Who is the bride of christ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the bride of christ

1 - Using scripture or types and shadows who do you think the Bride is? I do have my thoughts on it, XXXand will bring that out during debate.

2 - Recently I see posts declaring all the Church is the bride; why?

3 - At the marriage, who are the guests?
    Whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus

The Church is the Body of Christ. How can the Body be the Bride? That question has always puzzled me. The book of Revelation tells us who the bride is.
    <H3> Revelation 21

1And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
    2And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.........

</H3>
    9And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife. 10And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,

The text of the passage is quite plain as to who the bride is.

Comment

Quoting Reynolds357 - The Church is the Body of Christ. How can the Body be the Bride? That question has always puzzled me.

Response - I believe you're asking if the entire Church makes up the bride, and to me it cannot. The bride is only a portion of the Church. Which portion? Post-tribbers should be able to tell us this without effort.

Quoting Reynolds 357 - Revelation 21:1-3. "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God........."

Revelation 21:9-10. "And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife. 10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,"

The text of the passage is quite plain as to who the bride is.

Question - So is this city the bride an adamant city, or is the city a place where the bride resides along with a company of saints?

Thanks Reynolds for your reply in Jesus' name -

Comment

1 Peter 2:5
        you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 11:2
        For I am jealous for you with godly jealousy. For I have betrothed you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

1 Corinthians 3:16
        Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

Ephesians 5:30-32
        For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

There are many descriptions of our relationship to the Lord,
        the verse quoted is figurative, Jesus is not to marry a city,
        but His Bride will inhabit that city.

Things that apply today:
        He is the vine, we are the branches.
        He is the Shepherd, we are the sheep.
        He is the Chief Cornerstone, we are the stones in the building.
        He is the High Priest, we are a kingdom of priests.
        He is the Last Adam, Head of a new order of beings, we are that New Creation.
        He is the Head of the Body, we are the members.
        He is the Bridegroom, we are the betrothed Bride.

Revelation 3:12
        12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.
        Mark

“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." Matthew 7:13-14

(All Scripture quoted is from NKJV unless otherwise noted)

Comment

The whole church make up the dimensions of the city.
          The foundations of it are the 12 Apostles, the cornerstone being Christ.
          If we believe their teaching, then we stand on the foundations.

This is The capitol of Gods redeemed universe, everyone is there, as we are all one in Christ.
          And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Comment

Quoting Mark F - 2 Corinthians 11:2
            For I am jealous for you with godly jealousy. For I have betrothed you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Question - Paul does say we are espoused to Christ, but notice in the next verse that there seems to be the chance to miss that calling in our lives. In other words, all espoused are not automatically selected. 2 Corinthians 11:3. "But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ."

Quoting Mark F - Jesus is not to marry a city, but His Bride will inhabit that city.

Things that apply today:
            He is the vine, we are the branches.
            He is the Shepherd, we are the sheep.
            He is the Chief Cornerstone, we are the stones in the building.
            He is the High Priest, we are a kingdom of priests.
            He is the Last Adam, Head of a new order of beings, we are that New Creation.
            He is the Head of the Body, we are the members.
            He is the Bridegroom, we are the betrothed Bride.

Response - Amen and I agree, but does all the saints such as those beheaded for refusing the mark of the beast make up the city? Since Christ is the head of the body, is He a part of that city? What about God the Father?

Quoting Mark F - Revelation 3:12
            12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.

Question - Do you believe there are different levels of overcoming, and what is Jesus' new name?

Thanks Mark F in Jesus' name -

Comment

Don't forget the command regarding marriage that husband and wife are to become "one flesh". Perhaps the union between Christ and His bride (the Church) is meant to take that "one flesh" union even deeper than human marriage. Perhaps the union into "one flesh" means that Christ's Bride can also be His very body.
              ----------------------------------------------
              When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Hi Literalist. We are one flesh with Christ; He is the head and we are the body, and I do believe that His bride will be of the body. Again as Mark F brought out in 2 Corinthians 11:2: "For I am jealous for you with godly jealousy. For I have betrothed you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ." All the body of Christ is bethrothed to Him, but do all become the bride? You are a post-tribulation thinker, so how does the bride fit into that?

Thanks in Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by larry2 View Post
                  You are a post-tribulation thinker, so how does the bride fit into that?
                  I'm not sure where you think the problem is. I'm certainly very happy to discuss it, but can you elaborate a bit on what you're asking me?

Comment

Well I'm asking whether that fits in with your thinking on post-tribulation; I mean is she here on earth with Christ at that time as His Bride according to your theology? If all are the bride, wouldn't all have the same place of rule with Him? Or when do you think she becomes Christ's bride. Just some thoughts to toss into the discussion.

Thanks in Jesus

Comment

Well I'm asking whether that fits in with your thinking on post-tribulation; I mean is she here on earth with Christ at that time as His Bride according to your theology? If all are the bride, wouldn't all have the same place of rule with Him? Or when do you think she becomes Christ's bride. Just some thoughts to toss into the discussion.
                      OK, hopefully this will answer your question. If it doesn't, just let me know and, like I said, I'm very happy to discuss it.

In my understanding of the Post-Trib Rapture and the Bride of Christ, membership in the Bride of Christ is cut off at the moment of the Rapture which will be in conjunction with the 2nd Coming. Anybody who accepts Christ and is consequently "saved" during the Tribulation will have full membership in the Bride.

Is there a problem that I've missed with that line of thinking?

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Quoting Literalist-Luke - In my understanding of the Post-Trib Rapture and the Bride of Christ, membership in the Bride of Christ is cut off at the moment of the Rapture which will be in conjunction with the 2nd Coming. Anybody who accepts Christ and is consequently "saved" during the Tribulation will have full membership in the Bride.

Response - That gives me a starting point for the rest of my posts concerning my thoughts on the bride. I do not see it that way, but that will open many new questions and ideas forthcoming.

Comment

That gives me a starting point for the rest of my posts concerning my thoughts on the bride. I do not see it that way, but that will open many new questions and ideas forthcoming.
                          How do you see the Bride?

Comment

The body of Christ is the bride, and it is those who recieve HIS Holy Spirit,-- is like the bride recieving the ring on her finger..the Groom gives it to her with a promise for better or worse ,i will never leave thee nor forsake thee.
                            But sometimes the bride might resist the Spirit, remove it from them altogether, and Eternal life no longer dwells in them.--Divorce

What your seeing is the final revelation of what all the people of God look like.

Its foundation and walls, is laid by Gods dealing with the Israel,- and the true revelation of that ,was the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ,--- and the testamony of the 12, became the foundations for the whole structure--which is all who believe....and have life changing faith.

I will be happy to be left little toe nail in Jesus body, but let us aim to be a part of his eye, heart, hand, ear....

You would be surprised though how important the little toe can be to the balance of the whole structure......

Its all good in this city
                            And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Comment

Hi Literalist-Luke,

As to my thinking on the bride of Christ, there are qualifications; I believe the bride will be in heaven with Jesus ruling conjointly with Him, but regardless of where we think they will be, there are going to be some that are servants before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple. These are the great multitude and do not appear to be the bride, yet they are of the body of Christ.

Matthew 11:11. "Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."

John the Baptist said in John 3:29. "He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled."

Here John the Baptist says that he will not be the bride, but a friend of the bridegroom (Jesus), and it was said of him that there was none born of men greater than him. This eliminates all before him as being in the bride unless you have scripture showing some are.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X