Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information Peter--The amilleniast?

2PET 3- Study-

1 This is now, beloved, the second letter I am writing to you in which I am stirring up your sincere mind by way of reminder,
    2 that you should remember the words spoken beforehand by the holy prophets and the commandment of the Lord and Savior spoken by your apostles.

The Coming Day of the Lord

3 Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts,
    4 and saying, "Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation."
    5 For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water and by water,
    6 through which the world at that time was destroyed, being flooded with water.
    7 But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.
    8 But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day.
    9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

A New Heaven and Earth

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.
    11 Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness,
    12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat!
    13 But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.
    14 Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless,
    15 and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you,
    16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.
    17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness,
    18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

----------------

So let me get this straight, The promise of his coming, is--- the day of the lord---,the day of Judgement--,the day of eternity--the day of destruction for this old heavens and earth.
    They were looking for his promise to come,and anticipated the home of righteousness in the new heaven and new earth.
    This was Jesus exact promise to them.

"In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.
    3 "If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also
    This makes Peter and his congregation Amilleniasts, because they looked for Christ to be coming on the day when the old order of things completely passes away, and they looked for the result of his promise, which was the new home of righteousness.

According to Revelation, Peter places the second coming of Christ after the millenium, (when the old heaven and earth flee at the GWT)---which means he must have thought he was already in the millenium , as he doesnt mention such a thing as coming after christs coming---- his eyes were on the fathers House as being the reward of his promise.

If Peter was a premilleniast, he would have written that we look to his glorious earthly reign,( not get ahead of himself) and he would have had to change the way he describes the coming of the lord, as being a day when the old passes away,-- just like it did in Noahs day.
    When Jesus comes like the days of noah, x amount of us righteous will survive to see the new world, the rest perish.

ACTS 17
    "Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent,
    31 because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead."

--"Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done.
    13 "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."

"The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ; and He will reign forever and ever."
    16 And the twenty-four elders, who sit on their thrones before God, fell on their faces and worshiped God,
    17 saying, "We give You thanks, O Lord God, the Almighty, who are and who were, because You have taken Your great power and have begun to reign.
    18 "And the nations were enraged, and Your wrath came, and the time came for the dead to be judged, and the time to reward Your bond-servants the prophets and the saints and those who fear Your name, the small and the great, and to destroy those who destroy the earth."

be nice.
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Originally posted by jeffweeder View Post
    2PET 3- Study-

1 This is now, beloved, the second letter I am writing to you in which I am stirring up your sincere mind by way of reminder,
    2 that you should remember the words spoken beforehand by the holy prophets and the commandment of the Lord and Savior spoken by your apostles.

3 Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts,
    4 and saying, "Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation."
    5 For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water and by water,
    7 But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.
    8 But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day.
    9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

A New Heaven and Earth

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.
    11 Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness,
    12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat!
    13 But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.
    14 Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless,
    15 and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you,
    16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.
    17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness,
    18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

----------------

So let me get this straight, The promise of his coming, is--- the day of the lord---,the day of Judgement--,the day of eternity--the day of destruction for this old heavens and earth.
    They were looking for his promise to come,and anticipated the home of righteousness in the new heaven and new earth.

This makes Peter and his congregation Amilleniasts, because they looked for Christ to be coming on the day when the old order of things completely passes away, and they looked for the result of his promise, which was the new home of righteousness.

According to Revelation, Peter places the second coming of Christ after the millenium, (when the old heaven and earth flee at the GWT)---which means he must have thought he was already in the millenium , as he doesnt mention such a thing as coming after christs coming---- his eyes were on the fathers House as being the reward of his promise.

If Peter was a premilleniast, he would have written that we look to his glorious earthly reign,( not get ahead of himself) and he would have had to change the way he describes the coming of the lord, as being a day when the old passes away,-- just like it did in Noahs day.
    When Jesus comes like the days of noah, x amount of us righteous will survive to see the new world, the rest perish.

ACTS 17
    "Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent,
    31 because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead."

--"Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done.
    13 "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."

"The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ; and He will reign forever and ever."
    16 And the twenty-four elders, who sit on their thrones before God, fell on their faces and worshiped God,
    17 saying, "We give You thanks, O Lord God, the Almighty, who are and who were, because You have taken Your great power and have begun to reign.
    18 "And the nations were enraged, and Your wrath came, and the time came for the dead to be judged, and the time to reward Your bond-servants the prophets and the saints and those who fear Your name, the small and the great, and to destroy those who destroy the earth."

be nice.
    Another fine passage discussing the one (and only) Second Coming of Christ at the end of the age. Not a peep about a secret, supersonic 'rapture' to be found.

Well, I'm an amillennialist (correct spelling ) and the passage itself could fit into a historic premillennial framework as well. I agree with what you're saying. I don't believe that 'amillennialism' is an interpretative framework imposed on Scripture, it's what Scripture itself teaches upon careful exegesis, period. Historic Premillennialism's assertion that there will be a literal 1,000 year reign of Christ after the Second Coming is still a stretch. Apocalyptic literature like Revelation uses symbolism to describe reality. Where does one find the textual cues to suddenly take the 1,000 years literally when the whole of Revelation is symbolic? That's my question to Historic Premils.

Comment

Interesting topic, especially as I was just doing a study on it.

I think Peter saw the Millennium to be a spiritual one meaning the triumph of the Gospel spreading all over the world, at which time Satan was bound so that he could no longer deceive the nations as he had for 4000 yrs.

Today it appears to me that the long Gospel age (spiritual millennium) is drawing to a close. If the binding of Satan at Christ’s resurrection means the limiting of his power over the nations so that where ever the Gospel went the captives were set free, so the loosing of the Evil One would mean the restoring of Satanic liberty to deceive the nations once again. Looking at today’s world with its philosophy, new age paganism, evolution, gross and appalling immorality, there is little doubt in my mind that Satan has been loosed

Comment

The word day does not always refer to a 24 hour period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by cwb View Post
          The word day does not always refer to a 24 hour period of time.
          However long this day it is a day of destruction. Is the Premil millennium 1,000 yrs of destruction? Moreover, the destruction arrives suddenly.
          "ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:32).

http://www.evangelicaltruth.com/

WPM

Comment

Originally posted by wpm View Post
            However long this day it is a day of destruction. Is the Premil millennium 1,000 yrs of destruction? Moreover, the destruction arrives suddenly.
            Does it say the destruction of the earth arrives suddenly?

Comment

Sorry about the spelling.....i get tongue tied trying to say amillennialilist fast.

Well Paul does, they cry peace and safety, then sudden destuction hits. Peter recognised Paul writings as seeing these same things he had.

The destruction comes suddenly , because Jesus come suddenly in a flame of fire punishing those that reject his truth, on that same day we are glorified in him-.

They recieve eternal punishment--2thess 1 ,which brings you Christ coming at the Great White Throne time again

Comment

Sorry about the spelling.....i get tongue tied trying to say amillennialilist fast.

Well Paul does, they cry peace and safety, then sudden destuction hits. Peter recognised Paul writings as seeing these same things he had.

The destruction comes suddenly , because Jesus come suddenly in a flame of fire punishing those that reject his truth, on that same day we are glorified in him-.

They recieve eternal punishment--2thess 1 ,which brings you Christ coming at the Great White Throne time again
                Paul is speaking about people. What about the earth?

Comment

It happens to the earth ,as/before it happens to the people.

Jesus said after the tribulation of those days the sun moon stars--heaven would be shaken and through that we would see the son of man coming in great power and glory.

At the GWT, heaven and earth flee away from the presence of God and then we see the eternal judgement and the opening of the lambs book of life.

Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them.
                  12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds
                  Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done.

This seems to be identical with Matt 25, when Jesus comes ,takes his seat, and seperates the sheep from the goats.

Comment

2PET 3- Study-

A New Heaven and Earth

----------------

ACTS 17

be nice.
                    I agree with everything that you said. There is one day of judgment. Scripture says it will occur on the day Christ returns. Christ will return at the end of the age (Matthew 24). According to the parable of the wheat and tares (Matt 13:24-30,36-43), the parable of the fishing net (Matt 13:47-50), and Matthew 25:31-46, the day of judgment occurs at the end of the age as well.

As far as 2 Peter 3 is concerned, I have yet to see a convincing argument from a premil explaining why they believe that passage does not say that the earth will be burned up the day that Christ returns.

Comment

Actually yes. 2 Peter 3:10-13 explains, "the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.”

The phrase "will come" actually means "will arrive. Check it out. We discover in this reading that “the day of the Lord will arrive (heko) as a thief in the night; in the which (en heé)” or literally translated “in which” (the word “the” being absent from the original). The word en is used 2,831 times in Scripture and is overwhelmingly interpreted "in" or "within" throughout. Significantly, it is not translated as ‘near,’ ‘close to’ or ‘close by’ in any of these references. We must pause for one moment and ask an important question, “in which” what? Wherever one locates the day of the Lord we surely know it arrives “as a thief in the night” (or suddenly) “in which” certain things occur. What are these things that accompany the arrival of the day of the Lord? The above reading demonstrates how the day of the Lord “will come” suddenly “as a thief in the night; in the which”:

1. The heavens shall pass away / perish with a great noise.
                      2. The elements shall be ‘loosed by being set on fire’,
                      3. The earth shall be ‘burned up utterly / consumed wholly.
                      4. The works that are within the earth shall be ‘burned up utterly / consumed wholly.

And continues, “seeing then that all these things (that is 1-4) shall be luomenoon or dissolved / burned up utterly / consumed wholly. The old order of affairs is completely consumed by fire in a climactic conflagration in order to make way for the new eternal state.

WPM

Comment

Originally posted by wpm View Post
                        Actually yes. 2 Peter 3:10-13 explains, "the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.”

The phrase "will come" actually means "will arrive. Check it out. We discover in this reading that “the day of the Lord will arrive (heko) as a thief in the night; in the which (en heé)” or literally translated “in which” (the word “the” being absent from the original). The word en is used 2,831 times in Scripture and is overwhelmingly interpreted "in" or "within" throughout. Significantly, it is not translated as ‘near,’ ‘close to’ or ‘close by’ in any of these references. We must pause for one moment and ask an important question, “in which” what? Wherever one locates the day of the Lord we surely know it arrives “as a thief in the night” (or suddenly) “in which” certain things occur. What are these things that accompany the arrival of the day of the Lord? The above reading demonstrates how the day of the Lord “will come” suddenly “as a thief in the night; in the which”:

1. The heavens shall pass away / perish with a great noise.
                        2. The elements shall be ‘loosed by being set on fire’,
                        3. The earth shall be ‘burned up utterly / consumed wholly.
                        4. The works that are within the earth shall be ‘burned up utterly / consumed wholly.

And continues, “seeing then that all these things (that is 1-4) shall be luomenoon or dissolved / burned up utterly / consumed wholly. The old order of affairs is completely consumed by fire in a climactic conflagration in order to make way for the new eternal state.
                        The verse you quoted here says the day of the Lord comes suddenly. It doesn't day the earth is burned up suddenly. In the following sentence, what am I saying comes suddenly: "College football season is going to come suddenly in the which Florida will play Georgia". I am saying that college Football season is coming suddenly. I am not saying the Florida - Georgia game is sudden. The Florida - Georgia game is played sometime after the start of the season.

So I do not believe II Peter necessarily proves a-mill and the length of time of the day of the Lord is relevant. Like I said in a previous post the word "day" is not always used as a literal 24 hour period. If I say "back in the Roman's day", I am not speaking about a 24 hour period of time but rather an era.

Comment

The verse you quoted here says the day of the Lord comes suddenly. It doesn't day the earth is burned up suddenly. In the following sentence, what am I saying comes suddenly: "College football season is going to come suddenly in the which Florida will play Georgia". I am saying that college Football season is coming suddenly. I am not saying the Florida - Georgia game is sudden. The Florida - Georgia game is played sometime after the start of the season.

So I do not believe II Peter necessarily proves a-mill and the length of time of the day of the Lord is relevant. Like I said in a previous post the word "day" is not always used as a literal 24 hour period. If I say "back in the Roman's day", I am not speaking about a 24 hour period of time but rather an era.
                          Since we can see from 1 Thess 5:1-6 that the unbelievers are destroyed suddenly when the day of the Lord arrives, why wouldn't it make sense to see the destruction of the heavens and the earth as being sudden as well?

How exactly do you see the day of the Lord coming about? Do you believe it arrives with the second coming of Christ, as 2 Peter 3 indicates? If so, do you believe the earth will be burning uninhabited for a thousand years? Or do you see that it will only be partially burning while being inhabited by mortals at the same time? If so, where does it indicate that it would only be partially burned up?

Comment

First, there is not even a hint of 1,000 yrs in this text. You must insert it there, just like every other Second Coming passage. None show such a supposed future period.

Second, the appearance of the season is equated with matches. No matches, no season. It is not an abstract thing. The season's beginning is the beggining of the matches, just like the wrath arrives with the judgment of Christ. Anyway, Premils tend to like their own earthly parables/illustartions when their doctrine is not fitting. I prefer Scripture.

Third, I Thessalonians 5:2-7 says, the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.”

Please note (1) the destruction is “sudden” and (2) the wicked “shall not escape.” The fire that arrives is depicted as being totally destructive to the wicked.

Malachi says, "For behold, the day is coming, burning like an oven, and all the proud, yes, all who do wickedly will be stubble. And the day which is coming shall burn them up" (Malachi 4:1).

Here you have it!!!

WPM

Comment

Originally posted by John146 View Post
                              Since we can see from 1 Thess 5:1-6 that the unbelievers are destroyed suddenly when the day of the Lord arrives, why wouldn't it make sense to see the destruction of the heavens and the earth as being sudden as well?

How exactly do you see the day of the Lord coming about? Do you believe it arrives with the second coming of Christ, as 2 Peter 3 indicates? If so, do you believe the earth will be burning uninhabited for a thousand years? Or do you see that it will only be partially burning while being inhabited by mortals at the same time? If so, where does it indicate that it would only be partially burned up?
                              I thought I answered that in the post you responded to. I didn't say anything about any partial burning. What I was trying to say is that I do not believe the burning of the earth occurs at the beginning of the day of the Lord and that the day of the Lord is a longer time than a 24 hour period of time

Zech 14:8 is an example of where "day" cleary is not referring to a 24 hour period of time.

And it shall be in that day, [that] living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be.
                              I do not believe God is saying here that living waters are going to go out of Jerusalem for 24 hours and that's it. Same with verse 9

And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.

I believe the time the Lord is going to be king over all the earth is quite a bit longer than 24 hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X