Some people just go too far.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people just go too far.

Do you think this has any relative meaning to the end times?
    I wonder if it says anything in the Bible about stuff like this?
    What do you think of the outcome of this experiment? This could
    have a greater impact than a nuclear warhead going off. Check out
    the link!

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200..._collider.html

God bless us all,
    V.

Last edited by quiet dove; Sep 9th 2008, 07:24 PM. Reason: no edit, nothing changed

The site locked my computer up both times I tried to view it.

Comment

Originally posted by V34 View Post
      Do you think this has any relative meaning to the end times?
      Well, I guess EVERYTHING is a step toward the last day. But is this any more significant than the burger I'm having for lunch, or the ingenious way I solved a weeks old problem the other day? Probably not. The LHC isn't even the first of its kind. CERN has had a particle accelerator for ages. The LHC is just bigger, has more news coverage, and is chalk full of stuff that people don't understand. As such, it makes great fodder to fill in pet end-times theories.

I wonder if it says anything in the Bible about stuff like this?
      Nope. Definitely doesn't talk about large hadron colliders.

What do you think of the outcome of this experiment? This could have a greater impact than a nuclear warhead going off. Check out the link!
      Who says it could yield destructive force greater than an atomic bomb?
      Are they credible?
      Where is their science?
      Is it credible?

Comment

This is odd. I don't recall seeing all the people wearing "The End Is Near" billboard signs when we were building the Supercollider in Texas. There must be some other dynamic going on here.

Comment

Originally posted by IPet2_9 View Post
          This is odd. I don't recall seeing all the people wearing "The End Is Near" billboard signs when we were building the Supercollider in Texas. There must be some other dynamic going on here.
          Not at all. Its just a bigger apparatus and is the focus of more media attention.

Comment

This is the first time I have heard of this. Probably because I am not
            keen on Scientist. They are too proud and are constantly trying to
            disprove the bible and God. No biggy, just thought it was significant
            to post, guess not.

God Bless.

Comment

Not at all. Its just a bigger apparatus and is the focus of more media attention.
              It is not bigger than the Supercollider. This thing is only 17 miles in circumference. The SSC's diameter alone was longer than that.

Comment

It is not bigger than the Supercollider. This thing is only 17 miles in circumference. The SSC's diameter alone was longer than that.
                Hmm... according to National Geographic its the world's largest. Maybe they meant largest in terms of the energetic reactions they're going for. Anyway, I'm open to correction on it.

Comment

Hmm... according to National Geographic its the world's largest. Maybe they meant largest in terms of the energetic reactions they're going for. Anyway, I'm open to correction on it.
                  It is. But the reason why it is the world's largest (or is even being built at all) is because Bill Clinton killed the Supercollider. I think the SSC's circumference was going to be 54 miles, if completed. That thing was a monster--if you went down into the tunnel, you could never tell that it was a ring. I'm serious, that must have been the straightest tunnel I have seen in my life.

I just find it odd that all the doomsday theorists weren't around when the SSC was being built, yet here they are now....

Comment

Yeah, if anything this is just a sign of the last days. This can in no way be the end of the world if it does creat mini black holes. But I really do hope that it can't prove the Big Bang happened. Haha, a total shot in the back to my science classes if it can't!

Comment

It's not going to be able to prove/disprove the Big Bang. The energy level of the Big Bang is a few orders of magnitude higher. The goal of high-energy physicists right now is to unify all forms of energy (i.e. thermal, kinetic, nuclear, radiant, etc.) into one, and possibly also unify energy and matter into a single thing. Right now it's theorized (that's what Einstein's E=mc^2 is), but it's not really proven yet--mostly because we can't get a mass to move at light speed. These guys at the Hadron collider might be able to unify a couple forms of energy, but no way they're going to get them all. It's after that when you can start trying to prove the Big Bang.

Comment

It's not going to be able to prove/disprove the Big Bang. The energy level of the Big Bang is a few orders of magnitude higher. The goal of high-energy physicists right now is to unify all forms of energy (i.e. thermal, kinetic, nuclear, radiant, etc.) into one, and possibly also unify energy and matter into a single thing. Right now it's theorized (that's what Einstein's E=mc^2 is), but it's not really proven yet--mostly because we can't get a mass to move at light speed. These guys at the Hadron collider might be able to unify a couple forms of energy, but no way they're going to get them all. It's after that when you can start trying to prove the Big Bang.
                        I say they're going about it completely backwards. Lets get some mass and turn into energy please.

Comment

I say they're going about it completely backwards. Lets get some mass and turn into energy please
                          That's more-or-less what fission is all about. And that's basically what atom smashing is: fission. Well, sort of...they're smashing hydrogen ions. What's a hydrogen ion? A single proton (duh). So you're not exactly smashing atoms into smaller atoms, like fission does. They fracture into smaller subatomic particles, which is what they want to analyze. And a lot of energy gets released in the process, similar to fission. So you're converting mass to energy.

But at the same time, you're also adding mass to the protons by sending them at near light speed. That's basically the gist of the whole experiment: convert energy to mass, convert mass to energy, analyze the trajectories of the deep-subatomic particles, and try to reverse-engineer mathematical equations to explain all the behaviors. If they can make the equations match the experimental results, then they will extrapolate the equations to see what the Big Bang would have done.

Problem is, they're not going to come up with a single equation to explain it all. Ain't gonna happen. At least, not this go-around. But it makes for a PR stunt, so that the Ph.D. physicists can justify to the general population why a multi-billion-dollar atom smasher is justified. (and I agree--it is justified--but I also see through the PR hype)

Comment

Seems to me if they would just believe God they could save themselves a lot of fruitless work - and trouble. So when it blows itself up, will the earth open up and swallow Switzerland and France?
                            Robin

Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
                            And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
                            Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
                            Those who compromise with Christís enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                            X