"Look at the fig tree..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Look at the fig tree..."

"Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."

Then He spoke to them in a parable: "Look at the fig tree, and all the trees. When they are already budding, you see and know for yourselves that summer is now near."

"So you also, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near." (Luke 21:28-31)

___

What I wanted to highlight quickly in this thread is that 1. Jesus equates the kingdom of God to the redemption of the saints (or, "summer" in His parable), and 2. He equates the budding fig tree, not to Israel, but to the unfolding events leading up to the desolation of Jerusalem.

Thoughts? Comments?
    analyze. synthesize. repeat.

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

Thank you for this post....
    I have to say, the Lord is talking to me continuously about the Fig tree.... He keeps saying....Look at the fig-tree
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

Comment

Originally posted by astrongerthanhe View Post
      "Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."

Then He spoke to them in a parable: "Look at the fig tree, and all the trees. When they are already budding, you see and know for yourselves that summer is now near."

"So you also, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near." (Luke 21:28-31)

___

What I wanted to highlight quickly in this thread is that 1. Jesus equates the kingdom of God to the redemption of the saints (or, "summer" in His parable), and 2. He equates the budding fig tree, not to Israel, but to the unfolding events leading up to the desolation of Jerusalem.

Thoughts? Comments?
      But did Jesus not say the following would happen first?

Mt 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
      Mt 24:10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
      Mt 24:11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

Firstfruits

Comment

"What I wanted to highlight quickly in this thread is that 1. Jesus equates the kingdom of God to the redemption of the saints (or, "summer" in His parable), and 2. He equates the budding fig tree, not to Israel, but to the unfolding events leading up to the desolation of Jerusalem.
        Good insight there!

I do not know of any "redemption" that occurred in 70 AD. I would therefore say that Luke 21:28-31) is confirming the second coming context of much of Luke 21. 70 AD is being referred to in Luke 21, but the chapter is mainly about the second coming.

As for the fig tree, I believe people see too much into it. As you say, it is about the unfolding of events. When we see the springtime budding of nature, we know summer is near, in the same way, when we see certain signs, our redemption is near.

Comment

"Look at the fig tree..." (Luke 21:28)
          Perhaps a couple of other Jesus parables concerning the Fig Tree might add to the discussion.

Luke 13:6 "Jesus spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down. "

Mark 11:11 And Jesus entered into Jerusalem...And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry: And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet. And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it. And when even was come, he went out of the city. And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots. And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away."
          planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on

Comment

David, have you ever wondered why the fig tree was planted in the Vine-yard??
            The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
            God plants in our hearts
            to remind us
            -Holley Gerth

Comment

Thank you Ta-An,

You just turned on a fresh new light on that fig tree planted in the vine-yard. TWTaylor

Comment

Originally posted by T W Taylor View Post
                Thank you Ta-An,

You just turned on a fresh new light on that fig tree planted in the vine-yard. TWTaylor
                What are your views about the Fig-tree in the Vine-yard??
                The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
                God plants in our hearts
                to remind us
                -Holley Gerth

Comment

The fig tree has alwys been a symbol for the Nation of Israel.

Adam and Eve sewed what kind of leaves together to make themselves clothes?

Figs are full of seeds...(wonder why that is important...LOL)

But in the Olivet discourse in Matthew Jesus speaks back to the fig tree earlier in that day saying that when that dead fig tree is brought back to life that it's redemption (similar redemption as women faced with bearing children or not having children) was now at hand.

Luke on the other hand when writing the Olivet discourse says that any kind of tree getting ready to bear fruit. (an obvious differentiation from the fig tree and more to speaking about something a little different)

So...there is the difference.
                  The question now is....what do the differences really refer to?

Comment

Hello Ta-An,

Quote - What are your views about the Fig-tree in the Vine-yard??

The fig tree, that is not producing fruit, that was planted among the vines, will be fertilized (with maybe, something of the truth of God) and we already know the end. They will produce fruit. (before you and David posted, I had no view on this) TWTaylor

Comment

___

Thoughts? Comments?
                      Would any of you take this one step further and equate v.20 to vv.28-31?
                      In other words, equating "your redemption", "summer", and "the kingdom of God" to "Jerusalem's desolation"?

"But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near." (Luke 21:20)

Just wondering...

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

Comment

In other words, equating "your redemption", "summer", and "the kingdom of God" to "Jerusalem's desolation"?

"But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near." (Luke 21:20)

Just wondering...
                        The Kingdom of God is something Holy.

Holyness isn't a passive existance...it has a positive reaction upon error/sin.

We, as sinful creatures, have no chance to live in the presence of something that holy...so guess what?
                        All of creation will destroy that which is unholy to get back to a pure holy state.

Caution is always highly reccomended when coming into contact with that which is holy.

Comment

Just wondering...
                          Did I totally just catch everyone off guard with this one? Sorry!

Comment

Hello Astrongerthanhe, I saw something new!! But I donít see anything about the Abomination of Desolation, You will have to prime the pump and give me a little more. TWTaylor

Comment

___

Thoughts? Comments?
                              First, it's worth nothing that our personal redemption was purchased at the cross. And so when Jesus says "your redemption draws near", he is talking about the redemption of the nation of Israel as a nation, not personal redemption for individuals. The nation of Israel is being pictured as a dead-looking tree that "comes back to life" in the summer when it gets its leafs. Until 1948, Israel had been a dead tree. That is, for all intents and purposes, Israel had no life in it. The people no longer had a country, being forced to live in exile for these many years. Then, at a significant point in recent history, Israel, as a nation, came back to life. Perhaps her leafs are just budding now but soon it will be "summer" and her leafs will be green. When that day comes, her redemption will be near as the kingdom of God is also near.

Comment

Working...
                              X