Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Paul show that the nations aren’t deceived anymore in Acts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Did Paul show that the nations aren’t deceived anymore in Acts?

Acts 14:14-16
    14 But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of it, they tore their robes and rushed out into the crowd, crying out 15 and saying, “Men, why are you doing these things? We are also men of the same nature as you, and preach the gospel to you that you should turn from these vain things to a living God, who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all that is in them. 16 In the generations gone by He permitted all the nations to go their own ways;

I believe that Paul was saying that satan was finally bound by deceiving the nations in the verses above what do you think?

Obviously Paul was saying that something had changed in his time.

Originally posted by marty fox View Post
    14 But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of it, they tore their robes and rushed out into the crowd, crying out 15 and saying, “Men, why are you doing these things? We are also men of the same nature as you, and preach the gospel to you that you should turn from these vain things to a living God, who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all that is in them. 16 In the generations gone by He permitted all the nations to go their own ways;

I believe that Paul was saying that satan was finally bound by deceiving the nations in the verses above what do you think?

Nope Paul was not even hinting that the nations are no longer deceived.
    The following verse clarifies:
    Act 14:17 Yet he did not leave himself without witness, for he did good by giving you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, satisfying your hearts with food and gladness.”

You see Paul says that the Gentiles HAD a witness about God. Rather Paul notes that there is a NEW witness. This is the CHANGE Paul was highlighting.

Comment

Originally posted by ForHisglory View Post
      Nope Paul was not even hinting that the nations are no longer deceived.
      The following verse clarifies:
      Act 14:17 Yet he did not leave himself without witness, for he did good by giving you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, satisfying your hearts with food and gladness.”

You see Paul says that the Gentiles HAD a witness about God. Rather Paul notes that there is a NEW witness. This is the CHANGE Paul was highlighting.
      Its more than that history proves it. On the day of Pentecost Jews from all nations heard the gospel and the book of Acts tells us that God told Peter and Paul to proclaim the gospel to the gentile nations and it spread all over the known world during Paul's days.

Comment

I think I agree. Clearly, what Paul was saying was that in the past (before Christ came) God allowed all the Gentile nations to go their own ways. I see that ForHisglory pointed out that they did have some witness about God, but it did not have the same power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. 17 For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last,[e] just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.

Clearly, the witness of the gospel is a more powerful witness than "the rains from heaven and fruitful seasons" that people experienced in Old Testament times.

To deny that anything changed when Christ came makes no sense to me.

Ephesians 2:11 Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called “uncircumcised” by those who call themselves “the circumcision” (which is done in the body by human hands)— 12remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

Notice that Paul indicates that before Christ came, the Gentiles were "far away" from God. They had no real understanding of who God is and how much He loved them and wanted them to be saved. The gospel changed all of that. It brought those who were "far away" to be "near by the blood of Christ".

How can anyone not recognize how much of an effect Christ's death and resurrection had on the world? The Gentiles who were once far away from God were brought near. Being once far away in OT times and then near in NT times is clearly a major change! Did this change affect Satan? Absolutely, it did.

Hebrews 2:14 Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— 15 and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death.

This shows that before Christ died and rose again, people were "in slavery by their fear of death". Christ died so that He would "break the power of him who holds the power of death--that is, the devil". The devil was able to keep all (or a vast majority) of the Gentile people in slavery to the fear of death before Christ came, but not after that. Satan was bound from making people slaves to the fear of death by the preaching of the gospel which sets people free from that by giving them the hope of eternal life. No longer do people have to fear death with no hope of eternal life because they can obtain that through faith in Christ.

Comment

Its more than that history proves it. On the day of Pentecost Jews from all nations heard the gospel and the book of Acts tells us that God told Peter and Paul to proclaim the gospel to the gentile nations and it spread all over the known world during Paul's days.
          Weird claim. Totally unrelated to nations being deceived.
          As the Jews were ALREADY in all nations, so the OT had ALREADY been taken to those places.
          The Gospel ONLY started from Pentecost in its new form and its spread has NOTHING to do with a lack of deception of nations.
          I think the confusion is over what "deception" means for the nations.

Comment

Rom 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
            Rom 16:18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
            Rom 16:19 For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.
            Rom 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

At the time of this writing Satan God had not caused Satan to be bruised under their feet despite spreading the gospel as much as they could. Revelation assures that the first time Satan is unable to deceive the nations is after the GT has ended, Christ has returned, Satan's beast and FP and their armies killed and defeated and THEN will Satan be imprisoned and be unable to deceive the nations that are currently deceived by him.

2Co 2:5 But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all.
            2Co 2:6 Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many.
            2Co 2:7 So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
            2Co 2:8 Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him.
            2Co 2:9 For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things.
            2Co 2:10 To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;
            2Co 2:11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.

Even the Apostles had to be careful not to be taken advantage by Satan which teaches us that we should not underestimate Satan and that is just as true today.
            James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

1Th_2:18 Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us.

Satan was able to hinder them! How in the world does Amillennialism justify that Satan was unable to deceive the nations when he could hinder even the

Apostles? Unbelieving people of the nations wouldn't stand a chance!
              James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

Originally posted by ewq1938 View Post
                1Th_2:18 Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us.

Satan was able to hinder them! How in the world does Amillennialism justify that Satan was unable to deceive the nations when he could hinder even the

I can see how you think that if you don’t understand what the binding is. Once again it’s about the gospel not physical

Comment

I can see how you think that if you don’t understand what the binding is. Once again it’s about the gospel not physical
                  Satan is not only bound with a chain but shut up and sealed in the pit. You show that you don't understand the binding by leaving out the rest and not understanding it is a physical restraint with the chain wrapped around Satan then he is cast into his prison. It has nothing to do with the gospel because as scripture shows, the gospel did nothing to stop Satan from hindering the Apostles job of spreading that same gospel! Even the Apostles had to be careful not to be taken advantage by Satan which teaches us that we should not underestimate Satan and that is just as true today.

Comment

The gospel was and is being preached so that "the nations" (we) would not be deceived anymore. It's disturbing that Christians don't understand this, or think satans binding is for someone else.

Comment

What happened to "the camp of the saints" when satan gathered his great army to harm us? Fire came down from God and destroyed the devil's army, They weren't able to separate us from the live of God in Christ.

We need to get away from interpreting scripture with the mind of the flesh. We need to interpret scripture with the mind of Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by ewq1938 View Post

Did you stand a chance?

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
                          The gospel was and is being preached so that "the nations" (we) would not be deceived anymore. It's disturbing that Christians don't understand this, or think satans binding is for someone else.
                          Well said journeyman man thanks for your input

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
                            What is disturbing is that anyone - and there are a good number of Christians in this group - can somehow confuse a REMOVAL of deception through the preaching of the gospel WITH there being NO deception because Satan is removed from the equation.
                            You see what Reve 20 states is that BECAUSE Satan is bound so there is NOT deception. There is NO need for a gospel to remove deception because the deception is NOT there.
                            Satan's binding is as stated so that he can no longer deceive any nations. So by the angel (not Christians and not Jesus and not the gospel) binding Satan
                            and placing him in the pit so there is NO MORE deceived nations. This clearly does NOT speak about the present situation, for the nations ARE in deception and are only brought out of that deception through the preaching of the gospel.
                            Rev 20 has a one off event, but Amil makes it happening on the individual level CONTRARY to what is PLAINLY stated. This is an example of Doctrine taking the place of good exegesis.

Comment

There is no doubt that the world was enslaved by a great darkness that covered the earth and that Jesus, being the light of the world, freed men from that darkness. John says that Jesus was the light of men. Truth is the antidote to lies.

But I don't see where Paul suggests that human beings, without Satan's influence, would naturally believe the Gospel message. As he says in Romans, unbelief is a not a matter of being deceived, unbelief is the result of purposely suppressing what is already known.

Romans 1:21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

From the passage above we see the cause and effect relationship between suppressing knowledge about God and a foolish, dark, hardened heart. These people were not deceived. They knew God. Knowledge concerning God was available to them. But they did not honor God or give him thanks, which is why they eventually became futile in their speculations.

The spread of the Gospel was made possible, not by the binding of Satan, but by the light of the world propagated by evangelists and the Holy Spirit, who opened dark hearts to accept the truth.

Comment

Working...
                              X