Sir Robert Andersons Blunder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Robert Andersons Blunder

Prophecy is built on chronology. Entire prophetic systems stand or fall on dates which are already history. These dates have already been and gone. An example of this is the future seven year tribulation. Did you know that the hundreds (yea thousands) of books written about a future seven year reign of Antichrist is based on a faulty date?

It all started in 1895 when Sir Robert Anderson published his book, ‘The Coming Prince.’ He claimed that he had calculated Daniels sixty-nine weeks as finishing in the week Christ died - AD32. Wrong; the crucifixion was April AD30.

Now this might appear trifling to some, but the entire idea of the ‘70th’ week getting projected into the future relied on the assumption that Andersons 69th week stopped at the cross. Realizing that Anderson had blundered, modern pretrib teachers like Tim LaHaye, Thomas Ice, Chuck Missler scrambled to adjust his calculations to AD33 instead. But this only made matters worse. For example Jesus would have to be thirty-nine when he died. Hmmm.

So the future ‘70th week’ seven years is actually a myth. The interesting thing is that many pretrib members of Christian forums do not realize that their endtime belief systems are based on Anderson’s faulty chronology.

Cyberseeker
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Can you provide any evidence to support these assertions?
    ----------------------------------------------
    When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
      Can you provide any evidence to support these assertions?
      literalist,

i have done a study on the jubilee calender, and come to the same conclusion. to present the jubilee calender to some one in a study, a person need at leat 8to 10 hours. that is just presenting it.( let alone trying to type it into a forum.) Gods clocks it not easy to understand. His timing and our timing are different. Fantastic study though.
      His assertions can not be proofed with a few bible verses. WhereCyber gets his views and opinions, i dont know. I get mine from the bible.

bennie

Comment

Originally posted by bennie View Post
        literalist,

i have done a study on the jubilee calender, and come to the same conclusion. to present the jubilee calender to some one in a study, a person need at leat 8to 10 hours. that is just presenting it.( let alone trying to type it into a forum.) Gods clocks it not easy to understand. His timing and our timing are different. Fantastic study though.
        His assertions can not be proofed with a few bible verses. WhereCyber gets his views and opinions, i dont know. I get mine from the bible.

bennie
        So we should believe you just because you say so? What happened to that thing that the bible says in comparing all things to what the scripture says?

Comment

Originally posted by mfowler12 View Post
          So we should believe you just because you say so? What happened to that thing that the bible says in comparing all things to what the scripture says?
          That's exactly why I asked for evidence to support these assertions.

Comment

Cyberseeker, you should know that you have to bring scripture into the discussion. I am interested in learning more because I do not believe in pre-trib anymore.
            sigpic

Comment

Future 70th week doesnt exist

My assertion is that Anderson / LaHaye / Ice / Misslers chronology is faulty. Since this is so, Anderson’s theory of a future seven-year ‘week’ is also faulty.

If anyone would like my evidence I can provide historical data. But if you want verses from the Bible there are none to quote. Why? Because the doctrine of a future ‘70th’ week doesn’t exist. May I turn your question around and ask you the same question? Is there any scripture (apart from Andersons mistake) that explicitly mentions a future seven year tribulation?

Cyber
              "Your name and renown
              is the desire of our hearts."
              (Isaiah 26:8)

Comment

Originally posted by mfowler12 View Post
                do you have any idee of the jubilee calendar?? i did not say to believe anything i said. frankly i said nothing in my post, just made a referance to the jubilee calendar. ask about the calandar, not about believing me. try to figure the jubilee calendar out, it is fun and exciting to see Gods timing on everything.

bennie

Comment

Because the doctrine of a future ‘70th’ week doesn’t exist.
                  Sure it does, Dan 9:27.

Or at least do it this way....Dan 9:27 is what Anderson's beliefs are built around or yours are built around in opposition to his "theory". So, please take the time to expound. If you don't then it's just as good as saying the color blue is cold and the color red is hot but we really don't know for sure do we?
                  James 3:3
                  Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post
                    My assertion is that Anderson / LaHaye / Ice / Misslers chronology is faulty. Since this is so, Anderson’s theory of a future seven-year ‘week’ is also faulty.

If anyone would like my evidence I can provide historical data. But if you want verses from the Bible there are none to quote. Why? Because the doctrine of a future ‘70th’ week doesn’t exist. May I turn your question around and ask you the same question? Is there any scripture (apart from Andersons mistake) that explicitly mentions a future seven year tribulation?

Cyber
                    I wasn't asking for exclusively Scriptural evidence. There is much empirical evidence that can be used in spiritual arguments that is from outside the Bible, especially in historical matters. This discussion certainly falls within that category. From my point of view, Daniel 9:26-27 gives us the basis for the seven-year Tribulation, along with the mention in Revelation 11 of a period of 1,260 days, which is 360 days X 3.5. The same period of time is also mentioned in Daniel 12 (IIRC), which provides a connection with the Revelation 11 mention.

So, aside from your statement to that effect, what reason do we have for discounting all of this? I'm not dismissing your statements out of hand, I'm quite willing to consider your points, but it's going to take something more than just "Cyberseeker says so". Historical data would be quite acceptable, so long as it successfully supports the argument.
                    Last edited by Literalist-Luke; Sep 23rd 2008, 03:25 AM. Reason: Typo - thanks, Acerohombre!

Comment

along with the mention in Revelation 11 of a period of 1,250 days
                      But as I'm sure you know, there are other configurations that equal 1,260 days (I'm sure you meant 60) like "time, times and the dividing of times" or a "thousand two hundred and threescore days." Same amount of time but if you read which terminology is used and where you see that one time is a preceding time period and one is a following time period which coincides with other verses in the Bible like Rev 11:3 and Rev 12:6 or Dan 7:25 and Rev 12:14. When you look at the events that are outlined specifically in Rev 12 there's no way that these two mentioned 1,260 day time events can be the same event or the Chapter is whacky. Add the two up and you get 7 years.
                      James 3:3
                      Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Acerohombre View Post
                        But as I'm sure you know, there are other configurations that equal 1,260 days (I'm sure you meant 60) like "time, times and the dividing of times" or a "thousand two hundred and threescore days." Same amount of time but if you read which terminology is used and where you see that one time is a preceding time period and one is a following time period which coincides with other verses in the Bible like Rev 11:3 and Rev 12:6 or Dan 7:25 and Rev 12:14. When you look at the events that are outlined specifically in Rev 12 there's no way that these two mentioned 1,260 day time events can be the same event or the Chapter is whacky. Add the two up and you get 7 years.
                        Right, I agree. (And thanks for getting me to correct my typo, btw )

My point was simply that there are Scriptural reasons for the seven-year Tribulation.

Comment

Well there sure is some future events yet to come, such as the return of the Lord Jesus Christ, the gathering of believers, the day of the Lord, the stars falling, the sun not giving her light, the moon turned to darkness, the antichrist revealed, the mark of the beast, etc, etc. These things are yet to happen, and they seem to fit into a seven year period where the abomination of desolation takes place in the midst of the week...
                          Or do you believe that these things have taken place already??? No of course they haven't. The Bible never says there will be a seven year tribulation, but there is the 70th week of Daniel with these afore mentioned events. Unless you don't really believe that the Lord is going to return like He said He would. Read Matthew 24, and tell me that it is talking of history past, no it isn't. Just read your Bible and think about it.

Comment

Hey Cyber,

Here's what I see is the discussion point, please let me know if I'm wrong.

We have a time line in Daniel 9:25 "Know therefore and understand, [that] from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince [shall be] seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times."

So basically the first 69 weeks begin at a decree to rebuild Jerusalem and end at the proclamation of the Messiah. After these 69 weeks Jesus, the Messiah is killed.

Any valid time line must arguably meet these requirements.

Anderson's calculations seem to fit. I'd be interested in you're understanding.
                            Acts 17:11

Comment

Originally posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
                              Right, I agree. (And thanks for getting me to correct my typo, btw )

My point was simply that there are Scriptural reasons for the seven-year Tribulation.
                              Where in Daniel 9 does it even mention the Second Coming of Christ.

Do you believe Rev is chronological? Could you tell me where the GT starts and finishes in Rev?
                              "ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:32).

http://www.evangelicaltruth.com/

WPM

Comment

Working...
                              X