"war, rumors of war" vs "peace and safety"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "war, rumors of war" vs "peace and safety"

Ok at five this morning after being woke up by my poor sick son again (he has the stomach flu..I already posted a prayer request for him)...I had been dreaming about these two passages and how they conflicted...I never thought about it before. Yet people on here (on the end times forum) are always using one OR the other to show how we are close to the end times..but never together...because obviously they don't work together. You can't have 'wars and rumors of wars' as listed in Matthew 24 AND people saying “Peace and safety!” as we read about in 1 Thessalonians 5 at the same time. I mean if there are wars going on...even rumors of wars...who is going to feel like they have peace and safety?

So apparently these two passages are not about the same event is all I can think of...

Here they are in content:

1 Thessalonians 5
    The Day of the Lord
    1 But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. 2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. 3 For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape. 4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. 5 You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness. 6 Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night. 8 But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. 9 For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him.
    11 Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing.

Matthew 24
    3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”

4 And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

We know before Jerusalem was invaded by the Roman army and its temple destroyed and many thousands killed...they were fighting with each other! The upper part of the city was warring with the lower part...they certainly weren't saying they had peace or safety. Plus they found underground tunnels under part of the old city where they thought they could hide from the Romans in event of a war...they knew it was coming because they were rebelling against Rome. They were far from feeling safe...there was wars and rumors of wars going on.

So anyway...I wanted to get some feed back on these two passages from you all...especially from those holding an amill or partial preterism point of view. Of course anyone is welcome to offer an opinion. Thanks.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Dunno. Maybe people will be talking about peace and safety? Trying to find peace and safety in a world full of war? Maybe they will think they found a solution, only to find out it was false? Dunno. Good question. I'll think.
    Дорогой Господь - Ти чудово! Дякую! Амінь.

Dear Lord - You're wonderful! Thank you. Amen.

Comment

The verse you quoted in Matthew 24 is not speaking about the end:

4 And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
      There have been "wars and rumours of war" since the first century.

As far as I thess goes, just because people are say "peace" does not mean they are at with peace with God.

Jer 8:11
      For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when [there is] no peace.
      If people are saying "peace and saftey" because they have crushed Christianity and killed God's people does not mean those people are at peace with God. Sudden destruction surely will come upon them.

Comment

Something I think worth noting:

In Matthew 24, Jesus prophecies of "wars and rumors of wars" and earthquakes, and famines. He then says "the end is not yet". He goes on to describe persecution of His followers. Then He says "then the end will come", meaning "the end" will come following the persecution of His followers. He then proceeds to prophesy about the "abomination that causes desolation", and that the people in Judea should flee, and so on. Parallel this to Mark 13 and Luke 21, and it's pretty obvious He's prophesying about the destruction of Jerusalem.

Consider that (a) His prophecies were contextualized by His apostles' questioning on when the second temple of Jerusalem (the one they were pointing at) would be destroyed, and that (b) the portion of His prophecies regarding the "abomination" and fleeing Judea is the only context in which the destruction of the second temple could fit in His prophecies.

Keeping those points in mind: Jesus was prophesying this sometime around 30 AD. He was living in the Pax Romana, the Roman Peace. Other than a few small revolts here and there, which were easily silenced, the Roman Empire was war-free during the time period that Jesus was making this prophecy. So when Jesus prophesied "you will hear of wars and rumors of wars", He was essentially saying "This time of peace will come to an end." And when did that happen? Well, hey... it came to an end when the First Jewish-Roman War erupted, which culminated in the destruction of the second temple of Jerusalem, which was the context of Jesus' prophecies in Matthew 24.
        To This Day

Comment

cwb The verse you quoted in Matthew 24 is not speaking about the end:

Quote:
          There have been "wars and rumours of war" since the first century.

As far as I thess goes, just because people are say "peace" does not mean they are at with peace with God.

Quote:
          Jer 8:11
          For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when [there is] no peace.
          If people are saying "peace and saftey" because they have crushed Christianity and killed God's people does not mean those people are at peace with God. Sudden destruction surely will come upon them.
          cwb...be patience with me here as I am tried...so maybe I am not understanding you right here...

I realize Jesus says there will be wars and rumors of wars as a SIGN along with many other signs...before the temple is destroyed..and many believe the literal end of the world comes. People on here use ALL of Matthew to point this out...which is why I am pointing this out now. They use that passage of wars as evidence of one of the signs the end is near..(hope that made sense).

Its just one thing in a lists of things He called the disciples to watch out for in answer to their questions..people do long post on here listing wars, natural disasters increasing, and other things listed in Matthew 24...as proof we are getting close to the end times.

On the Thessalonians, where does it say the peace and safety is in regards to having peace in Christ?....where does it say this because they have killed us? I truly don't understand where you are getting that idea from??? If we were dead at this point why would Paul be telling the believers to be sober and watch so we won't be taken surprised like the nonbelievers will?

And I really don't understand the Jer 8:11 verse...what daughter is healed and what does that have to do with this topic? The only part of that verse says peace...but nothing about safety. We never see any verses saying we have safety in Jesus...only peace...so I don't take the peace and safety as a spiritual thing, but a literal thing.

God bless
          "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

People will be saying "peace and safety" not because it's happening, but because they'll be dreaming of it and thinking they're about to achieve it. At the end of the Tribulation, the world’s believers will be near the point of total defeat as we see described in Revelation 13 and Daniel 7. In addition, the still-surviving Jews will be holed up in Petra/Bosra, southeast of present-day Israel. The Antichrist will have gathered the world’s armies together at Armageddon, as we see in Revelation 16, and they will be preparing to move down to Petra/Bosra to annihilate the remaining Jews. Since the world will be convinced by this point that the various plagues they’ve been enduring (as we see described in Revelation are the fault of the Jews and Christians, they’ll believe that annihilating us all will be the key to ending the plagues and ushering in the peace and safety the Antichrist had been promising since his rise to power. Since they’ll be on the brink of victory at Armageddon, they’ll be anticipating a great triumph, just as baseball fans in Philadelphia were anticipating a World Series championship earlier this week. But at the last instant, the sky will rip apart as we see described in Revelation’s Sixth Seal and the Lord will appear. The world will realize what they’re really up against – the Day of the Lord.
            ----------------------------------------------
            When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Originally posted by markedward View Post

In Matthew 24, Jesus prophecies of "wars and rumors of wars" and earthquakes, and famines. He then says "the end is not yet". He goes on to describe persecution of His followers. Then He says "then the end will come", meaning "the end" will come following the persecution of His followers. He then proceeds to prophesy about the "abomination that causes desolation", and that the people in Judea should flee, and so on. Parallel this to Mark 13 and Luke 21, and it's pretty obvious He's prophesying about the destruction of Jerusalem.

Consider that (a) His prophecies were contextualized by His apostles' questioning on when the second temple of Jerusalem (the one they were pointing at) would be destroyed, and that (b) the portion of His prophecies regarding the "abomination" and fleeing Judea is the only context in which the destruction of the second temple could fit in His prophecies.

Keeping those points in mind: Jesus was prophesying this sometime around 30 AD. He was living in the Pax Romana, the Roman Peace. Other than a few small revolts here and there, which were easily silenced, the Roman Empire was war-free during the time period that Jesus was making this prophecy. So when Jesus prophesied "you will hear of wars and rumors of wars", He was essentially saying "This time of peace will come to an end." And when did that happen? Well, hey... it came to an end when the First Jewish-Roman War erupted, which culminated in the destruction of the second temple of Jerusalem, which was the context of Jesus' prophecies in Matthew 24.

Who ever called it Roman Peace though? I mean the Roman's terrorized everyone which is why the Jews were looking for a Messiah to save them from Romes oppression in the first place. The Jews didn't feel at peace or safe under them...they went around crucifying anyone and everyone and at one point crucified 2000 people between one city to another to terrorize people into submission. I just couldn't image Jews or gentile..or anyone under their rule saying peace and safety. I know if I lived under their rule, I wouldn't be saying that.

While I agree Matthew 24 is about the destruction of the temple...I am wondering if Thessalonians is about something else completely...

God bless

Comment

Originally posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
                People will be saying "peace and safety" not because it's happening, but because they'll be dreaming of it and thinking they're about to achieve it. At the end of the Tribulation, the world’s believers will be near the point of total defeat as we see described in Revelation 13 and Daniel 7. In addition, the still-surviving Jews will be holed up in Petra/Bosra, southeast of present-day Israel. The Antichrist will have gathered the world’s armies together at Armageddon, as we see in Revelation 16, and they will be preparing to move down to Petra/Bosra to annihilate the remaining Jews. Since the world will be convinced by this point that the various plagues they’ve been enduring (as we see described in Revelation are the fault of the Jews and Christians, they’ll believe that annihilating us all will be the key to ending the plagues and ushering in the peace and safety the Antichrist had been promising since his rise to power. Since they’ll be on the brink of victory at Armageddon, they’ll be anticipating a great triumph, just as baseball fans in Philadelphia were anticipating a World Series championship earlier this week. But at the last instant, the sky will rip apart as we see described in Revelation’s Sixth Seal and the Lord will appear. The world will realize what they’re really up against – the Day of the Lord.
                Well I know alot of atheist that think everyone of any religion should be done away with THEN the world will have peace (they say). They think all the wars, and fighting and all the bad things are a result of religion...so if all religion is gone the world will have peace. They deny that Stalin and others that killed millions were atheist...but 'something else'...and that true atheist wouldn't do that (though in order for that to be true, they couldn't get rid of us.) Doesn't make much sense does it? (but the are logical and we are not! ...right....)

God bless

Comment

I think it's possible that it the "day of the Lord" in Thessalonians could be referring to the 70 AD events, or a future one.

Let's examine the usage of "the Day of YHWH" in the OT, based on their contexts.

Isaiah 2:12 - The context could be interpreted either as a soon event or a distant event.

Isaiah 13:6-9 - The context points to the coming Babylonian destruction of Jerusalem.

Isaiah 34:4, 8-10 - The context points to judgment upon ancient Edom.

Jeremiah 46:10 - The context points to judgment upon ancient Egypt and the pharaoh.

Lamentations 2:22 - The context speaks of a past event.

Ezekiel 13:5 - The context points towards the coming Babylonian destruction of Jerusalem.

Ezekiel 30:3 - The context points towards judgment upon ancient Egypt.

Joel 1:15, 2:1,11,31, 3:14 - The context could be interpreted either as a soon event or a distant event.

Amos 5:18-20 - The context points towards judgment upon the Northern Kingdom (Israel), during the divided monarchy.

Obadiah 1:15 - The context points towards judgment upon ancient Edom.

Zephaniah 1:8,14,18-2:3 - The context points toward the Southern Kingdom (Judah), during the divided monarchy.

Zechariah 14:1 - The context could be interpreted either as a soon event or a distant event.

Malachi 4:5 - The context points to a distant event; what should be noted in this instance, however, is that it explicitly mentions the Elijah to come, which Gabriel prophesied would be John the Baptist, and which Jesus verified multiple times. This would lend strong evidence towards this "Day of YHWH" being a distant event to 'Malachi', but a near event to Elijah/John the Baptist... which, obviously, would end up being the 70 AD event.

Of all the times the "Day of YHWH", or "Day of the LORD" was mentioned in the OT, most of those instances referred to events that had ancient fulfillments, and were of direct consequence to the people living in the time periods that those prophecies were made. So it's very well possible that the "Day of the LORD" that Paul spoke of was one that was of direct consequence to the people living in the same time period as he was making that prophecy.
                  To This Day

Comment

I think it's possible that it the "day of the Lord" in Thessalonians could be referring to the 70 AD events, or a future one.

Let's examine the usage of "the Day of YHWH" in the OT, based on their contexts.

Isaiah 2:12 - The context could be interpreted either as a soon event or a distant event.

Isaiah 13:6-9 - The context points to the coming Babylonian destruction of Jerusalem.

Isaiah 34:4, 8-10 - The context points to judgment upon ancient Edom.

Jeremiah 46:10 - The context points to judgment upon ancient Egypt and the pharaoh.

Lamentations 2:22 - The context speaks of a past event.

Ezekiel 13:5 - The context points towards the coming Babylonian destruction of Jerusalem.

Ezekiel 30:3 - The context points towards judgment upon ancient Egypt.

Joel 1:15, 2:1,11,31, 3:14 - The context could be interpreted either as a soon event or a distant event.

Amos 5:18-20 - The context points towards judgment upon the Northern Kingdom (Israel), during the divided monarchy.

Obadiah 1:15 - The context points towards judgment upon ancient Edom.

Zephaniah 1:8,14,18-2:3 - The context points toward the Southern Kingdom (Judah), during the divided monarchy.

Zechariah 14:1 - The context could be interpreted either as a soon event or a distant event.

Malachi 4:5 - The context points to a distant event; what should be noted in this instance, however, is that it explicitly mentions the Elijah to come, which Gabriel prophesied would be John the Baptist, and which Jesus verified multiple times. This would lend strong evidence towards this "Day of YHWH" being a distant event to 'Malachi', but a near event to Elijah/John the Baptist... which, obviously, would end up being the 70 AD event.

Of all the times the "Day of YHWH", or "Day of the LORD" was mentioned in the OT, most of those instances referred to events that had ancient fulfillments, and were of direct consequence to the people living in the time periods that those prophecies were made. So it's very well possible that the "Day of the LORD" that Paul spoke of was one that was of direct consequence to the people living in the same time period as he was making that prophecy.
                    Maybe...maybe not..many prophecies took hundreds if not thousands of years to be fulfilled though. Just look at the prophecies in regards to Jesus...but then that isn't in regards to judgment either...

errr...I am only half here...not enough sleep last night...Nate keeps dozing off...I am hoping for a nap so I can think straight again...

so just ignore me until I get some sleep!

God bless

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post
                      cwb...be patience with me here as I am tried...so maybe I am not understanding you right here...

I realize Jesus says there will be wars and rumors of wars as a SIGN along with many other signs...before the temple is destroyed..and many believe the literal end of the world comes. People on here use ALL of Matthew to point this out...which is why I am pointing this out now. They use that passage of wars as evidence of one of the signs the end is near..(hope that made sense).

Its just one thing in a lists of things He called the disciples to watch out for in answer to their questions..people do long post on here listing wars, natural disasters increasing, and other things listed in Matthew 24...as proof we are getting close to the end times.

On the Thessalonians, where does it say the peace and safety is in regards to having peace in Christ?....where does it say this because they have killed us? I truly don't understand where you are getting that idea from??? If we were dead at this point why would Paul be telling the believers to be sober and watch so we won't be taken surprised like the nonbelievers will?

And I really don't understand the Jer 8:11 verse...what daughter is healed and what does that have to do with this topic? The only part of that verse says peace...but nothing about safety. We never see any verses saying we have safety in Jesus...only peace...so I don't take the peace and safety as a spiritual thing, but a literal thing.

God bless
                      My point on Matthew 24 was that "wars and rumours of wars" should not
                      be used as proof the end times are close. Jesus was not talking the end in that verse.

As far as thess., I only used Jer 8:11 to show that just because people say peace does not mean there is peace. At the time of the end, I believe the unbelievers will think they have succeeded at destroying Christianity. Yet they have another thing coming.

Comment

I personally think that Jesus was letting them know to not pay attention to worldly events as signs. He essentially calls rumors of wars and the rest non signs when answering the question about the end times.
                        Acts 17:11

Comment

Jesus stated...."the end is not yet" because those on the earth at this time will believe it is the end when they see these things.

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post
                            Ok at five this morning after being woke up by my poor sick son again (he has the stomach flu..I already posted a prayer request for him)...I had been dreaming about these two passages and how they conflicted...I never thought about it before. Yet people on here (on the end times forum) are always using one OR the other to show how we are close to the end times..but never together...because obviously they don't work together. You can't have 'wars and rumors of wars' as listed in Matthew 24 AND people saying “Peace and safety!” as we read about in 1 Thessalonians 5 at the same time. I mean if there are wars going on...even rumors of wars...who is going to feel like they have peace and safety?

So apparently these two passages are not about the same event is all I can think of...

Here they are in content:

1 Thessalonians 5
                            The Day of the Lord
                            1 But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. 2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. 3 For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape. 4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. 5 You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness. 6 Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night. 8 But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. 9 For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him.
                            11 Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing.

Matthew 24
                            3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”

We know before Jerusalem was invaded by the Roman army and its temple destroyed and many thousands killed...they were fighting with each other! The upper part of the city was warring with the lower part...they certainly weren't saying they had peace or safety. Plus they found underground tunnels under part of the old city where they thought they could hide from the Romans in event of a war...they knew it was coming because they were rebelling against Rome. They were far from feeling safe...there was wars and rumors of wars going on.

So anyway...I wanted to get some feed back on these two passages from you all...especially from those holding an amill or partial preterism point of view. Of course anyone is welcome to offer an opinion. Thanks.

God bless

First there will be wars and rumors of wars ect..... this is your future WW3 to end all wars. Then after this end of the world like chaos there will be one claiming to be God which will do away when the enemies and usher in "peace and safety" to those left on earth so they think.

WW3 - plagues, wars

Mt 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

Elimination of the enemy

Mt 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

One claiming to be God - peace and safety

Mt 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand

Sudden destruction

1th 5:3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

Mt 24:19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

We see the same parrallel when the true Christ returns, first there is wars, plagues ect.... then the elimination of the enemy followed by the one true God but bringing everlasting peace and safety.

Comment

The peace and safety time occurs after the two witnesses get slain in the final days of the tribulation.

The wicked world will send gifts to each other.
                              party time

But Jesus returns and sudden destruction comes on those wicked thought peace and safety was going on people.
                              http://prophecyinsights.com

Comment

Working...
                              X