. For when He comes again at the end of this period likened to a thousand years, His reign with His saints will move from heaven to the New Earth, as the Holy City, New Jerusalem. Then His reign that began in time will continue forever.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerW View Post
                            The souls seen in heaven are not DEAD, they are alive through the Spirit of God in them. Only their body died, but alive (souls) they went as spirit body to be with the Lord in heaven after death. Because the life we receive in Christ is FOREVER. The life we receive from Christ that is FOREVER is not physical life, but spiritual life.
                            Sorry, but you said they are disembodied souls. A disembodied soul is DEAD. It is what we would call a ghost. Rev 20 states categorically that they came to life from being dead. To come to life REQUIRES being given a BODY.
                            There is NO SUCH thing as a spirit body. There is BODY, SOUL and SPIRIT.
                            Now if you believe (erroneously) that a spirit is alive whilst dead then you make Rev 20 meaningless as you ALREADY have them being alive BEFORE they come to life, which is a clear fallacy.
                            The life we receive from Christ is like His which is BOTH SPIRITUAL and PHYSICAL. It is NOT one and not the other, but BOTH, just as Christ is BOTH and was resurrected with a PHYSICAL BODY.

Comment

Sorry, but you said they are disembodied souls. A disembodied soul is DEAD. It is what we would call a ghost. Rev 20 states categorically that they came to life from being dead. To come to life REQUIRES being given a BODY.
                              There is NO SUCH thing as a spirit body. There is BODY, SOUL and SPIRIT.
                              Now if you believe (erroneously) that a spirit is alive whilst dead then you make Rev 20 meaningless as you ALREADY have them being alive BEFORE they come to life, which is a clear fallacy.
                              The life we receive from Christ is like His which is BOTH SPIRITUAL and PHYSICAL. It is NOT one and not the other, but BOTH, just as Christ is BOTH and was resurrected with a PHYSICAL BODY.
                              Actually it is called a living (soul) spirit!

1Co 15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

1Co 15:48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
                              1Co 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

Mt 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
                              Mt 22:31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
                              Mt 22:32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Lu 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
                              Lu 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Comment

Working...
                              X