Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will AntiChrist Literally Rule The Whole World?(moved from BibleChat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will AntiChrist Literally Rule The Whole World?(moved from BibleChat)

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this message board! So here is the question, "Will the AntiChrist rule over the whole literal earth?" Growing up in a pre-trib Church I have always believe that yes, he most definitely would. Hey, it's what I've been taught, so it must be true, right? From Greenland to New Zealand, from Chile to Canada, from the eastern shores of Russia to the western mountains of Iceland and all 50 states of the good 'ol USA, all would be subjugated by him. But is this really Scriptural?

I've been doing some studying on this and from what I've been able to gather it appears that AntiChrist will not rule over the whole literal world as many if not most of us have have been taught. The whole world will not blindly follow him as a charismatic, charming yet deceptive global leader of false peace, though he would love for that to happen. But before entering a quick reply of "but the Bible says all people and nations" or "Scripture clearly states the whole earth", let's consider a few things for a moment. If that were so, then here are a couple of questions:

1. Why does he need to wage war with the saints?
    2. Why does he have to force his "mark"?
    3. Why is he grieved when powerful ships from the west move against him? (Daniel 11)
    4. Why do others wage war against him? (Daniel 11)
    5. If he rules the world, then why do seven "good shepherds" raise up against him? (Micah 5)

I believe that the hand of AntiChrist will only stretch by and large over the known world of that time, i.e, the middle eastern world and perhaps the muslim world as a whole, where he will have his greatest influence. When we read in Scripture terms such as "whole earth" or "whole world", how should we understand it? Let's consider the following examples of a figure of speech that is often found in Scripture called a synecdoche. This is a figure of speech known as a synecdoche by which a part is put for the whole, or the whole for a part. It is used repeatedly in the Bible when only a part is meant. We often use it daily by saying things such as "the whole city was there last night," or "everybody in town was there." If we meant such a statement literally we would be telling a falsehood unless it could actually be provable.

Here are some examples in Scripture:

Eze 32:4 "Then will I leave thee upon the land, I will cast thee forth upon the open field, and will cause all the fowls of the heaven to remain upon thee, and I will fill the beasts of the whole earth with thee." In this verse, we would not say that every single animal all over the world is going to be eating the bodies of the fallen. It is impossible. 99.99% of the 'beasts of the earth' will be living elsewhere.

Rom 1:8 "First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world." Obviously, we know that the faith of Christ was not spoken throughout the whole literal world at this time.

Luk 2:1 "And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed." There was never a time when Caesar literally taxed all of the world.

1Ki 10:24 "And all the earth sought to Solomon, to hear his wisdom, which God had put in his heart." Another example of hyperbole to make a point. The entire literal earth did not seek after Solomon's wisdom.

Dan 4:1 "Nebuchadnezzar the king, unto all people, nations, and languages, that dwell in all the earth; Peace be multiplied unto you." Nebuchadnezzar did not rule every single people and nation in the whole literal earth.

In Daniel 7:23 he spoke of a kingdom and said that the fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall be diverse from all kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces. It sounds like this was suppose to conquer the whole world, but this never happened. Once again we are looking at a part for a whole, or a whole for a part. Basically talking about that part of the world that surrounded the Mediterranean Sea.

When John was baptizing in Matt. 3: 5-6, we see something similar happening. We read, "Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judea, and all the region round about Jordan, And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins." This sounds as if every living soul in all of Judea, Jerusalem, and everyone in the region of Jordan were baptized by John. Where in reality it is a synecdoche letting us know that there was a very large number of people who were baptized by John. Judea is the whole Southern Kingdom of Israel, which at that time was Israel. We know for a fact that not everyone in Israel was baptized by John. John ended up being beheaded by his enemies, because He was hated by the Kings mistress and most of the religious leaders in Israel.

There are other examples of this, such as Acts 2:5, Romans 10:18, Col 1:23, etc.

Obviously, "all" does not always mean literally "all" when a synecdoche is used when looking at a part for a whole, or a whole for a part. Having said that, we know however that God did speak about all in the entire amount sense as long as there were not other Scriptures that revealed it in a different sense. For example: That all have sinned and fallen short; That all men can be saved; That Christ died for all. But when it comes to nations and Kings often times God gives us a clearer picture through other Scriptures to show us the difference.

When we closely research many of these portions of Scripture we begin to realize that the Antichrist will not take over the whole literal world and will not cause everyone in the whole world to take the mark of the beast. He would love to, but he will be unable to do this. The terms "all the world" and "the whole earth" and "all" must be understood in a figurative sense when used of a King of a kingdom of men. This is a figure of speech known as a synecdoche by which a part is put for the whole, or the whole for a part. It is used repeatedly in the Bible when only a part is meant. If we meant such a statement literally we would be telling a falsehood unless it could actually be provable. But the Bible does use it in this sense many times as I've showed above.

Some scriptures that convince many people that AntiChrist rules the whole literal earth are found in Rev.13:7-8, "And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations. And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world."

The word "all" in these scriptures is talking about everyone that he is able to get his hands on. In reality the Antichrist will be fighting wars "in the name of peace and justice" until the time of Armageddon. In order to force everyone in the literal earth to take the "mark" or worship him, he will first have to conquer them, but he won't be able to. The AntiChrist will be fighting a war for the whole last 3.5 years of the tribulation period (See Dan 9:26b, "..unto the end of the war desolations are determined"). Since he will be fighting other nations, it will be impossible for him to be the leader of the whole literal earth. In order for him to be the leader of the world he would first have to conquer every nation and every person in the world. He will never be able to accomplish this. He will fight wars right up to the Battle of Armageddon. This also proves that he will not make every single person in the world take the mark of the Beast (in my opinion, force them to submit to Islam). He would have to first conquer their nations and the world in order to enforce it, but like so many before him, he will fail.

What do you think?

For more reading on this, please visit this website.

I look at the world around me today, and I look at the prophesies of Daniel and Revelation.

In bible prophesy, I see the world in which I am living.

Dan and Rev focus a lot of their prophesies on the 4th kingdom/empire that would rule over men until the coming of the Son of Man in power.

Rev 13 puts a major focus on the last events prior to Jesus coming. Between the first beast, and the second beast, the whole world will be made to worship the first beast, and receive the mark of the beast, in order to be able to buy or sell.

Today we are living in the days of the roll out of rfid chip technology. It has been around for a while, but with advances in computer technology, both in the computing power, and in the reduction of size, this technology is now at the point where it can be implemented reasonably cheaply.

We are witnessing the development of major changes to our main forms of ID. Our passports and drivers licenses are about to receive one of these rfid chips. And there is a major upgrade happening with the computer databases of personal information which are used in conjunction with these forms of ID.

Each state of the USA, and in other nations around the world, these databases are being upgraded individually. However, it is also noted with concern, that these individual database systems are required to be interlinked. Not only between each state with in the USA, but also internationally. This means the development of a world wide interlinkable system of personal identification of any one any where any time. Live.

Add to this picture, the roll out of these rfid chips in every nation, going onto every product that you can buy or sell.

Add to this picture, the intergration of these rfid chips into the electronic banking system, by way of having a chip in your credit card, cash card, debit card, in your cheques, and in your money.

You now have a picture of the development on a global scale, of a system of identification, banking, travel, that affects every one. This places into the governments, or any one else in postion of power, the ability at the push of a button, to prevent you from buying and selling. Until now, you could do that with credit cards and cash cards, but people could still use money to do what they liked. But today things have changed. Many people today dont get paid in cash. Its all done electronically. Most today get their money by going into a bank, or to an ATM machine, or change from a shop. And when the chip goes into the money, they can link the money to you by the chip inside it, and the chip inside the plastic that you use to get the money. These systems are already being tested.

So, when I see the scriptures talking about the power of antichrist being over the whole world, I look at the above, and I can see very clearly, yes.

Comment

I don't think he'll have the entire world, no.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightwithDignity View Post
        So, when I see the scriptures talking about the power of antichrist being over the whole world, I look at the above, and I can see very clearly, yes.
        Scripture tells us that AntiChrist does not, or is unable to, control "Edom" and "Moab", which is now modern day Jordan. This is proof enough that AntiChrist does not rule the whole world.

Daniel 11:41, "He shall also enter the Glorious Land, and many countries shall be overthrown; but these shall escape from his hand: Edom, Moab, and the prominent people of Ammon."

Also note that in Daniel 11:29:31 powerful ships from the west come against AntiChrist when he invades Israel, and he is grieved by this. Why? He would only be grieved by this if they are stronger than he is. He is not powerful enough to fight them (In Scripture, anyone west of Cyprus was called Chittim):

Dan 11:29-31, "At the time appointed he shall return, and come toward the south; but it shall not be as the former, or as the latter. For the ships of Chittim shall come against him: therefore he shall be grieved, and return, and have indignation against the holy covenant: so shall he do; he shall even return, and have intelligence with them that forsake the holy covenant. And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate."

AntiChrist becomes indignant because he is humiliated in front of all of these other nations. Daniel said that he would have indignation against the Holy Covenant, which is acknowledging Israel's right to possess the land and be a nation. This indignation toward this covenant simply means that he regrets ever signing the treaty with Israel. Now that these western powers put him to shame, this makes him even more indignant. He begins to contact the other countries that he his previously made agreements with (mostly Islamic nations that he is given authority over), and from this point on it is war up until the end of the tribulation.

Also consider that in Micah 5:2-6 we read of seven "shephards" that come to Israel's rescue during the Tribulation.

Micah 5:2-6 "But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting. Therefore will he give them up, until the time that she which travaileth hath brought forth: then the remnant of his brethren shall return unto the children of Israel. And he shall stand and feed in the strength of the LORD, in the majesty of the name of the LORD his God; and they shall abide: for now shall he be great unto the ends of the earth. And this man shall be the peace, when the Assyrian shall come into our land: and when he shall tread in our palaces, then shall we raise against him seven shepherds, and eight principal men. And they shall waste the land of Assyria with the sword, and the land of Nimrod in the entrances thereof: thus shall he deliver us from the Assyrian, when he cometh into our land, and when he treadeth within our borders."

These scriptures out of Micah are telling us that out of Israel would come the Messiah (Jesus). That the Assyrian (AntiChrist) would invade Israel. When this happens Jesus would raise up seven shepherds (nations) and eight principal men (the first 7 are the leaders of the seven nations, the eighth is Christ Himself perhaps?).

(Read here for more information).

So, if you believe that AntiChrist does in fact literally rule over the whole world, then the questions that I would have are:

A. Why is AntiChrist "grieved" when western ships move against him?
        B. Why is AntiChrist engaged in wars up until the time of the end?
        C. How is it that seven nations, called "good shepherds" in Micah 5:3-6, raise up against him to come to Israel's defense?
        D. Why does AntiChrist only make peace "with many" and not bring peace to the whole world?

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
          Scripture tells us that AntiChrist does not, or is unable to, control "Edom" and "Moab", which is now modern day Jordan. This is proof enough that AntiChrist does not rule the whole world.

Daniel 11:41, "He shall also enter the Glorious Land, and many countries shall be overthrown; but these shall escape from his hand: Edom, Moab, and the prominent people of Ammon."

Also note that in Daniel 11:29:31 powerful ships from the west come against AntiChrist when he invades Israel, and he is grieved by this. Why? He would only be grieved by this if they are stronger than he is. He is not powerful enough to fight them (In Scripture, anyone west of Cyprus was called Chittim):

Dan 11:29-31, "At the time appointed he shall return, and come toward the south; but it shall not be as the former, or as the latter. For the ships of Chittim shall come against him: therefore he shall be grieved, and return, and have indignation against the holy covenant: so shall he do; he shall even return, and have intelligence with them that forsake the holy covenant. And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate."

AntiChrist becomes indignant because he is humiliated in front of all of these other nations. Daniel said that he would have indignation against the Holy Covenant, which is acknowledging Israel's right to possess the land and be a nation. This indignation toward this covenant simply means that he regrets ever signing the treaty with Israel. Now that these western powers put him to shame, this makes him even more indignant. He begins to contact the other countries that he his previously made agreements with (mostly Islamic nations that he is given authority over), and from this point on it is war up until the end of the tribulation.
          Welcome to the board.

While the prophecy you cited in Daniel 11 was in the future at the time of Daniel's prophecy, it has now been fulfilled. This is not speaking about an antichrist that would come 2500+ years later.

In the first couple of verses in Daniel 11, Daniel informs us who the different kings in the different empires are.

Daniel 11:1 Also I in the first year of Darius the Mede, even I, stood to confirm and to strengthen him.

Daniel 11:2 And now will I shew thee the truth. Behold, there shall stand up yet three kings in Persia; and the fourth shall be far richer than they all: and by his strength through his riches he shall stir up all against the realm of Grecia.

Shirley

Comment

In the same way some prophecies for Christ were fulfilled long before His coming but they still had a fulfilment in Him. So how do we choose which prohecy to use?

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleyFord View Post
              Welcome to the board.

While the prophecy you cited in Daniel 11 was in the future at the time of Daniel's prophecy, it has now been fulfilled. This is not speaking about an antichrist that would come 2500+ years later.

In the first couple of verses in Daniel 11, Daniel informs us who the different kings in the different empires are.

Daniel 11:1 Also I in the first year of Darius the Mede, even I, stood to confirm and to strengthen him.

Daniel 11:2 And now will I shew thee the truth. Behold, there shall stand up yet three kings in Persia; and the fourth shall be far richer than they all: and by his strength through his riches he shall stir up all against the realm of Grecia.

Shirley
              Hi Shirley, thanks! I haven't studied to a great degree how some of the events you note have already been fulfilled yet, though they may have already been to an extent, however 11:31 speaks about the "abomination that maketh desolate" something which Jesus noted in Matthew 24:15 as happening at a future time "when the end will come" per the disciples question about the end of the age. So I still see this as a prophecy that has yet to be fulfilled.

Having said that however, and even if 11:31 has already been fulfilled at 70AD for example, we still have the seven "good shepherds" of Micah 5 that come to Israel's defence when "the Assyrian" invades the land of Israel. Moreoever, AntiChrist is engaged in wars up until the time of his destruction, so it would seems to me that this Man of Sin's scope of power is limited, geographically, politically and militarily.

Question, just so that I understand the viewpoint you're coming from, are you premillennial in your position?

Comment

Question, just so that I understand the viewpoint you're coming from, are you premillennial in your position?

I believe that Christ returns after the millennium period (which began at Christ's ascension and ends at the loosening of Satan), according to Rev. 20:8-11.

Shirley

Comment

[quote]
                  Hello everyone, this is my first post on this message board! So here is the question, "Will the AntiChrist rule over the whole literal earth?" Growing up in a pre-trib Church I have always believe that yes, he most definitely would. Hey, it's what I've been taught, so it must be true, right? From Greenland to New Zealand, from Chile to Canada, from the eastern shores of Russia to the western mountains of Iceland and all 50 states of the good 'ol USA, all would be subjugated by him. But is this really Scriptural?
                  He will rule over the whole earth....but what will consist of this "whole" earth. Will Russia, Iceland, Canada ect...exsist? Scripture says NO.

We see when the AC rules it will be over Babylon which lies in the midst of a desolate, barron land i.e a wilderness. Is 14 shows us that the cities of the world will be destroyed leaving only Babylon.

Isa 14:17That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?

Re 17:3So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.

1. Why does he make war with the saints?

After wiping out the enemy he will rule just as God will wipe out the emeny prior to his rule.

Where does it say he "forces" his mark upon the masses? Remember, the inhabinats believe they are in the presence of the almighty and will kill for the mark.......

3. Why is he grieved when powerful ships from the west move against him? (Daniel 11)

This chapter perhaps is describing the battle for the kingdom whereby this little horn conquers.

5. If he rules the world, then why do seven "good shepherds" raise up against him? (Micah 5)

The seven good shepards are his godly counterpart which will destroy him. The eighth being THE head shepard Christ.

Again, if you try to interpet using your eyes you will come to the wrong conclusion. What you see today will not be seen tomorrow. Thus when the AC arises the landscape is vastly different and I believe the cities will be destroyed as Matt 24: 7 takes place and the world become a wilderness.

Mt 24:7For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

Mark

Comment

He will not rule over the whole world, but due to today's technology, the whole world will know of him in an instant. Therein lies the most frightening part of his reign - his actions will be immediately spread throughout the globe. Nobody will be unaffected on an individual level.

Comment

Even if a single future ruler is to come in the time of the end, that will be in the spirit of antichrist, we are necessarily limited by language, as to how we can apply this word to that individual.

From the related Bible verses we could say with clarity:

"This time of the end ruler will be filled with the spirit of antichrist"
                      or:
                      "This time of the end ruler will be an antichrist"

Still correct but more deceptively we could say:

"This time of the end ruler will be antichrist" (as in "in the spirit of")
                      This might be particularly deceptive verbally, particularly in light of the expected pre-conceived notion of the listener.

From the scripture in the original post, one option we clearly don't have is that of saying:

"This time of the end ruler will be the antichrist". This would clearly indicate that the term only applies to a single individual. So this incorrect use is patently obvious since there are billions of antichrists in the world today.

For those that believe that "The Antichrist" was a historical figure like Nero, for example, the same applies. Nero could not be "the" Antichrist, since there have been billions of antichrists, and as the verses clearly indicate, there was no shortage in John's day. There is no question, however, that Nero was an antichrist.

So why did Satan bring the concept of a single "Antichrist" into the Church/doctrine?

The answer should be obvious. Through strong delusion the Church has focused on a single, INDIVIDUAL antichrist, that either came and went in the distant past, or is yet to come. This of course blinded may Christians to the fact that there are billions of people in the world today that can be described as antichrists. If you don't believe this try asking the guy next to you in Church next Sunday "who is (or was, depending on the eschatology) the antichrist?" and see what he says.

An added bonus of Satan's victory is that he stole the truthful meaning, along with the use of the term antichrist, from the Christian vocabulary, except when nearly universally used to describe a specific individual, past or future. When was the last time you heard a Christian refer to an atheist as an antichrist? Yet your kid may regularly spend time at an antichrist's house right down your own block. When was the last time you heard a Muslim referred to as an antichrist? Yet there are 1.5 billion of them.

Satan must surely get a chuckle every time a TV show comes on about "The Antichrist" like the one I saw on the History Channel, let alone how his deception has been peddled by the Christian pop-media. How has this made the Church look to those outside of Christianity? Satan is victorious while the truth falls in the street.

Jesus beat Satan at the Cross - forever. The battle for the Chruch ever since has been over truth. Read the second chapter of Revelation and determine what all the overcoming is about.

"God is truth, so how well a person serves the Lord is not based on how good he is at defending his doctrine, but on how willing he is to seek out and follow the truth." - Ellis Skolfield.

2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4:4 And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
                      More on the specific verses:
                      http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=61971
                      Please visit http://www.ellisskolfield.com/index.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by MW
                        "Will the AntiChrist rule over the whole literal earth?"
                        He will neve rule the Christians who love Jesus and remain on the earth until the 2nd Advent faithfully waiting for Him, and faithfully continuing to share the gospel with the lost until Christ returns.

Comment

Originally posted by MattHenry View Post
                          So why did Satan bring the concept of a single "Antichrist" into the Church/doctrine?

The answer should be obvious. Through strong delusion the Church has focused on a single, INDIVIDUAL antichrist, that either came and went in the distant past, or is yet to come. This of course blinded may Christians to the fact that there are billions of people in the world today that can be described as antichrists. If you don't believe this try asking the guy next to you in Church next Sunday "who is (or was, depending on the eschatology) the antichrist?" and see what he says.

An added bonus of Satan's victory is that he stole the truthful meaning, along with the use of the term antichrist, from the Christian vocabulary, except when nearly universally used to describe a specific individual, past or future. When was the last time you heard a Christian refer to an atheist as an antichrist? Yet your kid may regularly spend time at an antichrist's house right down your own block. When was the last time you heard a Muslim referred to as an antichrist? Yet there are 1.5 billion of them.

Satan must surely get a chuckle every time a TV show comes on about "The Antichrist" like the one I saw on the History Channel, let alone how his deception has been peddled by the Christian pop-media. How has this made the Church look to those outside of Christianity? Satan is victorious while the truth falls in the street.
                          Semantics, splitting hairs, that's what I read there. I think that Scripture does acknowledge a last-days figure, called the "Man of Sin" or "Son of Perdition" or "Lawless One", even "the Assyrian". Of course, there are many "antichrists" in the world today, as there have been many in the past, and there will be more in the future I am sure. Logic dictates this already. But there is one specific AntiChrist that Scripture speaks of who is yet to be revealed. We may still see through a glass darkly, but concerning this, it is clear in my opinion.

Do you think that it is mere coincidence that Islamic "eschatology" is nearly a perfect mirror opposite of Biblical eschatology? Do you think that it is conceivable that if a figure were to appear on the world scene called "al-Mahdi" or "rightly guided one" and the whole Muslim world were to follow him, that this figure could, perhaps, be the "Man of Sin" per Scripture?

Comment

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this message board! So here is the question, "Will the AntiChrist rule over the whole literal earth?"

1. Why does he need to wage war with the saints?
                            1. Because Satan hates Christians who love and follow and obey Jesus.
                            2. Because people who don't belong to Jesus are selfish and follow after their own gods, idols, and wills. Try making an Athiest worship Allah....their both false beliefs...yet it would require force to make that happen.
                            3. The powerful ships of Daniel 11 sailed 2200+ years ago. They have nothing to do with our future.
                            4. Again, all false rulers who didn't follow the Lord are constantly warring against one another. The Egyptians and the Assyrians fought horrendous battles...yet both groups rejected the Lord.
                            5. Micah 5 is describing past historical events, not future events. It isn't applicable either.

Comment

Originally posted by David Taylor View Post
                              He will neve rule the Christians who love Jesus and remain on the earth until the 2nd Advent faithfully waiting for Him, and faithfully continuing to share the gospel with the lost until Christ returns.
                              I agree, for sure. I am also of the opinion that the AntiChrist will never be able to force his religious and political ideology upon the west as a whole. There may very well be massive terrorist attacks, and there will be western Muslims who will follow him, but the United States and other western nations (aside from Israel) will be the coming AntiChrist's number one enemy. Even today, many in the Islamic world call the west the enemy of Islam, especially the "great Satan" America.

America, I think, will likely be one of the "good shepherds" that comes to Israel's defense (Micah 5:2-6) when the AntiChrist invades the land of Israel (if this is referring to something yet future, which I am of the opinion that it is right now).

Comment

Working...
                              X