Babylon Under Construction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babylon Under Construction?

Dubai (AFP) - The world’s tallest building just got taller — the Burj Dubai tower in the booming Gulf emirate of Dubai has now reached a height of 688 metres (2,257 feet) and is still growing, developers Emaar said on Tuesday.

Read more.
    ----------------------------------------------
    When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Dubai Ziggurat to House 1 Million

http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/08/25/...use-1-million/

Can anybody say "Tower of Babel, Part Two?"

Feast your eyes on our oil dollars hard at work............

Comment

It's a big tower. So, where's the "Babylon-esque" quality to it?

The Sears Tower, the CN Tower, KVLY-TV Mast were, respectively, the tallest structures in the world in their own times. Just because someone builds a bigger-structure doesn't make it Babylon. At one point the Empire State Building was phenomenally tall: it was nearly twice as tall as the previous tallest building. But people weren't pointing fingers and saying "Babylon" then. (And if anyone was, they were wrong...)

And the second one, the ziggurat? For one, it's not the "Tower of Babel Part 2." If anything, the first building you posted would have been the "Second Tower of Babel," since it aims to be the tallest man-made structure, which is, as the Bible says, the reason mankind tried to make the Tower. This is just... a ziggurat that can allegedly house a million people (no one said "comfortably" yet). Again - Tower of Babel = Tallest Structure, Dubai Ziggurat = Pyramid/City.

And as someone on that website mentioned (I feel this is a good point), the Ziggurat will house 1,000,000 people. The whole country doesn't even have 3,000,000 people. Who's going to move-in to fill the city? And once that happens, what about expansion? It's "the greatest real estate glut in human history." (Besides, I would hate to be one of the 900,000 people who got stuck without any sunlight.)
      To This Day

Comment

I have been arguing since before I joined this forum that Muslims are the vehicle through which the Antichrist is going to initially appear. (The Mahdi) If that's true then the Babylon of Revelation 18 would need to be in Islamic territory, meaning that some world class city that could be seen at some point in the future as the focus of the world's economy would have to be in existence there. Until recenty, no city anywhere in the entire Middle East could remotely make such a claim. But now, with the explosion of state of the art construction going on in Dubai, we have a city that is fighting hard and fast to become just such a city.

I'm not suggesting that, by golly, this is Babylon. I would actually tend to take a more literal interpretation, that the actual city of Babylon is going to be built back up to an even greater glorty than in the days of Nebuchadnezzar. But the work in Dubai is certainly interesting in view of an Islamic antichrist.....

Comment

Originally posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
          I'm not suggesting that, by golly, this is Babylon.
          I'm sorry, I was a little confused when the title of the thread says "Babylon Under Construction" then links to a bunch of photos of buildings under construction.
          To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by markedward View Post
            I'm sorry, I was a little confused when the title of the thread says "Babylon Under Construction" then links to a bunch of photos of buildings under construction.
            Well, I am suggesting the possibility, don't get me wrong.

Comment

Look at the EU building if you want to see the Tower of Babel part 2
              sigpic

Comment

LL,

I saw an article about the Dubai Tower yesterday and very nearly posted something about it (I was going to use Roelof's news thread). The funny thing is, this bit of news just felt important to me from an end-times perspective, but I couldn't pinpoint why. Are there any eschatological references to anything we could map to tall buildings?

I agree with you fully on Islam. The UAE is an interesting case, being Muslim but very westernized. But it sits right across the Strait of Hormuz from Iran. Surrounded by radicalism, I just can't see how they will survive.
                In Christ,

-- Rev

“To preserve the government we must also preserve morals. Morality rests on religion; if you destroy the foundation, the superstructure must fall. When the public mind becomes vitiated and corrupt, laws are a nullity and constitutions are waste paper.” – Daniel Webster, 4th of July, 1800, Oration at Hanover, N.H.

Comment

Originally posted by Revolvr View Post
                  Are there any eschatological references to anything we could map to tall buildings?
                  This is precisely what a person shouldn't do when it comes to Scripture.

You have found something, deemed it important, and hence try to find a point in Scripture to read this something into. Eisegesis. Rather, you should read Scripture, see what it deems as important, and wait to see what lines up with that. Exegesis.

In this case, you have seen the Dubai Tower, "felt" that it is related to the end-times, and now are trying to find Scripture that you can fit the Dubai Tower (or similar things) into. It's just not the right way to go about reading Scripture.
                  To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by Revolvr View Post
                    I saw an article about the Dubai Tower yesterday and very nearly posted something about it (I was going to use Roelof's news thread). The funny thing is, this bit of news just felt important to me from an end-times perspective, but I couldn't pinpoint why. Are there any eschatological references to anything we could map to tall buildings?

I agree with you fully on Islam. The UAE is an interesting case, being Muslim but very westernized. But it sits right across the Strait of Hormuz from Iran. Surrounded by radicalism, I just can't see how they will survive.
                    This is precisely what a person shouldn't do when it comes to Scripture.

You have found something, deemed it important, and hence try to find a point in Scripture to read this something into. Eisegesis. Rather, you should read Scripture, see what it deems as important, and wait to see what lines up with that. Exegesis.

In this case, you have seen the Dubai Tower, "felt" that it is related to the end-times, and now are trying to find Scripture that you can fit the Dubai Tower (or similar things) into. It's just not the right way to go about reading Scripture.
                    Revelation 18 speaks of a city that is closely associated with the Antichrist and that also is critically important to the world's economy. Assuming that I'm correct that the Antichrist will have Islamic origins, it only makes sense to look for such a city within the borders of an Islamic country. I'm not saying anything about tall buildings in the Bible. You won't find anything about tall buildings being prophecied in the end times.

But it should be pretty obvious that a city like the one in Revelation 18 is probably going to have tall buildings. And if there can be a connection established between such a city and Babel of Genesis 11, then it becomes all the more significant, because the Tower of Babel is the true origin of Islam. Not some bedouin "prophet" in the 7th Century, AD. That was only when Islam was given its name. It had already been around for centuries before that, all the way back to Nimrod.

It is entirely possible that Dubai will have no prophetic significance whatsoever. But is there anything wrong with keeping an eye on it in light of the Islamic connection?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe King View Post
                      Look at the EU building if you want to see the Tower of Babel part 2
                      The EU is fast becoming Islamic. They have no more to do with the Antichrist than Mars.

Comment

Breathtaking pics Luke.

Probably nothing to do with prophecy, but the pics are awesome!

On the subject of an Islamic antichrist system, Im inclined to agree but I think their centre of gravity will shift to Europe.
                        "Your name and renown
                        is the desire of our hearts."
                        (Isaiah 26:8)

Comment

The OP pic is really impressive.
                          I get vertigo just looking at it.

I wonder how long the elevator ride is to the top.

Even more, how long to get down in an emergency - like the Twin Towers?

And, how many get 'sea sick' from the swaying at that altitude (after all, the structure can't be that rigid)?

As to the Ziggurat, the traffic in and out of the place must be mind-boggling. You would have to work inside the building, or you would probably have a 10 hour commute each day.
                          It's pretty, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
                            But it should be pretty obvious that a city like the one in Revelation 18 is probably going to have tall buildings.
                            Why should it be "pretty obvious"? All I see being described is a sinful city. This could be Jerusalem or Rome or New York or Las Vegas or Calcutta or Paris or whatever. Nothing implies that there will be "tall buildings" in Babylon.

And if there can be a connection established between such a city and Babel of Genesis 11, then it becomes all the more significant, because the Tower of Babel is the true origin of Islam.
                            This doesn't have much Biblical foundation, I'd say, considering the Tower of Babel would have been circa... 2500 BC, while Islam came around in the 7th century.

Not some bedouin "prophet" in the 7th Century, AD. That was only when Islam was given its name. It had already been around for centuries before that, all the way back to Nimrod.
                            Now you are most definitely speaking non-Biblically. Bible canon does not connect Nimrod to the building of the Tower of Babel, nor does it connect him to false religions. The moment you start accepting non-canon writings as Scriptural is the moment you're going to have false beliefs about certain things - in this case your eschatology, and history, are being affected.
                            To This Day

Comment

Why should it be "pretty obvious"? All I see being described is a sinful city. This could be Jerusalem or Rome or New York or Las Vegas or Calcutta or Paris or whatever. Nothing implies that there will be "tall buildings" in Babylon.
                              I guess I have to spell it out for you. First of all, each of the cities you mentioned has “tall buildings” (with Jerusalem being the one possible exception). But the most important point in Revelation 18 is that the “kings of the earth”, the “merchants of the earth”, and every sea captain are going to mourn for this city when it’s destroyed. This is a very economically important city when this prophecy is fulfilled. Now, would you please show me one single city anywhere in the entire world that is economically prominent on an international scale, such as this one is described to be, that doesn’t have tall buildings?
                              This doesn't have much Biblical foundation, I'd say, considering the Tower of Babel would have been circa... 2500 BC, while Islam came around in the 7th century.
                              Yes, I already mentioned that in the previous post. (Not the date 2500 BC, but Muhammad’s life being in the 7th Century. I’m not looking for a “Biblical” foundation here. It’s a historical foundation, as I’ll explain at the end of this post.
                              Now you are most definitely speaking non-Biblically. Bible canon does not connect Nimrod to the building of the Tower of Babel, nor does it connect him to false religions. The moment you start accepting non-canon writings as Scriptural is the moment you're going to have false beliefs about certain things - in this case your eschatology, and history, are being affected.
                              I’m not depending on any “non-canonical” Spiritual writings. I’m depending on simple history, which I have spent years researching regarding Islam and Muhammad.

The fact of the matter is that the concept of “Allah” was not original with Muhammad. The only thing that was original with Muhammad was approaching “Allah” from a monotheistic point of view. Muhammad had an angel appear to him (so he said) and give him certain revelations that he was ordered to pass on. These revelations became the bulk of the Qur’an. When this “angel” appeared to Muhammad, he concluded that there must be only one god, so he went to the Kaaba, his hometown of Mecca’s local “temple” and took out all the gods except the most prominent one, whose name was “El-lah”, the moon god. We know from history that worship of the moon god and the name “El-lah” had been around ever since the Tower of Babel and the time of Nimrod. "El-lah" was considered to be at his holiest stage in the crescent stage. Sound familiar? You won’t find this in the Bible. I’m not claiming it’s in there. But it’s still historical fact, just like the American Revolution that you also won’t find in the Bible. But for those of us who attempt to approach prophecy with an open mind and who consider the possibility that there might be a role for Islam in the end times, the connections between Biblical prophecy and Islam become so clear and obvious that it's quite astonishing that more people don't see it.

So there is indeed a direct connection between Islam and the Tower of Babel.

Now, would you please quit trying to shoot down an idea that you’re not familiar with just because it’s new to you without bothering to research the background behind it first?

Comment

Working...
                              X