Anyone else here Amillenial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else here Amillenial?

I know it is the boring position and thus gets little discussion but there is an exegetical case to be made for it.

Originally posted by SW28fan View Post
    I know it is the boring position and thus gets little discussion but there is an exegetical case to be made for it.
    There are quite a few on this site. I would say it is the most simplistic position. Namely, there are 2 peoples on this earth saved and unsaved. When Jesus comes all will be judged - the saved on His right hand the wicked on his left. The righteous are ushered into eternal bliss, the wicked to eternal torment.
    "ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:32).

http://www.evangelicaltruth.com/

WPM

Comment

Yes, as Paul says, there are quite a few a-millenialists on this board (I'm not one of yooz). But the a-millennilaists have got tired of getting us pre-millers to see the light (becuse yooz are all pointing us at Mars to find the sun)

Just kidding

ananias
      "But you must not be called Rabbi, for One is your teacher, Christ, and you are all brothers.

And call no one your father on the earth, for One is your Father in Heaven.

Nor be called teachers, for One is your Teacher, even Christ."
      (Mat.23: 8-10)

AND

"I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. As I have loved you, you should also love one another.

By this all shall know that you are My disciples, if you have love toward one another."
      (Joh.13: 34-35)

Comment

I'm a-mill, just because I believe that not enough Christians ALLOW parts of the Bible to be pure symbolism.

"Pure" meaning not a stand-in for some literal, historical event, but a physical image used to describe something metaphysical or spiritual.
        Always give God credit first.

"Dost thou think because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?"
        -Sir Toby, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

James 1:19

Comment

...is an exegetical case to be made for it.
          Just as pre-millers need to wrestle over Eze. 40-48, a-millers need to wrestle over Zech. 12-14. What I'd love to see this thread become is a wrestling match between the text (and how the NT refers back to it) and the interpreter (both a-mil and pre-mil). Namely, just as I (as a pre-miller) acknowledge that Eze. 40-48 requires thorough study in order to make a case that it is still yet future, you (a-millers) must acknowledge the same of Zech. 12-14 to prove that it has already been fulfilled. These are our two camps' respective "Achilles heel", so if you're going to make an exegetical case for the a-mil position, I think it would be best for you to make your case using Zech. 12-14.

Just a request. - Lk.11
          analyze. synthesize. repeat.

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

Comment

I'm a post triber

I would like to hear a detailed presentation of this position. Do you have some good links?

Comment

Good link here

I accept the basic Amil position.

May I recommend the following link to John Stevenson, a very fair and persuasive Amil writer.

http://www.angelfire.com/nt/theology/Amil.html
              "Your name and renown
              is the desire of our hearts."
              (Isaiah 26:8)

Comment

Originally posted by astrongerthanhe View Post
                Just as pre-millers need to wrestle over Eze. 40-48, a-millers need to wrestle over Zech. 12-14. What I'd love to see this thread become is a wrestling match between the text (and how the NT refers back to it) and the interpreter (both a-mil and pre-mil). Namely, just as I (as a pre-miller) acknowledge that Eze. 40-48 requires thorough study in order to make a case that it is still yet future, you (a-millers) must acknowledge the same of Zech. 12-14 to prove that it has already been fulfilled. These are our two camps' respective "Achilles heel", so if you're going to make an exegetical case for the a-mil position, I think it would be best for you to make your case using Zech. 12-14.

Just a request. - Lk.11
                Well said. I don't have a general problem with Ezek. 40-48 because I don't endorse the anti-Torah default of most Protestants. The literal fulfillment of Zechariah's prophecies are foundational to my world view looking forward. Bono sang "when all the colors bleed into one." I can't wait until all the nations come up (or at least send representatives) to Jerusalem to acknowledge our Messiah as Lord and Restorer of all.

We need spiritual and physical intervention that there might be a healing of all nations. How does the a-mil position account for man's long track record of inability to "right his own ship?" I've read up on this position several times but I still don't seem to understand how it "plays out" in the future.

todd
                Last edited by valleybldr; Oct 5th 2008, 07:31 PM.

Comment

I have trouble understanding the a-mil position. How can you say that satan is bound when there is so much evil in the world and so much deception in the church?

Comment

Originally posted by SpokenFor View Post
                    I have trouble understanding the a-mil position. How can you say that satan is bound when there is so much evil in the world and so much deception in the church?
                    I used to wonder that, until I realized what Christ achieved through His earthly ministry, culminating with His victory at the cross. He bound Satan spiritually. Remember he is a spiritual being. He did not need metal chains in a physical pit to hold him. Anyway, he was only spiritual bound in order to stop him curtailing
                    "ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:32).

http://www.evangelicaltruth.com/

WPM

Comment

Hmm, guess my version of Amillenialism is different from others.

I don't believe that the "millenium" is happening at this moment in heaven.

I don't believe that a "millenium" exists or will exist literally.

I believe that the "millenium" is symbolic of a time in the future when Christ will restore the Earth to its pre-fall form, while keeping the tempter out of it, until such time to release the accuser to test mankind again, before essentially rewriting the Eden story by deus ex machina-ing Satan and his followers out of the picture.
                      Following is the NEW Heaven and the NEW Earth, and behold all things have passed away.
                      Always give God credit first.

"Dost thou think because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?"
                      -Sir Toby, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

James 1:19

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I'm an amillennialist. How did you come to take this position? Were you premil before taking the amil position?

Comment

I'm Amil as well. I believe that Christ is reigning right now as King. The kingdom spoken of in Daniel which would be given to Him is the kingdom of heaven which Jesus said was at hand in His own day. Satan is bound spiritually in the sense that the gospel now goes forth to all nations.

Regarding Zachariah 12-14, I believe there is much symbolism there speaking simply of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the fountain of His blood being opened for cleansing, the judgment against Jerusalem, Christ's betrayal, and the age in which the gospel is in effect, going out to the world. I certainly can't give a verse by verse commentary, but the whole of the three chapters seems to be clearly about the gospel of Jesus Christ and the commencement of His reign in the first century.

Comment

I am wobbling somewhere around amill. I haven't studied the millennial thing much, being more interested in the schools of eschatology - partial preterist is my leaning. I've read other threads on this also. No opinion yet. I've found Paul/WPM to very helpful.

Pat
                            Free indeed!

Comment

Hey John146

I was a default dispesationlist for most of my Christian Life, I would occasionally read a bit about other positions but most of the Churches I attened in my adult life were dispesationalist some more heavily than others.
                              As I started to get involved in minstry activites mostly evagelism I felt compelled to study the Bible and theology. I encounterd other positions, wow! I ultimately went to seminary (Baptist) were I was able to really study the doctrine Ray Summers commetary on Revelation put to rest dispensationalism in my thinking. My Latent Calvinism (product of Presbyterian Childhood) reasserted itself at the same time and I came to the discovery that I was more a Presbie than a Baptist. I have the honor of changing from Southern Baptist to Presbyterian (PCA) while being in my first (and only) year of PhD studies at the largest Baptist Seminary in the World. Boy were they upset with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X