I am new here and struggling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am new here and struggling...

I am new here and struggling with all of the End of Times talk. I am a Christian and I know that I shouldn't. I am church of Christ. I worry about my family that has not obeyed the gospel. This has caused huge conflict between my husband and I because I am worried. I can't eat or sleep. I want us to have kids and things like that should I skip it? There are people in here that talk like it will be before the end of November. I believe that while we are in the end of times that we don't measure time as God does.

Originally posted by Texasgirl2008 View Post
    This has caused huge conflict between my husband and I because I am worried.
    If you fellowship with other Christians, my advice is to not talk about it with them. That is one good thing about a forum where you are anonymous, because we do not know your husband.
    I had a girlfriend who was going to a fellowship and when I finally went one time, they acted like they hated me and were surprised to find out I was actually a Christian. My guess is she was going and not inviting me, so she could act like I was some sort of bad person.
    I am not saying you are like that but you do not want to make people be prejudiced against your husband. There was a case like that at my church, where a woman was complaining about her non-believing husband. When he did come over to Christ, he was afraid to go to church because he figured people would not like him.

Comment

I am new here and struggling with all of the End of Times talk. I am a Christian and I know that I shouldn't. I am church of Christ. I worry about my family that has not obeyed the gospel. This has caused huge conflict between my husband and I because I am worried. I can't eat or sleep. I want us to have kids and things like that should I skip it? There are people in here that talk like it will be before the end of November. I believe that while we are in the end of times that we don't measure time as God does.
      Howdy, fellow Texan!

My personal opinion is that we still have a number of years to go yet. There are others here that would say we've got even longer than that. Then there are the ones who have the proverbial suitcases packed and sitting next to the door right now. We really don't know anything for certain at this point, only that Jesus is coming at some point. The best thing for you to do is to go on with your life, just like the New Testament describes for us and to be the wife and mother that you have been called to be.

I Thessalonians 5:8-9 - "Let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ."
      ----------------------------------------------
      When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Let's put it this way Texasgirl. If I told you the world was going to end 50 years from now, would you still have kids? Truth is (assuming you're around 30, I have no idea) the world will end in about 50 years for you even if Christ isn't coming back for another 10,000. Your world could end tomorrow in a train wreck, car crash or slipping on a puddle in your kitchen and cracking your head open. Are you letting any of those things stop you from having kids?

Instead of concentrating on one possible way (rapture/Christ returning)your world could end, concentrate on living each day. Have your kids. Maybe they survive the tribulation and get to greet Jesus as he sets down on the Mount of Olives. Nobody knows when the end will come.

Comment

I would also point out that, from a Christian's point of view, the Tribulation is NOT the end of the world - it's the beginning!

Comment

Ok let me clarify, my husband is a very Christian man but he thinks the fact that I worry about it is a sin and the way I internalize things he is probably right. I guess just with election and the fact that this doomsday talking woman comes to my desk on a regular basis has caused me to kind of lose my way. I am continually praying about it. Please pray for me. By the way to who said they are assuming I am about 30, I am actually exactly 30. I am trying to do my best as a Christian wife and sometimes I fail. I was baptized a little less than a year ago. In the Church of Christ we do what is called a 5 part study on the road to being baptized. An elder from our church who is an evangelist and conducted my study told me the first year is the hardest year for a new Christian. I was raised southern Baptist and am now church of Christ and sometimes those doctorines don't intermingle too well. I walked the aisle when I was 11 and baptized but fell away during a bad marriage. When my husband and I now got married I started having questions. He was mad a God at that point I think. I don't really know that is between him and God. When I started asking questions my mother-in-law came and took me to the church we go now and by the next Wednesday my husband and I were in church together and have been ever since. While my mother-in-law doesn't speak to me now (she has a mental disorder so I just do what I can by praying for her) I thank her for that.

Comment

Maybe you should tell your friend that she is stressing you out. Or just say that you understand everything she says and can go about what you have to do without any further prodding.
              Not sleeping weakens your immune system and you need to keep yourself occupied and not do so much internalizing. I am great at that and put myself in the hospital five times. When you get a bad feeling in your gut, you have to immediately stop thinking about whatever you are thinking about.
              I was 30 when I first made myself sick. It took me another twenty to figure out how to stop making myself sick. Ask your husband to help you get more sleep and that might help. You get into a vicious circle where you worry and loose sleep and that makes you less able to control your thoughts and then you worry more and so on, until you end up dead or in the hospital. Well maybe not you, it manifests itself differently in each person but it does negatively affect you.

Comment

You know, people in the year 70 thought that Christ's return was imminent, and people in the year 1000 thought His return was imminent. I happen to believe that we aren't far off, but nobody but the Father really knows for sure. So I would say live your life how God would have you live it, and leave the rest up to Him.
                http://artmodellog.blogspot.com

Comment

This doomsday talking woman comes to my desk on a regular basis.
                  Is she a Christian? If so, ask her why she shouldn't look forward to the 2nd Coming. Yeah, it'll be tough for a few years, but afterward, we get to enjoy 1000 years of peace and prosperity and the best part is that Jesus will be right here on the earth with us! That hardly sounds like something to get down about to me. This doomsday woman needs to start looking more than 12 inches in front of her toes.

Comment

Originally posted by danielh41 View Post
                    You know, people in the year 70 thought that Christ's return was imminent, and people in the year 1000 thought His return was imminent. I happen to believe that we aren't far off, but nobody but the Father really knows for sure. So I would say live your life how God would have you live it, and leave the rest up to Him.
                    Another voice of reason, thank you.

Comment

Remember this, when Jesus came the first time it was different from what almost everybody (except the prophets) was expecting. I think it will be the same with his second coming. Too many theologins and Godly Pastors I respect are all over the board on this issue for me to put my feet in concrete on any one doctrine. Every generation since Jesus has thought it was the last before the second coming and eventually one will be right.

Comment

Ok let me clarify, my husband is a very Christian man but he thinks the fact that I worry about it is a sin and the way I internalize things he is probably right. I guess just with election and the fact that this doomsday talking woman comes to my desk on a regular basis has caused me to kind of lose my way. I am continually praying about it. Please pray for me. By the way to who said they are assuming I am about 30, I am actually exactly 30. I am trying to do my best as a Christian wife and sometimes I fail. I was baptized a little less than a year ago. In the Church of Christ we do what is called a 5 part study on the road to being baptized. An elder from our church who is an evangelist and conducted my study told me the first year is the hardest year for a new Christian. I was raised southern Baptist and am now church of Christ and sometimes those doctorines don't intermingle too well. I walked the aisle when I was 11 and baptized but fell away during a bad marriage. When my husband and I now got married I started having questions. He was mad a God at that point I think. I don't really know that is between him and God. When I started asking questions my mother-in-law came and took me to the church we go now and by the next Wednesday my husband and I were in church together and have been ever since. While my mother-in-law doesn't speak to me now (she has a mental disorder so I just do what I can by praying for her) I thank her for that.

Hi Texasgirl,

Tell the doomsday lady that God is in control and you are in God's hands. Nothing happens to the world until Christ says so. And if need be tell her to stop with her updates. You may actually find she is more scared than you are, thus the need to discuss it. She may be looking to you for courage, never can tell sometimes.

Also, my suggestion would be to concetrate on your relationship with Christ. Much time in prayer and Bible study. Put all your concerns before Him in prayer and allow Him to lead you on, day by day.

All this end time stuff can be overwhelming, take that fear and questions to Him in prayer. It is ok to be scared, it is not wise to ignore the One who can give you peace. Prayer and Bible study, allow Him to lead you on, He will not let you down.

And of course we are all here and you are welcome to talk to us. Regardless of our different views, none of us like to see anyone overly stressed with end times things. Most of us have been where you are, so it's ok, and we will try to help you find balance.

sigpic

Comment

Hello Texasgirl2008,

I've been on this board for about 5 years, and rarely check in these days. For some reason, I checked in today and saw your post. I am an evangelist among the churches of Christ.

What you are experiencing is not uncommon! I've talked to many, many people lately who are concerned about the times in which we live. This election coming up is an added stress.

One thing we need to remember: Jesus told us that no one knows the day when He will return, not even the Son (Matt. 24:36). Certainly not this one woman who approaches you at your desk!

What we have to remember is that Christ has won the victory, so whether the end comes now, or hundreds of years from now, we just have to trust in Him.

Now, as for your family, have you talked to them about their spiritual condition? The thought of death, dying and the judgment is a major motivator sometimes toward evangelism. If there is anything I can do to help you, just let me know.

[CENTER][SIZE=2]A FEW MINUTES WITH SOMEONE WHO LOVES YOU

Comment

Texasgirl,

First of all...you are not alone in how you are feeling. Many of us go through periods of fear over the Endtimes. It is human nature to fear change, and the unknown. I go through periods of intense fear, followed by overwhelming peace.

I am not afraid to die. I am not afraid to go home to be with Jesus. Infact, I look forward to that day.

So, my fears are of facing the unknown and having to watch my family go through the tribulation. I could face anything alone.

Should you have kids? I don't know. Should I stay in college fulltime while I am working fulltime and raising my family? I don't know. But, I still do it.

I once heard a preacher say that he was so convinced that the end was coming very soon back in the 1970s that he actually built his home on a cheap wooden foundation. He said that he now regrets that decision!!!!

In other words, live like the world may end tomorrow...but plan on being here for 50 more years!

And, the other posters were correct....for you-for any of us-the Endtimes could come with a simple accident or health condition. Noboby, nobody has any guarrantees.

My Dad was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor almost 2 years ago. He has had some rough times....but when he was first diagnosed he thought he'd be gone in six months-but he is still here and enjoying life. None of us have a clue when our end will come.

Texasgirl, ask God to educate you about the Endtimes...but to lessen your fear, and bring you peace. I ask him for peace about this subject several times a day.

Visit the forums often and vent when you need to. We've all been there!

Comment

Matt14 thank you for your post.

My dad always told me (while he has now fallen away and I don't know where he is) during the whole Y2K thing, he said do you really thing He is coming back while everyone is looking up waiting on him? He said the Bible says "he will come as a theif in the night".

As for my family, I have a set of grandparents that are as Southern Baptist as they come. One of them is glad I found my way back to church the other wasn't to happy about my conversion to C of C. My other set of grandparents choose to ignore the fact that God is around. Not that they don't believe.

I was raised going to church every time the doors opened. When I was 25 my parents got divorced. My dad was a deacon prior to the divorce and I don't think has been to church since. He is now remarried and lives in Pennsylvania and wants nothing to do with me. My mom who raised me quite well, is now living with a man she is not married to and the man is not divorced. Her boyfriend says when my husband and I talk about church, even if it is just we went to lunch with "so and so from church" he says well religion may be fine for you but it not for me. At that point my mother stops the discussion so as not to make him mad.

My mother-in-law who helped me in the beginning once she figured out I was staying (my husband and I have been married for 14 months and he did not marry until he was 35) she has decided I am horrible and she refuses to forgive me for something. She puts on the act and goes to church all the time (according to my sister-in-law that lives in the same town) but still is not very nice to any of us. Her husband I think has given up on going to church but I don't know that for sure. My father-in-law who was a leader in church during my husband's childhood has fallen away because his wife has a problem with God. The man has quoted almost the whole Bible to me word for word but this is still the situation.

So you can see why I am so concerned about my family.

Comment

Working...
                              X